Part One

To Be A Rose

 

Jongdae had finally settled down to sleep. It had been exhausting getting the poodle haired little boy to fall asleep but once he was down for the count then he was out all night. It was one of the great things about his son. He wasn’t an extraordinarily difficult child. Well that was a bit of a lie. Jongdae could certainly be difficult but then after those moments were over he was laid back and easy to deal with. So no, his son wasn’t ridiculously difficult; okay maybe just sometimes or half the time.

 

Regardless Baekhyun loved little Jongdae. The little boy was adorable.

He smoothed down the light blue comforter decorated with dinosaurs before leaning down to kiss the sleeping boy’s forehead. Once done he picked up the toys scattered across the floor and put them away in the chest at the foot of the bed. He tiredly made his way to the door and gave the room a cursory look before turning off the light and flicking on the dinosaur nightlight by the door.

The door quietly shut behind him, Baekhyun made his way over to the kitchen where the general mess of dinner with a toddler had been left behind. There were noodles all splattered over the table and the floor. The sippy cup, Jongdae still insisted on using despite being old enough not to need anymore, was leaking onto the tile floor.

Despite being exhausted from a busy day at work, teaching middle school kids algebra and geometry was taxing beyond belief, and making sure Jongdae had eaten, taken a bath, and been put to bed Baekhyun set about cleaning up the kitchen. This for Baekhyun meant rinsing the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher, cleaning the treasured sippy cup by hand, and then wiping down all the dirty surfaces with a lemon scented wipe before he could even get started on the floor that needed a good cleaning too. Ten minutes later everything was clean again and Baekhyun felt like falling asleep on the newly cleaned floor. His room was so very far away.

And yet he couldn’t do that. With a lot of concentrated strength he forced himself up from the floor where he’d taken residence after he’d finished cleaning it and reached into one of the cupboards for a plate and aluminum foil. He served up his husband’s dinner, wrapped it up and set it in the oven to keep it warm until the other came home. His last duties taken care of Baekhyun dragged himself to his room and tossed his clothes aside before toppling into bed dead to the world in a matter of seconds.

~~

The upbeat melody of SNSD’s Kissing You woke Baekhyun up at precisely five thirty in the morning. He let the song play for a few seconds longer before turning the alarm off. A quick look to his right showed him his still sleeping husband. Baekhyun smiled softly at the sight before sliding out of bed slowly and quietly, no need to wake Chanyeol up quite yet.

Thirty minutes later the clock said six o’clock, right on schedule. Baekhyun was dressed and preparing breakfast for the three of them; a simple meal of scrambled eggs and bacon with coffee for the adults and fresh orange juice for the toddler. The smell of the food brought the other two members of the household out of their respective rooms. They murmured quiet good mornings and set about eating their food.

Six thirty the dishes had been set in the sink and Jongdae was taking his morning shower with Baekhyun’s supervision. Six forty found Baekhyun having the usual morning argument with Jongdae about what he should wear to school.  Six fifty Jongdae was running around the house looking for his backpack even though Baekhyun had put it back in the same place he always did every day after they came home together and Baekhyun was preparing Jongdae’s lunch.

Seven o’clock: Jongdae was strapped into his booster seat and ready for the drive to school. Seven twenty five meant walking Jongdae to the playground so he could play with the other children before his class started in half an hour. Seven thirty meant driving to the middle school where Baekhyun worked. Seven fifty meant preparing for class and eight o’clock meant a whole new day of math lessons.

It was routine. Baekhyun smiled at his students as they piled into the classroom. It was the same thing day in and day out.

~~

“And then Taehyung was like Jongdae lets hide from the girls because they’re gross. So I went with him and we hid from the girls and it was so fun! We played secret agents and ran across the obstacle course. We had to be careful though because there was lava everywhere and that’s dangerous.” As Jongdae recounted his adventures of the day Baekhyun drove the white Corolla to the park. Junmyeon and his boys would be waiting there for them.

“That sounds like a lot of fun. Tell me Jongdae did you manage to stay out of the lava the entire time?” He said over his shoulder, the smile obvious even in his voice. Hearing his son talk about his school days was always nice to hear. He lived such a happy life playing with his classmates, learning, and just endlessly imagining new games to play. Baekhyun loved how creative his son was.

“I did, Daddy! It was super hard but I did it! I even had to save Taehyung a couple times. That guy slips a lot. Like a lot. I thought we wouldn’t finish the mission Daddy. I really did.”

“But you did right?” Baekhyun turned around briefly to look at the little boy in the back seat who nodded vigorously upon meeting his father’s eyes.

“Oh yeah!”

“Well then I’ll tell you where we’re going since you deserve a reward for being such a good secret agent. We’re going to go see your Uncle Junmyeon, Yixing, and Tao at the park so you can play. How does that sound?”

“Yay! I get to see Taozi and Xingzi. Yay! Thank you Daddy!” Through the rearview mirror Baekhyun could see his son practically bouncing up and down in his seat. The little boy’s firmly fixed on the view out of the window, clearing looking for the ever approaching park where he would get to play.

Jongdae didn’t have to wait much longer as Baekhyun pulled into the parking spot beside the Wu’s black Range Rover. Baekhyun had just enough time to get his things into his messenger back before getting out of the car to let his bouncy son out of the car. The boy ran across the grass in front of the car towards his waiting friends and their father. Baekhyun followed behind him at a more sedate pace, eyes all the while on his son in case something was in his way. Baekhyun arrived at the picnic table Junmyeon had taken up residence at while Jongdae began running around the playground with Yixing and Tao.

“I see you haven’t talked Chanyeol into the Mercedes yet.” Junmyeon said in way of hello as he typed on his MacBook. Baekhyun set his things down in front of him before taking a seat.

“Oh god no. He says that the day we both are as loaded as you and Yifan are that then we’ll both have overly expensive cars.” Baekhyun pulled out a stack of homework assignments and two red pens. Junmyeon shut his computer and reached for the stack of papers, he was well versed in helping his friend grade papers while their children played.

“Chanyeol acts like he doesn’t make a boat load of money. Especially with the incoming merger. Our boys are going to be earning even more now Baekhyunnie.” Junmyeon divided the stack by class periods before beginning to grade one. Baekhyun took another class period and did the same.

“I know but you can’t even deny how much money Yifan and you have without having to work. You both come from wealthy families. Chanyeol and I don’t. We’re used to the whole saving money thing. Even if I really want that Mercedes I can understand where he’s coming from. You two just throw money at each other, your boys, and basically everyone else. Don’t get me wrong I love everything I get from you two but it’s different with us.” He neatly crossed out an answer and wrote in the correct one before looking up to check on the boys. They were still playing. Junmyeon sighed and looked up to look at the boys as well.

“I know that. Believe me it’s hard to forget how much money there’s between the two of us. We have so many friends that it’s quite clear our money practically defines us.  At least in their eyes. Then there’s Chanyeol and you who aren’t like them. So we spoil you because we appreciate you being our actual friends. You are right though, Yifan and I throw money at our sons. Tao has already begun to take a liking to Gucci. He’s four. I’m already concerned.”

Baekhyun looked up from the paper he was grading to give Junmyeon a grin. The older looked at him with a pout on his face. The knowing look that spread across the younger’s face made Junmyeon pout even more.

“Did I warn you or did I warn you Junmyeon-ah?”

“You warned me. You warned Yifan. We didn’t listen.” The older ran a hand through his perfectly coiffed blond hair while looking away from his friend to look at his youngest son. The little boy running around in Gucci shoes.

“Well there’s still time. He’s four after all.”

“I don’t know about that. This is what he uses for school. He’s convinced it’s a panda even though I’ve repeatedly corrected him and told him it’s a raccoon.” The blond held up a round bag with straps that could easily be confused for a panda. At least at first glance.  “Meanwhile Yixing just has a backpack with a unicorn on it. Which is a whole different story but still.”

“You made your bed now lie in it. The worst thing that could happen is that you run out of money but the likelihood of that isn’t very high. You’ve got this new book and Yifan is working on that merger plus old money. You’ll be rich forever and Tao will probably own every Gucci collection.” Baekhyun picked up his pen again to continue correcting the homework he’d brought. Out of the corner of his eye he could see Junmyeon setting down Tao’s designer school bag and picking up his own pen.

“The prospect of my youngest being a Gucci addict is not that great.”

“It is your fault.”

“What’s Junmyeon’s fault?” A new voice asked and both of them turned to look up at Yifan dressed in a neatly pressed three piece suit. Dolce & Gabbana upon closer inspection. Baekhyun couldn’t resist smiling. The way the Wu’s flaunted their money never ceased to amuse him.

“Tao’s love for all things Gucci. Which isn’t completely my fault considering Yifan is the one who took them shopping for school supplies this year. I told him make sure they have good things. Brand names are preferable to cheap imitation things that get ruined easily. By that I did not mean going to Gucci.” Junmyeon answered, his last words aimed directly at his husband.  The other blond shrugged his shoulders before taking a seat across from them.

“He liked it. I couldn’t say no plus he’s taking good care of it. Surprisingly for a four year old.” Yifan set his keys and phone down in front of him and e of the stacks of homework in his direction with a flick of his fingers. He looked down at it briefly before frowning and turning it back in their direction. Yifan never helped Baekhyun grade.

“Where’s Chanyeol?” Baekhyun asked before the two blonds could start arguing over Tao’s developing love for all things Gucci.

“Oh, he’s still at the office. I didn’t feel like finishing my side of the merger and Junmyeon was bringing the kids out anyway so I decided to leave early. Chanyeol insisted on finishing his paperwork before leaving so…here we are. One Yifan and no Chanyeol.” Yifan shrugged again. Tao let out an excited yell upon seeing his Baba sitting there with his Appa and Uncle.

The children quickly made their way over to the adults. Jongdae running a hand through his curly hair to get the sand out of it. Baekhyun laughed and waved his son over to help him. The boy hurried and bent his head so his Daddy could take care of it which Baekhyun did.  Yixing and Tao were hugging Yifan tightly and talking at the same time, telling him all about their day. The Chinese man listened to his sons intently not paying any attention to the fact they’d wrinkled his expensive suit. The Wu’s for all their money loved their children dearly and that was why

Baekhyun loved having them as friends. They were a great example.

“Why don’t you three go play some more? Afterwards we’ll go get dinner and a treat if you all finish your food.” Yifan suggested to the boys and they nodded before running off again to continue their game. He sighed happily and turned back to face the other two.

“Do you think Chanyeol will join us for dinner? He should be done by then no?” Junmyeon asked as he finished his class period and reached for another stack. Baekhyun looked up in interest at the question. His husband spent so much time working these days that he hardly ever saw him and here was Yifan equally busy but here none the less.

“Possibly. We should call him and tell him to join us. Otherwise he’ll stay there until some ungodly hour working on this merger. It’s going well but he’s very insistent on doing the work as soon as possible. I honestly don’t know how he hasn’t crashed yet. He drinks so much coffee at the office.” Yifan’s answer immediately made Baekhyun worry because as far as he’d known Chanyeol wasn’t overdoing it with caffeine on top of overdoing it with work.

“I’ll call him now and make sure he comes to dinner with us. Where should we go?” Baekhyun asked while pulling his phone out and clicking on his husband’s contact. He pressed call on the cell phone number and brought it up to his ear. As it rang and rang Junmyeon answered.

“That fried chicken place we used to go to all the time back in Uni. The boys love it there.” Baekhyun nodded in acceptance just as the call went through.

“Hello?” Chanyeol’s voice was deep as ever and incredibly distracted given the fact he only said a cursory greeting.

“Chanyeol-ah. You need to come have dinner with us. We’re all going to the fried chicken place by the university. I’m sure the work can wait.” Baekhyun said without further ado. He knew that asking when his husband was in the middle of something would just lead to a whole lot of excuses. Telling Chanyeol what to do worked far better.

“Baekhyun I need to finish this paperwork. It’s going to be at least another two hours. I don’t want to put it off like Yifan. Just because one of us is doing that doesn’t mean the other should. It sets a bad example for everyone that works for us.” The sound of a pen scratching across paper could be heard over the phone and Baekhyun resisted the urge to roll his eyes. Even when he called Chanyeol wouldn’t stop working.

“You’re not wrong but just this once come on. Besides Yifan doesn’t always leave early and you should be able to do so once in a while. You’re one of the company founders and the merger papers will be there tomorrow. Just come have dinner please.” Today it seemed was not one of those days when telling Chanyeol what to do worked. He’d have to actually ask it of his ever so busy husband. Baekhyun didn’t like it when things came down to this.

“Fine. What time?” The exasperated tone that Chanyeol used would’ve normally put Baekhyun on edge but now it only worried him. Yifan’s words still ringing in his ears.

“In thirty minutes. I’ll see you there. Don’t be late. Love you.” The worry seeped into his tone but it didn’t seem to register in Chanyeol for he merely muttered a quick farewell with a ‘love you too’ thrown in before hanging up. Baekhyun pulled the phone away from his ear and set it down on the picnic table. His friends didn’t say anything as he packed up his things.

“Jongdae! Yixing! Tao! We’re going now. Come on!” Junmyeon called while Baekhyun finished packing up. The children hurried over and Baekhyun smiled gratefully at his friend. The other nodded at him before packing up his things. Yifan quickly hopped off the bench and began leading the boys to the row of cars to give them time alone.

“Baek don’t be so troubled by it. He’s working right now and there’s a lot on his plate. Maybe he doesn’t skive off as much as Yifan but that isn’t something to be too worried about. As soon as the merger goes through you’ll see things will get better. The caffeine thing won’t be a problem. Just don’t over think it okay?” Junmyeon murmured and Baekhyun nodded. He couldn’t quite find the comfort Junmyeon was trying to give but he tried none the less.

“Yeah. I just need to trust him to take care of himself. You’re right. Things will change once the merger has gone through.” Baekhyun nodded to himself and tried to take his own words to heart. There was nothing to worry about yet. Chanyeol just worked more than he needed to but Chanyeol was also an adult. He could take care of himself.

“There you go. Smile! We’re getting chicken today. Fried chicken. Yifan has been on this dieting kick. Eating lots of greens and nothing fried. It’s ridiculous. I wouldn’t have gotten away with this if you hadn’t been there.” Junmyeon said as they headed towards the cars. All three of the boys were sitting in Yifan’s Mercedes laughing while they waited for their fathers.

“Nice to know that’s what I’m here for.” Baekhyun sassed and while it was convincing enough that even Junmyeon was fooled, Baekhyun wasn’t. He was getting worried now. He couldn’t stop it.

~~

Chanyeol showed up ten minutes late. Not that Baekhyun had been counting or anything. (He had been.) Unlike Yifan who managed to look pressed and pristine despite a day of work, Chanyeol looked like he hadn’t changed in days. His suit was wrinkled and his tie was crooked. His hair looked like someone had shoved their hands in it and pulled constantly. That someone was obviously Chanyeol himself, given his habit of running his hands through his hair when he was stressed.

Baekhyun could read his husband. He could see the stress, the sleep deprivation, the annoyance. Bits and pieces of all kinds of emotions. It wasn’t something he saw in the mornings when they were having breakfast. Chanyeol was usually in a pretty happy mood in the mornings but now? That mood was quite clearly gone. It had been so long since Baekhyun had seen Chanyeol at any time but mornings. His husband looked so different. He didn’t like it.

“Appa! Appa! I need to tell you all about school today!” Jongdae said excitedly. His eyes only for his Appa. Chanyeol smiled at Jongdae and it was just as loving a smile as always. That made Baekhyun feel slightly better. At least where Jongdae was concerned Chanyeol hadn’t changed.

“Tell me all about it buddy.” Chanyeol answered before sipping his water. Jongdae began retelling his story from earlier. A million times more dramatic than what Baekhyun had heard. Everyone around the table was listening intently except for Baekhyun who kept his eyes on Chanyeol. He just wanted to understand what his husband was going through now because now it had become clear that they were drifting apart.

The food arrived just as Jongdae finished his story. Tao and Yixing had been murmuring about how cool it was. Jongdae promised to find them during lunch so they could play with him and Taehyung. They’d set about planning their secret mission for the next day while Junmyeon distributed the food out. Once the last plate had been filled with just a little bit of everything they’d ordered, they dug into their food.

Baekhyun tore his eyes away from his husband and ate slowly, focusing instead on his food. All the watching he’d done hadn’t gotten him far. He hadn’t been able to pinpoint what exactly was going on with Chanyeol. Not above the superficial explanation of having to work all the time and that couldn’t be the sole answer. His husband was far too strained for that.

~~

Tonight things were different. Jongdae spent time with both his parents before being put to bed. The lights went off after he’d drifted off and instead of one set of steps walking away quietly from the door it was two. It hadn’t been like this in a long time. Baekhyun couldn’t even remember the last time it had happened. It had been so long ago now.

 

“Yeol can we talk?” The quiet request was answered by a simple hum from the man already resting in the king sized bed in nothing but his boxers. Baekhyun finished changing before sitting beside his husband in bed. The taller man simply turned his head and raised in eyebrow as if asking him what he wanted. Baekhyun bit his lip before speaking again.

“I just wanted to know how things are. You’re always so busy. This is the first time in months that we’ve had dinner together. I only see you in the mornings. You work weekends for the same long hours of a weekday. Is something going on?” There it was again. The worry that had seeped into his tone during their phone call. Baekhyun didn’t want his husband to know he was worried because he knew Chanyeol would lie then. Anything to reassure Baekhyun that things would be okay and right now he wanted an honest answer not a reassurance.

“Just work Baek. Just work. There’s the merger and the constant paperwork pile. I like to go through everything more than once. It takes time away from shared dinners but it gets us money in the end. There’s money for whatever we need now. Jongdae won’t ever have to worry about that and neither will you. We just have to sacrifice a little for a better future. Okay? Don’t worry about this.” And there it was. The reassurance that always answered Baekhyun’s worry. The lie.

Baekhyun wanted to laugh but he didn’t. He feared he’d sound bitter.

“I’m not worried. I just want to know. Be aware so that I can help you in any way that I can, you know? We’re partners. The way you always help me when finals time comes around is the way I want to help you if you need it. Just…don’t leave me in the dark. That’s all I ask.” Looking down into Chanyeol’s warm eyes put Baekhyun at peace finally. More so than any of Chanyeol’s reassurances ever had. The taller nodded in agreement and reached up to run a finger down Baekhyun’s cheek.

Baekhyun smiled down at his husband before sliding down from his sitting position so he could rest against the other. Chanyeol immediately pulled him into his arms and kissed his hair.

“I love you Park Baekhyun. More than anything. I promise to never leave you in the dark.” The words were whispered ever so softly into his ear. Baekhyun turned in Chanyeol’s arms to seal the promise with a kiss.

~~

And for a few weeks the promise was kept. The merger went through and Chanyeol was home every day again for dinner. After tucking their son into bed the couple would always lay in bed together just talking for a couple minutes. They’d talk about Baekhyun’s students and the interns at the company. They’d go over their plans. They’d make new plans. Baekhyun would tell Chanyeol all about the gossip Junmyeon had gotten from his circle of friends and they’d laugh at the absurdity of it all.

Their marriage was just like it was before. It was fruitful and content. It was happy.

It didn’t last long.

~~

A/N: Well that concludes the first part of this. See you all soon because I've already written most of it. Thanks again for reading and all that jazz.