Chapter 5

Family of Five

"Seungyeon ah, seungyeon.."

 
Seungyeon gradually opened her eyes to the calling of a gentle and soothing voice.
 
Her blurred vision started to clear up and she realised that it belonged to Gyuri.
 
"hey..don't you have to go out today? " Seungyeon groaned.
 
"어머나 세상에... I'm already back! It's already 6pm and almost time for dinner! Have you been sleeping the entire day? Are you unwell? Oh my! You're running a fever! Let me get a cool patch for you!"
 
Gyuri gasped at the sudden heat  from Seungyeon's forehead against her cool palm.
 
"Nah.. i'm fine....Let's just- "
 
Seungyeon groaned as Gyuri had already scurried out of the room to prepare the medicine before she could finish.
 
WAIT. DINNER!???
 
Seungyeon suddenly shrieked and looked at her phone where the unread messages from nicole remained popped up in her notifications.
 
4:00 AM: Sure. i'll be free in the afternoon after I run an errand so let's just meet at the usual café at 1pm.
 
1:02PM: i'm here. Where are you?
 
1:30PM: hello???? 
 
Seungyeon clutched her hair in frustration and let out a frustrated groan. 
 
I just messed up my only chance to make up for what happened with nicole yesterday. Now she's going to be more than mad at me.
 
Seungyeon frowned and placed her palm on her forehead. The heat from the fever was slowly getting to her.
 
Gyuri hurried back with a cool patch and some puke bags. Placing the cool patch on her skin, Seungyeon winced at the sudden coolness and frowned in discomfort.
 
"I'm preparing some porridge for you. Have some before you take your medication, you can't go on an empty stomach when you're on medication. In the meanwhile keep the patch on your forehead to cool the fever. "
 
Gyuri nagged worriedly even while Seungyeon was delirious and left the room quickly to watch her stove, while Seungyeon sighed...
 
Why does this have to happen to me of all times..
 
After a few minutes, Gyuri came back into the room, blowing gently into a bowl but Seungyeon had fallen asleep.
 
Gyuri raised and eyebrow and shook her head.
 
Walking over, she tapped seungyeon lightly to wake her to take in some of the porridge.
 
"yah, seungyeon ah, wake up... Have some porridge so you can take your medication."
 
With much annoyance, Seungyeon woke up and Gyuri only barely managed to feed her almost minimal but sufficient amount of food to last for a few hours and so she wouldn't feel too bloated or full enough for her to puke. However, the symptoms of fever acted up and she couldn't control herself and vomited into one of the puke bags.
 
Gyuri patted Seungyeon and rubbed her back lightly so she could feel better and despite the stench of the vomit which was probably enough for one to start puking as well, Gyuri patiently comforted Seungyeon until she felt better. Remembering an old remedy, Gyuri rummaged through the drawers for the medicated oil which she bought during her trip to China.
 
Gyuri had insomnia and used to have hangovers from drinking or lack of sleep and her tour guide had recommended the medicated oil which always helped her.
 
Applying lightly and sparingly on seungyeon's philtrum and the sides of her temple, Gyuri hoped that the medicated oil could help suppress the urge for Seungyeon to vomit.
 
After she could tell that Seungyeon was feeling a lot better, Gyuri then stood up to replace the puke bags.
 
In the midst of her delirium, Seungyeon saw Gyuri bending over to clean up the excess puke on the floor and suddenly felt a sudden rush of sorry towards her and started sobbing.
 
"Hey what's wrong...... Seungyeon ah..."
 
Gyuri turned as soon as she heard Seungyeon's sobs.
 
" I don't know why but i feel so sorry towards you..."
 
" We're family, there's no need to feel sorry. Don't worry and have a good rest." Gyuri patted Seungyeon's shoulder and got up to leave the room.
 
"Yah gyuri."
 
"Hmm?"
Gyuri stopped in her tracks.
 
"thanks......for everything.." seungyeon smiled weakly.
 
"You owe me two bottles of wine now." Gyuri chuckled lightly and closed the door behind her.
 
Seungyeon smiled weakly, thankful that she had such a great friend like Gyuri. With the scent of the medicated oil clouding her senses, she soon felt heavy lidded and drifted off to sleep.