Chapter 4

Family of Five
Dinner was silent and brief as no one dared to say anything in fear of dampening the mood further.
 
After a depressing meal, everyone went to their own rooms without a word while Gyuri stayed up a little to drink.
 
Just a few nights ago, she was thankful for how they were still bonded together yet now everything seems to have turned for the worse between Nicole and Seungyeon.
 
She had talked to Nicole earlier on and understood that she felt unappreciated by Seungyeon. Even thinking about what had happened during the past few years, Gyuri could only recall Seungyeon chiding Nicole most of the time. Come to think of it, it must have been really hard for Nicole to have tolerated for so long.
 
After much contemplation, she decided to talk to Seungyeon about what happened earlier, hoping to discuss with her on how they could solve this issue.
 
"Seungyeon ah.."
Gyuri knocked lightly before opening the door to the room.
 
Seungyeon tucked herself further into bed, her back facing Gyuri, unwilling to acknowledge her presence.
 
Gyuri took a deep breath and went over to sit by her bedside.
 
"Don't take what Nicole said to heart.. She only said it out of pique.."
 
Seungyeon didn't move but tears started b in her eyes. Gyuri, having understood Seungyeon after living with her for so long, placed her hand gently on Seungyeon's shoulder in comfort.
 
"Give her some time to cool off..maybe-"
 
"I'm tired, Gyuri."
 
Gyuri sighed knowing that her same aged friend was probably really upset about the entire thing and wanted time alone and decided to respect her wishes. After wishing her a good night, she closed the door lightly behind her.
 
Seungyeon grasped her pillow tightly, her tears threatening to spill. She couldn't understand why she and Nicole couldn't get along and why they were always fighting. No matter how hard she tried to be a better guardian towards Nicole, it always ended up in a quarrel with the latter.
 
There was truth in what Nicole said earlier even if it was out of pique. Nicole did feel the least favourite of Seungyeon's. Seungyeon pondered if it was really true on her side.
 
Was she really being selfish towards Nicole's feelings? It had already been 7 years.. she tried to think of the happier times they had within the years they lived together but truth be told, she had not actually done anything special for Nicole. Gyuri was always the one who organised family outings and the one who gave great advice whenever Seungyeon had problems communicating with the younger ones.
 
Now that things have taken for the worse between herself and Nicole, Seungyeon felt that she should do something on her own as Nicole's unnie.
 
Picking up her phone, she sent out a short text to Nicole, knowing Cole was still probably up from what happened earlier in the afternoon.
 
"Are you free tomorrow? Let's have lunch together."
 
After a few minutes of waiting for Nicole's reply, Seungyeon fell asleep into the dawn.