Part 1

Our cinema dates
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Working part time at a cinema seemed to be a perfect idea. It had its huge perks like flexible work hours and free double tickets for 4 films a month.

It was only an illusion, though, to hide the dramatic reality of poor cinema workers (literally poor, because they weren’t paid well). It also persuaded more unsuspecting souls to join the movie theater team.

Those were the thoughts of a certain Kim Jongin who was currently in the middle of cleaning a seat covered by the content of one of the spectator's stomach. It was disgusting, really, and he was even more angry because it was the third time he had to do it this weekend. Finally he managed to get rid of (most of) the stain, threw the cloth into a bucket of water and walked to the manager's office, were apparently they kept cleaning supplies due to lack of a better place.

He knocked on the door labeled as 'Kris Wu's office' and rolled his eyes when he heard the manager's grumpy "come in" before entering.

"Why are you so mad?" He asked, noticing the older man's discontent face, which was quite impressive, since the latter had a permanent face on.

"Krystal quit" came the answer in an irritated voice.

Jongin's eyes widened.

"She quit? Why? She usually just sits and sells the tickets, it's the easiest job here!" He exclaimed, surprised. "It's always me or Chanyeol who get the worst assignments to do, like cleaning up puke or-"

"Stop dramatizing" Kris cut quickly and massaged his temples. "I asked her to clean it half an hour ago and she threw a fit. I had no other option than to make you do this. In the meantime she continued to yell at me and finally decided she doesn't want to work here anymore."

The younger listened to him while putting the cleaning supplies away.

"It's quite a good idea. I'm thinking of quitting, too."

Kris stood up abruptly and slammed his hands on his desk.

"Don't you dare! We already have too few employees, you can't leave as well! I'll let you sit at the ticket counter from time to time, please, just don't quit" he exclaimed hastily, making Jongin laugh.

"I'm kidding, nobody would hire me anywhere else anyway but since you already promised, you have to keep your word!" He said happily before leaving the office and turning to screening room 2, where a film was going to start soon.

There was already a group of people waiting in front of the room. Jongin eyed the handbags and backpacks critically before reaching to his pocket for the key and opening the door. He knew exactly that they had food and drinks in the bags, which was forbidden unless it was bought in the cinema's bar section but he couldn't really check their belongings and throw away all the alcohol that was usually the cause of people barfing in the middle of a movie. He smiled a not very natural but still convincing smile and motioned for the small crowd to walk towards him. He then checked all the tickets and let them enter the room.

He had to wait by the entrance some more because it was obvious that more spectators were still to come. He leaned against the door frame and started tapping his fingers on his thighs to kill some time. It was a really boring job, especially for Jongin, who was a rather active person by nature.

Then a young man around his height and age caught his eye. He was coming from the direction of the ticket counter (where Chanyeol was currently seating, that lucky guy!) and maybe it was because Jongin was really bored or maybe because he was very attractive, it was hard for Jongin not to check him out.

His legs were long and clad in jeans, he had a white t-shirt with some kind of a pattern he couldn't quite see as it was mostly covered by a hoodie, his neck was slender, but it was his face that was the most remarkable. Pale, very handsome, yet he looked pretty bored for a person who was about to watch a new film. Jongin only noticed a spark of interest in his eyes as the boy spotted he was being watched and the cinema employee had no other choice but to avert his eyes. Soon he heard a quiet voice.

"Excuse me, can I come in?"

Jongin looked at the boy and gulped because he was so much more attractive up close. He quickly snapped out of it and smiled.

"Of course, but please show me your ticket first" he answered politely.

The other man reached to a pocket inside his hoodie and handed him a piece of paper with a soft "here you are".

Jongin tore the ticket slightly and gave it back to the boy, still smiling. "I hope you’ll enjoy the film. Please come in."

He thought he saw a faint blush on the other's cheek as he nodded and hastily entered the room but he couldn't double check as there were already other people waiting to get in as well.

 

 

A few days later Jongin felt even more like a slave than before. After Krystal quit, everybody had to work a few hours longer on their workdays and even Kris, who usually only sat in his office or walked around the cinema and ordered other workers, was selling tickets that day. On the other hand, Jongin had just finished cleaning room 1 after a film show, which luckily didn’t involve any vomit but it still was highly unpleasant. People tend to throw half of their popcorn buckets on the floor and, what’s much worse, they also pour sweet drinks on the floor as well, which ends up as a sticky goo on the narrow spaces between rows of seats and it’s a real hassle to clean.

Jongin left the room and put the cleaning supplies on the floor next to him in order to close the door. He was about to walk to Kris’ office when he felt a hand tapping on his shoulder. Irritation boiled over him because it was probably another person who wanted to come inside even though the next film wasn’t starting in another one and a half hour and Jongin really wanted to rest a bit and eat something instead of guarding the door for the next hour. But when he turned around, all the anger dissipated and he smiled involuntary.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter