Chapter 3

Kim's Family

"Woohyun-ah, thanks for coming." Sunggyu hug Woohyun as soon as he saw his bestfriend standing in front of his door. 

"Yah, hyung, i didn't come here going through a cold weather just to see you. I want to see Ye Rin. Where's she?" Woohyun release himself from Sunggyu's tight hug. He wonder why Sunggyu looked so happy seeing him. It's not that long since the last time they met each other. 

"She's in the living room. Chaerin had to go to Hongkong for today, so i really appreciate if you could help me look after Ye Rin while i'm preparing myself for the meeting."

"What? So now you're making me a babysitter?" Woohyun widened his eyes couldn't believe at what Sunggyu's said.

"Yah, it's not that hard. I didnt know that today we had a sudden meeting with the producer. Isn't it supposed to be next week?" Sunggyu put on an innocent face to so the softhearted Woohyun will feel pity for him. 

Woohyun did fall for his trick that he walked straightly to living room and greeted Ye Rin in her baby chair. "Hyung, hurry take a shower and get dressed. We had to be there in an hour."

"Yeah, i get it. Oh, one more thing, don't turn on the tv. I'm not allowing her watch tv too often. You can play with her with her toys on that box or just give her some baby snack or fruit." As usual, Sunggyu gave him an order before he ran to bathroom to take shower leaving Woohyun alone with Ye Rin at the living room. Minutes later, he finished taking shower and find Woohyun in the kitchen doing some dishes. "Hyung, how could you leaving your dishes like this? This is not our dorm, there's a baby inside this house, you need to start live properly. Yaaah, hyung, you're really doomed if you didn't have Chaerin with you." Woohyun kept complaining about Sunggyu's carelessness toward household chores. 

"Ah, thanks for helping Woohyun-ah." Sunggyu pat Woohyun arms while grinned happily. He then step to the living room and find Ye Rin playing with her food instead of eating it.

"Ye rin-ah, do not throw that. It's not a good thing to waste foods! Do you know that not all people as fortunate as us to have this kind of food? You have to eat it not throwing it away." Sunggyu said in a tense tone and serious face seeing Ye Rin kept throwing away sliced-fruit Sunggyu gave to her. Looking at that situation, Woohyun  spontaneously interfered.

"Hyung, why are you getting angry with a baby? She doesnt even understand what she just did."

"No, i'm not angry. I'm just giving her some life lesson."

Woohyun sighed deeply. "but you can't be that strict to her like this. She's just a baby. All Babies are throwing away everything they touch."

"But i dont want her to be like other babies." He stubbornly defensed himself. Woohyun who still had no children from his marriage with her wife felt pitiful towards ye rin. From the day she was born, he took her as if she's his own daughter. Woohyun really love her and keep spoiling her everytime they met. But being a friend with Sunggyu for more than 10 years made him knew that Sunggyu can be that strict to anyone not excluded his wife and his kids also. 

Being a soft-hearted person as he is, Woohyun felt sad just by looking at Ye Rin's innocent face. He took the bowl and started feed her while Sunggyu prepared his stuff in his room. Woohyun fed her and played with her and sometimes showered her with his endless aegyo that made her laughed and looked at him with sparks eyes. 

"woaaah, you're so good with kids Woohyun-ah. Look, i think she falls for you." Sunggyu looked at both people who seemed to have good time in the living room. "yeah, i think she likes me. Ye Rin-ah, do you want to live with me in the future?" Woohyun kept showing his aegyo to Ye Rin. 

"Yah..yah.. don't you dare showing your aegyo in front of me."

"Why? she likes it. Every girls loves my aegyo. Right, Ye Rin-ah?"

"Eeeeey.. that's so uncomfortable to watch. Woohyun-ah, if you finish feeding her, please put her shoes on and that jacket too. oh, and the beanie and her gloves on the couch too, okay? i'll prepare her bag first."

Woohyun furrowed his eyebrows hearing such order from his ex-leader. "Hyung, why are you ordering me? am i her father? Ye Rin-ah seriously, just be my daughter. I'll take care of you well. Your father just ordering people around to take care of you. He didn't even do anything particular."

"Yah! what are you doing? I can hear you. Hurry put her stuffs on, make sure she won't feel cold outside or we'll be late to meet the producer." Woohyun laughed hearing Sunggyu yelling from Ye Rin's bedroom. As he get older, he still get his leader instinct on him after all.

Fifteen minutes later, Sunggyu had finished preparing Ye Rin's stuffs and is ready to go. He looked at his wristwatch and gasp knowing that he only had 10 minutes left to go so he wont be late for his meeting. "Woohyun-ah let's go. we can't be late for the meeting." Woohyun hurriedly stood up and carried Ye Rin with his right hand while his other hand was holding her blanket. Ye Rin was covered up from head to toe with warm clothes material. Thanks to Woohyun who happily helped Sunggyu dressed her. His sense of loving kids was so strong that he did his best to make sure Ye Rin was protected from cold weather outside. Sunngyu amazed at how good Woohyun did his job.

"Oooooo, you really good with kids Woohyun-ah."

"Really?" Woohyun smiled happily hearing such compliments.

"Yeah, seems like she forgot her sadness.. and also her father."

Woohyun let out a big laughter and continue playing with Ye Rin in his arms.

"I really hope you'll have kids soon Woohyun-ah. You're gonna be a good father who spoiled his kids too much and being greasy. Kekekekekekeke."

"Yah hyung, it's not that bad spoiling kids, it's you who needs to loosen up a bit."

Sunggyu laughed as he heard Woohyun talked back to him when he for being too greasy sometimes. 

As they arrived at Sunggyu's car, Sunggyu took back Ye Rin from Woohyun's arms and put her at the car seat. "Ye Rin-ah, are you feeling well? You're gonna go and have some fun with daddy today. Are you excited? You're not sad anymore because mommy's leaving, right?" Sunggyu said while tightening her seatbelt on the car seat and covered her body with her pororo blanket. "Okay, all set. Woohyun-ah, let's go." Woohyun made himself seated at the driver's seat and drive Sunggyu's car to Woolim Studio.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, Chaerin and her team who arrived at Hongkong International Airport at noon were rushly heading towards Asia World Arena to have rehearsal regarding her performance at MAMA Awards tomorrow. She already texted Sunggyu as soon as she arrived at the airport to let him know that she had arrived safely and to make sure her husband look after Ye Rin well. After a while her black van finally arrived at Asia World Arena. As her van approaching the backstage gate, she felt her heart beats faster than usual. It was between the nerves of getting on stage again and seeing her past lover again. She tried to get rid off her anxiety by trying to memorize the lyric she will perform and listen carefully to the song since she will sing Come Back Home and Warrior which was a debut song for Yongguk's group, B.A.P. The van finally reached backstage gate. Chaerin get off of her van and followed her manager who went straight to the artist's waiting room. After put some of her stuffs at her waiting room, she went to the stage to do her rehearsal. As she walked straight to the stage, she met a lot of young idols at the corridor. She bowed back at them who greeted her with big smile and cheereful tone. Looking at those young idols, made her recall again the memories when she was really young and became a part of popular group, 2NE1. Those good memories were flashing back in her head. She was excited to be back on stage again but it would be so much better if her three bestfriends were also there performing together. 

While her mind wandering around, a man's voice was heard calling her name from behind made her startled a bit. "Lee Chaerin-ssi?" 

"Yes?" 

"Hello, I'm Kim Tae Wan, stage director for this event. Nice to meet you." The man who happened to be the stage director bowed and greeted her. Chaerin bowed back looking at the stage director who looks kind and smily made her feel a bit ease. "I just want to inform you that your rehearsal will be started at 10 minutes. I already saw the concept for the stage. Your manager gave it to me. I heard that this is your first stage after your hiatus, is that right?"

"Aaaa, yeah that's right."

The stage director gave a warm smile "I see, don't be too nervous. You've been performed in bigger stage before. I bet you're gonna killed the stage tomorrow. By the way, you're gonna perform with Bang Yongguk-ssi too, right?"

"Yes, but i havent met him today, i just arrived here so i havent contacted him yet but i'm sure he's already here." She actually had not contacted him since years ago. After her dating news with Sunggyu brought up by the media, they never contacted each other nor meeting each other anymore. But since she wanted to look professional, she tried to explain the situation as calm as she can.

"Yes, you surely always right, Lee Chaerin-ssi. I'm here, by the way." 

Chaerin turn her head around and saw the appareance of Yongguk for the first time in front of her eyes. The stage director smiled and greeted him while Chaerin still trying to gather her mind back together. She looked at him behind her super black shade sunglasses. She could felt her hand sweating and her heart beats uneasily. His charisma and strong pressence could be felt clearly since he stood beside her. "Okay, I'll leave you two for now to warm up first, see you all at the rehearsal in bit." The stage director left the two person in awkward situation to continue supervising the preparation for the stage. Yongguk turn his head to Chaerin who stood still in her place and folded her arms in front of her chest. Her black sunglasses made him couldn't meet her eyes but the way she behaved told Yongguk enough that she was feeling anxious with him around. 

"So, shall we start our rehearsal?" Chaerin broke the awkward silence and walked pass Yongguk to go to stage. 

"Shouldn't we have a small talk first? It's been years since the last time we met Chaerin-ah." 

Chaerin stopped her walked and try to give him a little smile. "But we have no time Yongguk-ssi. We have to practice. We could put away the conversation for later, couldn't we?"

"Wow, never thought the sweet Chaerin could be this sassy. Where's the old sweety girly Chaerin i knew? Being together with Sunggyu hyung totally changed your behaviour towards me, Chaerin-ah. He surely influenced you with his bossy and sassy behaviour." Yongguk walked towards her with a grin in his face. They stood face to face, he could sense she felt really annoyed with the fact that she had to perform with him. Out of all second and third generation idol in Korea why must him and why must her. Why did she accept this offer in the first place. She thought. 

"Don't drag him into this useless conversation ever again Yongguk-ah. Leave him alone." Chaerin said in a tense tone and left Yongguk who laugh amusedly hearing Chaerin's answer. "Okay, just do this. For the sake of old times." He replied shouting at her and watching her back got further away as she walked straightly to the stage. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Su Jeong-ah, please look after her while i have this meeting, okay?" Sunggyu gave Ye Rin who sat calmly in her babystroller to his fellow artist, Su Jeong. All the employee in Woolim's and artists who happens to pass by Ye Rin, were really excited to see her.They were kneeling down at her stroller so she could play along with them. "Oh, this is her bag too, if you need everything you could find it on her bag." Sunggyu pass Ye Rin's diaper bag to Su Jeong who received it with confused face. 

"Oppa, the weather is really cold right now. Why are you taking her outside with you? She might catch a cold." Su Jeong felt really concern about Ye Rin. Seoul's weather in winter season was really cold. Today, the temperature dropped to 7 C and the strong wind made most people didn't feel to go outside or got their body coverede up by warm clothes. 

"That's okay, she already dressed in warm clothes. Just feed her the food i packed on her lunchbox and everything's gonna be fine."

"But, oppa.."

Sunggyu knelt at her daughter's stroller and find his adorable baby was biting her doll. He cupped her pink cheeks and lightly kiss her nose. "See you in a bit Ye Rin-ah, behave well while i'm gone. Be good with Aunty Su Jeong, okay?" He then hurriedly get up worried of Ye Rin would cry knowing she will be left again and walked rushly to the meeting room.

When he arrived at the meeting room, Woohyun and Woolim CEO had already sat there and having a conversation with Lee Dong Ja, the producer who will in charge of Woohyun and Sunggyu next mini album. He also spotted his manager and Woohyun manager there. He then step inside the room and bowed to greet his CEO and the producer. 

"I'm so sorry i was late." Sunggyu said his apology as soon as he sat at the chair beside Woohyun.

"Its ok, this is an unplanned meeting too. I had to go abroad next week so i re-scheduled the meeting to today. I should be the one who aplogize." Mr.Lee let out a big laughter that made the situation became more casual.

"Oh, earlier i passed by a beautiful baby in the corridor, is that your daughter Sunggyu-ssi?"

Sunggyu flustered as heard someone adored his pretty baby. "Yes, she's 8 months old now."

"Yeah, she looks really adorable and pretty. She looks just like your wife."

"Thank you."

"But, speaking about your wife, i heard that she's going to perform at MAMA Awards tomorrow. Is that right?"

"Yeah, this is her first stage after being on hiatus for more than a year. She was kind of nervous though."

"And i read on the article today that she will perform with Bang Yongguk, former leader of B.A.P" The CEO joined the conversation right away which made Sunggyu widened his eyes upon hearing such news. Woohyun spontaneously turn his head and saw Sunggyu's reaction. Judging from his reaction, he clearly realized that this information was new for Sunggyu. He wondered what would happen next knowing that Yongguk was Sunggyu's biggest rival in the past.

"Woaaah, that would be amazing, don't you think? They both was a leader and had strong charisma. They're gonna kill the stage. Will they make a legendary stage just like when Sunggyu had a collaboration stage with his wife years ago?" The producer rubbed his chin imagining the colaboration between those two former leader.

"Ah yeah, you're right. That stage was legendary, Sunggyu-ya. That's when you started dating her also, right?"

Sunggyu just gave an awakward laughter responsing to his CEO words when the truth was they had dated even before their duet stage happened. 

"I wonder why CL-ssi always involved with group's leader. Sunggyu-ssi, you better look after your wife well, Bang Yongguk is not a joke too. Hahahahahaha." The producer laugh loudly after making some jokes that made Sunggyu's head feel like would exploding at anytime thinking about Chaerin and Yongguk. Woohyun and the managers who knew exactly what had happened in the past between those three people faking a laugh along with the CEO and the producer who thought that the joke was purely funny.

"Okay, let's start the meeting now." The CEO still has a little laughter when he started the meeting right away. Sunggyu tried his best to not showed his anxiety and being in full concentration while the meeting last. But the thought of Chaerin meeting Yongguk again destroyed his concentration. Why on earth she didn't tell him about this situation. All she told him earlier was that she arrived safely and a text full of the things he should do for Ye Rin. Not a single clue she gave about Yongguk's presence. Did she know it from the start and intentionally hiding it from him. But that must be ridiculuous since he will watch the event anyway. Were thet keeping a contact even before this event. Too many questions running in his mind at the moment. He whispered to his manager who sat beside him, asking him to take a notes of the meeting and tell him later since he couldn't process anything the producer and the CEO said in the meeting. Sunggyu scratched his forehead hoping the meeting will end soon. It's just the two hours meeting made him feel like having it for the whole day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rehearsal was already lasted for more than 5 hours straight. Chaerin felt exhausted for not having a break since she arrived in Hongkong. She already get off of the stage and continued her dance practice at her waiting room along with YG's dancers. 

"What time shall we rehearse again?" Yongguk's deep voice was heard as soon as he opened the door in Chaerin's waiting room. He spotted her sweating heavily from the dance practice. He knew very well that she would not stop practicing whenever she hasn't feel satisified yet for her performance. 

"It's at 7 pm." Chaerin's answered shortly while trying to grasp an air in the middle of her dance.

Yongguk walked inside and sat at the chair in front of her wardrobe rack. "Don't you want to stop the practice for a while? It seems your dancer were already worn out. You should eat something too, Chaerin-ah."

Chaerin stopped her dance movement and giving a time out sign to the dancer and let them rest for a while. She grabbed a bottle of water and drink it right away. 

"What are you doing here, Yongguk-ah?" Chaerin said in a flat tone that made Yongguk chuckled.

"I just want to say hi. We've been rehearsing for 5 hours and we didn't even asked about each other's life yet."

Chaerin tried to avoid his gaze by fanning herself with a paper fan and tried to eat her late lunch. Her manager and the sylist pretending not to know anything and just let the two people having an awkward conversation alone. 

"How have you been, Chaerin-ah?"

"I've been good."

"Sorry i didn't visit you when you gave a birth. I bet your daughter is as pretty as her mother."

"Thank you."

"Did Sunggyu know about us having a stage together?"

"No. I didn't have any idea either. Did you actually plan this?"

"No." Yongguk gave her a mischivious smile. "Or maybe destiny played with us."

"I'm a married woman, Yongguk-ah. I'm not as the same as i was 2 years ago. You should find your love one too."

Yongguk sat still with his arms folded in front of his chest stared deeply to her. "I can't. In the end it's always you."

"You know this is just.." Chaerin stopped her words and sighed deeply. "I knew from the start that meeting you again was a terrible idea."

"Well, that is not for me."

Their conversation was ended when one of the crew event came to the waiting room and called their name for the rehearsal. They got up and walked to the stage again feeling worn out. "Don't do stupid things Yongguk-ah. I love Sunggyu oppa more than you will ever know." Chaerin said seriously while they walking at the corridor leaving Yongguk smiled bitterly behind her.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hyung, is everything okay?" Woohyun pat Sunggyu's arms while he was carrying Ye Rin. He was suppossed to put her to sleep when he looked at Sunggyu's anxious face that made him feel really concerned. The meeting that felt like forever for Sunggyu was lasted for 3 hours. He decided to go straight home after the meeting since he couldn't concentrate on everything and being unusually silent after he heard about Chaerin and Yongguk duet stage news. "Yah, woohyun-ah, i'm okay. Thanks for drving me home." Sunggyu faking a smile feeling a bit touched with Woohyun concern. He took his phone from his pocket and push number 1 which was a speed dial for Chaerin. He needs to wait for some moment until his call was answered.

"Chaerin-ah, where are you?"

"Oppa, I'm rehearsing at the venue now. How's Ye Rin? Is she okay?"

Sunggyu could hear Chaerin answered while panting heavily. "Are you with Yongguk now?"

"What? Yeah, we're rehearsing together." She paused for a moment trying to figure out how he knew about Yongguk.

"How on earth you're not telling me that you'll meet him? That you had a stage together with him? Are you hiding this from me?" Sunggyu let out his anger in one sentence. Deep down inside, he trust her wife that she wouldn't do anything stupid with Yongguk. But the fact that she didn't tell him int he first place and let him knew from other people made him felt upset. 

"I just knew about this today. And since this isn't important, i mean his presence isn't important for me, why would i tell you?"

"Why wouldn't you tell me? Chaerin-ah, you told me everything, the tv show you watched, the song you listened, dress you want to wear, what Ye Rin ate the other days, but this? Just because you think this isn't important? Yah, Chaerin-ah, this is more important than what dress you want to wear." Sunggyu speaking bluntly made Chaerin felt really offended. 

"Oppa, i'm trying to get my rehearsal done. Please don't ruin this by calling me just to confirming about something not important. Unless it's about Ye Rin, don't call me. I felt exhausted and i dont wanna hear you yelling at me over the phone."

"Yah, Lee Chaerin, we need to make this things clear."

"No, oppa, we'll solve this when i get home."

Sunggyu got shocked wheh he heard Chaerin hung up his call without clearing the situation. He tried to call her again when suddenly he heard Ye Rin crying out loud from her bedroom. He entered Ye Rin's bedroom and find Ye Rin cried while being carried by Woohyun. "What's wrong?"

"Hyung, i think she got a fever. Her body temperature is really high."

Sunggyu placed his hand at Ye Rin's forehead and feel the heat from her body. He then took Ye Rin's from Woohyun and carried her while patting and her back trying to make her stop crying. 

"Hyung, should we call Chaerin? She must know what to do." 

"No. I don't wanna make her got panic on her important day. I'll just bring her to the hospital. You're gonna come with me, Woohyun-ah." Sunggyu went to his bedroom to take his car keys and gave it to Woohyun letting him driving them to hospital.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After hanging up on Sunggyu's call, Chaerin gave her phone to her manager. She covered her face with her palm trying to calm herself down after being yelled at by her husband. Being far away from her daughter, meeting Yongguk and never ending rehearsal were already made her felt so exhausted. She didn't need her husband, the person who she expect the most to comfort her, getting mad at her without any significant reason and giving her another headache. She kept thinking and covering her face until she heard the people around the stage suddenly clapping and cheering. She put away her hands and opened her eyes and seeing Yongguk at the center of the stage with a piano in front of him. It seems like he played with a piano which is a property that supposed to be used for the next performer. Yongguk started playing the piano and sang a song that was really familiar to Chaerin. She stood still beside the stage, lean her back against the wall and closed her eyes, thinking about her fight with Sunggyu, her daughter, her stage, her past that coming from nowhere today. And all that stuffs that running in her mind made a single tear ran down through her cheek when she's closing her eyes. While without she's knowing and in the middle of the cheering crowd, Yongguk sang while staring longingly to the person he loves for years. The person who he adores for her strength. The person who he fanboyed over since the day she debuted. The person who's almost being his love.

"Almost, almost is never enough.

So close to being in love.

If i would have known that you wanted me, the way i wanted you.

Then maybe we wouldn't be two worlds apart.

But right here in each other's arms."

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note : This is longer than i expected to be T T and i currently love Ariana Grande's Almost Is Never Enough song. The song is really sad, i think. Thanks for subscribing and reading ^^ ^^