Chapter II

My Single Aunt, Mae

Sun Young felt like crying hearing that date and didn’t want to believe it at first. But being there, in front of the younger version of her old aunt Mae, sitting on the almost new sofa her late grandfather made, and sipping her aunt’s favorite tea, told her everything was true.

 

“Are you new here?” Aunt Mae asked as she handed Sun Young a bowl of rice cakes. Sun Young’s gluten intolerant so she didn’t take one and explained to her aunt she was allergic. Aunt Mae, being a paranoid since birth, apologized and fussed about making another treat to serve to her guest. Sun Young stopped her though, telling her she’s fine and not hungry.

 

“I’m Mae. What’s your name?” the older of the two tried to make a conversation and Sun Young thought her the younger Aunt Mae is really approachable and not that shy like the old one.

“I’m Sun Young. I’m not sure if I’m here to stay but I’m here to help you.” she said, remembering what she wished for the other day.

“Help me what?”

“I’m here to help you go to school.” she simply said. “I’ll be taking care of your chores from now on, but in exchange, give me food during my stay.” she bargained and Mae looked at her for a second before standing up.

“I...I have to talk to my parents about this. Let’s go to the pond.” she told and Sun Young nodded, following her aunt.

 

Sun Young took her time to see how the old town looked like in the past, remembering her uncles’ words about how different the town was before and they were right. There wasn’t any roads. Just plain, rocky and muddy way for the horses and carts to pass by. There are more green than the present and back then, Sun Young and her cousins were amazed on how ‘’ the town looked like in terms of nature.

 

The talk between Aunt Mae and her parents didn’t take long. In the early days, people are easier to trust and there wasn’t any need for contracts or any other things to get a job. In a jiffy, Sun Young got herself the job and her aunt Mae was happy to have her and to be able to go back to school. Sun Young got her timing right since her aunt was just about to stop her studies.

 

*****

 

“Are you sure you’ll be fine by yourself, Sun Young? I can take the day off if you want.” Mae asked worriedly and Sun Young just shoved her off with an assuring smile.

“I’ll be fine. You’ve taught me everything for the past few days and I’m getting the hang of it. Just go and enjoy school.” she said and pushed her aunt out the house.

“Okay. I’ll be back as soon as I finished.” Mae said with an excited smile before going her way, still not running despite of being late unlike her mom and her other uncles and aunts. Still feminine and ladylike like the old Aunt Mae.

 

It has been three days since Sun Young started working in her grandparents house. She made up a story of being an orphan and yadda yadda enough to touch her family’s hearts and let her stay in the tiny hut they have behind their house.

 

During those times, Sun Young thought things through. The reality that she just time traveled because of that wish plant made her accept the challenge and own up to her own wish. She’s desperate to make her aunt fall in love and maybe have a family. She wants her to be happy. Planning it as her apology for their fight that happened in the present.

Her family in the future must’ve been worried sick already but she just hope that she would return to the future in the same time she fell asleep in her bed. That would be perfect. And if there’s any chance that she would be stuck in the past, she’ll sadly accept and watch her mom, uncles and aunts grow up. She even cheered herself up with the fact that she could spend time with her grandparents who died when she was little.

Her mom being the youngest of the Ahn siblings didn’t give her enough time to be loved by the old folks.

 

Sun Young hated doing house chores but if it means making her aunt’s future happy, she’s willing to take the load.

 

*****

 

Aunt Mae barely made it in her first class. Everyone still knew her and almost everyone in her old class were in the same class and course as her. She was happy though, spending time with her high school friends and being able to go through college life with them.

 

The professor came in and everyone took their seats. Mae, wanting to focus in her class because of her lack of time to study, chose to sit in front. She doesn’t have any close friends in the class since she never had the time to make some. After class, she would alway rush to pick up Krystal, their youngest and Jin’s mom, from kindergarten and start with the chores once she gets home.

Even so, she has maintained a good relationship with everyone and no one dared to mess with her. Having the fame of having 9 siblings who backs you up with everything is scary too.

 

“Good morning everyone. I’m your Economy prof and I’m sure everyone knows everyone already. Having to look at your records, it seems that way except for Mr. Kim Jongdae.” he told and looked up. “Mr. Kim Jongdae would you please stand up and introduce yourself.”

 

Everyone looked around just like Mae because they seemed to not notice the new student coming in and they were right. A knock on the door disturbed the murmurings and the door opened shortly after.

A handsome young man wearing a brown pants and matching suit. Big glasses was resting on his nose bridge that slid down a bit with the obvious running he just did.

“I--I’m sorry I’m late sir.” he said between his heavy breathing. “I’m Kim Jongdae the new student. Nice to meet you all.” he added before forcing a good smile.

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xaf1/t51.2885-15/s320x320/e15/11256240_1436555043317845_1491872480_n.jpg

 

The professor remained his emotionless expression and nodded. “I see Mr. Kim. You can go now and take a seat. Make sure that this incident won’t happen again, okay?”

“Yes, prof!” he said cheerfully and walked to the empty seat in front.

 

Mae felt herself blush when the new student came to her with a smile. “Can I sit here?” he asked and Mae couldn’t find her voice so she nodded instead, making the whole class coo at the new potential campus couple.

 

*****

 

“YOU DID?! Oh my gosh!!” Sun Young spazzed at her aunt’s love life before laughing. She can’t believe her plans were going smoothly. In her first day of school, her aunt finally found a potential love interest for her and the teenager was ecstatic.

“What did he say? Oh my gosh! Tell me auntie--I mean unnie!” Sun Young pushed and the older laughed, trying to hide her blush.

Both were in the kitchen, Ironing clothes late at night while chatting.

 

“Nothing really. Since I’m his seatmate, we had lunch together. He liked the lunch I packed and I told him I’ll pack him lunch tomorrow.” Mae told making the younger squeal.

“Then you have to prepare a good lunch for the both of you. Of course the others’ lunch would be good too.” Sun Young told and Mae only nodded with a shy smile on her lips.

“Maybe we can wake up a little bit earlier tomorrow and get some vegetables in the backyard.” she suggested and Sun Young nodded. She learned to love veggies during her stay there. She doesn’t know how her aunt does it but she makes them delicious and the lunch boxes she makes for her siblings were just as great as the ones she had back in the future: lunch box her old aunt Mae would insist her to take when she’s running late to class.

 

“Or maybe we can do that after we finish this. It’s three in the morning already and we normally wake up at 4:30.” Sun Young said and Mae giggled.

“You’re right.” she agreed before sending an apologetic glance at the younger. “Sorry your sleeping hours--”

“Ei! Don’t worry about that. I can sleep after I finish my chores. I don’t know about you though.”

“I’m okay. I’m used to this. I’ll just take a nap on the horse ride.” Mae assured and both continued to chat as they iron the clothes the kids will use for tomorrow.

 

*****

 

Days passed and Mae and Jongdae got closer. Lunch breaks were spent together with Mae’s packed lunch full of healthy vegetables neatly put together with rows of omelette and white rice in another tupper. Jongdae would never forget to compliment the food and make Mae blush, telling her on how she’d be the perfect wife.


 

Mae has never thought of falling in love when Sun Young appeared in their door, offering her the opportunity to pursue her studies but she ended up doing so anyways. Her main goal back then was to get high grades and maybe skip a year so she could make way to her dongsaengs and older brother and sister.

 

She didn’t mind falling though because she was sure Jongdae will catch her for sure and he will understand that until all her siblings finishes school, they wouldn’t be able to start their own family because as much as Mae want to do that, she doesn’t have the heart to leave her parents with her siblings alone and poor Sun Young who has to cover for all her responsibilities.

 

Jongdae is a complete gentleman, handsome, smart and kind. Everything Mae wished for a man and she thanked the heavens for giving Sun Young to them because she’s the reason she met him.


 

Tomorrow came and Mae presented Jongdae the lunch box she and Sun Young made for them that day. Jongdae never failed to appreciate and compliment the food and Mae, but this time, he said something that made Mae look at him in shock.

 

“It’d be nice if you could be my girlfriend so I can brag about you to the other guys.” he told with a blushing grin before looking at Mae lovingly. “Would you like to be my girlfriend, Mae?” he asked nervously and Mae, obviously, said ‘Yes’.


 

Jongdae and Mae were sitting under the cherry blossom tree, leaning on its trunk with their shoulders leaning on each other, their hands intertwined with each other as they waited for the bell to ring. Mae felt so happy that moment and prayed for it to last forever.

She looked around the perfect grass field and the view it offered when she noticed a dandelion near her hand that was resting on the ground. Picking it up, she smiled at it and closed her eyes making a wish.

 

“I hope my friend Sun Young can find her true love soon too.” she said and a gush of wind came blowing the seeds of the wish plant.

Mae felt Jongdae move and turned to her love with a smile. “I’m sure your wish will come true.” he whispered and Mae nodded before leaning her head on Jongdae’s chest as the young man put his arms around her shoulders.