Hair and Conversation

A Hair Day

"Tasha have you seen my conditioner?" Kayla shouted as she searched the room.

"Look in the cabinet next to the dishes."

"Why would it be with the dishes?"

"Look lady it is too damn early in the morning to be askin' all these questions. I'm trying to sleep."

"You should be used to this. You know every saturday is hair day. We have been roomates for 3 months now ya know. It's too late to be complaining now."

"Whatever. I don't understand why you have to wash it every week."

"Because your hair has chemicals and mines doesn't so it needs extra lovin. Besides I don't just wash it I have to Pre-poo, and moisturize, and then air dry... are you even listening to me."

"I don't need to listen to nothing. What I need to do is slip some sleeping pils in your dinner so I can perm your hair in your sleep."

"You wouldn't do that. You love me too much." Kayla said as she threw a pillow at her roomates head.

Knock Knock Knock

Both girls turned to their dormroom door. Both curious as to who could be here this early." Who's there?" They both exclaimed.

"It me." Said a voice through a door.

"Me? I don't know nobody named me." Kayla playfully questioned already recongizing the voice.

"The iest man alive that's who!" It proclaimed.

"Oh my goodness Jordan Calloway!" Kayla quicly opened the door and her face went from excited to disappointed within seconds. "Oh its just you..." As she opened the door she was greeted with the saddened face of her boyfriend Chi-Hwa. "Don't give me that look you know I was only kidding...sort of. Come in before the RA sees you." Kayla quickly ushered Chin-Hwa into the small dorm room. "What's in the bag?"

"Oh. I brought us breakfast since I'd figured you probably hadn't eaten so..." Chin-Hwa was caught off guard as Kayla gave him a kiss on the cheek.

"You are such a darn sweetheart all the time. I didn't think you were seriously coming over. Not many guys woudl want to help there girlfriend was their hair."

"It doesn't matter what we do as long as you're around." Chin-Hwa said as she gave him hug.

"Dang Chin. You sound like Shakespeare." Tasha said from under covers.

"Aren't you supposed to be sleeping?"

Tasha tore away her covrs and sat upirritatedly. "Not anymore. Besides me and Mac are going to  hangout around 9:00."

"Um Tasha it's 9:30" Chin-Hwa checked his watch.

"!"

"Well start once she's gone 'kay?."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kayla gathered all her supplies they would need to do her regular hair routine and proceeded make a pile of things near Chin-Hwa.

"Are we going to need all of this?"

"These are just the essentials. I haven'' even gotten the extras." She threw in the last combs and oils on top of the pile and did a mental check to make sure she had everything. "Okay I think thats all of it. Spread your legs." Suddenly Chin-Hwa started choking on his juice he was drinking. "What?"

"Get your mind out of the gutter young man. I gotta sit on the floor between your legs so you can reach better."

"Oh, Okay"

"First we have to comb though it. So get the green comb and give me the purple and we'll both do it." Chin-Hwa started combing through his hair...or at least he thoguth he was.

"You're raking over the top. You have to go to the root." Kayla took Chin-Hwa's hand to show him where her roots were. "Feel that. Those are my roots thats what you're trying to detangle." Chin-Hwa started again, only rwith more difficulty."How about now?"

"Yeah...you got...owwwww!" Kayla shouted.

"Sorry."

"The goal is detangle the hair not rip it out."

"Won't this just get tangled again when we wash it?"

"It makes it easier to wash becuase you comb through it after you shampoo and put conditioner in."

"Okay now we..." Kayla hesistated

"...wash it..."

"Usually yes but..."

"...but what?"

"I forgot about you. I usually wash it when I shower so...we can just wash it in the sink instead. Fill that pitcher up with water and I'll get a towel." While Chin-Hwa filled the pitcher Kayla set a chair in frotn the sink and kneeled on it, placed the towel over her eyes and started to wet her hair from the faucet.

"Don't you use Shampoo?"

Kayla chuckeld to herself "Of course! I'm just wetting it right now. The more wet it is the better it'll become clean."

"Are you comfortable?" Chin-Hwa eyed her position and felt mildly bad for her.

"This is not a time for comfort. This is a time to get stuff done." Kayla turned off the water ''Okay hand me that moisturizer and put this much on your hands." She squeezed some in her palm and showed it to Chin-Hwa.

"Okay now just run it though all of my hair. If you think you mised a spot touch it becuase it should fill slippery afterwards."

Chin-Hwa rubbed his hands together and the moisturizer through her hair. "Is this okay?"

"Absolutey. Your fingers feel awesome."

"Your curls feel really weird, but cool at the same time."

"Thanks...I think. Did you get it all yet?"

"Yeah."

"Good because now were going to rinse it out."

Chin-Hwa became confused "Did I mess up?"

"No I just shampoo it now."

"But it wasn't on that long?" He questioned.

"It dosen't need to be. It just prptoects my hair from becoming too dry from the shampoo. Go ahead and get that pitcher and pour it on my head to rinse the back."

"Now?"

"Yeah"

"Okay." Chin-Hwa grabbed the pitcher by the handle and sttarted to pour the water on the back of her hair.

"Ahhhh! What the hell?" Kayla started clutching her head and pushed Chin-Hwa away.

"I thought you were ready." Chin-Hwa was worried now.

"What did you do? boil that water on the stove to make soup!"

"I'm sorry." Chin-Hwa wanted to help but he just wasn't sure how.

"This must be what Michael Jackson felt like during that commericial."

"I'm sorry."

"Okay I'll rinse it. You can just hand me the bottles okay."

"I'm really sorry."

Kayla waved her hand dismissively "Can you just hand me the pink bottle and then the purple bottle please?"

"Yes"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Now that we're done with phase one it's time for phase two."

"Which is what?"

"Drying the hair, moiturizing the hair, and styling the hair." Kayla counted off on her fingers.

"I don't see a dryer here."

"I don't use one. I avoid heat at all cost and let it air dry or fan dry. But before that we'll be moisturizing so hand me the green container and the orange-looking oil."

"What do these do exactly?" Chin-Hwa inquired as he gave you each item.

"Well the green stuff helps to keep the curls semi-loose so they don't become to tight and difficult to comb through later. The oil helps to add moisture and shine."

"Can we take a break before we start?"

"Sure. By the way, what time is it?"

"2:00."

"How is it two o'clock when you got here before 10?"

"I don't know."

"Usually this takes four hours for me to be done and we've only washed it so far." Kayla rubbed her eyes with her fingers. "SInce this is taking so long you can go if you want. I didn't intend on you being here this long."

"No I want to stay." Chin-Hwa exclaimed. "You can stay if you promise to cause no more harm to my precious head."

"I promise." Chin-Hwa statedas he kissed your forehead.

"I'm serious. First you try to rip my hair out, then you give me second-degree burns...What's next?"

"I said I was sorry. Besides your hair is all different. Mines can be combed with any comb no more than fives and I'm done. I wash my hair about twice a week. Mines is straight and has more oil to it. Yours is just really...different."

"I could say the same about you my friend." Kayla said as she played with Chin-Hwa's hair. 

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing." Kayla said as she turned away from him. "What do you want to eat? There's some Arizona's in here, left over lasagna, Cereal in the cupboard and every college students' favoirte...Ramen noodles."

"Whatever you decide to give me will be fine."

They took a break for an hour and then they decided to finish up were they had left off. Kayla began to set up the fan, while Chin-Hwa put back the products they had already used.

" I know this is your first time so just take your time." Kayla said as she placed herself on the floor infront of Chin-Hwa.

"Are you sure I don't want to hurt you." He stated hesistantly given his past instances.

"Chin-Hwa, it'll be okay trust me." Kayla stated reassurignly. "Did you put the oil on already?"

"Yeah."

"Everywhere?" Kayla asked questiongly as she ran her fingers through her hair and checked her fingers.

"Yeah."

"Do you want a towel since your kind of wet?" Chin-Hwa asked as he tugged on her shirt seeing as that it was still wet from when they washed her hair earlier.

"No I'll be fine."

"Just rememeber to be gentle please, okay?"

"Okay." As Chin-Hwa was about to start he had picked out the widest comb that he figured would be easier to comb with."Is this okay?" Hoping to do something right he showed it to you before he started.

"That's really big but it's okay." Kayla reaffirmed.

Suddenly you heard voices whispering outside your door, when one of them shouted...

"Ohhh ya'll in there about to do the nasty."

"In the words of Missy Eliot, 'Gon' get ya freak on.'" Tasha and Mac both took turns shouting through the door. Chin-Hwa and Kayla both looked at each other and blushed profusely at the thought. Kayla stood and brushed herself off.

"Open the door nosey people!"

"Uh-uh we ain't into that."

"We're not have . He's was doing my hair." The door slowly opened as to big-headed girls peeked around the door.

"Phew. I'm glad ya'll wasn't because you're the only innocent one in our group of friends and if you became...what's the word?"

"Worldly? Tasha answered.

"Yeah, worldly!, then there would be a misbalance in our group of friends." Mac stated as she motioned between her and Tasha.

"Yo! how is you still not dry I left here hours ago?" Tasha said as the eyed your wet hair.

"There were some set backs..."

"Aww Chin-Hwa thought he could handle the nappy huh?" Mac said with her hands on her hips.

"Don't you know? An African womans hair is the eighth wonder of the world?" All the girls laughed at their own words.

Chin-Hwa wrapped his arms around Kayla's waist from behind. "Actually I like to think this beaitiful lady is the eighth and final wonder of the world."

"Dang CJ, Kayla got you sprung bad." Tasha stated. "For the sake of speeding the process along, do ya'll want some help?"

"Sur-" Kayla started.

"Actually I'll give you both 15 dollars a piece to disappear for five hours."

"Make it 20 and we'll be back no sooner than midnight." Chin-Hwa gave them 40 dollars and just as soon as they showed up they were gone. "Why did you send them away?" Chin-Hwa ignored her question and seated her back on the floor so they could finish off were they left off and began drying her hair.

"Kayla?"

"Hmm" She was trying to find something to watch on Tasha'a 8in.x8in. TV that was older than both of them.

"If I do your hair well can I get a reward?" Chin-Hwa said suggestively.

"Yup I gotta cookie in the jar with your name on it." Kayla repied oblivious to what exactly Chin-Hwa was getting at.

"Really?"

"Of Course." Chin-Hwa dried her hair for another half hour and then he started on the final steps before they styled it. "All done, now what's next?" Silence... " Kayla what's next?"

"What..." Chin-Hwa laughed at her half-conscious response

"We gotta style your hair now, but I don't know how to do it."

Kayla stretched her arms "What time is it?"

"I don't know but it's dark out."

"Well I'm tired so I'll probably just braid it or something."

"I already got the gel, do you need grease too?"

"Nah I don't need any of that."

"Okay so what do you want me to do?"

"You don't gotta do nothing love, but hand me that comb with the needle on the end." Chin-Hwa did just that and he sat back as Kayla parted her hair and braided eight cornrows in her hair. Once she was done she stood and put her scarf on her head. "Now when I take it out it'll be in loose curls in the morning. Now if you would be a doll and get off my bed, that would be amazing."

Chin-Hwa didn't even blink and spread himself over her entire bed. "You Jerk!" Kayla said as she went to get something from the fridge.

"I still want the cookie you promised me."

"I have it right here and it's all yours once you get off my bed." Kayla unveiled a Double Chocolate Chip cookie from behind her back that had Chin-Hwa's name written on it in korean.

"..."

"I thought you liked chocolate so I got Double Chocolate Chip and I googled how to write you name in korean so..." Chin-Hwa was confused for a moment. "Well she did say she had a cookie with my name on it..." Chin-Hwa also took note of how shy she suddenly became, and sat up on the bed.

"Come here." Kayla walked closer still avoiding eye contact as Chin-Hwa pulled her onto the bed with him.

"I can't believe we can both fit on this bed." Kayla laid her head on Chin-Hwa's chest as he intertwined their fingers."I can barely fit on this bed myself. For the first week of school I slept on the top bunk, but I move too much in my sleep and was tired of waking up on the floor with a concusicon everyday."

"정말로 " (Really?)

"Mhm."

"You're understanding korean better."

"Yeah well I watch a lot of K-Drama now and besides the Korean guys in those Music Videos you suggested are y as hell."

"But not ier than me right."

"Of course..." Kayla answered sarcastically as she patted Chin-Hwa' s forehead.

"I think you're the most amzing woman ever."

"It's about time you realized it." Kayla said as she poked him in the chest.

"Can I tell you something?" Taking her silence as a yes, he continued. "I spent more than ten hours doing your hair. I can't even imagine doing this every week. I hardly helped. In fact I probably did more harm then good but you were patient and never got angry with me. For that I respect you. My arms hurt like hell and my fingers smell like coconut but that's okay becuase..." Chin-Hwa took a bite of his cookie. "...this cookie is the best damn cookie I ever had...can I get some milk with this...?"

"Hey." Chin-Hwa looked down at you and saw that you were already sleeping. "Are you really sleep or just pretending?" Silence

"Regardless of whether or not you are a wake or not doesnt' matter, because I know your korean isnt' that good yet but any way. I just want you know that I'm really...I'm really diggin' you...I like-like you ya know. I know that you had hesistation in the begining. Hell, it took me asking you out three times for you to finally say yes, and even then it took you a while to talk to me comfortably." Chin-Hwa smiled at the thought. "Now you talk to me to much." He wrapped his arm around her waist and attempted to pull her closer to him without waking him up. "The feelings I have for you are to advanced for a college crush and I don't know what the heck all this means. You're the first girl I ever felt this way about. I'm glad to finally have a chance to voice these thoughts...maybe next time I'll have the courage to tell you all this and more when you're awake...and in english..."