chapter 1

Just the thought of being friends

His name was Jongin, and you two were best of friends. You knew each other since the start of high school and ever since then you both were extremely close, inseparable even. Although the first meet was awkward, you slowly got to know him. It was hard at first, he’s the secretive type; getting anything out of him took for ages, but you managed. A lot of girls admired you, jealous even, because Jongin was one of the attractive guys within your school, many girls and maybe even guys wanted to get close with him or date him; that didn’t bother you though, it actually made you feel better about yourself, because you somehow worked your way around to become friends with him and him with you. At the beginning you thought everything was right in its place but you were wrong.

“The names Alice, nice to meet you!” you held your hand out for a handshake; smiling “Jongin” he shook your hand, face unreadable. ‘Well that was short’ you thought, but hey at least you made one friend on the first day, at least you think you did.

You were in math class and there was a question you couldn’t figure out so since you didn’t know anyone other than Jongin you scooted closer to him, startling him even. “Hey can you help me with this, I don’t get it” you chuckle out of embarrassment, thinking he would judge you because to you he seemed like one of the smart people in your class and you weren’t, “uh yea sure” and sure enough he was, but he didn’t think of you as unintelligent as you had expected.

That was the first encounter you had with Jongin, you remember it like it was yesterday, the beginning of high school and sure enough you’re glad that you were able to sit beside him in math class. After that you had soon found out that you shared almost every class with him, you thought it was pretty clichéd like that of a Korean drama of some sort being able to have many classes with a guy who was exceptionally good looking and quite popular as well , but it made you happy either way.There were a few times where you thought being his friend was at your disadvantage though, and because of that you two got into arguments, small ones even, and it made you laugh because the only reason why they would start is because you’d always bring yourself down in some way.

“I honestly don’t get how she was able to become friends with him” one girl whispered to her friend although it was still audible; this happens all the time and because of that you sometimes hated going to school. ‘So what not like you’re trying to do anything to get close to him as well’ you rolled your eyes, you would always be so obvious to those types of comments and you suspected Jongin wouldn’t so you would sit there by his side, trying to contain your anger as much as possible.

“Jongin, were going to stay friends for a long time right?” Jongin looked at you, confused but nodded to your question “yea of course we will, why?” he continued eating his sandwich, eyes still locked on you “well I don’t know, sometimes I feel that you could just up and leave me, abandon me you know” you frown at this ‘why am I saying this in the first place? Oh right because apparently someone like me shouldn’t be friends with someone like him’ you thought and shook your head smiling a bit sadly. Jongin just stared at you, still chewing on his sandwich ‘aren’t you going to say anything?’ you thought, becoming a bit uncomfortable from his stare, you open your mouth to say something but he cuts you off “oi, why are you saying this? Do you feel that way?” oh well this is a first time he’s sound mad, especially at you because Jongin’s never been mad at you, ever.

He finishes his food and you can feel the look of disapproval on his face “no I wouldn’t, that’s the last thing that I would have on my mind, or more like never in my mind, I honestly don’t get why you’re saying this in the first place” you just shrugged, trying to seem unaffected “it’s possible though, every time I walk through the hallways with you I always get glared at, I’m pretty sure it’s because I’m with you, yet you don’t notice it” his eyes widen; eyebrows raised, he comes closer to you “you think I don’t notice? Ha, you’ve got to be kidding me right? Of course I notice” his voice becomes a bit cold “the only reason why I don’t say anything is because I thought that we pretty much came to an agreement that we would become friends and you wouldn't have to worry about what others think” you keep looking down “Alice look at me” he commands, and you do “don’t ever think that, if you say this ever again I don’t know what I’ll do” his voice becomes soft again, ‘ah so he does notice, now I feel guilty’ and the conversation ends there.

Who would have thought that he could become so cold in an instant and commanding, that argument was the first one that got you thinking and although you tried so hard to not mention anything like that ever again, it just so happens that you did, more than once actually and each time you did Jongin would become frustrated not knowing what to say. That wasn’t the only thing that affected you, you would also hear rumours about you spreading around; things like “are they dating?” or “He was able to get into her pants, that’s the only reason why he’s with her” and most of the time you just thought ‘can’t I be friends with a guy without ual or intimate relations?’ but nothing seemed to go right anyway.

 

Even so, the thought of having bad factors come your way will never change your mind about how just the thought of being friends was great.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

hope you enjoyed reading. sincerely A