:*_*_*_*_*

Cold Guys are Unexpected

I decided to call it a day on the shopping trip when it began getting close to half past four, as the curfew set by my parents that day was five. I doubt my friends cared when I told them I had to go, they barely even said goodbye to me as I began to walk away from them. I descended the second floor via the escalator in the mall, my little Calvin Klein bag that I’d received from my previous birthday on my shoulder, and a few various bags from different shops held in my hands. I exited the building barely two minutes later, and began my trek home that would take at least half an hour, if not more, depending on which route I took. As it got closer and closer to five o’clock, however, I practically started running through the streets desperately. If I was late, I knew my parents would stop me from going out again for at least a month, if not two, which, like any other teenager, I would not want. Around what I figured was half way home, I stopped running, not just to have a break, but to also admire the early November sunset that was overcoming the sky. Being an art student, I liked to watch the specific colours of the celestial dome change with every minute, turning from baby blue to apricot orange in just a few minutes. My admiring, however, was very short lived when the first signs of rain fell onto my head and tip of my nose, and soon enough, my clothes were soaked and raindrops slid of my facial features as an unexpected downpour began. In my moment of panic, I noticed a store across the road, and instinctively ran to it, hoping there would be an umbrella in there, I still had a bit of money left from my shopping trip that day, definitely enough for an umbrella, though I’d never had the need to buy one before; I’d never felt the full force of rain when I was far away from home before, and so had no reason to ever acquire one.

 

I entered the shop full of hope, grabbing my purse out of my bag before I’d even found the said object. Though, my hopes fell when I got to the ‘Everyday Items’ isle. To my dismay, the shelf reading ‘Umbrella, $2’ was empty, not one item left. My head fell in sadness, and I exited the shop, not even thinking about the time as I dashed to an empty bus shelter, coming to a conclusion that I would just wait it out rather than run to my house, my parents would just have to deal with it. After all, I didn’t control the weather. I watched as the time on my phone turned to five o’clock, and I knew I was dead. The calls asking where I am would come in what I guessed around ten minutes, so I waited.I drooped my head a little, stuffing my cold hands in the pockets of my thin coat as I let my shopping bags go to the floor. No one passed me, I noticed, and so I let my head drop a little lower, closing my eyes in order to keep focused on staying warm.

 

“Are you okay?” A voice asked from above me. It was male, I could tell, and I vaguely recognised it, I just didn’t know from where.

I lifted my head a little to see the stranger. I definitely knew him, he attended the same school as me, known as the cold guy by most people because he barely smiled at anyone, except his own little group of friends. The girls adored him, named Kim Myungsoo,  including my best friend, but me, I found him attractive, I’m sure everyone did, but I didn’t see past the attraction of his looks to him as much as other girls did.

“I’m fine,” I answered.

“Is that why you’re waiting at an empty bus station and you’ve not gotten on any of the three buses that have passed?”

“How did you- Have you been watching me?” I exclaimed.

“I was seeing if you’d actually move. I was going to help you, but then I thought: Well, what if you’re getting a bus? And I make a complete fool of myself. But seen as you have been here for half an hour, I guessed you would want some help.”

“Even from you?”

“Me?”

“Yes, you.”
“Why wouldn’t I help you?”

“Because you’re ‘Mr. Cold Guy’ who’s adored by every girl ever in the school, and probably knows it but just chooses to ignore it.”

Myungsoo laughed. He laughed. For the first time ever that wasn’t at something his friend said. “And, are you one of these girls?” He inquired, giving me his signature eye stare, though a hint of a smile played at his lips and eyes as he said.

I scoffed. “Of course not.”

“So not every girl, then?”

“Well, did you want me to name all the girls that do?” I questioned.

“I already know, they don’t exactly make it discreet, even when they know I’m listening.”

“So I was right. You do know.”

“Of course I know. I just have no interest in them whatsoever.”

“Why?”

“Because I have an interest in someone else.”

“Who?”

“What is this, twenty questions?”

“No, so can I make it three questions and ask you one more?”

“Sure.”

“Do you even know who I am?”

“Of course I do. You’re Sora. Kwon Sora, in most of my classes, good at art etc, rather popular,” he stated. “I like photography, so I spend my life like a saddo observing people and capturing them in different lights, physically and mentally.”

Though I tried to hide it, I smiled. I didn’t want him to know, but he still saw anyway. He really wasn’t like what everyone said; when you got to know him better at least.“You’re not that bad, you know.”

“I thought I was Mr. Cold Guy?”

“You are, to everyone else, not me anymore, I guess.”

 

The expected phone call that I’d forgotten all about came just then, and the familiar face of my mother came up on the caller id.

“Hello?” I answered.

“Sora?! Where are you?”

“Relax, I’m just waiting out the rain, I’ll be home later I promise, if there’s any problems I’ll call you, okay?”

“But, Sora-”

“I’ll see you later, bye Mum.”

 

I hung up the phone before she could reply, and placed it back in my pocket.


“I could walk you home, you know. I have an umbrella.”

“Wouldn’t you be embarrassed and scared I’d ruin your image?” I asked as seriously as I could.

“I think I can deal with it,” he chuckled, prior to leaning down towards my ear to whisper. “I wouldn’t mind being seen with you either, though.”

A slight giggle escaped my lips, and he smiled once again as he lifted his head away from me.

 

He helped me up out of my seat, and took two out of my three bags out of my hand, given he’d not got a bag of his own anyway. I tried to protest, but he wouldn’t hear it, swinging the umbrella over both our heads as we began to walk.

“Can I ask another question?”

“I thought it was a game of only three questions?”

“Well, I’m adding a few more.”

“Fair enough.”

“Why do you act like a douche and don’t talk to anyone all the time, yet you’re like this now.”

He looked at me as serious as he does at school, and for a second, just for a second, I saw the attraction that all those girls could see every time they saw him, but in an instant, it was almost gone, though a little remained, just a little. “I do it so girls will be attracted to me so I can get a girlfriend. What can I say, I’m desperate.”

I hit his arm in frustration as he burst out laughing. “I’m serious here,” I whined.

“Fine, fine. I don’t know why I do it. It’s just my natural face and aura, I’ve always been like it. When I was younger, my mother always used to say I was shy, and when I suddenly got all this popularity from girls she knew about it, and worried about if I’d be okay. I was fine, obviously, I just had no interest in any of the girls that took a ‘liking’ to me, so to speak. And, uh, also…”

“Continue,” I answered.

“I got rejected by this girl when I was thirteen, and it got me down, so I just thought I wouldn’t bother with girls again, well, at least until now.”
You got rejected?! You?”

“Why are you so surprised?”

“Because you’re… you’re you! Who wouldn’t want to go out with you? Except me. I’m an exception,” I added quickly.

“She was older, and way out of my league,” he looked down as if reliving the moment. “Never again.”

“But-”

“I think it’s my turn to ask a question, don’t you think?”

“Fine,” I muttered.

“So, mysterious Kwon Sora, why are you not squealing internally, or having a heart attack whatsoever because the famous Kim Myungsoo is here? Why are you a good different from all the rest?” We’d stopped, and his face was inches from mine.

“T-That’s two questions,” I stuttered, hardly able to breath from the close proximity.

“Answer them both then,” he grinned.

“I-I…”

“Yes…”

“I prefer Woohyun if I’m honest,” I answered. It was half the truth. His friend was very good looking, and I had liked him for a time during my first few years at high school, though not anymore, but the boy in front of me didn’t need to know that.

“Tsk, really?” He gave a half laugh, sounding as if he couldn’t believe I’d said that. I nodded, but he still didn’t look as if he believed it. “So, should I call Woohyun-hyung right now and tell him? Maybe set you up?”

“Go for it,” I offered.

“Okay.” He got out his phone and began dialling a number, watching me the entire time, expecting me to jump out and stop him any time. Pressing the phone to his ear, though I could tell he’d put it on speaker to annoy me, the phone began to ring, until a voice who I recognised as Woohyun’s answered on the other end.

“Hello?” He answered.

“Woohyun-hyung, just a quick call. I’m currently taking a walk in the rain with Kwon Sora-ssi, and she told me some information that you might like to know. You know her, right?” He looked over at me and raised an eyebrow, as if he was challenging me on my sincerity. I bit my lip in anxiousness, debating on whether to intervene.

“Of course I know her, she’s the one you’re…” Woohyun’s voice could no longer be heard as Myungsoo put his hand over the speakers.

“Can you not? The phone’s on speaker!” He exclaimed.

“Oh,” I heard Woohyun laugh. “Sorry.”

“But anyway I was wondering if you knew that she-”
“Woah wait stop! Stop! Say goodbye and hang up!” I exclaimed. I knew he was going to go through with it now, so I thought it best to stop it, and just confess I wasn’t telling the entire truth.

“So.”

“So what?”

“So, what’s the real reason that you have no interest in me?”

“Why are you so bothered?”

“Because you are the single girl that I know of that hasn’t tried to talk to me or take in an interest in me whatsoever, and that frustrates me immensely.”

“Why?”

 

His body suddenly got closer to mine again. My breathing quickened, and I could see in his eyes he wanted to say something, and I knew he was holding back. As quick as he’d pulled me closer, he’d moved away again, looking away from me for a moment.

“Nothing, it doesn’t matter.”

“Tell me. What is it?”

“It doesn’t matter. You can continue your questions now,” he answered, and I sensed he wasn’t joking.

“Okay, why does it frustrate you?”

“Any question but that. I’m sorry for even bringing it up, you’ll find out eventually anyway.”

“Fine. Do you even know where I live?”

“Nope, so we’re going to my house.”

“What?!

“Your parents know mine, I found out, so I’m sure they’ll be fine with it. I’ll just get my mum to call yours. My house is only around the corner anyway.”

 

Sure enough, as we to the next street, Myungsoo pointed his house out as one of the ones around the middle of the street. I recognised it as the ‘posh’ neighbourhood, due to all the huge houses around it, and Myungsoo’s was no exception.

 

“Did you plan this entire night?”

“Sora, I know I’m amazing, but I can’t control the weather.”

“I never knew you were so cocky and sarcastic.”

“People not knowing things about you tends to come with the silent, rude personality.”

“So, you know it’s rude, but you still do it.”

His answer was a simple ‘yeah’ and a shrug as he approached his front door, bringing a key out of his pocket and unlocking it.

 

“Mum! I’m home!” He called down the hallway that I assume led to the rest of the house.

“I’m in the kitchen, dear! Come through!” A woman’s voice answered. I assumed the room at the far end of the corridor was the kitchen as the sound came from there, and Myungsoo gestured for me to follow him towards it.

“Did you have a nice- Oh, hello Sora. I haven’t seen you in years, how are you?” She addressed me as soon as she saw me, a genuine smile on her face as if she’d known me all her life. “Forgive me, I doubt you remember me, right? I’m a good friend of your mother’s.”

My automatic politeness that whenever I was in contact with new people and strangers kicked in when I spoke. “I’m afraid I don’t remember, but Myungsoo informed me that you knew them when we weren’t far from here.”

“Speaking of knowing her parents, Sora’s parents are worried about her whereabouts, and they obviously trust you. So, could you ring them to explain she’s here and safe?” Myungsoo asked. “And also mention, that she’ll stay here until the rain stops.”

“Is that okay with you Sora?” His mother turned to me.

“If it’s okay with you Mrs. Kim, then I’ll be glad to.” I smiled.

“Of course it’s okay with me. I’ll ring your parents in a minute, you two can go and watch TV in the living room if you like.”

I was about to agree when Myungsoo cut me off. “We’re actually going to my room, hope that’s okay.”

Mrs. Kim looked at me, then nodded, turning back to her dishes as Myungsoo took me by the wrist gently and led me towards the staircase. Strangely, I let him, and once up the stairs we walked past various doors until we reached one at the very end of the hallway, at what I assumed was the very back of the house. The door had nothing on it besides a sign which read ‘Myungsoo’s Room’.

“My brother’s probably in his room, but he tends to come into mine from time to time, so if you see a fifteen year old boy who looks a little like me come in, it’s him.” I nodded.

He entered first and I stepped in afterwards, automatically admiring the monotone room before me. A simple double bed was set in the corner of the room, the black and grey quilt was set neatly on the bed, and various cushions were diagonally placed along the width of it. A desk was set at the other end of the room, by the door, a laptop on the surface and a spinning black chair tucked underneath it. Wardrobes and drawers that I assumed held his clothes were fitted into an extra part in the room pressed to the back of it. Two windows were on the outside wall, looking out onto the garden filled with various colourful flowers and plants. Half of the four walls were painted two shades of grey, whilst the other two were plain white, though some pictures and drawings were hung in different places around the room.

 

“Would you like the complimentary tour of my bedroom, miss?” Myungsoo teased when he caught me looking around.

I scoffed. “No thank you, kind sir. Is there anything else to do?”

“Well, there always is-”

“Not in that way, you ert.”

“Any compliments on my room?”

“Very muted,” I answered.

“That’s how I like it. My friends always bug me for wearing black, it’s annoying.”

“Maybe you should wear some-” He looked at me. “Uh, I mean, what you wear is fine.”

He continued to squint his eyes at me seriously, once again giving me the ‘cold guy’ stare that he was so famous for, until he chuckled lightly, shaking his head and looking away.

“Do you want to watch something, film? Drama? Documentary? Whatever floats your boat.”

“Do you have Heirs by any chance?”

“Why, got a crush on Lee Minho?” He smirked.

“No.” I folded my arms.

“Yeah, okay.” He scoffed, before removing his Sherlock-esque style coat and draping it over the desk chair, and continuing on to switch the lights off and let himself fall onto the bed, sitting up after a few seconds and patting the space beside him for me to sit on. I hesitantly walked over, sitting lightly on the edge of the bed and my head turned towards the television that was hung up on the wall.

“You can actually sit next to me, you know,” he reminded me.

I suddenly felt very nervous as I swung my legs onto the bed, sitting beside him awkwardly, inches between us as I looked down at my hands, fiddling with them as I always did when I was nervous.

He pressed the play button on the remote, causing the familiar theme song and beginning of my favourite show to begin. The first episode that I’d watched 20 times over opened up and the drama got started.

 

*****

 

Around half an hour in, I was hooked as I always was, and not necessarily because of the drama itself, but because of one of the actors in it. I didn’t want to ‘fangirl’ in front Myungsoo, obviously, so I tried to keep it all under control, though that did not last long at all.

“Agh, Yoon Chanyoung please please please.... Marry me,” I sighed the last two words, my eyes staring in admiration at the actor on the screen; his real name Kang Minhyuk.

“So, Lee Minho wasn’t the reason all this time? It was Kang Minhyuk?” Myungsoo questioned. I didn’t even notice him looking from the screen and back at me, I was too in the imaginary moment with the actor on screen. “Hey, why are you drooling?!”

“I wasn’t drooling!”

“What’s that on your face then?” He pointed to my chin.

“It’s, it’s- Just shut up, okay! Let me watch.” I turned back to the screen, where Minhyuk was speaking again, and my mind instantly fell back to him.

“Is he really better looking than me?” Myungsoo asked. In all honesty, I could barely hear him as my mind was so blank. “Ja! Kwon Sora! Is Kang Minhyuk better looking than me?”

I turned to him. “What kind of question is that?”

“One you need to answer, before I tell Woohyun you love him. Also, I’m switching this off after that, and we’re watching Miracles In Cell Number Seven, okay?”

“Why, are you jealous?” I extended the last word, taunting him a little.

“Of course I’m not,” he snapped. “Just answer the question.”

“I can’t. I might offend you.”

“It won’t offend me, wait, you think he’s better looking?”

“Maybe.”

“Aish,” he rolled his eyes. “Okay, I’m switching this off, time to cry, Sora.”

“No, please please, I don’t want to watch it, it’s too sad.”

“If you cry I’ll hug you.”

“I’ll try not to cry then.” I grinned.

 

A sarcastic smile appeared on his lips until he found the movie and pressed play. I really wanted to cover my face. I rarely let people see me cry, and Myungsoo was no exception, but the problem with that film was, it was impossible not to cry.

I already felt tears pricking at my eyes in the first twenty five minutes, due to the fact that I already knew what happened at the end, and it was saddening to even watch the start now.

Eventually I couldn’t take it anymore; I don’t know why I did what I did, I couldn’t help it and it was strangely the first thing I thought of to do. My head turned to the side and let my eyes and most of my face hide into Myungsoo’s arm, wettening his t-shirt and probably smudging black all over it.

“Are you crying already?” He asked, though a sniffle was heard after his question making me wonder if he was tearing up so soon as well.

“No,” I insisted, though my face was still buried into his shoulder.

I felt a hand lift my head away from his shoulder, moving it to face him. His eyes moved along my facial features, lingering on my lips before returning to make eye contact with me. My breathing quickened and I was sure he knew. His thumbs ran softly along my cheeks, his eyes getting bigger and I realised it was because he was getting closer to me. More and more nervous I got as his perfect lips came closer to mine. My eyes closed of their own accord when his did, and I felt his mouth brush along mine, until the light flickered on and a male voice came into the room.

 

“Myungsoo! Why didn’t you tell me you were- Oh, who’s this?”

Both of us quickly moved away from each other, me looking down at my hands again and fiddling while Myungsoo tried to look calm in front of the boy stood before us. “Moonsoo, this is Kwon Sora, she’s in some of my classes at school.” He introduced. “Sora, this is-uh, this is my brother.”

“Nice to meet you, Moonsoo,” I said politely.

“You too. What are you watching? Can I watch too-”

“Not today, sorry. Can you leave us alone just for tonight? I promise I’ll watch a movie with you tomorrow,” Myungsoo compromised.

Moonsoo looked sad, but quickly accepted. “Sure, I’ll see you later.” He began to leave and the boy beside me nodded and smiled at him, the door closing behind his brother when he left.

The two of us both looked at each other at the same time, and I suddenly felt embarrassed, but he didn’t seem to. By the time I’d even got my thoughts straight, he’d already smiled and began leaning down again, but I turned away.

“What am I doing here, Myungsoo?” I asked.

“It was raining,” was his simple answer.

“I mean, why did you help me, why were you so nice to me when you’ve always ignored me and everyone at school?”

“Sora…”

“No. No more excuses, because I know that that’s what you’ll say. Just tell me the truth of why you helped me, and invited me to your house, and… And, almost kissed me just now.”

“Sora,” he repeated. “I’m sorry.”

“What are you sorry for?” We’d since moved positions when his brother walked in. He was sat against the wall, while I was sat on the other side, my legs over the edge of the bed, not facing him. “Just tell me, you seemed to be confident enough before. What’s changed?”

“What’s changed is that before it was actions, now it’s words.”

“What words?” I whispered.

 

“I like you.”


 

My heart felt as if it stopped. I could feel his eyes on me, waiting for some sort of answer that I could not form with my mind. The witty sentences that I usually conjured up within five seconds of someone saying something were now gone, I could form a coherent sentence without stuttering something confusing in between. But, when he said my name, it sparked a response in me for some unnameable reason.

“Sora.”

“Y-You… You like me?” I turned to face him, my eyes meeting his gradually hurting ones.

“Yes.”

“S-Since when? How? Why?”

“Since we were fourteen and you were first in one of my classes. How? I don’t know how. Why? Because, you were the only girl who didn’t act dumb or acted cocky for attention. If you knew the answer, you answered it, if you didn’t, you asked for help. You’re different to the other girls, I always feel their eyes on me, but whenever I glance at you for one second you never acknowledge it. I suppose I was intrigued at first, as to why you, and only you, acted the way you did. When I heard your best friend admire me I never heard you, and I wondered if you hated me. I wanted this night to be perfect for this moment, when I tell you about all this. But I suppose without a plan the night could never be perfect, I hadn’t known you’d be out in the rain anyway. I’m sorry because of all this, I’m sorry because I tried to kiss you, and I’m sorry this was the crappiest confession anyone’s ever done. Those were the words that were so hard to say to you compared to the actions.”

I felt my legs move of their own accord, kneeling in front of Myungsoo, putting me up to the same height as him, though I still couldn’t look him straight in the eye.

It was the first time I’d ever seen Kim Myungsoo look as if he’d given up on something, he normally looked as if he didn’t care, or bored, just definitely not defeated. It hurt me to see him like this, yet I didn’t know why. I didn’t know if it was because I felt sorry that he was feeling like this, or if my hurt only portrayed what I really felt. It was true, these past few hours had been nice, he’d been nice to be with. I’d refused to like the cold, emotionless Myungsoo that I saw at school, but, was there a chance that this caring, sickeningly sweet version of him would change my mind?

 

I couldn’t think any more about it when the door to Myungsoo’s room opened again. I thought it would be his brother, but I was surprised to see his mother there, looking as if she didn’t want to intrude.

“Sora, your parents said it’s okay to stay, and if the rain continues for the night, then you are more than welcome to stay here. I’m sure Moonsoo could share with Myungsoo so you could stay in either of their rooms.”

“Thank you Mrs. Kim, I really appreciate it but I don’t think I can stay.”

“Okay, dear. Well, if you change your mind, just let me know. But, will you at least stay for dinner?”

I wouldn’t mind staying for dinner, so despite my feelings, I put on a smile for her. “Okay,” I agreed.

“Good, it’ll be ready in about half an hour, so I’ll come up and get you then,” she gave me one last smile before she left the room and closed the door, not a sound being made from her son.

 

Once the sound of the door wafted to our ears, I felt Myungsoo’s hand brush over the duvet to mine,  “Stay. Please.”

“Why?”

“Because I don’t want you to go. What can I say, I’m selfish.” He chuckled, though I heard a sniffle and saw him put his tongue to his top lip after a pearl shape fall from his eye, making me wonder if he’d just cried.

“Myungsoo, are you… Is there something wrong other than that?”

“No, don’t worry about it. Let’s just watch the end of the film, and then have dinner,” he stated, wiping his face quickly with the back of his hand before getting comfortable in his previous spot, as if nothing had happened five minutes before.

“Myungsoo…”

“Do you want a different film?”

I shook my head, and moved away from him to also sit back in my previous place from ten minutes ago, though, now that I looked, I was sitting closer than last time, my upper arm almost touching his, barely centimeters apart. The film continued on in silence, neither of us reacted to anything that it threw at us. Without acknowledging it, the warmth from beneath my head made me realise that I’d let my head fall onto his shoulder. Everything in me was telling me to stay there, but something else was telling me that it wasn’t fair on him. I didn’t know my feelings for him, and this could give him the opposite of what I want, if I decide that.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to.” I said.

“You didn’t mean to what?” He asked, looking down at me.

“To lean on you, I guess my head was tired.”

“You can stay there if you want. Do you want to sleep?”

“I’ll have dinner first, I might afterwards, if that’s okay with you and your brother, that is.”

“We’ll just deprive you of sleep if we don’t agree,” he grinned. That was another thing I’d learnt about him, he can make any sad situation, even if it’s his own, good, just by smiling or cracking a small sarcastic joke.

 

As promised, Mrs. Kim came in thirty minutes later, and Myungsoo paused the film before we both left the bed and exited the room, silence enveloping the air around us as we walked down the stairs to the dining room, where the rest of the Kim family were already sat down, including Mr. Kim, who I had not yet met.

“Dad, this is Sora, but I guess you know that already,” Myungsoo introduced.

“I do. Nice to meet you.”

“You too.” I bowed a little respectfully before seating myself in an empty seat beside Moonsoo, with Myungsoo sitting next to me.

 

*****

 

The dinner  consisted mostly of Mr and Mrs Kim asking about how my parents were and what they’d been doing recently, which I replied with the compliable answer to the question that I expected my parents to say. Moonsoo also unexpectedly asked me a few questions, but they were random, much as if I were playing twenty questions for the second time that day; I didn’t know whether that was his intent.

After everyone was finished, I was about to help clear up when Myungsoo asked for us to be excused, and after his mother insisted, I eventually agreed to go with him.

“You’re tired, aren’t you?” He asked when I inquired as to why he requested to go upstairs.

“I am, but I could’ve helped. I feel rude.”

“It’s my fault you came upstairs, so don’t feel like that, okay? Come on, you can sleep in my room.”

“With.. you?”

“I won’t do anything. We can even put a barrier up.”

Nodding slightly, I followed him down the hall to his room again, him shutting the door behind us once we’d both entered.

“I don’t have anything to sleep in,” I remembered.

“I hope you like t-shirts then.”

“I sleep in them anyway.”

 

He nodded and began walking to one of the drawers, opening it and rummaging through until he found what he was looking for. Throwing a grey t-shirt towards me, he closed the drawer back up and began leaving the room.

“Where are you going?”

“What? You want me to watch you change?” He asked, a put-on seriousness in his voice.

“Of course not, I’ll tell you when to come in again,” I stated.

He laughed a little before leaving the room, closing the door behind him. I began to remove my items of clothing, besides my underwear, clutching the t-shirt to me the entire time in case he came back in, until I pulled the t-shirt over my head and I was all set. The shirt came just to mid-thigh length, and it was pretty much like wearing one of those t-shirt dresses, so I wasn’t too worried.

As I was walking to the door, I called come in from inside the door when I was there, but no response came. Again, I called, but again no response. Confused, I opened the door to ask what he was doing, but he wasn’t there. I established that he’d gone to do something, and so closed the door again and waited on the bed for him.

 

*****

 

“Hey, it’s me, can I come in?” A voice asked from behind the door almost ten minutes later.

“No, it taking me longer than ten minutes to put a t-shirt on and I’ve not got any clothes on,” I answered, flicking through a magazine that I’d found beside his bed. Myungsoo walked in a minute later, a smirk on his face.  “Hey! What if I wasn’t kidding?”

“Then that would’ve been very embarrassing.”

“I need to change, I’ll tell you when I’ve done.”

“Okay,” I began walking out the door, giving one last look at him rummaging through his drawers again, before I closed the door.

As I stood there, waiting, I couldn’t help but think about how Myungsoo was acting as if he hadn’t confessed anything to me just a few hours ago, and suddenly acted like everything was normal. I knew I was probably very stupid to even consider staying at the house, let alone sleep in the same bed with him when I barely knew the guy, but I felt like the very few hours we’d spent together had been an insight into what he was really like, and I felt as if I’d known him well for years instead of hours. He was just one of those people I could get on with straight away, understand his sarcasm and give it right back to him instantly.

 

A ‘come in’ distracted me from my thoughts, and I twisted the handle on the door to let myself in, to be met with Myungsoo’s back to me. He had a loose white tank top on with a pair of grey jogger-like shorts. His hair was a mess, and I couldn’t deny myself the simple pleasure of looking at him, when he looked this good, which I automatically scolded myself for thinking that when he turned around, noticing that I was practically gawking in awe at him.

“Wow, I look that good?”

“You’re so arrogant,” I folded my arms and looked away.

“And you, are stubborn. So are we equal?”

I rolled my eyes at him but couldn’t stop a smile escaping my lips as I walked over to him. Getting under the monotone quilt, he began doing as promised and placing pillows down the middle of the bed, separating us. I climbed in on the other side, and snuggled down underneath the covers.

“Goodnight Sora.”

“Goodnight Myungsoo.”

 

I could hear his breathing from the other side, but it never slowed. I felt as if I needed to ask him something, so, five minutes later, when I could still hear his breathing speed never change, I made sure he was awake.

“Myungsoo?”

“Hm?”

“Can I ask you something?”

“Of course, what is it?”

“Why did you ignore me all this time when you knew you liked me? Why didn’t you make actions before if you couldn’t say it?” I thought it was a mistake once I’d said it, that he wanted no more said about the confession a few hours ago, but he contradicted me when he answered.

“Remember the girl who I got rejected by? It put me off, I didn’t want to get rejected by you as well as her, but now, I guess, my fear will come true.”

I was silent for a little while, biting my lip in thought of what to say. “Who said I’d reject you?”

“I-I just… I assumed that-”

“Assuming tears you apart. Don’t do it.”

I snuggled further into the covers and let sleep take over me a few minutes after that, as I knew he had nothing more to say, and neither did I. I feel as if we fell asleep at the same time, as when I heard his breathing finally slow, I felt my eyes flutter closed and my mind go blank.

 

****

 

Next morning, I knew I’d awoken before he had; I could see his chest rise and fall, not even stirring when I began to sit up. I rubbed my eyes incessantly, removing all traces of sleep from my system before I stood up and searched around for my clothes, finding them in neat pile beside the bedside table.

 

I quickly changed into them, looking at Myungsoo still sleeping on the bed before I left, taking my shopping bags and purse with me. I knew I’d by far out welcomed myself, and didn’t want to stay another minute when I know I didn’t need to. I felt bad when I realised I’d not even thanked him or said goodbye when I left, though, I did see his mother downstairs when I emerged from the bottom of the stairs, and I thanked her for the food the night before and a place to stay. She did offer to give me breakfast before I went on my way, but I politely refused it, not wanting to be more of a bother than I already had been.

I knew that Myungsoo’s neighborhood wasn’t far from mine, maybe half an hour walk or so, and I faintly knew the way there from where I was. Quickly texting my parents, I put my headphones on and began walking. The sun was out, a change from the unexpected downpour yesterday, and it was nice to walk in.

The walk gave me time to think about what Myungsoo said the night before, and what I said before we both slept. He deserved an answer, I knew, but I didn’t know what answer to give. Whether to take a chance and base my answer on my amazing few hours with him the night before, or the cold, emotionless boy at school who I took no interest in whatsoever. Though, I wasn’t even sure that boy would exist in my mind after meeting the sarcastic yet sweet side of him. When I would see him on Monday, would I see him in a different light than before, would I be able to act as if nothing happened?

 

I would forget. I’d pretend as if nothing happened as he would probably do; if he wanted an answer, I’d have to give him one, but if he never asked, I wouldn’t think about it.

 

I never realised I’d arrived home until I was stood face to face with my front door. Fumbling with my keys and unlocking it quickly, I stepped inside, to be met with the arms of my mother around me.

“Oh, Sora. Are you okay? Was it okay at the Kims?”

“It was fine, Mum. They treated me very well,” I smiled as she let go of me.

“Where did you sleep? Was it comfortable?”

“Their sons slept in the same room and I had one of their beds.”

A string of questions followed for the next half an hour, and I answered them all as best I could, trying not to make them worry more than they already had done.

 

--

 

For the rest of the day, I didn’t think about anything, I simply did what I always did: watched TV, texted, and dreaded school the next day, though for different reasons than normal.

 

///

 

Time came around faster than usual, and before I could even realise, I was already walking to school, like I did most weeks, ready for a completely what I thought normal day.

 

My best friend, Solji, was waiting for me at the gate, as always, and when I got to her we began walking inside the school grounds, entering the classroom around five minutes before the bell and taking our seats together.

 

“Has he possibly gotten more gorgeous over the weekend?” Solji whispered, referring to the boy she talked about most days just sat diagonally across two seats from us, talking to his friend and pretty much ignoring everyone else as usual.

I shrugged and began doodling on my page, though the boy who I was seemingly uninterested in before the weekend still caught my eye a few times, being unable to help it.

“Ah, Kim Myungsoo you really are something,” Solji sighed, now resting her hands on her chin in a comfortable position.

I shook my head. “You really are too obvious,” I laughed a little, remembering what he had said about Solji before.

“I am not! Anyway, what about Nam Woohyun next to him? He’s cute. And you like him, don’t you?” Solji whispered so quietly that I could barely hear her.

“Not anymore, no way.”

“But-”

“Can we stop talking about those two please?”

“Aish, okay. But are you alright? You seem a little off.”
“I’m fine, I promise.”

Solji was about to speak again when I was saved by the teacher entering the classroom, starting the lesson, and thankfully for me, this teacher was very strict, and would never give Solji a chance to speak again.

 

As much as I tried, I honestly couldn’t help sneaking a glance at Myungsoo every once in a while, who was looking as cold as he always did, traces of the weekend had vanished from his personality. I didn’t understand; he looked the same as always, but the smiley, sarcastic guy was still in my mind, even if he’d gone physically.

I managed to shake my thought of him until break, where we either stayed in the class or went outside. Due to all the rain at the weekend, most of the students stay put, as the boys couldn’t play football, and girls normally sat on the grass and watched them, thought it was too wet for that.

However, Solji and I and a few of our friends usually stayed put anyway, as the classroom was usually empty and we had time to talk with no one there.



 

“I need the bathroom, I’ll be back soon,” I stated to the three other girls.

“Okay, do you want me to come?” Solji asked.

“I’ll be fine.”

 

They nodded and I left the classroom, walking just a few short metres before I reached the bathroom.

I was out after a few minutes, and was making my way back to class. That was, until, a hand slammed on the locker in front of me, a body following behind.

“Why did you leave?” A familiar voice asked.

I looked up. “I didn’t want to be any more of a bother,” I answered half truthfully.

“Do you really think you’d be a bother after what I said on Saturday? Or do you not remember?” He asked.

I knew what he was talking about, of course I remembered, how could I forget? I just had no idea what to say to him, I still had no idea what my feelings were for him.

“Of course I remember,” I whispered. “Do you remember what I said? Before we fell asleep?”
“How could I forget that? But, you shouldn’t have said it.”

“Why?”
“Because if you didn’t mean it then I’m about to do something stupid.”

“When did I say I didn’t mean it? I told you that assuming-”

I stopped. His eyes met mine and he began leaning down, closer and closer, except this time, I wanted to kiss him. I didn’t have any regrets of my feelings now that he was doing something. I knew what I wanted, I knew my answer. There were no interruptions when his lips met mine, no crashing, no fierceness, just pure bliss as our lips fitted together perfectly. It was perfect, he was perfect, everything was perfect with him.

 

“I like you too,” I giggled when he pulled away, smiling down at me like he had at the weekend, and he was back. The sweet, kind, warm-hearted boy was back in my eyes, though it felt as if he never left.

 

From that day, Myungsoo was never so cold to anyone anymore, and I met his infamous friends who I’d heard so much about from other people, who ended up just being like normal people; with the occasional teasing of Myungsoo from time to time.

 

It was amazing, and I realised the boy that I’d never even took any particular interest in before, now changed my whole perspective of people.

 

I also realised,


Cold guys, are very unexpected.

 

//

 

Thank you for reading!! I hope you liked this and please comment your thoughts and if you enjoyed please upvote/tell me :)