I.Final

Close As Strangers

Shim Changmin likes Seo Joo Hyun. It was never a secret. Even though he denies it or doesn’t say it out loud for the world to hear. His actions towards her are more than enough to make it obvious that he cares for her more than an oppa to a dongsaeng and a sunbae to his hoobae.

Apparently, Seohyun likes him too. She always says that he is her closest oppa.

Everyone in SM knows there is something between them and it’s not just mere friendship.

But whatever they have won’t go smoothly because they’re not just Shim Changmin nor just Seo Joo Hyun, They are part of the two biggest names in the KPOP industry. He is Dong Bang Shin Ki’s Changmin and she is So Nyuh Shi Dae’s Seohyun.

Six weeks since I've been away
And now you're sayin' everything has changed

Because of DBSK’s concert tour in Japan, being the perfectionist that he is, Changmin would be practicing the whole day and when the day ends, he would be dead tired that he doesn’t even have time to look at his phone.

While he was lying in bed, about to fall asleep, his phone beeped. He looked at it notifying a message from Shinee’s Minho, a member of his group of friends called Kyu-Line. He noticed that he had many missed calls and unread messages.

Hyung!Wouldn’t you greet Seororo a happy birthday before this day ends?She might get upset you know.

Seohyun? Birthday? Huh? It’s June 28 today? Aish, how could I forget?

Changmin slammed his head on the bed. He was panicking. It was 11:55PM and this day was about to end but he still hasn’t greeted Seohyun, not because he forgot but he obviously didn’t have the sense of time anymore because of his busy schedule.

Ever since Changmin and Seohyun got close he was the first one to greet her on her birthday, he would always stay up till the clock strikes 12:00AM signaling that it is already the 28th day of June. He was pondering on whether he should call or just send her a message but seeing that he wasted 2 minutes panicking, he preferred to call her than send her a lengthy text because his mind is not working well right now. His mind is filled with ways on how he should talk to his Joohyun.

 

Because of the loud music and her unnies’ loud voices, Seohyun didn’t notice that her phone was ringing. She’s kinda upset that her favorite oppa hasn’t called or greeted her yet, she understands that he’s a really busy man, he’s Dong Bang Shin Ki after all, but what made her feel sadder is the fact that Yunho called her earlier just to greet her and he said that they we’re taking a break, she didn’t ask him where Changmin is though because it would be rude. She sent him a text after her conversation with Yunho.

Eat and rest well, oppa. Don’t be sick!:)

She waited for a reply but there was none. She always text him or try to call him just to check on him, she tried to surprise him by saying that she dyed her hair orange, but she couldn’t reach him, she tries to cheer herself up by saying that he’s busy or he’s resting and she shouldn’t probably disturb him. But she was hoping that today, on her birthday, he could’ve at least send her a simple “Happy Birthday”, she wasn’t expecting anything more so she felt heavy inside her heart when she thought that Changmin might be avoiding her.

Seeing Seohyun a little bit down looking at her phone, her Hyoyeon unnie confiscated it and telling her she won’t have it back till the party’s over, Seohyun was still kinda hoping that maybe he would call but shrug it off when her unnies and her friends started to distract her.

….

Seohyun was awakened with Tiffany,Sooyoung, Hyoyeon and Yuri’s laughs.

“Our maknae has so many guys interested on her” , she heard Sunny’s teasing voice but she’s not teasing her.

“Of course it’s not only you, oppa!”, This time it was Taeyeon.

She came up to them and her unnies looked at her

“Oh!Oppa!Here she is!She’s awake now!” ,Yoona excitingly announced.

Oppa? Seohyun thought to herself.

“Oh!Hello Seohyun-ah!”

“H-Hello Oppa!”

It was Super Junior’s Donghae on Skype and beside him was Eunhyuk who was munching on his sandwich.

“Why aren’t you replying to my texts and not answering my calls?I thought we’re a lot closer now?”, Donghae pouted as Eunhyuk nodded his head in agreement.

“I’m sorry about that, Hyoyeon unnie confiscated my phone yesterday—“

“Because she was so glued to it!!”, Hyoyeon butted in defensively.

“Oh, I see, It’s okay, we just wanted to greet you a happy birthday but I guess it’s too late now” .Donghae sadly told her.

“It’s okay oppas!At least you tried to call me and texted me yesterday and it was still June 28 when you sent me a message right?” Seohyun cheerfully said trying to uplift Donghae’s mood.

“Really?As expected of angel Joohyun!”, Eunhyuk said.

Seeing that Seohyun hasn’t replied to his message yet, Changmin tried to call her again, Ring Ring

“Hello?”

“Joo-,wait who is this?”

“Oh!Hello Changmin oppa,Hyoyeon here!”

“Why do you have Joohyun’s phone?Where is she?”,Changmin tried to ask calmly.

“Well, she’s talking with Donghae oppa on skype right now in the living room and I’m sorry well you see yesterday she kinda looks sad so I confis-“

“Donghae hyung?”,Changmin was quite surprised, Donghae and Seohyun wasn’t that close to be skyping with each other, he felt a tinge of jealousy.

“Yeah”

“Are they that close now?To be skyping..”

Hyoyeon just laughs and said “Of course, he’s a dear oppa!”

As Hyoyeon was coming nearer to their living room, Seohyun’s laughter can be heard in the background.

A DEAR OPPA? But I’m Joohyun’s dear oppa. Changmin sadly thought.


And I'm afraid that I might be losing you

 


Now every night that I spend alone
Kills me thinking of you on your own
And I wish I was back home next to you

Changmin misses her, he misses her so much.

She stopped sending him text messages.

Even in their small group chat in Kakao, she rarely sends updates.

One night when him and Minho were on the phone, Minho told them that Seohyun was gaining a lot of fan boys even more but she’s too busy to even notice them because SNSD just made their comeback. He also reported about the injury she gained from Running Man.

“How is she?Is it bad?Is she in the hospital?”,He was totally worried.

“Relax hyung!It’s just a minor scratch, you know her, she tends to be very competitive.”, Minho assured him.

But even though Minho said she’s alright he can’t help but think how much pain she felt and how was she right now.

So he sent her a text.

 

Joohyun-ah, how are you?

 

He was lying in bed, staring at the ceiling, waiting for a reply. Should I tell her how much I miss her? Changmin pondered.

 

Knock knock knock

Changmin’s thoughts was disturbed when Yunho knocked at his door.

 

“Yah!Changdola!Let’s go outside and eat dinner with manager hyungs!”

 

He thought about it for awhile

“…Sure,let’s go hyung!”

 

It’s better to go out and eat because he might go crazy if he continues staring at his ceiling, he’s been having hallucinations and sees Seohyun’s face there. Maybe he really needs to go out and eat. Eat a lot.

Changmin and Yunho were taking a break right after their successful concert tour, they were having a dinner with just their managers. One of their manager then told them about the upcoming SMTown Concert.

“Wooohooo!”, Yunho cheered

Changmin was just silently smiling, but his smile was full of excitement.

Despite being tired from their concert that just ended, SMTown feels more like a family reunion, and it was never considered as work for the both of them.

 He was excited to finally see his label mates and his friends. He was excited to finally see Seohyun.

 It feels like coming home, because with her he feels like home.

Oh everyday
You feel a little bit further away
And I don't know what to say

Weeks have passed and Seohyun and Changmin doesn’t contact or text each other anymore, Changmin feels like he was being tortured, though he convinces himself that he’ll get used to it. He has no idea that Seohyun feels the same way too. Both were waiting for the other to make a move first. They were both being stubborn.

Aish, this is frustrating! Changmin muttered to himself when he saw how everyone was mingling with each other except him and Seohyun.

“Seohyun-ah needs to get a sense of humor soon!”, Key was teasing her.

He was talking with Kyuhyun and Minho but he can’t help but be distracted when he saw how closer Seohyun looks with everyone else but him. He doesn’t want to come off as being too possessive though. But he and Seohyun usually have their small world even if they were with their friends.

“Yah Kim Kibum!You are the one with no sense of humor here!”, Seohyun said back.

“Ooh Makdeongi is being feisty!”, Heechul said while clapping his hands in delight.

Seohyun and Key continued their playful bickering as everyone, their sunabes and hoobaes are all looking at them. Even Jonghyun and other EXO members are joining in.

He wanted to too, but it seems like their jokes are all inside jokes that he doesn’t know anymore. He doesn’t know what to say. Everyone is laughing, but Changmin doesn’t get why he isn’t feeling any happiness.

He thought that these past 3 days, they could catch up with each other but he was wrong.

All of them spent their time together, but Changmin doesn’t get to hang out with Seohyun or even talk to her alone, even though they are at the same circle of friends, they didn’t even talk to each other and all Changmin can do is look at her when she talks and when he talks.

When Suho was telling a story, Changmin stole glances at Seohyun who was listening attentively. She was smiling. And he wished she would look at him like that again.

Here he is again, now in Thailand for an event  while Seohyun is back in Korea.

He decided to swallow his pride and make a move first, because he’s the man and if they continue to be like that

Seohyun might drift further away from him.

He started to send her a message again.

 

Joohyun, are we good?

 

It was the only thing he could say as of the moment, he’s scared that she might have bad feelings or disappointments towards him but he’s too afraid to ask, he just wants to know if she still considers him as a friend.

 

We’re good, oppa.

 

He wanted to ask how good this kind of good was but he’s still very cautious. Hours pass before he could reply again, he was busy the whole day and it was now 11:00PM.

He tried calling her, wondering if she’s still awake.

When Seohyun didn’t answer his call he was quite disappointed but then it hit him, he was in Thailand. If it’s 11PM there, it was already 1:00AM in Korea, and Seohyun is probably tired and sleeping heavily due to her jampacked schedule.

 

Late night calls and another text
Is this as good as we're gonna get?
Another time zone taking me away from you.

 

Seohyun and her unnies were busy filming another take of their body wrecking dance for Catch Me If You Can for a prerecorded performance for a music show. Like Changmin, she’s a perfectionist so instead of resting between takes she practices hard for their next shot.

She looks towards their fans with a warm gaze, appreciating their support. She smiled thinking that she’s living her dream, Changmin is living his too. And she remembers how Changmin used to talk to her every day, personally or through a phone call, about this kind of moment. After DBSK performs live, seeing how their fans cheer them on and loved them. He was always thrilled and overwhelmed that his eyes turn to this mismatch crescent moons.

Seohyun suddenly felt bittersweet about this dream. She loves her fans she really do, and she knows that he loves his Cassiopeias  just as she loves her Sones. But she can’t help but wonder what they could’ve or would’ve been right now if they’re just simple citizens, just Shim Changmin and just Seo Joo Hyun. Without people following and recognizing them anywhere, where they could move freely, talk freely and not think of being talked about and hurting others just because they have something special.
 

Livin' dreams and fluorescent lights
While you and I are running out of time

“Almost all of SNSD are dating, right?”, Kim So Eun suddenly asked while the cast of The Scholar Who Walks The Night is taking a break.

“No, Sunny and Seohyun aren’t.”, Lee Jun Ki answered

“Really?Seohyun’s really blooming these days, she looks like someone who is inlove”, Lee Yoobi said.

“She’s a goddess!”,Lee Soo Hyuk agreed.

“No!It would be heartbreaking to hear that she’s already taken, I’m a fan!”, Lee Jun Ki exclaimed.

 

Hearing Lee Junki like this, Changmin suddenly felt threatened. His coordi noona saw how his face changed when he heard Seohyun’s name being mentioned and she snickered.

“Say Changmin, are you close with her?”, Lee Soo Hyuk asked

“Yes we kinda are.”, Changmin answered without looking back at them trying to fix something with his clothes.

“Why don’t you invite her to visit on our set?”, Kim So Eun noticed his weird reaction so she “Well I suppose you’re not really close with her.”

The others laugh at her remark but Changmin kinda felt challenged.

“We’re close, she’s one of my closest dongsaeng.”

“Oh I envy you Changmin!I really want to get close to her, maybe you can let us meet together?”,Lee Jun Ki said with hopeful eyes.

 

“She’s busy nowadays.”, Changmin just cooly replied.

“That just means, he doesn’t like her to meet other guys because he likes her”,Lee Yoo Bi whispered to Kim So Eun and they both giggled.

“Busy?So she has no time to date?, Soo Hyuk asked

“Yeah, besides she told me she’s not yet ready to get to that level where in there’s a commitment..She still has dreams and goals she wants to achieve”, Changmin said with a sad smile.

“Himnae!”, the two girls already had a clue on how he knew that.


But you know that I'll always wait for you

On the phone
I can tell that you wanna move on

Due to his drama filming, he got to know many actors and actresses.

People would often assume or make up rumors that he’s courting or dating an actress, and some we’re believable enough that even Yunho had to ask him if it’s real.

He has been hanging out with a lot of actors and actresses nowadays.

Seohyun called him one day, he was surprised, he asked him if a rumor that him and an actress was seen having dinner together alone was true. Eventhough it was partly true, he was not interested with the actress but that actress likes him a lot, and he just wanted to be nice to her for they have the same circle of friends, and unfortunately they were photographed together. He wanted to make her jealous. So he just said

“Well, I’m lonely  and she’s attractive---“

Beep Beep

“Hello?Joohyun???”


Through the tears
I can hear that I shouldn't have gone

“Yah Changmin!”

Just as Seohyun terminated the call, Yunho suddenly went inside his room informing him that don’t try to joke with Seohyun about that certain scandal because this time she’s taking it seriously because apparently she has friends that were proving that this rumor is true. And that there was a picture of the actress kissing him on the cheek while he’s smiling.

 

It’s too late now hyung.AISH SHIM CHANGMIN,YOU FOOL.

Seohyun was truly hurt hearing that straight from Changmin’s own mouth.

“She’s attractive”

It echoes in her mind.

What happened to us?

I thought he’s willing to wait for me.

I supposed he got tired of waiting and he’s sick of me now.


Every day, gets harder to stay away from you

 

Changmin tries to call Seohyun again and again and explain it to her, he even asked for reinforcements.

He asked for her unnies’ help but I guess they’re disappointed at him as well.

“We tried to understand you when that spoon scandal with Victoria happened you know”, was all that Tiffany said and with that she ended the call.

She was kind enough to even answer his call, that’s what Siwon told him.

“But seriously hyung, why would you say that?”, Suho is now really confused with Changmin’s action, Changmin is usually careful and wouldn’t dare joke about this kind of stuff especially with his precious Joohyun.

Weeks have passed and Changmin and Seohyun haven’t talked and patch things up.

Are we wasting time
talking on a broken line?

He mustered up the courage to talk to her when he saw her along the hallways, it was awkward and silent both of them looking into each other’s eyes but her eyes are lifeless, cold and blank, not the usual bright, clear and sparkling warm eyes that always looks at him with love and sincerity before. He really wanted to fix things between him and Seohyun. He must admit his mistake, she might be mad now but in this way he hopes he can still save what they have.

“Joohyun, I’m glad we’ve bumped into each other today.”

 

Seohyun just stared at him with a poker face.

“Joohyun, I’m sorry—“

“Maybe we’re just wasting our time.”

Joohyun’s reply made his heart heavy.

“What do you mean by this?”

His heart was beating so much faster because of the nervousness while waiting for her reply.

“Don’t be burdened by me anymore.”

“I’m not burdened by you..”

“Then what are you apologizing for sunbae?”

Sunbae…

Changmin’s heart sank, he knew that Seohyun is deeply scarred.

“Are you just gonna throw everything we have like this JooHyun?”

“Sunbaenim, you should have thought about that before you did what you did.”

 


Telling you I haven't seen your face in ages

Changmin and Seohyun acted like strangers towards each other, months have passed since they talked but whenever they’re in the same room the tension cannot be unnoticed.

Though Seohyun seems like she’s doing well, deep inside her, the wound that she thought was healed would always burst open whenever she sees Changmin, Changmin who was ignoring her very existence.

It was another SMTown yet again.

She’s smiling towards the crowd, waving to them as if telling them that she’s happy and fine and is doing well.

Changmin, who can’t help but take a glance at her was hurting much more knowing that he caused this precious angel to suffer by herself.

“She’s much more stronger than what you think”, is what his Yunho hyung would’ve said if  he’s here right now, but Yunho didn’t come to this SMTown because he’s getting ready to enter the army. This made him feel lonely even more.

Singing the usual ending song for SMTown stages wherein he should look so happy was really hard for him today.

She’s right in front of him but he can’t even touch or smile at her. He misses her so badly. He misses what they used to be.


I feel like we're as close as strangers

He tries to casually smile and have a moment with  her by following her on stage but not obviously with the help of his hoobaes, but to no avail, she continues to ignore him and would rather be alone than to be within the same frame with him.


I won't give up
even though it hurts so much

The song is about to end, it’s the time wherein the artists would form a line and would hold hands to bow. He wanted to hold her hand, it’s his last SMTown in Japan today, asking his Super Junior hyungs to help and his EXO hoobaes too.

Seohyun was surrounded with her unnies,Red Velvet and Shinee and apparently, Donghae.

So when the time to hold hands and bow came, Siwon’s plan to arrange artists in a certain way failed and didn’t reach the other side where Seohyun was at, Seohyun should’ve been with in the center holding Changmin’s hand, but no,destiny wasn’t on their side.

Changmin looked at where Seohyun is and realized that she and Donghae were holding hands.

He felt like he lost something very dear to him at that moment.

He felt like he lost big time.

And in front of thousands of people, his precious Joohyun was not with him, he lost her.
Every night I'm losing you in a thousand faces
Now it feels we're as close as strangers

“I’d get you back Joohyun, I promise, I’ll get you back”

He says to himself as he exits the stage still looking at her back view with determined but longing eyes

6 months since I went away
And to know everything has changed
But tomorrow I'll be coming back to you