final

Grow-a-boyfriend kit

Minho sighed as he stepped into his apartment after a long day. He threw his backpack away and kicked his shoes off. All he wanted to relax a bit because university alongside of work killed him slowly. He couldn't wait more to actually get a hot bath then go to bed early. He didn't have to work that day so he wanted to enjoy every second of it. He didn't have a day away from work for a while now.

He walked into the kitchen to drink some water, humming a delightful tune until something caught his attention. Or rather someone.

"What are you doing here?" without looking up, Minho asked. He poured some water then turned to look at Kibum who was sitting in the isle of the kitchen. He could feel he was going to be there since it was his boyfriend who took Minho's shift at work. His annoying ex-roommate always comes and goes as he likes. Minho cursed at himself for not taking the spare key away from Kibum.

"I was bored at home. And it's all your fault Jonghyun can't entertain me." Kibum said as he fiddled with an apple. He didn't look affected by the tone Minho used on him, not like he would ever. He didn't really care if he made his friend angry, especially because Minho quickly warms up.

"You should stop break into my apartment whenever you're bored." he scoffed at the boy. His eyes widened as he saw Kibum biting into the apple. "And stop eating my food!"

"It's not breaking in if I have a key." Kibum shuddered his shoulders with a small smile on his lips. He liked when Minho worked up so little things. He moved out of this apartment a month ago to move together with Jonghyun but he liked to come back to pick on Minho when he had time. He dramatically continued. "You're so rude. And I bothered to take over your mail."

Minho's ears perked up.

"What mail?" actually, he had something in his mind but he wasn't sure about it. He tried to keep down his excitement about the mail he's got to avoid the awkward conversation between Kibum and him. He would rather not involve another chatting about his love life with him. It was way too embarrassing.

"You're such a see through Minho. You know which one." Kibum bit down a smile that tried to break out on his lips. He found the whole situation incredibly funny with Minho's troubled expression as the cherry on the top.

"Kibum, I-" he started, desperate to explain it. Honestly, it was easy to misunderstand it.

"Actually, I think it's a pretty good idea." Kibum took the tiny package out of his pocket. He looked at it again. The packing was baby blue and held a title as 'grow a lover kit' and the instructions. He found it amusing that loneliness had made people to create something so original.

"What?" Minho was struck suddenly. He thought he didn't hear it right. He hadn't ever heard Kibum praise him but now, in this delicate topic. It was weird, indeed.

"Growing a girlfriend after you can't get one. You're surely creative." the ex-roommate laughed out loud and Minho finally understood the praising. "I didn't know you were this desperate."

"I-I'm not that desperate, I just-" it was so embarrassing talking about his ed up love life. Really, the last one he wanted to talk about was Kibum who constantly making fun of his misfortune. He ruffled his hair nervously. "You know I don't have luck with finding someone suitable for me. I mean, finding one is easy but keep them is hard."

It was really easy to find a pretty girl on the campus to have a date with her. Minho knew he was hot and charming so this step was rather simple. But building up a relationship with them was hard. Most of them friendzoned him right away after their first date and Minho's starting to lost count of these friendships.

"You're too much a nice guy, that's your problem." Kibum explained his theory furthermore. "You have lack of passion. You're too calm so even if you're clearly attractive, they'll find you boring."

"But I can't be someone I am not." Minho pouted because heck, Kibum was right. He had a hard time expressing his desirable feelings towards his ex-girlfriends so that's why they could find him nonchalant and dull. They flew off quickly and Minho left alone again. He thought after a while, it'll be easier to him to accept the rejection but no. It hasn't got any better by the time. He just lost his confidence and became lonely.

"I know, buddy. Now about your future girlfriend."  Kibum shook he package, changing the topic as he saw the discomfort on the other's face. He didn't want to push it anymore. Anyway, the whole situation was still hilarious to him to let it die down. "What if she won't look like you've imagined it?"

"I had to fill out a form beforehand." Minho mumbled embarrassedly. It took him a month to think through the whole thing and decide on order the kit. He kept carefully as a secret, he didn't even tell his best friend, Jonghyun but now the most annoying person he's ever known got to know about it.

"I have to see the final result." his ex-roommate said with a goofy smile. God, Minho was more entertaining than he thought he would be. He couldn't wait to tell his boyfriend about the whole growing a girlfriend thing. He was sure, Jonghyun will find it as funny as he did. "I'm staying over tonight."

Minho snorted, gaining back his confidence and began to act like he usually does.

"Of course."

"Okay, now let's make you a girlfriend!" Kibum threw the package to Minho. The boy caught it and carefully, word by word he started to read the instructions but he was cut by his roommate slamming a cup of hot water on the table. Minho sent him a questioning gaze. "I've already read that. You need hot water and just put that thing into it and you have to wait 12 hours. That's all. You've got a girl."

Minho narrowed his eyes. He was suspicious. Would it be that easy to make another human being? It felt it was more like those little dinosaurs you throw into the water and magically they became bigger. But it was way too expensive to that .

Kibum ended up ripping the package out of Minho's hands and do it himself. He wanted to see the result as soon as he could, also the other's slowness just annoyed the hell out of him. Careless about the shock written over Minho's face, he torn the top of the package and put the yellow ball-like thing into the water. When he finished with a smug smile on his lips, he leaned back and arched an eyebrow.

"It's 8pm now, so tomorrow 8am you'll have a lover.  So, how will your girlfriend look like?" Kibum asked, totally entertained on the sigh of Minho's change of emotions in such a short amount of time. Initially he was shocked, then angry, then desperate and after the question, he'd become giddy. It was rare to see him like that, especially he liked to act like a tough guy around Kibum to receive less critic about how he's just a little boy still.

"Well, she'll have middle-length auburn hair, sparkly eyes, cute pinch-able cheeks, straight nose and pink plush lips." Minho explained with true excitement in his voice. It was crystal clear how eager he was to see his new lover. He yawned- he almost forgot how tired he was for a moment- but continued it with dreamy eyes. "She'll be smaller than me but not too much. Just the perfect height so she'll have to stand on the tip of her toes to kiss me and I can ruffle her hair comfortably. She'll be slender but with a bit of muscles because I want do sport with her. She'll have talent for singing, dancing and playing the piano. Kibum, she'll be perfect."

The other was honestly surprised. It was unusual from Minho to talk to him with such a honest way, especially a vulnerable situation he was.

Kibum smug smile from before changed into a soft one.

"Let it be like this." Kibum said and saw Minho yawning again. He stood up and patted the other's arm tenderly.  "Come on lover boy, it's time to sleep."

The boy nodded and silently went to his room because he really need some.

He immediately fell asleep, not really caring about staying in jeans and shirt. He was too tired to care.

 

 

 

Minho was grateful to be tired because he was sure, he would've checked on the growing lover of his every two minutes. So he was glad he could sleep through the night  without waking up once as he fluttered his eyes open. He cursed himself for forgetting pulling the curtains together yesterday night because the light was the cause he was up already. He looked at the clock next to him. It said 7:30am. He still had half an hour to see his new girlfriend, so he let himself sink back to dreaming.

As the idea of his new girlfriend reached his mind, he immediately shoot up. Half an hour and he'll meet the love of his life, his perfect match, the perfect- artificial- human being for him. Suddenly, his drowsiness disappeared, he was wide awake.

He tried to calm himself down.

Breath in. Breath out.

Breath in. Breath out.

It didn't work.

He stood up and walked to the door of his room but he stopped in front of it.

He couldn't wait to meet his newfound lover but on the other hand, he was afraid of meeting her. What if she won't be like he imagined? What if this all thing was a hoax and all he's truly got was that dinosaur thingy. Because how could he imagine that from that yellow thingy, you can get a human? Suddenly, he felt so stupid for spending all of his saved money for this.

Minho played with the hem of his shirt while dropping  into despair. He leaned his head on  the door for a minute. He had to collect himself if there was any chance to meet his new girlfriend.

That was when he heard it.

Quiet footsteps on the hardwood floor.

First he thought it was Kibum but then he had to realize that his ex-roommate walks like a bulldozer. He remembered, how he used to wake up Minho with his walking whenever he wanted something from his room. Nothing similar compared these soft steps.

Secondly, then he thought it would be Jonghyun who decided to pay a visit to his best friend but in truth he was missing his boyfriend who didn't go home. He had to face the problem, Jonghyun didn't have key to his apartment so it was also impossible.

Family and other friend were also impossible because of the same reason.

It could be only one person.

His eyes widened at the thought. He didn't want to believe either.

It was his lover.

He heard the footsteps die down then volume up again. She must be scared of this place she was 'born' into. Or she was just simply curious.

Minho was both.

When he heard the soft footsteps coming toward his room, he ripped open the door and faced his new lover.

 

 

 

It wasn't exactly how he expected.

"Oh, hello! You must be Minho! I'm Taemin, your new lover." his new lover said in a cheerful and polite tone with sparkly eyes which were like melted golden in the early ray of sunshine and Minho had to gulp one because a very beautiful and very boy stood in front of him.

"Oh my god. It's not good, it's not good."

He held his breath as he made sure he's seen it right.

Yep, his new lover was a boy.

", , , !" Minho mumbled under his breath and broke through the boy, straight to the room next to his, banging on the door and yelling to his ex-roommate. He needed help right now. Taemin followed him, watching every of his movements with a curious gaze. "Kibum!"

The only answer was a dissatisfied moan.

"Kibum!"

A few minute and a lot of yelling later, the door cracked open revealing a really sleepy Kibum.

"Why are you so loud so early in the morning?" he grumped out, eyes squinted. He wasn't ready  to deal with Minho's already.

"Look!" Minho yelled again, totally out of his usual silent self and pointed at the boy who watched the whole scene with a small smile spreading on his lips. Kibum- who just noticed the newcomer- looked at his from head to toe and nodded approvingly. The boy in front of him really lived up to the expectations.

"Oh, he's really lovely."

"Thank you!" Taemin's smile widened. He started to like these weird people around him. Maybe his lover was a bit too loud but it wasn't something he couldn't get used to. He was made to love him unconditionally so he shouldn't be so caught up with his own rapidly beating heart but he was. He really liked this thing called love.

"Now, can I go back to sleep?" Minho couldn't say anything because beside he was freaked out of the boy, he was oddly captivated by him. It must be because he had the same features as his dream girl. The ex-roommate was about to close the door when he turned back to Minho with furrowed brows. "One thing! I didn't know you were into boys."

"Well, I'm not!" Minho's voice went higher and higher as he slowly lost it. "That's the problem."

"Am I the problem?" Taemin tried to involve in this conversation because he was curious why was his lover so worked up. He wanted to solve it quickly, so they could be happy from now on. But it looked like Minho had a problem accepting him. Wasn't he looking like as Minho wanted? But he was made by the data Minho's given.

"Yes- I mean, no. Not exactly you're the problem. Your gender is." Minho tried to explain it without really hurting the boy but it seemed impossible as a pout created on the usually smiley lips. He really felt like a head to make him feel like this. Hurting the boy wasn't his intention.

Taemin stayed silent and stared down at the floor.

"Only you, Minho." Kibum scoffed and shook his head in disbelief. "Only you could mess up such an important thing like this."

"I know! What should I do now?"

"First, give poor kid some clothes." he patted the boy's arm lightly. Kibum thought he looked like a nice guy and he would like to get to know him more but seeing Minho's near of having a mental breakdown, as a good friend as he was, he had to choose helping his friend rather than Taemin. "During that, I'll try to talk with the producer. Maybe we can send him back."

Taemin eyes widened and looked up at Minho as Kibum left for the phone call. Minho tried to act like he didn't notice the disappointment in the other's eyes and turned away to look for some decent clothes for him.

"You" his voice was quiet and insecure and he furrowed his eyebrows. "don't want me?"

"No." Minho admitted, not looking at the boy being afraid of the other's emotions. He found a sweatshirt and sweatpants which may fit on him. He handed them to the boy along with an underwear, still avoiding looking at him. He was being pathetic, he knew.

"But I was made for you." Taemin mumbled. Here it was. Half an hour after he was born and meeting with the lover he had been created for, discovering the feeling of love, he already had a broken heart.

"I know."

The boy sighed because he was made to make the other happy and so in love and it looked like he was doing a ty job. He played with the clothes in his hand, not really knowing what to do with them. He could see Minho and that Kibum guy wearing them but he honestly didn't have an idea how they put on.

"I don't know what to do with them."

"You know how to speak but you don't know how to dress up?" unknowingly a smile appeared on Minho's lips on how Taemin looked so fidgety and cute. It was hard being around the boy because he had to continually remind himself about Taemin being a boy. Not like that he reminded him a girl- surely not- but because he looked exactly like he dreamed of and it just whirled everything inside of him.

"It's not funny." he was embarrassed how he lacked the knowledge of the things of the simple life. He had a chip inside of him with every  information coded inside it of Minho what he's given in the form and the ability to speak but he still had a lot of things he had to learn himself.

"Come, I'll help you." Minho took the clothes from the auburn boy and searched for the underwear. He threw the pile of clothing to the floor and squatted in front of Taemin. It could've been really awkward for Minho to be in eye level with someone else's crotch but he was so caught up to help the boy dressing up and too busy to being denial about finding Taemin utterly attractive.

That was the moment Kibum decided to walk in.

"Well, I talked with the creator and-" Kibum stopped in his track as he saw the two in a compromising scene but his surprised expression quickly melted into an entertained one. "Oh, I see you're getting along well."

"You're misunderstanding the situation." Minho stood up with the speed of light with a furious blush spreading out on his cheeks. "He doesn't know how to dress up."

"I see." the ex-roommate snickered clearly wasn't believing any of the other's words.

"So what was with the creator?" Minho asked quickly, just to change the embarrassing topic.

"Ah yeah, she said she's out of the country and she'll come back in a month. So you two have to get along until this time." seeing the shock written all over his friend's face, he patted Minho's shoulders in a comforting way. He would like to stay and watch all the drama but he got a text from his boyfriend to hurry home. "On the other hand, Jonghyun texted me so I'm leaving you, now. Have fun!"

 

 

 

Minho really needed to clear out his mind. All this crazy things happening around him made him emotionally instable. Also, he was still a bit uncomfortable with the attention Taemin was giving him, like he was the most important thing in the whole world.

After Kibum left, he helped the auburn to dress up correctly then the boy who was aware of him not being welcomed here, tried to act as invisible as he could. Also, he could see Minho avoiding being in one airspace with him. He just built up hopes that Minho will actually learn how to love him, he was just surprised by him being a boy. As he thought about it, it could've been Minho choosing the wrong answer because the computer works precisely.

He decided he had to work harder.

Taemin saw Minho dressing up and the curiosity perked up in him. Was he going outside? The boy was dying to know about the outside world.

"Where are you going?" his voice sounded so loud in the silence and even Minho looked like he got startled by the sudden talking. Without looking at Taemin, he answered.

"Jogging."

"Can I go with you?" Taemin asked excitedly because it was in his chip. Minho would like to jog along with his lover.  Finally he could do something good!

Minho couldn't really flat out say no because he didn't really like that pout forming on the other's lips. Gosh, why did he have to be so perfect in every way possible except one, really important thing?

"Do as you please."

Taemin decided on going with him.

If it was something Minho loved, he loved it, too.

 

 

 

Day after day, Minho felt like he was suffocating by the other's kindness and love toward him. He didn't want to start liking the boy since it was less than a month to say goodbye to him and get his new, very own girlfriend. But it was literally impossible not to like Taemin since he was everything Minho's ever dreamed. Not just outside but he was perfect in the inside, too. He treated Minho like his very own god and tried to make his less trouble. He's never asked for anything. He ate less than average because he thought he was just a burden Minho had to take care of.

Once, Minho caught him lying on the couch. He didn't mean to hide and watch Taemin but as he was about to pass by him, something caught his attention. Under the dangerously low hanging sweatpants he could see his stomach peeking out and Minho was busy figuring out when he started to become so thirsty for a boy.

"Shh!" Minho became startled by the sudden hushing and felt like he was caught red handed. But he soon figured out it wasn't for him but the loudly growling stomach of Taemin.

"Stop growling." the auburn boy poked his tummy with a troubled expression. Minho could come out of his room any minute and he didn't want to hear him growling stomach. He tried to eat less since Minho worked so hard to maintain both of them and all he did was staying at home and watching TV to learn some basic human things like cleaning the house and cooking.

"Stop already!" with a huff he turned to his stomach so it might lower the sound. There was no way he would eat before the next meal which was breakfast. He skipped dinner because he wanted Minho to have home cooked lunch tomorrow.

And Minho knew it, also.

He sighed on the other's stupidity on starving himself for his sake and come out from his hiding place.

"Taemin!" Minho called out and the auburn boy looked up surprised because the man used to avoid him as much as he could still excluding their usual jogging in the morning. Minho hadn't said him to stop so he eventually followed him.

"Yes?"

"Want to go out eating something?" Minho tried to act casually like he didn't really cared about it but the happiness radiating from the other just because he was talking to him made him flushed. He really did feel like they were together because of all these shyness going around them.

"But you ate just now." Taemin furrowed his eyebrows.

"Yeah, but you didn't."

"Oh, I'm good. I'm not hungry." the boy was stubborn and it entertained Minho. He walked closer to the lying auburn and ruffled his long hair. The strands seemed so soft in Minho's hands, he wanted to caress them more but it would look weird so he turned his attention back to the topic.

"Really?  I just heard you talking to your tummy."

Taemin's head shoot up with wide eyes and blush all over his cheeks. Minho laughed a bit then- completely forgotten about his problem  with the boy- patted the other's .

"Come one, I'll treat you something really good."

 

 

 

Honestly, it took  Minho more time and a betrayal growl to make Taemin come with him to buy him something to eat. He wanted to buy the boy something fancy because he was so caring with Minho and he couldn't give anything back to him but Taemin was stubborn again and he told that the closest and cheapest hot dog stand will make it. They bickered over it a while but Minho let himself persuade and bought the boy two hot dogs.

"One would be more than enough." Taemin said with a concerned gaze as he wolfed down half of the first hot dog. This boy was really something.

"Of course, of course." Minho saw the smeared ketchup and mustard all over Taemin's face and hid a smile. "Wait, I'll bring you napkin."

It was nice. Being with Taemin is nice if he didn't try to over thinking everything. Of course it was easy to get along well with him since he was made to complete him but he was a bit more than he imagined. Taemin had these weird things, he was more realistic than he's ever thought he would be. Like he was like a real human even though he was an artificial one.

Minho smiled himself and grabbed a handful of napkin. He turned back but what he didn't like what he's seen. There were shady figures around the boy who seemed excited to get to contact with other human beings more than Minho and Kibum. He was still unaware how the things worked in the real world, all he's ever seen was from the TV shows and while he was jogging with Minho.

Minho was surprised how angry he's gotten because some people tried to steal away Taemin.

With a huff, he walked to the group with a big smile spreading on his lips and half embraced the boy and leaned closer to breath a peck on his cheeks to show off Taemin wasn't alone there. The auburn boy looked up with much surprise written all over his face, Minho had to lean closer to him and whisper.

"Act along." the boy almost invisibly nodded then smiled up at Minho who looked at the newcomers with a death glare. He was good acting fearsome. "So Taemin, who are they?"

Taemin  shuddered his shoulders while playing with the other's fingers.

"We're his friends." one of the guys said with a creepy smile, eyeing Taemin all the while.

"We should go now." Minho interlaced their fingers and try to make himself believe that his heartbeat change was caused by the sudden adrenaline rush as the shady guys followed them for a while. They changed tempo, they almost run but not for a second they let from each other. Taemin wanted to believe it was the start of something but he didn't really want to fool himself too.

They took an extra circle around the block to make sure these guys didn't find out where they lived. Minho squeezed the other's small hands to comfort him. He must have no clue what just happened.

The boy tugged on the other's arm.

"You don't have to act like that anymore. They aren't following us anymore." Taemin didn't look at him because the newfound shyness rushed through him hard. He understood that he got into some trouble and Minho saved him.

"Rather not. What if we meet them again?" Minho thought it was the year's lamest excuse ever because all he wanted to held Taemin's warm hands a little longer.

 

 

 

Days passed so quickly, Minho had to realize that the month was already over. He could get the phone call in any minute and he unintentionally he ignored all the incoming calls. He had millions of missed calls from Kibum and Jonghyun along his family members but somehow he couldn't bring himself to pick up the phone. He was scared because he didn't know what to do anymore.

He had to realize that these days he thought more of Taemin than his dream girl. When he was working all he could think of is Taemin being alright at home; if he's eaten; if he's been careful while cooking and cleaning; if he wasn't lonely in the apartment. His worry made him call over Kibum while he was working so he could accompanist the boy all day. This action showed how desperate he has became so suddenly. He couldn't get it himself.

He didn't want Taemin when he's first seen him and even now, he didn't know if he really wanted to be with Taemin.

"Just learn to love him." Kibum said him one day, thinking it was a brilliant advice. As it was that easy.

Minho rushed home after work because he was dying to see the auburn for an unknown reason. He remembered to grab some of the boy's favorite sweets on the go and tried to make his stupid smile disappear from his lips.

 Like it could happen.

 

 

 

When he stepped in a familiar scent hit him. It was the home cooked meal Taemin made him every night because this way he could help a bit to Minho even if it's not a lot. The grin reappeared on his face but this time he didn't even try to hide it.

"I'm home!" Minho yelled, waiting for the auburn to bouncing there with a big smile and greet him like always.

But his greet was other kind than he used to.

Taemin appeared in the hall but something was weird about him. It wasn't the usual atmosphere that he held around him but a more nature, a ier one. He never kept his eyes of Minho as he bit down on his plush lips. He walked closer to Minho with soft steps, still not saying a word.

Minho couldn't really understand the situation but well, he didn't even care right now. He couldn't tore his eyes off Taemin.

As the boy got closer, he put one hand on Minho's cheek and leaned closer. He had to stand on the tips of his toes and any other time, Minho would find it adorable it wasn't the time of that. Taemin brushed his lips on the other's one, not enough to call it a kiss or a peck but it was clearly something.

"Welcome home." he whispered into Minho's ears seductively. And like it was cut in half, Taemin was standing in front of him and smiling like he used to, maybe a more mischievous way  but it made the other think that it all might have been just a weird hallucination.

Act was over.

"W-who taught you this?" Minho asked, hating himself to stutter like this.

"Kibum."

Minho should have known it really. Who else.

"He  said, it should work." the sadness in his voice was over washed by the acted cheerfulness but Minho could hear it eventually. "I just really want you to love me."

Then it hit him hard.

 

Things were easier than he thought.

 

 

 

The next day was Mihno's free day and he happily spent it with Taemin. It wasn't anything extra, they just strolled on the streets, bought some sweets and returned home where he watched movies. He thought he could get used to this lifestyle.

Their perfect lazy day was interrupted by a phone call from the creator.

But Minho wasn't afraid anymore. He's decided everything.

As the phone call was over, he returned to Taemin on the couch.

"Who was that?" Taemin asked him every time someone called him because he was afraid of being taken away from Minho. He didn't finish it, he wanted to be with him more, he wanted to love him more.

"Your creator."

"What did she say?" the boy didn't really want to hear it, he already knew the sad truth.

"That she'll be here tomorrow for you." on the corner of his eyes, Minho looked at Taemin and was totally entertained by the other's reaction. Just as he imagined. Little he felt bad for making the auburn sad but it was going to worth it, so he didn't work up on it.

"I see." Taemin slowly said, eyes on the ground. He tried to fight down the urge to cry because if these were his last moments with Minho, he didn't want to spend it crying.

Minho laughed out loud beside him and it made one or two tears spill because was Minho so happy to get rid of him?

Suddenly a big hand appeared out of the nowhere and squished the boy's face so he looked like a fish and turned him to face with the tenderly smiling Minho. It was the same heartbeat he's felt before, which he could define as love. But this time, it was both of them.

The smiling face of the other got closer and kissed Taemin on the lips. The kiss tasted so sweet on his lips. He didn't realize how long he yearned for it. He watched Taemin's eyes flutter open after the kiss with full of surprise, confuse and most importantly love. And Minho was sure he's made his best choice ever.

"But I told her she doesn't have to come. You'll stay with me."

 

At the end, Minho's successfully grown a boyfriend.

 

 

 

an/ re-watched snl korea and it just ed me up

long srry but happy 2min anniversary for everyone!! also, thanks for inviting me to join the project <3

please upvote or comment if you liked it