Safe (Jongdae, LittleMermaid!AU)

In Another World (A Series of EXO Scenarios)

You woke suddenly, your eyes opening quickly, leading you to be instantly blinded by sunlight. There was sand everywhere and you were uncomfortable, gasping and lost and on the brink of panic. The breaths you took were quick and shallow. How could it be that you felt like both a drowning person who was taking in much needed air and also like a fish out of water at the same time?

In your frenzy, you didn’t notice the young man crouched down next to you, the one that had woken you. His mouth was open in surprise, but he certainly recovered his wits before you did.

“Miss,” he spoke. “Please, calm down!” His voice was soft but sturdy, melodious and calming. “You’re not in danger,” he continued. “What is your name? How did you end up here?”

You tried to find the answers to those questions, searching in your mind through a haze of confusion. Those memories were somewhere within your gasp, so close that you knew they would come back to you eventually, but right now, you didn’t know. When you looked out at the sea though, you felt distinctly as if you were close to home.

Had you come from the sea? You shook your head, willing yourself to steady your erratic heartbeats.  

A second shock came when you opened your mouth to reply to your saviour, only to realize that you couldn’t speak. Your eyes widened in fright again and you stared at him, wondering what was going on.

He raised his hands in front of him, in a motion of peace. “Miss, it’s okay,” he assured you. “Everything will be okay. Can you take some deep breaths for me?”

He nodded approvingly when you followed his instructions. “Good, good,” he murmured. “Now,” he said, using the same soft tone. “You can’t remember where you’re from?” You shook your head no. “Your name?” No again. “And you can’t speak?” Your sagging shoulders gave him the answer. He hummed in contemplation.

He gave you a small smile when he seemed to come to a conclusion. “No matter,” he said to you. “I can take care of you until we figure out where you should head next,” he explained. “Let’s get you some clothes and some food. For now…” He looked around, but seeing nothing of use, removed his own white button-up and handed it to you. “That should do until we get to the castle.”

You put on his shirt, instantly comforted by the scent of the cloth now covering you. You looked up to see a hand held out to you. Instinctively, you recoiled and eyed him wearily. Could you trust this stranger?

The hand stayed outstretched, and you heard his voice as he tried to calm you again. “Don’t worry,” he said. “I will try everything in my power to help you.”

With nowhere else to go, you took the leap of faith and grasped his hand. He sighed in relief as he pulled you up and turned you to face him. Staring into your eyes, as if trying to convey his upmost sincerity to you, he spoke again. “My name is Jongdae. Don’t be scared. No harm will come of you here.”

Jongdae smiled, and you believed him.