Chapter 14

Fifty Shades of Pink
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Open the throttle…”

“Pull the collective up…slowly…”

“Push the left pedal…”

“Adjusting…the cyclic…”

Oh my God. I’m flying. I’m ing flying the ing helicopter. Oh my God. I knew it. I knew all those simulation games I played when I should have been studying would come in handy one day.

“Now keep it steady.” Ms Pink’s hands guide my arms. “Follow the arrow.”

“Okay. I can do this.” I don’t know how I did it but I did it. Oh my God. I can’t say it enough. This is a ing miracle. Ms Pink is groaning behind me as I sit between her legs, stiff as a log of wood. I’m utterly focused and nothing can distract me from my mission. Nothing—oh God. Her thighs. So warm and nice. Her hands on my waist. Oh God. My eyebrows furrow as I double up on my concentration. Keep it together, stupid! I gotta get us back home. Yeah, and it’s only about an hour’s flight. Plus a landing. No sweat.

. Who am I kidding?

X

“Oh my God! I see it! I see it! We’re back!” I’m ecstatic. I can’t help it. After fifty-five minutes of deep concentration, I’m more than relieved to see the big, pink cross that demarcates Ms Pink’s landing pad.

“Toggle the pedals. Lean the chopper on one side as you draw nearer.”

I sneak a glance at the airspeed. Ms Pink’s instructions are to slow it to 40 knots before descending. Right. 30. 20. 10. The big, pink cross is right beneath us right now and Ms Pink drops the collective. Pulls something else.

“Cut the power,” she orders.

Power cut. Holy creeps. We made it. I flew a ing helicopter and I’m not even in an action movie. Is this real life? My celebratory thoughts are cut short as Ms Pink slumps onto my back.

“Ms Pink?”

There is no answer and she feels heavy on my back. Oh no. I turn around with dread and the sight of her out cold is causing me more anxiety than I thought I was capable of having.

“Ms Pink! What happened to her?”

Thank God! Seo is here! “It’s my blood. It hurt her but she made it all the way back here before blacking out.”

Seo wastes no time in hauling Ms Pink out of the helicopter. She dashes away in a blur, leaving me alone on the helipad. But I’ll be alright. Ms Pink needs help. I can find my way into her castle by myself. When I finally make my way back in, Seo is dashing towards me.

“I’m sorry. I had to put Ms Pink down first.”

“It’s alright. How is she?”

“Bad. Your blood is suppressing her supernatural energy. She’s losing her life force.”

“Does that mean she’s…dying?” I’m horrified.

Seo nods, looking grimmer than ever. “She’s in the freeze chamber right now. Hopefully, it will slow down the effects of your blood and give her energy some time to recharge.”

“Why are you freezing her?” Wouldn’t it cause another set of problems?

“Low temperature damages the RBC in your blood. I’m not sure if it’ll work since your blood is unusual but it’s worth a try.”

I blink. What? “How do you know this?”

“I studied Science in college.”

“Right.” I feel a little better about my ignorance since I’m studying Art and not Science in college. “That’s…good, right?”

“Destroying the integrity of your blood is the only thing I can think of right now. I hope your blood reacts to freezing the same way regular blood does.”

I cross my fingers. “I hope so too.”

“You have a class to attend,” says Seo.

“What day is it today?”

“Thursday. You have a class. Go. I will have your school things sent to the car.” Seo begins walking down the hallway so I follow her.

“Are you sending me to class? What about Ms Pink? You can’t leave her here by herself.”

Seo turns to me and smiles. “You are quite right. My loyalties are to Ms Pink. One of our drivers will send you to class.”

“Drivers?”

“Don’t worry. The Sovereign has been alerted. Whoever sent the vanguard will not send one any time soon. You are safe. For now.”

For now. That’s…comforting to know. “Do you know why everyone seems to be out for my blood?”

“It’s complicated. Everybody wants your blood for a different reason. Each reason suits their purpose. Ms Pink included. But Ms Pink’s purpose inclines towards the greater good and is less self-serving than the others.”

How reliable is this, coming from a subject loyal only to Ms Pink…

“I have multiple degrees and doctorates from universities all around the world. “I am capable of objective reasoning. I am also capable of discerning right from wrong even though I’m a vampire.”

How did Seo even know what I was thinking about?

“It shows on your face. Quite plainly. I don’t need to be a mind reader to see your thoughts forming on your face.”

I purse my lips. Perhaps it is better to have a mind as empty as a brand new canvas. That way, she won’t be able to—

“I am also able to deduce that you’re considering driving all thoughts from your mind. Let me assure you that your secrets are safe with me. I will not divulge any private thoughts to anyone but Ms Pink.”

Ms Pink? That’s the worst person you can convey my thoughts to…

“Into the car you go. Your school things are already on the back seat. Have a nice day.”

The door closes on me and the car moves off. I can’t see who the driver is in this limo-like car but I still feel safe. It’s Ms Pink’s car after all.

X

It seems a little crazy to be presenting my floral logo design to my little class of fifteen when I’ve been attacked (almost), claimed by a royal vampire, and forced into flying a helicopter at a moment’s notice (to which I’m still thankful for all the time I spent on simulation games). You know you’ve gone through a life-changing experience when a seemingly ordinary activity feels so weird. I mean, there are beasts like Gerant and supernatural beings like the Sovereign and Ms Pink out there yet here we are, discussing how violet might bring out the message better than turquoise would. Everything seems so…trivial. Like who the cares if the petals are viol

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter