Final

Get There Before I Do
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s been more than 50 years since I last saw her. I wonder how she’s doing now.

“Hey there, it’s me. How are you?” I smiled.

“MOM! We were all worried about you.” My son, well adopted son, Jesse, came up to me.

“I know Jess, I’m sorry. I just wanted to see my friend, one last time. Anyways, how’d you find me?” I asked, curiously looking up at my son, who coincidentally really resembles her.

“It’s 2065 mom, of course I have a tracking device on you. I know how mischievous you can be.” He looked at me with those hazel eyes of his that remind me so much of her.

“Well, an old lady like me, can’t keep up with all these advances in technology now can I?” I chuckled, trying to ease the heavy atmosphere that settled on me and my son.

“But, who is this person mom? Why did you want to see her?”

“Her, well she’s Jessica of course. Jessica Jung Sooyeon to be exact.” I smiled.

“I see.”

“Do you want to know her story?” I asked him, and he calmly smiled and took a seat next to me.

~Flashback – 50 years ago~

“YAH IM YOONA!” my ever so lovely best friend yelled while locking me into a headlock.

“Oh hey there Yuri, good morning to you too.” I chuckled, while trying to release her tight grip.

“Don’t hey there Yuri me Yoong. I know what you did last night.” Yuri gave me that smirk of hers that always gets me into trouble or makes me feel embarrassed.

“What did I do this time Yul?”

“Well, a little birdie told me that a certain doe eyed girl and a certain aegyo queen were seen last night at a certain restaurant. So tell me, are you serious with her?”

“Jeez Yuri, how many times do I have to tell you that Sunny is just a friend. And besides if your birdie was really there the whole time, they would have also seen that I left after Taeyeon, Sunny’s GIRLFRIEND, arrived.” I calmly explained.

“Tch, that Sooyoung… getting me all excited for nothing. But seriously Yoong... when are you ever gonna move on. You and Tiffany are done. She broke up with you 2 years ago and moved to Europe. She’s never coming back, so you need to move on.”

“I know, but its hard okay. Tiffany….was the one… well I guess I thought she was the one. But I just… I don’t know Yuri. I just can’t seem to move on from her because she’s the only one I’ve let in my heart.”

“How about blind dates? I have a friend, who is single and ready to mingle.” Yuri smirked. That kind of smirk that told me that I had no choice but to say yes.

“I can’t say no can I?” I teased.

“Yes, here’s the restaurant and the meeting place.” Yuri beamed while giving me a piece of paper with the time and place of the restaurant.

“Oh and don’t be late, she doesn’t have any patience.”

~that night~

I arrived at the restaurant 15 minutes earlier than the note, because knowing Yuri, she probably got the time wrong.

“Hi, I have reservations under Yoona.”

“Ah yes, right this way Miss. Im, your guest is already seated.” The waiter informed me.

Hmm so punctuality is important for her. I like it.

“Your seat ma’am and our menu.”

“Thank you, please give us some time to choose our meal.” I smiled and the waiter nodded and left.

Turning my attention to the person in front of me, I held back a frown, noticing that my “date” is too busy staring at the menu, then to put it down and acknowledge my presence. Is it really too much to say Hi?

“Umm…Hi there Miss…” I trailed off…my mind losing all its ability to function when this gorgeous goddess finally acknowledged my presence.

“Jung. Jessica Jung.” She replied, her voice sounding as cold as ice, and barely sparing me a glance before putting her attention back to the menu.

This girl…is she human or a robot?

“Nice to meet you Jessica-shi, I’m Yoona, Im Yoona.” I replied, but got a simple hmm as a reply.

Yup, confirmed, this girl is a robot…she may be the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen but she’s still a robot, no emotion or manners.

The dinner went on, and not another word came out from mine or Jessica’s lips except for our orders.

“Waiter, our bill please.” I raised my hand and the waiter brought our bill. I paid for both meals, refusing to accept Jessica’s credit card, because this is still technically a “date” and well I’m pretty much the “man” in relationships so of course I had to be a gentleman err gentlewoman.

As Jessica and I walked out of the restaurant her attitude changed 180 degrees.

She suddenly hooked her arm around mine and began to cutely giggle.

“Uhm what are you giggling about?” I asked her, fighting the urge to pinch her cute little nose. But instead of a reply she pinched my side.

“Owwww…”I whined and pouted.

“Oh, I’m sorry babe did that hurt.” She sweetly said while caressing the side she pinched.

Wait what? Did she just call me babe? But why? JUST WHAT IN THE WORLD IS HAPPENING HERE!

“JESSICA! What are you doing!” a man harshly pulled Jessica away from my side.

“Stay away from me Taec!” Jessica yelled while freeing herself from this “Taec” guy and returning to my side.

“No, Jessica you are my girl and you don’t swing this way.” This guy stood his ground, while I just stood there, watching the two.

“WAS, that’s the key word here Taec, I was yours, but you left me for some .” Jessica replied, her voice sounding as if she was about to breakdown any minute now.

“Well now I’m back, so let’s…” this guy began, but I can sense that Jessica didn’t want to and before I knew it my hand shot out like a viper and prevented this guy from touching Jessica again.

“I don’t think she wants to go with you.”

“And who are you to tell me that?” He angrily replied between gritted teeth.

“Her girlfriend that’s who.” I smirked in victory hoping that this guy would leave.

“Oh yeah, like I would believe that.” He laughed out loud.

“Well then I’ll prove it.” I smirked, before turning towards Jessica, cupping her face and landing my lips on hers.

And as if I was transported into a cheesy movie…the cliché happened. Fireworks exploded in my mind and the butterflies in my stomach began to go crazy.

“He’s gone.” She whispered, as we pulled away from our kiss, feeling breathless.

“So mind explaining to me what just happened?” I asked, feeling a little sad to let her out of my arms.

“Only if we meet again.” Jessica teasingly whispered in my ear before leaving me to my own thoughts.

I chuckled and shook my head before walking the opposite way.

Days passed and Jessica and I didn’t see each other at all. Yuri gave me her number, but I never had the courage to ask her out. I wanted to keep playing this “hide and seek” game with her.

Heading to my favorite café before the library had always been a daily thing, but I became so busy with school that I hadn’t had the chance to come in a while. Walking inside the quite café, I smiled as Boa unnie greeted me.

“Hey Yoona! Long time no see.”

“Hey Boa unnie, sorry I’ve been busy with class lately.”

“No worries Yoong, I was just teasing. Here, your mocha, it’s on the house since I know that finals are just around the corner.” Boa unnie smiled.

“Thanks unnie! I promise next time I’ll spend more time in the café.” I turned back and smiled at Boa unnie, but the second I turned my attention, a girl already rammed into me, causing my coffee to spill all over my hand and shirt.

“Ow hot hot hot.”

“Oh my gosh I am so sorry, it’s my fault for not paying attention.” The girl said while wiping my hand with her handkerchief.

“No, no it’s fine. I’m also at fault since I also wasn’t paying attention.” I chuckled.

“Let me buy...” She began lifting her head up and meeting her eyes with mine.

“Oh… we meet again.” I smiled, seeing the shocked look on her face.

“I guess so.”

“Are you ready to tell me what happened that night?”

“Do I have a choice?” she cutely asked me

“Hmmm, well yeah you do, bu”

“Jessica!” That guy suddenly popped out like a weed and held tightly onto Jessica’s arm.

“Taec?! What are you doing here? Are you stalking me?” She glared at him.

“What? No, I just happened to past by, and I saw you. But don’t you think it’s fated for us to be together? I mean two people don’t just coincidentally meet each other again like this unless there’s something bigger that should happen between them.” He calmly explained with a charming smile on his face.

“Look Taec, I…I..” Jessica began to explain herself but I can tell that she was having a really hard time and I really dislike seeing her like that, so I grabbed her arm and dragged her away.

After walking until my feet got tired I finally stopped.

“Jeez, finally you stop. My feet are seriously hurting.” She pouted.

“Sorry..I guess I got a little carried away.” I chuckled, pulling my handkerchief out and wipe the sweat that’s forming on her forehead.

“That’s okay…” She awkwardly replied, trying hard not to look me in the eye, as I kept wiping her sweat away.

“There we are, all clean.” I smiled, but when my eyes met hers, I finally realized how close we were with each other.

“Uhm thanks.” She smiled and took a step back.

“So, want to grab something to eat and tell me the truth?” I asked, and she cutely nodded.

Luckily for us, there was a pizza place across the street so we didn’t have to walk some more since our feet were pretty much killing us from walking so much.

“Table for 2” I told the lady and she led us to an empty table.

“Did you want to get started with some drinks?” She asked.

“Ah, I’ll be fine with lemon water. You?” I asked Jessica.

“Same here.” She smiled, and the waitress nodded and left us to look at the menu. She came back a few minutes later and we decided to just get a medium half cheese half pepperoni pizza. When the pizza arrived it was story time.

“Alright so are you ever going to tell me?” I asked her.

“I thought you might have forgotten since you’ve been stuffing your face.” She chuckled, while leaning over and wiping the stain on my face. I blushed at the contact. I hope she didn’t notice.

“Of course not, I’m just hungry.”

“I can tell.” She cutely chuckled again.

“Okay, well his name is Ok Taecyeon and he was my boyfriend. We’ve been together for about 2 and a half years before he suddenly dumped me for some .”

“Okay that part I kinda figured out from last time. What I want to know is why is he chasing after you when he has a girlfriend?”

“Because he doesn’t like the fact that I’m not his “property” anymore, and because I heard that his of a girlfriend only seduced him because she hated me.” Jessica explained, putting air quotes on the word property.

“I see, so basically your ex is a jerk and a douchebag.” I summarized the story.

“Pretty much yeah.” Jessica said while gazing out the window of the restaurant. I too was gazing, but not at the window, but at the beautiful being in front of me. I was just looking at her while she kept her gaze to the street outside, watching the bustle and hustle of the city. That look in her eyes. I know that look. I also had that look when I saw or thought about a certain someone.

“You still have feelings for him don’t you.” I blurted out, but she slightly nodded her head yes.

“I admit he is a jerk and douchebag for just dumping me like that, but when we were together he was very gentle and considerate. He was a good boyfriend that is until that girl showed up and ruined it all.” She frowned.

“If you still care about him, why don’t you get back together with him?” I asked curious of her answer.

“I..I guess I’m scared that he’ll just hurt me again. I was really lost when he just dumped me out of the blue and it took a while for me finally try and move on, so now that he’s suddenly trying to come back for me… I’m a little lost. That’s partly why I agreed to Yuri setting me up.” She explained.

“I see.”

“I’m sorry if I just dump this on you, it’s weird to tell my love life to a stranger, but I feel comfortable with you Yoona-shi.” She smiled. She must have thought I felt bothered by the story she told me.

“Don’t need to be formal, just call me Yoona. And we’re not strangers, we’re friends.” I smiled.

“Friends? Hmm, I’d like that.” She beamed.

“Good.”

After Jessica finished her story I paid the bill and we left the restaurant.

“How about you?” Jessica suddenly asked while walking back towards Boa unnie’s café where we both left our cars.

“What about me?” I asked her.

“Do you have a significant other?”

“Yeah…once.” I nostalgically said. Reminiscing about my only serious relationship.

“Hmm with the tone of your voice, I’m assuming it was quite serious.” Jessica said.

“It was serious enough that I have a Tiffany and Co. blue box collecting dust in my room.” I forced a smile.

“Oh. So what happened?”

“She broke up with me the night I was planning to propose to her. We were together since high school and it was just the end of 2nd year in college and well I thought she was the one.” I bitterly chuckled at my foolishness to think that Tiffany was the one for me.

“Do you…do you still love her?” She asked.

“I try to say no, but my heart says otherwise.”

“So we’re the same then?” she asked as we reached our cars, which just happened to be parked next to each other on the street.

“Both heartbroken, pretending to be over it, but really not?” I clarify and she nods her head.

“Yup.” I smiled.

“So does this count as a second date?” She asked all of a sudden, while we were both about to enter our cars.

“Why do you say that?” I asked her, a little shocked with her direct question. I thought we were friends, and last I checked friends don’t go on dates. Also I thought she wasn’t over her ex, and she kinda knows how I feel about Tiffany…

“Because you paid for the meal.” She teased.

“Oh, hmm it can be if you want to be.” I back.

“Well if it is, then you’re a very bad date Yoona. Lunch and that’s it?” She playfully said.

“Oh I can do better than that.” I told her.

“Oh really.” She taunted me.

“Tomorrow 6PM, in front of N SeoulTower.” I told her.

“What if I have plans?” She asks.

“Don’t care, I’ll wait.” I said, before I got in my car and drove away.

The next evening I arrived at N Seoul Tower. I waited for her at one of the benches. I checked my watch it was already 7:30 and no signs of her. But I kept waiting. Another hour passed, still nothing. The night was already going bad, but the sudden rain made it worst.

“Are you kidding me?” I asked no one in particular as I tried to shield myself from the rain, but I didn’t run inside or find shelter from the rain like everyone else, I just kept waiting. I don’t know why, but I felt like she would come.

“YOONA! Oh my gosh!” Someone jerked my body awake. I don’t know how, but I must have dozed off.

“You came. I told you I’d wait for you.” I weakly said.

“Yah you idiot. You’re soaking wet!” She scolded me, while lifting her umbrella over my head, shielding me from the rain. But I just kept smiling at her.

“I knew you’d come.” I told her. Before I out.

When I woke up I felt like I had a really bad cold. 

“Ugh.” I groan, trying to clear out my vision.

“You’re finally awake.”

“Jessica? Where am I?” I asked her, still feeling sick.

“You’re at my place. You passed out last night.” She explained. Damn rain, making me sick.

“Oh…I’m sorry.” I apologized.

“You should be, you know Yoona, for a skinny girl like you, you’re pretty heavy. Now here, eat this. You’ve been asleep for almost 12 hours.” She said while placing a tray of soup on my lap.

“Thanks.”

“Yeah it’s no problem. But seriously how stupid are you? Why didn’t you hide from the rain yesterday? Or better yet go home? If I didn’t show up, who knows what would have happened to you.” She scolded me, while I quietly ate the soup.

“I stayed because I knew you would come. I didn’t want to go anywhere and make you think that I didn’t wait for you.” I explained.

“Idiot, you know you could have texted me right?”

“Yeah….but I don’t have your number.”

“Oh right…” She replied, then quickly grabbed her phone, “Here, type your number in.” She ordered.

“Is this your way of getting my number?” I .

“You still have the cheek to tease me right now.” She pouted.

“Aigoo our Jessica is so cute.” I pinched her cheeks.

“Yah, stop it.” She glared at me.

“Okay okay, here.” I gave up and returned her phone after I typed my number in.

“Are you done now?” she asks, while motioning to the empty bowl on my lap.

“Yeah, it was good thanks.” I smiled.

I stayed with Jessica a bit longer before I decided that it was time to go, I haven’t showered and I didn’t want her to think I was unhygienic or something.

“Are you sure you’ll be okay going by yourself? You can stay the night if you want. My little sister is just about the same height as you, so you can borrow her clothes.” She said.

“Don’t worry I’ll be fine. Promise. Besides, I don’t want to over stay my welcome.” I grinned.

“You won’t because we’re friends silly.”

“I know but I also have class tomorrow.”

“Oh you go to university?” her eyes lit up.

“Mhm, I’m about to finish my last semester in business management.”

“Wah! Really? Same here! I go to Seoul National you?”

“I go to Sungkyunkwan university.”

“Heol! You’re really smart then aren’t you.”

“Not really, I just try hard.” I chuckled.

“Alright, I won’t keep you then since you still have class tomorrow.” She smiled.

“Hmm how about tomorrow we meet up at N Seoul tower, 4PM?” I ask her.

“Okay call. Goodnight Yoona.” She grinned.

“Goodnight Jessica.” I playfully ruffled her hair, before I headed towards the cab that was waiting for me outside.

I waved goodbye as the cab drove away. It hasn’t even been 5 minutes but I already miss her. Why is my heart beating like this, why do I feel so comfortable with her. Whatever it is, I like it.

The next evening I arrived at N Seoul tower at exactly 4:45. I was walking around, when I noticed a familiar figure waiting at the same bench I was the other night. She didn’t notice me coming, so the playful side of myself came out, and I decided to sneak up from behind. I made a detour and started to approach her from behind, but as I was walking towards her, she turned her head to the side. And when she did that it was as if time stopped. Beautiful. She was just beautiful. So I just stood there and stared. I don’t know how long I was staring, but it must have been a while, because the alarm on my phone telling me it was past 5PM and that I was late suddenly rang out. Turning the alarm off, I quickly began to walk towards her again, but not without taking a photo of her first.

“Hey there stranger.” I suddenly said, while placing both my hands on her shoulder.

“Omo who…Yah! You scared me.” She playfully hit my arms.

“Hehe sorry.” I showed my aegyo.

“Whatever.” She said and turned her head away from

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter