The Beginning

A Twist of Fate

The Beginning

 

Elegance, etiquette, and people fussing over what you wear, who you date and judging you by your accomplishments. This is the life I have to live. People say I’m extremely lucky to have the life that I’m living, but to be honest, I just want to live a normal life. Act how I want, be with who I want to be with and be able to say what I want. This life is so restricting.

*knock knock*

The sound of door knocks pulled me out of my thoughts.

“Come in.”

“Yunho, why are you not dressed yet? You do know it’s almost 5 o’clock right?” My mother questions as she walks into my room.

“Yeah, yeah. I was just about to get dressed before you walked in.”

“Don’t lie Yunho. It’s tiring. I know you don’t like going to balls but at least do it for your father. Besides, I know a few pretty girls that will be there tonight.” She says as she sits next to me on my bed.

“Mum...really? And I bet they’re just as stuck up as the girls I met the last time I went to a ball.”

“I’m sure you’ll find a nice girl with a good family background. Just give them a chance at least. Also I don’t want you putting on that glum face of yours like you always do. At least try to look like you’re having a good time. You do know everyone is always watching you.”

I roll my eyes and sigh “I can’t promise you but I’ll try.”

“Good. Now get dressed or we’re going to be late.”

I wait for her to leave my room so that I can see what my mother picked out for me to wear tonight. The suit has been sitting there for a couple of days but i was never really interested in what it looked like. Every time mother picks something out for me it always looks good on me. I must admit she does have a good fashion sense.

I start to take off my clothes and then slipped on the suit. It was definitely very comfortable. I walk over to the ceiling to floor length mirror. The suit looked amazing. It was a dark navy Armani suit. It was a suit that complimented my figure. It showed off my long legs and arms. I did up my tie and I stood there and admired it for what seemed like ages until I heard another knock on my door which happen to be my hair stylist.

 


 

The hall in which the ball was held was such a grand sight. Many people I know would die to come to an event like this. I mean who doesn’t want to meet celebrities, fashion designers and models? As I entered through the door way, I could close my eyes and even then I could see everyone’s gaze turn towards me. I barely got halfway through the room before men and woman greeted me and tried to act like they actually know me. It’s so tiring. I’m sick of this fake world where people up to you just to get shares in your family’s business. It’s like they think I can’t see through their plans.

I needed to get away from these people. When they were busy talking amongst themselves I snuck away into the corner of the room away from all the eyes.

My stomach started to ache and I realised that I hadn’t eaten all day. I made my way over to the food table. I reached over to grab the last h’orderve but before I got to it, it was gone. What the hell.

I realised then that there was another arm next to mine. I straightened up and looked at the owner of this arm that stole my h’orderve. I’ve never seen him before. He was extremely good looking. Black hair and pale skin and that suit looked so good on him. I couldn’t let that get to me though. He stole my food.

“Um hi.” I said.

The guy just stood there, ate my food and didn’t respond. What is with this guy? Is he deaf? Maybe he just didn’t hear me properly.

I increased the volume of the voice by a bit.

“Excuse me. You could see I was grabbing for that last h’orderve yet you still took it.”

He turned to and gave me this look as if he just realised I was standing there.

“I’m sorry. It didn’t have your name on it.” He spun and started to walk away.

Are you kidding me?  I thought. That was rude. Who the hell was this guy? Before I could follow him he had disappeared inside the crowd. I walked over to my mother and stayed by her side while she spoke to her friends. I wasn’t even really paying attention to what the conversation was about. Before I knew it the same rude guy was standing on the other side of my mother. I glowered at him and automatically tuned in to what mum was saying.

“....he’s moving in tomorrow. A friend’s son from Japan wanted him to study here but she didn’t want him living alone soI said he can move in with us.”

“Wait. Mum. What? You’re kidding right?”

Mum turned to look at me. “I told you last week honey. You must have been zoned out again. You really need to start paying attention to things.”

Wow. And we just had to get off to a bad start.

“How long will he be staying with us?” I asked my mum.

“Honey, I’m busy at the moment.” She broke away from her conversation and turned to look at the both of us.

“Why don’t you two go outside to the garden and get to know each other? Jae sweety, can you take him?”

I glared at mum. All of a sudden a hand grabbed my wrist and started pulling me towards the side of the hall. Before I knew it, we were making our way around the couples that were dancing. It was ‘Jae’. I yanked my wrist out of his hand as we walked outside the glass doors.

“I can walk there myself thank you very much.”

“Okay. Geez. No need to be so rude.”

“Rude? Are you kidding me? We didn’t even meet and you stole my food, ignored me and then answered me in such a witty way and you say I’m being rude?”

He started to giggle. “Never knew someone as good looking as you could get so cranky over something so little...Listen we got off to a bad start let’s start over yeah? Considering we’re going to be living together for a year.”

His voice. It was so smooth. It really matched his appearance.

“Hmm. You’re right we should start over. Wait...did you say one year?”

He was kidding right? He must be. I’m an only child and to have another person my age living in the same house as me. I’m not sure I’m ready for that.

While I was coming out of my thoughts, I realised he had been staring at me. But his stare was not very welcoming. His eyes were black. I don’t know how to put it but it looked as if his eyes had no life in them. Not a hint of a sparkle or a glint. Just plain, dead, black. It was like he had seen many bad days and never expected anything more.

“My name is Jaejoong. Or Jae for short.” He extended his arm for a handshake. I hesitated, but gave in and extended my own and shook his hand. His hand were really rough. Something that I was not expecting. I wonder what he had done to gain such rough hands. Did he play sports?

 “I don’t know if you know, but not only will I be living with you, but I’ll also be attending the same college as you.”

We didn’t realise we had been still been holding each other’s hands and let go immediately.

“Great. I’m Yunho...”

*Ring ring*

Jaejoong’s phone started to ring. He grabbed it out of his pocket and stared at the screen.

“I’m sorry. I need to take this.”

He answered the phone as he started to walk away and left me standing in the middle of the gardens. I didn’t know how long he would take so I decided to walk back into the hall. It had been an hour or two and still no sign of Jaejoong. I was just about to go look for him when mum said that it was time for us to head home. I grabbed my mum’s arm slightly.

“Mum, i haven’t seen Jaejoong in like two hours.”

“Oh he didn’t tell you. He went to his friend’s house that he’s staying with at the moment. He said he was tired and that he needs to finish organising his stuff for tomorrow.”

He didn’t even tell me. I kind of felt disappointed that he didn’t bother to come find me after the call. Not that I’m that important anyway. Whatever. I was too tired to even begin to start thinking about him. I just wanted to get home and get some rest so I could be a little functional tomorrow at college. 

 

 


Authors Note:

I feel like this chapter is really short...Is it?

I kinda wanted this chapter to end like that sorry.

I don't exactly know how long this story will go for but i don't want to drag it out for too long. Hope you guys enjoy reading this. Please give me feedback as it is my first story and don't really know how things work lol

xx