The End

It Doesn't Work That Way

 

 

Baek Sumin is just another shy girl in school. Too shy to speak up. Too shy to hold her head high. Too shy to give a chance of being in a relationship. Too shy to even confess. To the oh-so-perfect Oh Sehun.

Oh Sehun is one of the well-known students in his school. One of those perfect, flawless guys. Being in a relationship with a beauty from a neighbouring school, namely Jung Soojung. 

Baek Sumin has a liking towards the named guy for over 3 years. Keeping that a secret to the very end, she thought. They were acquaintances. Neighbours. Maybe even friends. And Sumin would like to keep it that way. Nothing more, nothing less.

Baek Sumin and Oh Sehun just finished their finals for their last year of highschool. Few weeks of holidays before going back to school one last time for their Prom Night. The night everyone has waited for. The night Oh Sehun wanted to bring Jung Soojung to. And the night Baek Sumin would love to avoid.

For the few weeks of holidays, Baek Sumin planned to apply for several colleges. Picking the colleges so far away that no one in that college would know her. “It'll be great!”She said to her parents. “I would start anew, in a different environment. I would be motivated to study again! And to make new friends!” She tried to convince her parents. And without her knowing, she tried to convince herself she could change.

For the last few days, she realised that in order for her to move on, she needed to say goodbye to her past. Officially saying goodbye. To her past. To her undying crush.


After few hours of mustering up her courage, Sumin called Oh Sehun to meet at the playground near their houses. She came earlier just in case she got all nervous again.

She paced back and forth, thinking the right words to say to him. To confess to him. Telling him that it's okay to reject her. That's why she wanted to tell him in the first place. 

Sehun arrived minutes later. Exactly at the time they promised, actually.

“Is my watch few minutes late?”He asked Sumin. Sumin looked at him, surprised that he even agreed to meet her. “Ah, no. No, I just came early.” She said, ending it with an awkward laugh.

“ How are you?”Sumin asked. Secretly punishing herself asking the oblivious question. “Oh, I'm good. You?”

“I'm feeling great. Thanks for askking.” Dead silence.

“What about Soojung?”Sumin asked. Sehun had told Sumin about Soojung for few times by now. He couldn't tell anyone about their problems to anyone else, he said. Or else, the person will pass the message to Soojung. That leads to another problem.

Sehun sighed, looking the sky. “We broke up.”He simply asnwered. Sitting on the swing. “For few months by now.”He continued.

Sumin was shock. Not knowing what to say other than “I'm sorry.”

Sehun laughed bitterly. It was noticeable. “Don't say sorry. It's not even your fault. We thought that we're not good enough for each other anyway.”Sumin laughed awkwardly, sitting on the other swing next to Sehun. 

Sehun breathed out heavily, changing the subject to the main topic. “So what did you want to tell me?”Sumin looked at him, confused. He rephrased, “You called me to tell me something. What is it?”

Sumin rememberred the actual reason to call Sehun. Suddenly she had a second thought. She didn't know if it was the right time to tell him. Sehun suggested to just tell him next time but Sumin told him no. It must be that day. Because it's her last day in her town, she thought. She's moving to another town few weeks before her college starts to adapt to her new place. 

She breathed in heavily as she stood up. She faced Sehun, who was still sitting, with a serious face while Sehun looked at her with an expression she couldn't recognise.

“I like you.”Sumin said. Leaving Sehun in shock. His mouth opened a little as if he wanted to say something.

“I asked you to come here in the middle of the night to tell you that I like you. I wanted to tell you this so that you could clearly turn me down. So I can actually say that I'm moving on with my life.”She continued.

Sehun looked her in the eyes. His eyes wander from her right eyes to the left, searching for the actual reason she's telling him this. He stood up abruptly, causing Sumin to step back. Sehun paused for few moments before saying, “Sumin-ah, I.. can't date you.”

Sumin couldn't help but to just smiled bitterly. Without knowing, her eyes were full of tears. She cleared . “Thank you.”She said. “For the past few years. Of being my friend. Of being someone I would love to have by my side. For everything you've done for me. Without you, I might not be able to survive highschool.”She laughed at her exaggeration. But Sehun didn't laugh with her. He just kept staring at her seriously. Maybe even with a broken heart to know that he let a girl cry because of him.

“That's all I wanted to say to you. That's all I wanted to hear. I'm sorry to have wasted your time. I-”Sumin's voice started to crack as she tried to go on. She cleared before saying her goodbye. “I need to go now. We'll see each other next time.”She started walking backwards while waving at Sehun; who still froze on his spot with a blank mind.

Sumin turned around and continue her walk towards her house. Crying heavily yet silently. She wiped all her tears before entering her house, tip-toed, not wanting to wake anyone up at the late hour.


The next morning, after Sumin got ready with everything, she carried her luggages towards the taxi in front of her house. Bidding goodbye to her parents as well as her sisters. Everyone kept themselves from crying endlessly. All smiled brightly. Or at least faking them to restrain themselves from being sad. She entered the taxi, closed the door, waved her family goodbye. Once they're out of her sight, she sighed and leaned on the seat, taking ofher glasses. She thanked herself for having a pair of glasses to hide her puffy eyes. She thanked the driver (mentally) for not saying anything. She thanked everything she has done that made herself today.

Lastly, she thanked Sehun to help her move on from her life. That was all she needed after all.

“Next up, college life.” She whispered to herself with a big proud smile on her face.

 

 

 


-The End-