The Silence Hearts

The Silence Hearts [One-shot]

I looked up at the school building. Old memories came rushing in my mind. I would miss this school. This was where I met my friends. All of them were very precious to me. I remembered the first time I entered the school. I felt really awkward that I could not think straight. When I went inside the class, all eyes were on me. I smiled awkwardly at them and went to sit at the back. I just looked at my desk. I could not look up because I knew they were all staring at me.

I smiled at the memories and put my hands inside my jacket’s pockets. I sighed in content and white clouds formed on the air as I exhaled. I remembered it took me three months to get used to the school, but one thing that I remembered the most was about this guy name Jeongmin. He never talked to me. I did not even know why. I heard that he was scared of me.

When I asked his closed friend why he did not talk to me, he said Jeongmin was shy to talk to me. I asked him why he was shy but his friend said he did not know why. He said I was special. I did not know what he meant.

Jeongmin talked to the other girls but not me! When I tried to talk to him he would either ignored me or walked away from me without a second glance. He could not even meet my eyes with me except if it was a coincidence. I though he hated me. I pouted as I remembered. We never talked, not even once. Even on our graduation we did not talked. I felt sad though because he was my classmate. I turned around to leave the school compound. As soon as I turned, I saw a figure stood in front of me. I could not recognize who he was.

He smiled at me and my eyes widened. I could recognize that smile anywhere, “Jeongmin?” I asked and he nodded his head. My lips automatically smiled.

The next thing we knew we were at a café talking to each other like we were close friends. Even though we never talked to each other before when we were in high school. He turned out to be a successful singer in a group called Boyfriend. When we were in high school he always get scold by our teachers because he always got the lowest marks in our class.

I remembered I saw him so frustrated that he got the last number in our class. He was gazing sadly outside the window like it was the end of the world. Although I never got to tell him face to face but I always stared at him when he did not looked at me and said this famous phrase “failed once, doesn’t mean you fail forever.”

Like he read my mind, he turned his head and looked at me. I looked away before he could catch me staring at him. My cheeks flushed red at that time. I chuckled at the memories and the Jeongmin in front of me looked at me with a confused expression why I suddenly chuckled. I shook my head and motioned him to continue what he was saying. He asked me what I was doing now. Well, I was not a singer like him. I opened a small bakery shop and did some catering service.

He nodded his head in understanding. He looked at his watch and then looked at me. He said he got to go because he got schedules to attend. He pulled back his mask to his face and called the waiter. He paid for the food and then we both went out from the café.

His van already waited for him. He gave me a smiled. I could not see it because he was wearing a mask but I could see it with his eye smiled. He caught me a taxi and opened the door for me. He waved and went to his van. I waved back and with a smiled plastered on my face I asked the driver to drive to my bakery shop.

 

~oOo~

 

A few days later, I was in my bakery shop arranging the breads on the shelf. While my others workers were at the kitchen and mopping the floor. After arranging the bread, I went to the glass door and slipped the card from closed to open. Customers entered one by one and bought breads and cakes. Another sound of the tinkling bell could be heard. I looked up from the cashier and I saw him.

He saw me looking at him and my surprised expression. He smiled at me and then took the tray that my workers had prepared. He chose the breads that he wanted one by one.

I don’t know why but my eyes could not look away from him. All I could see was him. I snapped from my dazed when someone waved their hand in front of me. It was Jeongmin. I started to pack the breads and counted the prices. After I told him the prices, he gave me the money and walked away without a second glanced.

I wonder why I felt so sad though. Did I hope for something more?

At 10pm, it was time to close the bakery shop. My workers left one by one. I was the last to leave. i walked out from the bakery and locked the door.

As I was walking along the street, suddenly someone pressed the honk car. I jumped a bit and looked to the side. The back seats window of the van rolled down. I tilted my head to the side in curiosity. I was surprised to see Jeongmin in the van. “Going home?” He asked. I nodded my head.

“Come. I’ll send you home.” He said. I was hesitated. That was until he opened the door of the van and get out from it for me to enter. He showed his charming smiled which made my heart skip a beat. I bit my lips, holding the nervous feeling inside my heart. He motioned me to go in. I sad thanks to him and went inside the can. The ride was quiet but not awkward. After 15 minutes, we arrived at my house. I said goodbye to him and went inside my house.

In my house, I took a peek outside of my window to see him left my house. I felt a tingling of happiness inside my heart that I could not described. I went up to my room, washed up and went to sleep.

It had been two weeks since we met again but we became closer than even in that short amount of time. When he got some times, he will texted me and we hang out sometimes. Of course he would always wear disguises. He is a celebrity.

I was at my house when I received a letter. It was an acceptance letter to go to the prestigious university in the state. I was so happy to be accepted to the university. Now I could further my study to master. While I was jumping around celebrating my victory I remembered something…

What about Jeongmin?

 

~oOo~

 

A week later I was at the airport waiting for my flight. I looked at my phone. I sent him a message about my acceptance to the university in the state but he didn’t reply to my message yet. I guess he was busy. I sighed when I heard the female speaking through the speakers that the flight would take off in 20 minutes.

I guess I should make my move now. Just when I took a step someone grabbed my wrist. I turned around and saw a guy who was taller than me wearing a cap and a mask. I was about to scream because I thought he was a but I stopped myself when I saw those eyes.

“Jeongmin-ah….” I said his name.

“I’m sorry I didn’t reply to your message.” He apologized and let go of my wrist. I smiled at him.

“It’s okay. I understand. You have tight schedules.” I said.

“Still… I was afraid I was too late to say goodbye.” Jeongmin said and look straight into my eyes.

“Better late than never.” I shrugged.

“I’m serious.” He said. I searched his eyes and I could see he was not joking now.

“Are you… really going?” He asked. I nodded.

“Positive?” He asked. I nodded again.

“Can you… not go?” He asked. I almost nodded my head but stopped.

“What do you mean?” I asked and blinked.

“We just… started our…. friendship and then suddenly you got to go far away.” Jeongmin said. Somehow the word friendship stung me. I don’t know why.

“I got to go Jeongmin. This is the only chance for me to further my study from diploma to master. You know how much I wanted to be a professional chef, right?” I said. He nodded slowly and lowered his head. I looked at my watch. Another 10 minutes and the flight would take off.

“I got to go now Jeongmin. My flight will take off in 10 minutes. I guess I see you again in years.” I held out my hand for a handshake. Tears started to form in my eyes but I held it back. He raised his head and looked at me. I gave him a smile but he came closer to me.

I could not step back. I felt like I was glued to the floor. He held out both of his arms. My eyes widened. What was he going to do?

I closed my eyes but I felt something on my neck. I opened my eyes and I saw Jeongmin in front of me with a small sad smile.

“It fits perfectly.” He said. I looked down to my neck and saw heart shape necklace. I looked up at him and tears welled up in my eyes.

“I hope you won’t forget me. Remember our friendship.” He told me. Tears started to roll down on my cheeks. We shook hands for the last time. We said our goodbyes and went our separate ways.