I Wish I Could Finish Everything I Started

I Wish I Could Finish Everything I Started - Yongguk

Warm tears cut across your cheeks, gathering at the bottom of your chin then dripping off onto your pillow, your hands shook while you held a blanket against you trying to muffle the sounds of your sobs. Feeling your heart shattering into a million pieces slowly, you curled up on your bed and prepared for a long night alone. Darkness seemed to be your only friend, looking up into your dark room once all of your tears had dried and left your cheeks all salty and crusty, you stared up at the ceiling, feeling a little relieved yet hollow inside.

With time, your eyes slowly fell closed letting the morning sunlight approach quicker than when you were awake. Encased in sleep, your mind slowly wondered into dreamland allowing your mind to take over while your body lay motionless in the sheets.

“Yongguk do you want to help with the groceries?” You called once you set the first batch of groceries on the island counter in the kitchen.

“Not really” His monotone voice echoed from the couch.

“Suit yourself” You shrugged your shoulders before going back out to the car and grabbing the last few loads of food, locking your car you headed back inside.

Placing the bags with the others, you slowly started to put the food away while humming a little.

“What should we do today Yonggie?” You questioned with a sing song voice.

“I don’t want to do anything” Yongguk replied, knocking his head back against the pillow leaning against the arm rest of the couch.

“Why not? It is a beautiful day” You continued to place the food away and folded up the paper bags and slipped them under the sink to use later.

“I just don’t feel like doing anything” His voice turned a little irritated as you paused a moment and looked in his direction.

“How about we go and build that hammock, we both wanted to do that for a few months now” You offered knowing sometimes he needed a little push to do some things more than others.

“No” His one word reply caused you to stop looking over the few bags left to see him rest his hand over his chest and watch the screen of the tv.

“Wouldn’t it be fun to do something together? To go relax outside under the stars or to watch the sunset day after day in each others arms?” You tried to persuade him knowing that soon the weather wouldn’t be warm to spend outside like it is now.

“That would be debatable” He sighed

“What is that supposed to mean?” Your voice slightly growled, your eyes snapped over to look at him.

“Well I don’t know if I want to spend every night with you, I may have parties or something to attend” He sat up, turning off the tv and stretching once he stood up.

“So you don’t want to do the hammock?” You blinked away the slight tears that formed in your eyes.

“That is what I have been saying all along” He shuffled over to the kitchen and leaned over the counter looking at the fruit that you were placing into the fruit bowl.

“Why?” Your saddened eyes looked up at him, his fingers took an apple from the basket and slowly worked it in his hands.

“I don’t feel like doing it with you” He stood upright and placed the apple back int he bowl.

“What is going on? I thought we were fine, I thought we were happy in our relationship” You gripped the edge of the counter to try to keep you centered and not become too emotional.

“I think we need some space away from each other. I’m not sure if I wanted to finish what I started with you” His eyes locked with yours, seeing the truth come through his milk chocolate orbs, you felt warm tears fill your eyes.

“Okay then…” You nodded your head, biting your lip to try and hold back your tears a little longer. “I won’t hold you back from what you want to do” Those words stung like vinegar spilling from your lips.

Hearing his socked feet shuffle closer to you, you dropped your eyes seeing the tips of your fingers turning white as you tried to stay put. Yongguk’s, once welcoming and loving lips, pressed against your temple softly, however they felt completely different now, just like a strangers. Listening closely, his feet shuffled away from you and over to the door.

Grabbing a prepacked duffel bag, you lifted your eyes to see it slung over his shoulder and his feet slipping into his shoes. He lifted his jacket off of the hanger and waved to you before exiting through the door. Once the sound of the door closing echoed through your empty apartment, you felt your knees go weak.

You gave him everything, you gave him your all, you thought for sure you guys were going to get married yet the complete opposite happened. Making your way over to the couch, you pulled your knees to your chest as you wasted your day watching dramas and letting your tears roll down your cheeks trying to ease the pressure building inside of your chest.

Warm sunlight begged your eyes to open, rolling over, you rubbed your eyes gently trying to fall back to sleep. Slowly opening your eyes, you were reluctantly facing the empty side of the bed where Yongguk used to sleep. Pushing yourself upright, you slowly turned your head towards the window, thinking back to your dream and how it was identical to how the two of you broke up the day before.

Sighing with the reality that was handed to you, you slipped out of bed and took a warm shower before getting dressed for your day. Keeping busy throughout the day, you tried to keep your mind busy as an attempt to not think of Yongguk. But no matter how hard you tried, you thought about him at least three times a day.

Day after day seemed the same, your dreams reflecting the break up of your beloved boyfriend that you still loved. You didn’t want to go after him, knowing he will come back to you if he still had feelings for you, you slipped out of bed, your pink plaid pajama pants brushed across the floor while you shuffled into the kitchen for some breakfast.

Pouring your favorite morning drink into a mug, you shuffled over to your back patio. Pulling the sliding glass door open, you stepped out onto your covered deck, sitting in your favorite swinging chair moving back and forth you took in the fresh morning air, letting your thoughts drift for a moment or two. Scanning your back yard retreat, something caught your eyes when you noticed something hanging between two trees.

Rising to your feet, you carefully walked across the small path to the two trees, finding Yongguk’s initials etched in the bark of one tree and yours etched in the other, a hammock hung between the two trees. Dropping your eyes gently, your fingers slowly moved over the netting of the hammock, hesitating slightly when you saw a note with a ring on top. Your fingers gently picked up the note and the ring, observing the details on the ring, you felt those all-too-familiar tears swell in your eyes.

Shifting the ring just so, you read the engraving on the inside of the band. Yongguk & _______ forever. Twisting the ring around, you slowly shifted your eyes from his couple ring to yours as you pulled yours off and read what was engraved on the inside, I love you to the moon and back XOXO. your lips gently, you felt your chest tighten slowly.

Tears started to fall from your eyes once you read the handwritten words placed along the center of an index card.

I wish I could finish everything I started…

Feeling your knees weaken, you turned around and carefully eased yourself into the hammock. Willing tears fell from your eyes while your hand grasped both the note and the pair of couple rings in your hand. After a little while, you composed yourself and wiped away your tears sloppily.

Another pair of hands seemed to help brush some tears away causing you to look up.

“Why are you crying, love?” Yongguk tilted his head slightly, his thumbs brushing away the few stray tears that fell from your eyes.

“I-Is it you?” You stammered, your eyes moving along his face taking every little detail.

“It’s me” He nodded his head as his blood shot eyes met up with yours.

“Y-You finished the h-hammock” You couldn’t bring yourself to say anything but that.

“I had to do something to try and win you back” Yongguk’s hand gently moved to your arm as his once cold touch seemed loving and inviting once more.

“You wanted to win me back?” Biting your lip slightly, you anxiously awaited his answer, dropping your head slightly preparing yourself for anything, hopefully.

“Of course I did, these last few days have been killing me” One of his hands cups your cheeks and tilted your head up so he could look into your eyes, “I can’t live without you and I don’t want to try. I love you”

Thinking for a moment on his words, you nodded your head and slowly s your arms around his neck and shoulders. Holding onto him gently at first then tightening your arms around him, his arms wrapped around your waist, allowing his head to nuzzle into your neck.

“Thank you for coming back” You whispered, a few tears rolling down your cheeks, this time out of happiness.

“Shall we try it out and see how well it fits us two?” Yongguk questioned after a long while of staying in each others arms. Nodding your head, he eased himself into the hammock first and opened his arms to you, easing yourself next to him, you rolled into his side fitting his side perfectly with your form.

Laying your arm over his stomach, you felt him take in a deep breath then his breaths were even and slow, curling against his side, you felt his strong arms wrap around you then rub your back slowly.

“Perhaps we can put these back on?” You held out your hand, your fingers slightly curling from a fist revealing his couple ring next to yours. Taking your ring into his hand, he slipped it on your finger as you slipped his down his finger. A smile curled onto both of your lips as you nuzzled your head against his shoulder.

“I’ve missed this” He mumbled, placing a kiss on the crown of your head.

“i have too, I’ve missed you” You confess quietly while your leg gently laid over his.

The birds sang overhead, the slightly rocking of the hammock and the light filtering through the leaves of the trees creating a little slice of paradise with the two of you, not wanting to spend it with anyone else.