Final

Ringmaster's Apprentice

Myungsoo was synonymous to clumsy, and at any given time, he would find himself tripping over thin air or his own feet. He was a laughing stock at his school and only 1 person befriended him out of pity. But his life changed drastically when his father had informed him of their move to Seoul when he scored a job as an assistant director for a circus group that is permanently performing at a theme park.

 

Myungsoo took it in lightly, moving to Seoul wasn't as frightening as the bullies from his high school, plus, he'll get to try going to Seoul's finest universities. So with all his manga and anime collection in tow, he and his small father went to Seoul.

 

Myungsoo's mouth dropped seeing the majestic setup of the Cirque Infinite; one of the longest running Circus in Korea. He was bewildered and amazed as the staff and crew practiced for their performance later. His jaws literally dropped as the members of the flying trapeze practiced their death defying stunts.

 

“Amazing isn't it?” His father asked and the eighteen year old smiled like a kitten and nodded enthusiastically.

 

“Donghae!” They heard a voice calling for his father. “Great to see you again old pal!” The man dressed in casual clothes approached them and shook hands with his father.

 

“yeah Leeteuk hyung. This is my son Myungsoo.” Donghae introduced his son who bowed respectfully at the older man.

 

“Handsome kid you have Hae.” Leeteuk remarked and Myungsoo thanked him for the compliment.

 

The two grownups were exchanging stories when Myungsoo decided to tour the circus on his own. The amazement on his face didn't fade as he witnessed each and every performer practice for their acts later in the evening.

 

As he passed by the center ring, he noticed a young lad with a whip and seemed to be training  3 lions: a male, a female and a cub. Myungsoo sat on one of the chairs surrounding the ring and watched in amazement as the boy instructed the lions to jump from one platform over the other. His smile widened as the lion cub jumped on a large ball and started a balancing act, he noticed that the lad was now laughing as he watched the cub leisurely play with the ball.

 

“Good job Taemin, come here!” He heard the lad call out and the lion cub immediately ran towards him and tackled the lad to the ground.

 

“Oh my!” Myungsoo gapsed and shut his eyes, but heard some chuckles from his side.

 

“He's been with the lions since he was five and Taemin isn't going to hurt his master.” He heard a young lad spoke and then extended a hand. “I'm Sungyeol.” He uttered and Myungsoo took the hand and shook it.

 

“I'm Myungsoo.” He introduced himself shyly and returned his gaze to the center ring.

 

 

“He's my older brother, Sunggyu.” Sungyeol said and Myungsoo nodded.

 

“He looks young.” Myungsoo said and Sungyeol chuckled.

 

“He's a bit over 21 years old and had been the ringmaster since he was 18.” Sungyeol said which made Myungsoo's jaw drop ungracefully.

 

“He is? Wow awesome!” He remarked and Sungyeol motioned for them to approach the center ring.

 

“Hey Hyung!” Sungyeol called out and as soon as the lions heard the voice, they growled angrily and their stances were defensive. “I mean no harm!” Sungyeol shrieked as Sunggyu lashed his whip once and directed his hand towards the cage.

 

The lions immediately stopped growling and walked towards the cage and waited for further instructions. While the crew locked the big cats and pushed them towards the backstage, Sunggyu approached the brother.

 

“I didn't do anything hyung, why are they hating on me?” Sungyeol asked and Sunggyu laughed harmoniously (at least to Myungsoo's ears that is).

 

“Then try not stealing Taemin's toys once in a while.” Sunggyu replied and Sungyeol glared at him.

 

“That was months ago hyung!” Sungyeol said making Sunggyu laugh a little too loud than he should but stopped abruptly when he saw the boy next to his brother.

 

“Oh, this is Myungsoo.” Sungyeol introduced the boy who bowed in respect.

 

“Agenda?” Sunggyu asked, face now serious and if looks could kill, Myungsoo was dead already.

 

“I was accompanying my father, he is new here.” Myungsoo spoke softly.

 

“Donghae nim?” Sungyeol asked and Myungsoo nodded. “Awesome!” Sungyeol was all happy. “Do you remember me?” Sungyeol asked and Myungsoo shook his head.

 

“Sungyeol, don't be silly, you two haven't met each other since you were two years old, how could he remember?” Sunggyu deadpanned which made Sungyeol pout at his brother.

 

“Excuse me?” Myungsoo was confused all of the sudden.

 

“Donghae-nim is our maknae's godfather and you two met at the christening. I was five so I remember the meeting and not the faces.” Sunggyu said then turned to leave.

 

“Hyung where are you going?” Sungyeol shouted.

 

“I need to check on Jinki.” He said with a wave then ran towards the direction where the lion cage was pushed to.

 

“He's an sometimes. You staying?” Sungyeol asked and Myungsoo shrugged his shoulders. “Come on its summer vacation.” Sungyeol insisted so Myungsoo just sighed.

 

“I'll ask my father.” He said and Sungyeol quickly pulled the teen and ran towards their fathers.

 

The pace wasn't even close to fast as they merely jogged towards the control booth when Myungsoo tripped on a couple of wires and his face met the carpeted floor.  Sungyeol stopped and looked at the fallen teen before helping him up on his feet.

 

“You okay?” Sungyeol asked and Myungsoo nodded and resumed to running.

 

When they reached their fathers, Sungyeol was talking in machine gun speed which made it hard for Donghae and Myungsoo to comprehend but they guessed Leeteuk was already used to this kind of speed.

 

“If Donghae agrees then yes we can have him as part time.” Leeteuk responded and Sungyeol turned to Donghae with big doe eyes.

 

“Agree to what?” Donghae asked and Leeteuk enumerated the teens' plans.

 

----

 

Myungsoo's first day was a hell of chaos for the circus staffs because the kid has no sense of balance. Since he was new, he was tasked to distribute towels and water to the regular performers. He started with Sungyeol's group of acrobats, who was amazing in terms of flexibility and agility. He met Hoya and Dongwoo, or most commonly known as Infinite H in the circus, known for their jaw dropping performances with the trapeze and the tight rope.

 

“Why don't you try juggling?” Sungyeol suggested as he handed Myungsoo three balls and stood next to him. “It's easy, just throw one ball in the air then another, catch the other while you throw the third ball. Easy.” Sungyeol demonstrated and Myungsoo was wide eyed at the simple routine.

 

He tried to give it a go but after the fifth try and failing miserably, he resigned himself to handing the towels and water bottles.

 

He then walked across a group of unicyclist and was smiling happily while he watched the group perform tricks while in a unicycle; one was even crossing a tight rope.

 

“Hey cutie” A girl suddenly called and Myungsoo got a fright, causing the water bottles he was holding to drop to the floor.

 

He apologized as he picked up the fallen bottles while the girl chuckled then eventually helped him in the task.

 

“I'm sorry did I scare you?” she asked and Myungsoo nodded. “I'm Taeyon by the way and I lead the girl acrobats.” She said warmly and called the eight other members of the group to introduce themselves.

 

“We go by the name Girls' Generation and we never fail to amaze.” She winked at him, making Myungsoo blush a bit.

 

“Noona!!! Why are you flirting behind my back???” They heard Sungyeol mock whine, making the girls laugh loudly.

 

“See you around Myungsoo!” they waved then resumed their practice.

 

“Hey water boy!” Myungsoo heard and soon, he was on his as a unicyclist whirled past him. “Get some balance will yah?” He heard the boy chuckle and he can't help but glare at him.

 

“I wasn't born with it!” Myungsoo shouted as he picked himself up and started picking the water bottles again.

 

“Don't mind Sungjong, he's a brat.” he heard a man next to him and he recognized him as Dongwoo. “Hey buddy thanks for the water.” He said as he took a bottle then went back to practice with his partner, but not without slapping Myungsoo's once.

 

“Crazy!” Myungsoo muttered to himself as he proceeded with his task.

 

When he was finished, after several failures and a permanent bruise on his cheeks, he rested for while and looked at the chaotic world behind the well organized Cirque Infinite. He smiled as he watched everyone do their best and deep down, he craved to be part of it; the performing part that is.

 

As the gates opened for the night, Myungsoo was overwhelmed with the number of people that was coming for the show. He watched as the seats were quickly taken and soon the lights dimmed to signal the start of the show.

 

If watching the performers during practice was already amazing, watching them perform with costumes was just beyond human comprehension. They were outstanding and Myungsoo found himself amazed with each act. 

 

Infinite H was a daring tandem and they were very athletic and not to mention handsome, to the point that Myungsoo was already drooling when the opening act finished. Girls' Generation performed next and the 9 ladies had captured too many hearts with their amazing acrobatic skills as well as beautiful faces and voices.

 

Sungyeol's group was the fun and quirky act of the whole show as they were there to perform for the kids; who was on their feet as the group juggled and did balancing tricks. Soon before the group bid farewell, the unicyclist joined them and the cheers where loud and roaring. Then came the animal show with the huge elephants, monkeys and even horses. The group was led by a guy named Woohyun and it would have been perfect if not for the grease spilling from the man in question.

 

But the show stopper, and the highlight of the whole circus, was the lion show with Sunggyu. The lights dimmed again and from the ceiling, the steel bars descended and surrounded the center ring. The audience waited in anticipation and when the spotlights lit, three cats were feriociously roaring at them.

 

They held their breath as the king of the jungle showed his fierce eyes as he growled low and loud. Then they heard the sound of a whip and the spotlight shone on the ringmaster. Myungsoo's jaws dropped to the floor as he watched Sunggyu approach the center of the ring. The ringmaster was a walking seduction with his tight black jeans and matching boots (straining a very chunky piece of manhood in Myungsoo's opinion) with his signature red coat and a top hat.

 

Sunggyu smirked as he bowed to the audience and started the show. They held their breath as Sunggyu made the lions do tricks, Taemin happily balancing himself on a ball while the male lion (Who Sunggyu introduced as Jinki) jumped through hoops and fiery rings. Sunggyu had indeed made everyone shocked and petrified with his outstanding tricks with the lions that when he and the lions bowed to end the show, the whole stadium was cheering loudly.

 

“How was it?” Donghae asked as they stepped into the parking lot to drive home after the long day.

 

“Amazing appa!” Myungsoo was beyond happy as he recalled the day (and night) that happened, specifically the part where Sunggyu winked at his direction and made his heart skip a beat.

 

----

 

The next day, Myungsoo found himself trying to ride a unicycle with little luck as he could. And Sungjong wasn't helping as the boy just kept on laughing hysterically at the failure of the older.

 

“I can't do anything right!” Myungsoo shouted frustrated which made Sungjong laugh even more. Myungsoo pulled himself together and puffed his cheeks before walking towards the back part of the stadium.

 

 While he tried to calm down from his surge of anger and hatred, he noticed the ringmaster inside the lion cage, petting the lion's fluffy mane while he sang beautifully. Myungsoo  was caught in a trance as Sunggyu belted out the high notes of the bridge and he knew, that this ringmaster had definitely stole a piece of his unstable teenage heart.

 

“He's good right?” a voice suddenly spoke and Myungsoo shrieked like a teenage girl. “sorry did I startle you?” the boy asked and Myungsoo nodded while taking deep breaths to normalize his heart rate.

 

“Hey Woohyun, what's up?” Sunggyu asked as he approached the two upon hearing the girlish scream.

 

“Oh nothing much, just found novice here.” Woohyun guy said then glanced towards a cage where the elephants were kept. “Oh my, my babies are waiting to be fed.” He stated and quickly dashed towards the humongous elephants, a few meters from the lion cage.

 

“So...” Sunggyu started, eyeing the flustered Myungsoo.

 

“I'm not stalking I promise!” Myungsoo blurted out quickly which made Sunggyu laugh loudly. “I'm sorry, I was just giving up on unicycle.” He added and Sunggyu looked at him with a gentle smile.

 

“I figured, no one's ever going to pass Sungjong's litany.” Sunggyu said then offered Myungsoo to walk out the back and towards the open parking lot.

 

The walk was awkwardly silent and Myungsoo was already blushing way too much for comfort that Sunggyu thought that the younger was sick. As Sunggyu brought his hand and placed his palm on Myungsoo's forehead, he felt the heat and rushed Myungsoo to lay down on the couch inside his dressing room.

 

“Have you overworked yourself?” Sunggyu asked and Myungsoo quickly shook his head. “Do you need anything?” Sunggyu inquired and Myungsoo shook his head again but his stomach growled hungrily which made Sunggyu laugh melodiously (lie a choir of angels if you ask Myungsoo).

 

“Wait here, I’ll get some food.” Sunggyu said and soon dashed out of the room.

 

Myungsoo looked at the room and sighed, he was turning into a love sick kitten and that wasn't acceptable, knowing that it was only his second time meeting the ringmaster (and the meeting when they were kids doesn't count). He stood from the couch and looked at the room when he noticed the picture on the mirror. He looked at it and saw people posing under the circus label.

 

“Is it interesting?” He heard Sunggyu and he let out another girly shriek and threw the photograph into the air, Sunggyu catching it on reflex.

 

“Please hyung don't scare me!” Myungsoo said, trying to calm his pounding heart.

 

“Sorry, have a seat and eat.” Sunggyu pulled him towards the couch and gave him a bento.

 

Myungsoo thanked him and dug in hungrily, while Sunggyu watched in amusement. “Do I have something on my face hyung?” he asked and Sunggyu shook his head while smiling. He continued to eat while Sunggyu watched, amused at the appetite of the younger.

 

When Myungsoo was done with the bento, he tutned to Sunggyu and bowed in respect and gratefulness. He knew that what he'd done in the last hour was completely embarassing yet somehow, he 2as glad it was Sunggyu who witnessed it.

 

"Thank you very much hyung." Myungsoo uttered and Su ggyu pet the younger's raven hair while smiling sweetly.

 

...

 

A week into his part time job at the circus, he accidentally drenched Sungjong with soap water that he was supposed to use to clean the center ring. Althoigh he had tried to apologize to thr brat, Sungjong was fuming with anger.

 

"If you want my forgiveness then clean the lion cage. I want it spotless!" Sungjong shouted then stomped off towards his dressing room to change.

 

Myungsoo took a nervous gulp while he broke out in cold sweat. The lion cage isn't the easiest task to clean maybe because they are freaking man eaters and a chunky teenage boy would be the appetizer. Yet he really wanted to show Sungjong that he really wanted to apologize so he took the bucket and brushes then headed towards the animal cages.

 

His grip on the broom tightened as he stopped in front of the lion cage while his hand trembled as he inserted the key on the cage lock. He then took a deep breath and stepped inside the cage, praying that the lions were asleep and they won't notice his presence. But as he turned around to start cleaning, the lion cub was already in the air and landed on him as he was tackled to the ground; and he let out yet another girly shriek.

 

"What the..." Sunggyu uttered as he heard the scream from his dressing room. He then walked out and then met Sungyeol who explained what their evil maknae made Myungsoo do.

 

"And no one even stopped him?" Sunggyu gritted his teeth as he ran towards the cage.

 

While everyone worried for the life of the clumsy novice, they didn't expect to find him giggling while the cub his face adoringly. But once he felt the presence of other people, he growled loudly which made everyone stiff.

 

"I'll handle this. Everyone out!" Sunggyu commanded and everyone dispersed to follow the ringmaster.

 

Once everyone is out, Sunggyu smiled at the cub that stopped growling and sat on the ground, waiting for his master. Sunggyu entered the cage and whistled making the cub ran towards him and jump enthusiastically, Sunggyu laughed loudly.

 

"Taemin ah, are you playing with Myungsoo?" Sunggyu asked and the cub purred lovingly as Sunggyu pet him. He then eyed Myungsoo who was dusting off his pants and then ordered him to come closer.

 

"Are you okay?" Sunggyu asked and Myungsoo nodded.

 

"Just surprised when he leaped onto me, I wasn't expecting it." Myungsoo confessed and Sunggyu nodded.

 

"The liins are very choosy with people but i guess they like you. Tight taemin?" Sunggyu uttered and Taemin immediately rub his head on the back of Myungsoo's hand.

 

"Pet him." Sunggyu instructed and Myungsoo ran his hand on the silky fur of the lion cub, making him smile in content. "Let's meet his parents. Jinki! Junghee!" Sunggyu called out and the two mature lions walked gracefully towards them and stopped a few feet before Sunggyu extended a hand. "Jinki Junghee, this is Myungsoo." He said as introduction. "And the alpha is Jinki, he's been with me since I was 15. His mate is Junghee, she's from another circus and we tried to mate them. Yet Junghee never wanted to leave Jinki's side." Sunggyu uttered and Myungsoo was confused.

 

"Her owners let her stay?" Myungsoo asked and Sunggyu nodded.

 

"We have to give up their first brood though. But Junghee wanted to stay so what else can we do about it. It seems that they love each other too much." Sunggyu laughed at how cheesy that sounded.

 

"That was too cute! They even have a love story." Myungsoo cooed and Sunggyu was definitely spell bound at how adorable Myungsoo was cooing at that simple thought of the lions mating.

 

"Ah Taemin!" Myungsoo shouted, and broke Sunggyu's train of thoughts and watched as the cub played chase with the young lad.

 

And then it him like light bulb moment. He smiled and called Taemin over before motioning for Myungsoo as well. He then flashed a blinding smile and proposed something to the lad. "Want to be my apprentice?" Sunggyu asked which confused Myungsoo. "I mean, would you like to help me take care of Taemin?" Sunggyu clarified and soon a wide smile appeared on Myungsoo's face and he eventually flung himself towards Sunggyu and enveloped him in a tight hug.

 

"Thank you hyung!!! I'd love to!!!" Myungsoo exclaimed happily and the cub happily growled beside them. "Sorry, I got too excited." Myungsoo uttered as he blushed, realizing how embarrassing just what he had done.

 

"Oh it's okay... uhm shall we start?" Sunggyu uttered and led him towards the three lions and gave him pointers on how to train them.

 

Taemin was quickly attached to the apprentice and perhaps Sunggyu will eventually entrust the cub to him in a few months or so. Myungsoo was enjoying the work because even if he was as clumsy as hell, Sunggyu and the three lions were forgiving.

 

They were soon trying new tricks for Taemin when the cub jumped on Myungsoo's back and balanced himself on Myungsoo's shoulders. The massive cat wasn't exactly light but manageable at the very least. "Hold still!" Sunggyu called out and soon threw a stick towards Taemin and the lion grabbed it with his mouth with ease. "Great! Can you sustain this Myung?" Su ggyu asked and the lad nodded.

 

"For ten seconds hyung nothing more!" He replied and soon Taemin jumped down from Myungsoo and demanded him for a petting on his head. "You are such an attention Taeminnie." Myungsoo uttered while half laughing.

 

"Jinki!" Sunggyu uttered and the lion was on his four feet. "Myungsoo want to have a ride?" Sunggyu asked and pulled the apprentice and made him ride the alpha lion.

 

Jinki growled a bit then started walking slowly, and it took Myungsoo a good 15 seconds before the actual act registered to him. He then screamed happily and beamed a happy smile towards Sunggyu.

 

Myungsoo was nervous as his first appearance drew near; it was nerve racking but when he felt Sunggyu's hands on his shoulders, he relaxed a bit and smiled back at the ring master.

 

Despite being a tad bit clumsy, Myungsoo's first ever performance went well a d they still received lots of applauses. And so the two shared a tight embrace backstage and their smiles were through the roof. In the heat of the moment, Sunggyu took out his necklace and then placed it around Myungsoo's neck. The younger blinked in confusion but Sunggyu regarded it as his congratulatory gift for his first performance. Myungsoo admired the silver ring that served as the pendant  and then beamed a smile towards the ringmaster. "Thank you hyung!" Myungsoo uttered which made Sunggyu's heart swell with so much happiness. Because he felt that his voice could betray him, so he just ruffled the raven hair of the younger instead.

 

But the summer vacation was short lived and Myungsoo could only drop by during weekends. Sunggyu badly missed the apprentice and it surely reflected in his actions. Most of the tinms, he would just sit next to the lions and sigh countless of times. Jinki would lay his fluffy head on the ringmaster's lap and looked up at him with inquiring eyes.

 

"I don't know Jinki, am I in love?" Sunggyu asked the cat who purred. "You are not helping Jinki!" Sunggyu reprimanded the lion who growled. "I hope so too." Sunggyu replied and chuckled to himself as soon as the words escaped his mouth.

 

By Christmas break, Myungsoo spent it with the circus and Sunggyu was the happiest among them because it has been too long for him and he missed the lad more than anything in this world. But there were no time for relaxing as the winter break meant jam packed performance schedules plus the weather makes it twice as hard to train.

 

Junghee was agitated come winter and it took a toll on not only Jinki but also Sunggyu until the veterinarian confirmed that the lioness was pregnant. Sunggyu hugged the lion and was happy for his friend who will be a father again. And Myungsoo retreated to petting Taemin and reminding him that he'll be a hyung soon.

 

Come the New Year's show, Sunggyu announced the absence of the expecting mother-to-be lioness and that they'll work hard to still give an entertaining show for them. They did not disappoint and still, thunderous applauses were given to them.

 

It was a happy New Year.

 

But as soon as Myungsoo graduated high school, he had rarely visited the circus much to Sunggyu's displeasure. Junghee was nearing her labor and Sunggyu was panicking way more than Jinki should have and he's not even the father. By Sunggyu's birthday, Junghee gave birth to two cubs, a girl and a boy which they named Gwiboon and Minho respectively. Sunggyu welcomed the gifts and was soon happily celebrating the night away.

 

"Jinki-ah, congratulations." Sunggyu uttered and the lion purred happily on Sunggyu's lap. Sunggyu sighed after, aware that he has such a small chance with Myungsoo who didn't even come nor greet him on his birthday.

 

He understood though, that Myungsoo had dreams to pursue and perhaps, a lowly ringmaster wasn't part of his future. Sunggyu held in the tears, he should be happy on his birthday. "Sunggyu hyung!" Myungsoo called out as he entered the lion cage. "Happy birthday!" He uttered as he sat down next to the ringmaster, Taemin instantly resting his head on the apprentice's lap.

 

"Thanks." Sunggyu replied.

 

"Hyung, I am returning this to you." Myungsoo removed the necklace with the silver band and handed it to Sunggyu. "I think that is very symbolic, I can't take it." Myungsoo explained and Sunggyu nodded as he took the necklace from the apprentice.

 

"It's already late Myungsoo , you should go back.." Sunggyu uttered as he gave Jinki's furry mane a gentle rub. Myungsoo was confused for a second but figured that maybe, Sunggyu was just tired. Myungsoo bowed then left since he still needed to study for a quiz the next day.

 

He fell on his back and soon hot tears escaped from his eyes; He never knew how painful it was as he received the blow. He let out the painful wails and clutched the cloth of his shirt. Maybe now is the perfect time to give up. Amidst the tears, Sunggyu felt Jinki's head near his hand and he instinctively ran a hand through the thick mane. "I'm sorry Jinki, I'm spoiling the congratulatory atmosphere.” He uttered then heard the lion whine.

 

...

 

When summer break rolled in, Myungsoo was back in Cirque Infinite to resume his apprenticeship with the ringmaster. But it surprised him to watch the once carefree lad looked too serious and wasn't having fun anymore.

 

"Maybe the pressure of inheriting the circus is getting to him." Subgyeol commented, sighing as he missed the once youthful aura that surrounded his brother.

 

"Oh he is?" Myungsoo was clueless and he felt a little too guilty for not being able to help his ringmaster.

 

He excused himself and approached Sunggyu and flashed a warm smile. Yet Sunggyu merely nodded and then instructed the keepers to lock the lions as he was not feeling well. He walked towards his dressing room and Myungsoo was following him like a puppy.

 

"I need to rest Myungsoo." Sunggyu said, his voice void of emotions, and Myungsoo nodded then let the older be.

 

It was unreal to him and he felt that there's something wrong about how things were going but he can't seem to point a finger at it. He shook the feelings away as he headed towards the cage and entered it to be greeted by a larger Taemin and two adorable cubs. Myungsoo momentarily forgot what he was over thinking about and played with the big cats.

 

Myungsoo was sure that Sunggyu was avoiding him when the 3rd day of summer break rolled in and Sunggyu called in sick but will make it for the show later. Myungsoo sighed as he practiced the lions for their routine and kept them happy and fed. The moment Sunggyu step foot in the venue, Myungsoo was eager to talk to him. But the ringmaster managed to evade him and Myungsoo was left pouting (adorably, if Sunggyu was allowed to remarked).

 

"Do you need anything hyung? Want some water? Are you tired?" Myungsoo asked after the performance which irritated Sunggyu but kept his cool.

 

"I'd like to rest now Myungsoo." Sunggyu uttered and locked himself inside his room.

 

"Okay hyung, if you need anything, you can ask me!" He informed the older but Sunggyu never gave his reply.

 

Myungsoo was tending to the cubs when he saw a silver band dangling from Junghee's neck. He took a good look of the silver and his eyes went wide as he read the engraved words Jinki, alpha lion; it felt familiar.

 

"Woohyun hyung!" Myungsoo called out.

 

"Yeah?" The older replied while he tended to the elephants.

 

"The ring on Junghee's neck.." He started and Woohyun smiled at him.

 

"It was Jinki's" Woohyun answered. "Jinki received it when he was officially instated as Sunggyu's lion. Sunggyu had the same ring with his name engraved on it." Woohyun answered.

 

"Why is she wearing it?" Myungsoo asked.

 

"You can take it as a wedding ring. When they mated, Sunggyu decided that Junghee deserved something as important to Jinki to be given to her as a sign of their fidelity. Sunggyu is a romanticist sometimes." Woohyun chuckled at the memory.

 

"Oh." Was all Myungsoo could manage.

 

...

 

Myungsoo found Sunggyu seated inside the cage with a feeding bottle at hand and a cub on his lap as he fed the cub some milk. The cub's twin was getting impatient for his feed that he decided to help out. He sat next to Sunggyu and took the other cub and a feeding bottle before feeding the cub that the bottle hungrily.

 

It was silent as they allowed the cubs to finish the bottles. Jinki and Junghee then approached them and took the now sleeping cubs in their mouths and carried them towards their little den by the far side of the cage. It was all but silent when Sunggyu decided to leave first.

 

“Sunggyu hyung, please tell me what’s wrong. You’ve been avoiding me.” Myungsoo uttered, grabbing the ringmaster’s hand to stop him from leaving. “Have I done something wrong? Please tell so that I could correct my mistakes.” Myungsoo added that left Sunggyu sighing.

 

“It’s a problem I must solve myself.” Sunggyu uttered and tried to leave.

 

“Please hyung, let me help you.” Myungsoo uttered as he held the hand firmly.

 

“You can’t Myungsoo, please let me handle it myself.” Sunggyu replied.

 

“Is it about the ring?” Myungsoo suddenly said and Sunggyu can’t help but feel the hot tears forming on the side of his eyes.

 

“It’s a worthless piece of metal Myungsoo.” Sunggyu replied.

 

“It’s not hyung, it symbolizes your status as Jinki’s master.” Myungsoo argued. “And you should give it to your future partner… oh…” Myungsoo was caught by a sudden realization and it made him loosen the grip on the elder’s wrist.

 

“So you knew its importance then?” Sunggyu asked and Myungsoo nodded slowly.

 

“You never told me hyung..” Myungsoo said in his defense.

 

“Because I assumed that you’ll realize it. I am stupid to believe that you would and now it’s my problem to face such painful rejection. It’s my fault I didn’t tell you, it’s my fault because I am stupid. It’s all my fault Myungsoo so let me deal with it my way.” Sunggyu  said, now tears falling from his eyes. “Please, just let me be.” Sunggyu said then walked out of the cage, leaving a dumbfounded apprentice.

 

Myungsoo wanted to respect Sunggyu’s wishes yet how could he when he was feeling guilty for breaking the ringmaster’s heart? And one more thing, it ached to be far from Sunggyu when his heart was selfishly craving for the man like a lion to his mate.

 

He sulked each day, as Sunggyu decided that seeing him, was the hardest obstacle in his life, and by the end of the summer break, they were both hurting and broken.

 

 

When winter break rolled in, Myungsoo stepped foot on the circus again and was greeted by a nagging Sungjong. “You are pissing me off novice!” The brat on unicycle shouted. “You two are the dumbest couple in the entire face of the planet!” He added.

 

“I am not in the mood to hear your litany Sungjong.” Myungsoo grumbled, he didn’t any more reminder of how pitiful his love life was at the moment.

 

“But you should because I decided to freaking help you.” Sungjong said as he went down his unicycle.

 

“Why?” Myungsoo instantaneously replied.

 

“Why? Because Sunggyu is my brother and I don’t want him to kill himself by locking himself inside the lion cage and barely eating anything.” Sungjong uttered.

 

“He’s what?” Myungsoo was enraged, is this how Sunggyu dealt with his problems?
 

“I will not repeat myself. Anyway, just listen carefully and I’ll end both of your suffering.” Sungjong smirked and Myungsoo was all ears.

 

Myungsoo did not show himself on the first week of Winter break; or rather, Sunggyu was locking himself from everyone to notice the presence of the apprentice. He just knew of Myungsoo’s presence when Sungyeol told him about the winter break. Sunggyu nodded once and then left the group who was happily planning some night out on Christmas after their performance.

 

Sunggyu entered the lion cage and sat on an empty space when Jinki lied next to him. He ran a hand down the lion’s mane and a smile appeared on his face. “I’m getting there Jinki, eventually, it’ll stop hurting.” He uttered and the lion purred and closed his eyes. “How’s being a father Jinki? You sure have quite a bunch.” Sunggyu uttered and Jinki whined a bit as they heard the three younger lions growl; more of the twin cubs playing and Taemin trying to control them.

 

“Oh hi Hyung.” Both the ringmaster and the lion turned their heads and Jinki instinctively stood and walked towards the cubs to silence them. “Can I sit beside you?” Myungsoo asked but Sunggyu just shrugged his shoulders and turned his attention towards the lions.

 

The silence was unbearable for Myungsoo so he grabbed Sunggyu by the shoulders and made him look at him. But Sunggyu looked down; tears already dripping from his eyes and Myungsoo’s heart broke too much at the sight of the strong ring leader now helpless and crying.

 

“Please hyung, let me help you.” Myungsoo uttered, begged even but Sunggyu shook his head in defiance. “Please hyung…” Myungsoo repeated but Sungyu was stern. HE was forced to lift the elder’s chin with his hand and made him face him, eyes making contact and both hearts beating fast. Myungsoo then closed the gap and their lips met briefly, only for Sunggyu to push the younger away.

 

“I want to forget Myungsoo.” He said then stood to leave.

 

“But I don’t” Myungsoo argued, pulling the older and embracing him tightly. He then let go and placed something on Sunggyu’s palms. “Please hyung, don’t give up on me.” Myungsoo pleaded and Sunggyu took the metal on his palm and inspected it closely.

 

Kim Myungsoo, Apprentice

 

Sunggyu’s eyes went wide as he darted his gaze to Myungsoo who was holding out his left hand where a familiar ring was already placed on his ring finger. Myungsoo then took the ring from Sunggyu and inserted it on the ring master’s left ring finger.

 

“Why?” Sunggyu asked and Myungsoo smiled happily and kissed him on the cheeks.

 

“I am now officially appointed as your apprentice and will train Taemin!” Myungsoo blurted out, the lion ran towards them and proudly showed the ring dangling on his neck.

 

Sunggyu suddenly laughed as he wiped the sadness off of his face and embraced Myungsoo tightly. “What about your studies Myungsoo?” Sunggyu inquired and Myungsoo grinned at him.

 

“I still am going to school but I passed enough placement exams to reduce the length to 2 and a half years instead of 4. I’ll be graduating in a year hyung.” He said and Sunggyu’s smile widened.

 

“Well, let’s not waste any second then apprentice.” Sunggyu dragged Myungsoo towards the twin cubs and took one and handed it to Myungsoo. “We have a pride to train.” Sunggyu giggled as he played with the other cub before Jinki joining along.

 

 Taemin wanted to jump on Myungsoo’s back but a full grown lion was too heavy for the teen so he just resorted to tackling Myungsoo and the side of his face while Minho tried to chew his shoes.

 

“Yah!” Myungsoo shouted as he pushed Taemin off of him and grabbed Minho and threw him lightly in the air before catching him again then placing him down on the ground; the younger cub then joined his brother in running away from the trainer.

 

“You are in big trouble buddy!” Myungsoo shouted as he chased the two lions around the cage. Taemin ran fast with Minho trailing behind him, but Myungsoo wanted to show him who’s the boss. “Hyung!!!!!” He suddenly called out as Taemin mischievously ran towards Sunggyu’s direction and clumsy Myungsoo bumped into him.  But Sunggyu just laughed as he wrapped his arms around the younger’s waist and placed a kiss on his forehead.

 

“Thank you Myungsoo.” He uttered and Myungsoo’s lips curve into a smile and kissed the ringmaster on his lips.

 

“I love you Sunggyu hyung.” He uttered and Sunggyu blushed as he replied with a kiss and a heartfelt I love you too.

 

The lions then gathered around them and lied next to them, Sunggyu happily smiling at Jinki who had Junghee snuggled on his fluffy mane while Taemin had his head resting on Myungsoo and Sunggyu’s legs and the cubs happily snuggling on their sides.

 

------

 

a/n: Okay.. this is roughly 6k words ( I guess that it’s too long and too boring) anyway I hope you will like this story and sorry if the lions had a bit more spotlight than the other Infinite members. And crappy ending ~ I can’t seem to write decent fluffy endings so forgive me.