final.

When You Smile, The Sun Shines

Jongin didn't know why did he agree to babysit his nephew, Manse, when obviously, he had better things to get done. Probably because he is just a nice young man who doesn't know how to turn his sister down. The very next day, Jongin found himself in the kitchen, bottle in his hand, trying to figure out how to actually make a milk. The instructions were not helping at all. No, he is not dumb. He is just too cool for this , yup.

"Birds!" Manse chirped, pointing outside the window. His eyes were fixed on the scenery outside where the birds were resting on the branch, singing melodiously. Jongin sighed and laid down the couch lazily. The two year-old kid could just spend his day watching the birds. It's not like Jongin mind. 

As Jongin was trying to get some sleep after the staying up to catch up with the 'My Lovely Girl' drama that he missed out—thanks to college—Manse pulled Jongin's dark locks. "Nini hyung, out!" he said.

"Manse, no. Hyung is tired. Let's stay here, yeah?" Jongin replied as he sat up, trying to stop Manse from pulling his hair. Manse pouted and sat down on the floor, eyes flooding with tears. Jongin gulped and before Manse could even let out a cry, Jongin quickly changed his mind and brought Manse out. 

Jongin is surely bad at kids. He doesn't even bother to learn as he planned to send his kids to the daycare. "Daycare were built for a reason!" Jongin stated.

 

"Nini hyung!" Manse tugged the older's arm and pointed at the ice cream parlor. Jongin sighed and let manse dragged him to there. "Hyung, up up!" Manse grinned widely and made grabby hands, asking for a lift so that he would have a better view of the ice cream flavours. After a few minutes of thinking, Manse finally made his mind to just settle with vanilla.

They walked around the park with Manse bouncing up and down at the smallest thing such as butterflies, flowers and he even ran after a dog. Jongin made a mental note to talk with his sister about this. This Manse guy should be tame. 

"CANDIES!" Manse screamed in joy as he spotted a candy shop. He turned away to look for his Nini hyung and found the said man walking slowly towards him, hands in the pocket. Without waiting for Jongin, Manse waddled his way in the shop. He was in awe as he saw lots and lots of candies. They even had a jar of spongebob candies! 

Jongin frowned slightly as he walked in the shop. He spent too much already and he was so not going to eat ramens for the upcoming days. "Manse." He called and gently grabbed the boy's arm. "Candies are bad for your teeth. Mummy told me to not buy you candies when she is gone." It was not a lie because his sister did say that before leaving Manse under his care. 

The boy furrowed his eyebrows. "But candies!" 

"No." Jongin replied rather too quickly for Manse's liking. "Let's go home. Hyung is tired." Jongin's eyes widened as Manse let out a loud cry and sat on the floor. The last thing Jongin wanted to happen was dealing with a crying Manse as it will definitely gain attention from everyone and Jongin dislikes attention. 

Jongin panicked and he tried to pull the boy up but failed as Manse's crying got louder. "Candies!" He shouted, kicking Jongin with his chubby legs. Jongin frowned, this is the last time he is going to babysit this brat.

Before Jongin could even reply, a guy came to Manse, holding a lollipop with a big grin plastered on his face. He crouched down and waved the lollipop in the air. "Do you want lollipop, little one?" 

Manse immediately stopped crying and wiped his tears on his cheeks with his fist and nodded at the stranger. Jongin was too stunned to even stop Manse from getting the lollipop from the guy because he might be a kidnapper, who knows? But, he is too cute to be a kidnapper, Jongin thought.

The guy whole-heartedly gave Manse the lollipop and carried Manse in his arms. "Do you want hyung to open it for you?"

"Yes!" Manse nodded excitedly. It's so easy to please this kid, Jongin realized. 

 

Jongin felt betrayed. Manse kept on clinging on the guy whom they've only met an hour ago. That guy only gave him a lollipop while Jongin, on the other side, spent half of his pocket money just for Manse. "Ungrateful kid." Jongin muttered bitterly.

"Hey." The stranger looked at him with a small smile on. "I hope you don't mind me giving your brother—"

"Nephew." Jongin corrected and the guy gave him a nod.

"—nephew a lollipop back in the store. I am not a kidnapper or anything, I swear! I saw you were having troubles with him so I decided to step in and gave a help." The guy mumbled the last part and looked at Manse who was playing with the other kids at the playground.

Jongin chuckled. "I don't mind really. It was nice to have someone helping me out." 

"Oh, that's good then! My name is Kyungsoo. Do Kyungsoo." The Kyungsoo guy threw a big grin. Jongin could feel butterflies having a tea cup party in his stomach. 

"Kim Jongin." Jongin nodded, his lips curved into a small smile. "Thank you. For, you know, helping me." He brought his hand up to his nape and rubbed it awkwardly. Ugh, why is he so ing awkward when it comes to cute guys? 

The Kyungsoo guy smiled sweetly this time and Jongin tried his hardest to not coo at the cute sight because Kyungsoo might be creeped out. "You're welcome. Like I said, I just wanted to help. I can see you hate attention that you were getting that time."

"Yeah." Jongin stated and fished his phone out from his pocket and checked the time. "Oh . It's late!" He said and ran to get Manse because it's 5 in the evening and Manse hasn't took a bath. He tried to persuade the kid but Manse protested and even threw sands at the poor guy. "Manse we are late!" Jongin said in a despaiting tone.

Kyungsoo, who was watching from afar, laughed and decided to help Jongin again. "Manse-ah!" Kyungsoo called out and the said boy ran quickly to Kyungsoo and hugged his leg, trying to hide from Jongin. Kyungsoo chuckled and bent down to carry Manse in his arms. "Hey, let's go home, buddy." Kyungsoo said with a sweet smile plastered on his face and Manse let out a giggle before nodding. "Home home!" 

Jongin sighed and pouted slightly. "This is unfair. I am his uncle yet he prefers you more than me!" He said and walked beside Kyungsoo with his arms crossed on his chest which made Kyungsoo laughed at his childishness.

"You look grumpy all the time. I think you scare him!" Kyungsoo said, hands patting Manse's bum as the baby slowly dozing off on his shoulder. 

"I DON'T LOOK GRUMPY ALL THE TIME!" Jongin denied, pouting even more this time and Kyungsoo decided to just laugh it off.

 

"Manse, do not splash the water at me!" Jongin yelled, a towel covering his face to prevent himself getting wet. The little kid giggled at Jongin's reaction and felt more encouraged to do so. Jongin quickly ran out from the bathroom to save his own life.

Kyungsoo who was in the kitchen, ran to the bathroom with a worried expression. His worries faded away as he saw a wet Jongin standing by the door, looking ever so hopeless. "What's wrong?" He asked with a small smile. 

Jongin glared as he saw Kyungsoo's lips twitched to a smile. Kyungsoo hold his hands up defensively. "It's Manse and his bratty attitude. He was asleep a while ago and now, he is spalshing the water everywhere." Jongin sighed. "Now, I am all drenched." 

"I see." Kyungsoo nodded. "I'll bathe him while you go and make his dinner, yeah?" He shoved the bottle in Jongin's hands. "Try to not burn anything!" He reminded Jongin before turning his heels to the bathroom.

Manse giggled as he saw Kyungsoo coming to his way. He splashed the water towards Kyungsoo joyfully. Unlike Jongin, Kyungsoo couldn't care less and laughed along. "I see that you're having fun, buddy." He said, standing beside the tub while pouring a good amount of shampoo on his palm.

"Yes!" Manse chirped, stopping his actions immediately as Kyungsoo gave him a rubber duck toy. "Duck duck!" He gurgled and played with it while Kyungsoo shampooed his hair. Well, that was not hard, Kyungsoo thought. Kyungsoo believes that Jongin just when it comes to kids. Or, he is too good with kids. 

A few minutes later, Kyungsoo managed to get the little kid out from the tub safely and dried him up with a towel. Manse's eyes were dropping by the time Kyungsoo wrapped him in a towel and carried him to the living room. "Jongin." Kyungsoo called out, bouncing Manse slightly in his arms. "Where do you put his stuffs?" 

Jongin, who was eating in the kitchen, yelled out 'bedroom!' in return. 

"It's time to dress you up, buddy." Kyungsoo whispered softly as he laid Manse down on the bed, rumagging the baby's bag. Manse whined softly and rolled on his tummy, fists gripping on the sheets, refusing to cooperate with Kyungsoo due to the sleepiness. Somehow, Kyungsoo also succeded to dress Manse up despite his stubborness. 

Kyungsoo carried the sleeping baby in his arms while he walked to the kitchen. "You're done?" Jongin asked in surprise. "That's fast." 

"Yeah. Where is his food?" Kyungsoo asked. Jongin took the bottle and opened his arms wide, motioning Kyungsoo to hand Manse to him which Kyungsoo did. Jongin put Manse on his lap with a hand wrapped around the baby's waist, another hand holding the bottle. 

"You are drenched." Jongin commented after staring at Kyungsoo who was eating an apple by the fridge. "You should change or else you will get sick. Take a short bath and wear my shirt. I also have a new pair of boxers if you want." Kyungsoo threw him a weird look. "What? It's like," he glanced at the clock, "almost eight o'clock and you are wet and I am sure that you cannot go home since it is dark already."

Kyungsoo looked at him in amusement, a small smile crept its way to his face. "Are you inviting a stranger that you just met in less than 12 hours to sleep over?"

"Well, I am not that kind of guy but I guess you are an exception." Jongin grinned, winking at the other male. Kyungsoo blushed slightly. "Seriously though, go and take a shower."

 

After feeding the kid, Jongin put him to sleep on the couch while waiting for his sister to pick the baby up. Kyungsoo was still in the bathroom. Not long after that, a knocked was heard and Jongin quickly opened the door. He was exhausted and he was more than delighted to see his sister to finally come and fetch her son.

"He is sleeping on the couch. I fed him dinner so you are welcome." Jongin said as invited his sister in. "He made me spend my money quite a lot so I am expecting you to pay me back."

His sister, Yuri, rolled her eyes at her stingy brother. "He is your nephew! Do not be too stingy." She replied, cooing at her own child before scooping him in her arms. 

"Money is still money." Jongin argued. "He was too hyper today. He even chased after a dog! God, I will never babysit him ever again." Jongin groaned at the unwanted memories. "You should tame him. I swear to god that he got those traits from you."

"Yah! You little—" "Jongin? Where do you put your new briefs?" Kyungsoo who got a towel wrapped around his waist, hair still wet from the shower that he just took, walked to the living room. "O-OH. I am sorry!" He squeaked in embarassment and shuffled away to the bedroom. 

Yuri narrowed her eyes at Jongin. "Who was that? And why is he asking for your new briefs?"

"I-I." Jongin stuttered, not knowing where to start and how to explain. "Look! It's late. Your husband is probably dying while waiting for you in the car." Jongin said, pushing Yuri out from his house and shoved the baby's bag in her arms. "Goodbye!" He slammed the door, gently, in her face.

 

"That was embarassing!" Kyungsoo, now fully dressed in Jongin's old high school's sweater and sweat pants, whined while burying his face in the cushion. "I was half ! Not to mention that I asked where your brief is." 

Jongin laughed and patted his head. "It is okay. I will explain to her soon. She will understand." 

"No!" Kyungsoo wailed, hands on Jongin's shoulders and shook the man's body. "My reputation!"

Jongin could only laugh at Kyungsoo's misery. "It is okay. You can meet her again and make a better impression."

"Let's meet her tomorrow and I will try my best to impress her so I can get rid of today's humilation." Kyungsoo said, voice full of determination.

"You are acting like my boyfriend." Jongin snorted which caught Kyungsoo off guard and made the other male blush.

Kyungsoo threw a pillow at the him. "SHUT UP."

2260words.