Can You Hear My Music?

Angel's Rhapsody

Intro

The city lights lit the sky of Seoul on this warm summer evening. People buzzing through the streets, going from one destination to another. It was a city full of life. 

In that city, there is a small park, one you would usually find occupied by couples and those looking for a place to relax. It was relatively small compared to the city itself, yet it was large enough was people to have their own private little spot. That park had an abnormally large tree near the northern exit. That area tend to be less crowded compare to all the other areas. 

Under that tree, there was a girl. 

Her name was Choa, and everyday she would walk from her home to that area, with her guitar and some pack food. And everyday she would play her guitar and be lost in the music.


Can You Hear My Music?

 

"EOMMA!" Choa scream out as she headed towards the front door of her home.

"What?" her mother reply.

"I'm going to go to the park after school," she answer, "so I might be home a little late."

"Hm okay, just don't be home pass 10 PM."

"Ne!"

Choa left her home, carrying her guitar (in its case) in one hand, and a pack lunch in the other. It was already 7:30 AM; Choa was running late for school, despite the fact that the campus was only a 20 minute walking distance from her home. But every morning, before heading straight for school, she would drop by the local market to pick up some food for an elderly woman that she had become close to, since her family had move to Seoul. Knowing that she would not be able to make it to school on time, she decided to skip the routine for the day, and just head straight toward the campus.

Arriving with exactly 10 minutes to spare, she was greeted at the front gate by her homeroom teacher, Mrs. Jeon. 

"Choa," Mrs. Jeon called out, "you should hurry to class, the bell rings in a few minutes."

"Ne, Mrs. Jeon," she replied, "I'll see you in class."

Choa bowed towards her teacher and hurried off towards the school building.

When she arrived at the classroom, there were students buzzing around, chatting with friends, and doing other things, in the little amount of time that they had til the school bell would ring.

Choa make it with about 4 minutes left on the clock. She headed straight for her desk, which was set in the back next to the window. It was a very convenient spot for her. She was able to place her guitar in the space behind her seat without having it get in the way of anyone who was moving between the seats.

Although Choa had been in Seoul for a while, she was not close to anymore other than the elderly women. Her classmates would talk to her every once in a while, but the conversation would last no longer than a few minutes. And usually it would be more about topics relating to the class, rather than anything casual. The girl sitting in front of her once ask, "So why do you bring your guitar to school, even though you never play it?" Choa, than, had simply answered, "I don't know." The girl had never inquire much about the matter since then. 

The school bell rang.

As soon as her final class had finished, Choa grab her belongings and headed straight for the classroom door. 

She was planning to stop by the elderly woman's place, since she was not able to go in the morning. 

As she headed for the front gate of the school, she look around the yard. It was fill with students; most of which were athletes, whom were getting ready for the season. Choa showed little interest for what was happening around her. 

On her way towards the elderly woman's place, she decided to drop by a market sightly close to the area, to grab some snacks that she had always bought for the elderly woman. The snacks that she would grab, were usually foreign snacks that were not common in the local markets. So she would always get looks whenever she ran out of the stores with her hands full of them. (Exaggerated of course, she still need her hands to carry her guitar and lunch)

As soon as she had what she needed, she made her exit.

The elderly woman's home was only two blocks from the market, so Choa arrive in a matter of minutes.

She approach the front door and knock three time. She could hear footsteps shuffling towards the door.

As the door open, Choa was surprised to see that she was not being greeted by the elderly woman, but by another woman whom she had seem around the area a few time.

The woman asked, "Can I help you?"

"Sorry, but the woman that lives here," Choa began, "is she home by any chance?"

The woman gave Choa a sightly confused look, but than answered, "Ah! You mean Mrs. Ahn."

It was actually Choa's first time hearing the elderly woman's name. Ever since she had met her, she had always called her Grandmother.

"Mrs. Ahn actually return to the U.S. to be with her family this morning." the woman finish.

This was the first time that Choa was hearing this information. To be honest, Choa had not learn much about the elderly woman. For whenever she had a chance to talk to her, it was usually about more simple things, never anything personal. 

The woman look at Choa and look as if she had just remember something.

"Wait, are you Choa?" she asked.

"Ah yes, I'm Park Choa, Nice to meet you."

"Ah actually, Mrs. Ahn had left something for me to to passed on to you," she said, "let me go get it really quick."

As the woman left the front door to grab whatever it was that the woman had left her, Choa silently thought about what it could have been. 

The woman return just after a few seconds.

She handed Choa an envelope.

"Mrs. Ahn had asked me to pass this to you when you drop by." 

Choa reached for the envelope. 

"She was a nice woman, Mrs. Ahn," the woman said.

"Ah ne, " Choa reply, "well I should get going now, Sorry for disturbing you."

"Do not worry" the woman answered.

They bid each other farewell.

Choa had decided to not open up the envelope until she had arrive at the tree near the northern exit of the small park. 

As usual the spot was free for her to take. 

She laid her guitar case against the tree and sat next to it.

She reach for the envelope and held it in front of her for a few minutes. Staring at it, wondering at what it could possibly be. 

She ripped an opening on the envelope and reach for whatever was inside. She pull out a folded letter.

Choa unfold the letter, to see the elderly woman's writing. She began to read.


 

Choa, my beautiful child,

Every morning you greet me with my favorite snack, and every afternoon you greet me with a lovely song. For such a young person, I have always wondered why you like to hang around an old woman like myself. You should be with friends your own age, or else people will start thinking that you are also old. That is not to say, that I did not enjoy the times that we have spend together. I truly cherished every moment we shared.

Since the day you had first move here, I knew that you would have a hard time fitting in. Moving from the countryside to the big city is quite a change. It broke my heart to see you walking home alone everyday. Yet for some reason you decided to befriend this old lady. You would listen to my random stories and I would listen to your singing. Though we have never talk much about personal matter, I feel as if I know you very well. 

I had wanted to tell you in person, but it seems that you were in a rush this morning, so you were not able to drop by. But it is okay. You should know by now that I have decided to return to my Family in the US, and it makes me very sad to not see you anymore. However I hope that you can forget about me and live life like you should. 

Choa, my beautiful child. You are a beautiful soul, you have the voice of an angel, and it is a shame that you do not share it. Promise me that from now on, you will let the world hear your song.

Thank you for being a very dear friend, Choaya, my beautiful Angel.


 

Choa finish reading the letter and just stared at it for some time. 

Tears began to slowly run down her cheeks. 

She put the letter down and reached for her guitar case.

With her guitar set up, she began to strum a few chords. Slowly trying to figure it out while at the same time, trying to fight back tears. 

She look up and slowly found the chords she had needed. 

She found the sound she had wanted as she continue to strum. 

People who would usually pass by, stop to listen to her playing her guitar. As she slowly turn her head to the small forming crowd, she shine a smile as tears continue to roll down her face.

She softly began to sing.....

"Can you hear? Can you hear? Can you hear my music?"

(At this point, you, the reader should put on AoA's "My Song.")

Choa continued to sing, not for the small crowd, but so that Mrs. Ahn could hear her just once more.