Delayed Response

Delayed Response - N

Papers rustled as pupils gathered their books and slipped them into their backpacks, the popular girls stood up as their boyfriends came over and wrapped their arms around their barbie doll like figures. Filing out of the room, you finished up your last problem before you started gathering your papers and slipping them into your backpack that hung on the back of your chair.

“Hey _____” Your friend trotted over to your desk and slid into the chair beside you.

“Hey Lindsey, are you doing anything fun for the weekend?” You questioned her as you slowly flipped to the front cover of your spiral notebook. to reveal your name and N’s name written together on the inside front cover.

“Nothing much really, just more school work and I might catch a movie. What about you? Are you doing anything with N?” Lindsey inquired, leaning in as her voice was soft and low making sure no one heard what she said.

Shaking your head lightly, you drew your finger over his name before you closed the notebook gently, “I haven’t even told him about my crush on him anyways”

“Why not?” Lindsey pushed your shoulder as you just shrugged your shoulders lightly.

“I haven’t found the right time to tell him, I guess” You slipped your notebook into your backpack along with your pens.

“Then I dare you to confess to him by the end of the weekend” She smiled standing to her feet as you stood up and lifted your backpack onto your shoulders.

“Why do I have to do it this weekend?” You glanced up at your friend before you and her slowly walked out of the emptied classroom.

“Come on, you have had a crush on him for years why can’t you just tell him? Hasn’t he been your friend since kindergarten or something?” She twirled her bracelet around her fingers as you slowed your pace and felt your heart pick up slightly.

“I can’t tell him, it would change our friendship for good” You whispered as she turned around and faced you

“You won’t know if he likes you back until you try” She sang, holding onto your arm gently.

“______~” A familiar voice sang through the halls, turning your head towards the origin of the voice, you smiled seeing N trot up to you and Lindsey.

“I want to hear all about it on Monday” Lindsey leaned into your shoulder and whispered next to your ear. Feeling a new weight and pressure on your shoulders now, you just nodded your head gently to Lindsey.

“Are you ready to head home?” N questioned as he approached the two of you.

“Yeah, I’m ready if you are” You glanced over at N as he nodded his head.

“I’m going to head out first” Lindsey smiled and backed away

“You could come with us if you wanted to” N offered while he looked between you and Lindsey trying to read both of your body expressions.

“No, that is okay. Thank you for the offer, I have to go meet a teacher and I don’t want to keep you waiting” Lindsey smiled and winked in your direction.

“Have a good weekend too~” N called after her, she nodded her head and rounded the corner disappearing from your view.

Turning around, the two of you headed down the desolate hallway, your shoes clicking against the tile while his shoes squeaked with yours. Slipping your hands into the pockets of your jacket, you glanced outside to see the light grey clouds congregating in the sky.

“Do you think it will rain?” N questioned, following your eyes out the window.

“Hopefully not… I don’t want to run all the way home in the rain again” You chuckled remembering some of the fun times you two shared together.

“Don’t worry, if that happens again, I will call my parents to come and pick us up” He smiled and opened all the doors for you on your way outside.

Grey clouds slowly blotted out the bright sun, creating a soft tint of light around you. N and you headed in the direction of your home, with the route ingrained in your head, the two of you mindlessly walked side by side. Lindsey’s words slowly seeped into your mind once your mind tried to retain all the information that you learned in school hours.

I dare you to confess to him by the end of the weekend

Her voice echoed over and over again

You have had a crush on him for years why can’t you just tell him?
What have you got to loose?

Shaking your head from her voice, N glanced over at you while slipping his hands into the pockets of his jeans.

“Is everything okay?” He asked noticing that you were shaking your head more than usual.

“Hrmmm?” You turned towards him, your steps instantly slowed while your eyes widened looking up into his brown orbs, “O-Oh y-y-yeah everything is fine” You nodded your head and started walking once more.

“If something is bothering you we can talk about it” N walked a little closer to you, feeling your heart pick up a little more, your skin started to feel warm probably from the blush that was growing on your cheeks.

“I-I know” You whispered, your hands pushing into your pockets trying to go deeper. N nodded his head slowly before he pushed the signal to cross the street, humming a random song that came into his mind, he swayed from side to side while you observed him from the corner of your eyes.

Crossing the street then another and another the song of the birds slowly morphed into the chirp of crickets. Cracks of concrete passed beneath your feet while your eyes drifted over to N’s figure then back to your shoes.

Why can’t I tell him? You questioned yourself, He has been my longest friend, we have known each other since kindergarten, he should understand.

“N?” You cooed, your footsteps slowed once more yet he slowed down with you getting closer to your home with each step.

“Yes?” He looked in your direction, stopping his steps as you did once you were in front of the gate to your home.

“I-I do have something I want to say to you…” Your voice trailed off, your shifty eyes stayed on his for this long before they dropped to your hands playing with the ends of your sleeves. “You know how we have been friends since kindergarten?”

“I remember” He chuckled a little at the multiple birthday parties he attended for you and you for him, the recesses that you two played together and the group projects you two spent countless hours working on.

“Well… I have kind of had a crush on you for the past few years” Your words sped up as nervousness caused you to fidget and shift your weight from one foot to the other.

After a while, you lifted your eyes making sure he was still here, his face was blank as he just stood there at a loss for words.

“Please say something” You almost begged, feeling your heart beat faster wondering if you just jeopardized your whole relationship. Waiting a little longer but without a single word spilling from his lips, you gently bowed to him.

“Have a nice weekend” You whispered before you entered the code into the rod iron gate and pushed it open before closing it behind you.

N watched you trot into your house, your hands stuffed in your pockets as you walked through your front door. Standing there in shock, he sighed dropping his head then lifting his hand, running his fingers through his hair slowly thinking about what he had just heard.

Turning around, he slowly walked back to his home that was only a few blocks away. Your confession rolled around in his brain, it wasn’t that he didn’t have feelings for you, he obviously did yet when the opportunity presented itself he fell cold.

A while later, he slipped through the door as Hongbin wondered through the kitchen, munching on anything he could get his hands on.

“Hey N” Hongbin welcomed with his mouth full of food.

“Hey” N waved at him lazily before plopping down on the couch letting a large sigh spill from his pink lips.

“Hard day?” Hongbin brings over some chips and sits next to his friend.

“Not really” N mumbled gazing up at the ceiling while taking in a deep breath.

“Then what happened?” Hongbin turned his body towards N

“You know ____. right?” He started, his hands resting over his stomach

“Of course, your best friend since kindergarten and the girl you love” Hongbin sang nudging N’s shoulder.

“Well she likes me too” N rolled his head over to see Hongbin’s reaction.

“That’s great! Now you two like each other and you can ask her to be your girlfriend and everything will be good!” Hongbin bounces out of excitement.

“If only I didn’t blow it…” N sat up and leaned over his knees, his hands covering his face.

“W-Wait… what?” Hongbin questioned seriously

“I blew it… she confessed to me and I just stood there like an idiot and then she just went into her home.” N told him sadly

“Then why don’t you do something for her, like call her tonight or go over. You have to tell her something or by Monday she may not talk to you.” Hongbin advised slipping another chip into his mouth.

“Y-Your right… but what do I do… how do I tell her?” N raked his fingers through his hair slowly.

“Oh I know! Why don’t you just go up to her house and knock on her door and give her a flower~” Hongbin presented with a smile, “Girls like flowers!”

Within an hour, N was all dressed up nicely and holding a single rose, lifting his hand he knocked against your front door and listened closely to what was happening behind the door. His heart beat against his chest, reminding himself to breath, he closed his eyes for a moment right before the door opened to you.

“N?” You questioned a little in shock, stepping back slightly.

“Are y-y-you b-busy?” N stammered nervously, rocking from his toes to his heels slowly.

“Not really…” You shook your head gently, watching his head lift slowly, his eyes met yours.

The emotion behind his eyes was so different from what you had seen before. Such depth yet vulnerability all mixed into his dreamy chocolate eyes.

“About earlier…” N started, running his tongue along his lips slowly, “I am sorry I didn’t say anything, I was just in shock that you liked me too. So…”

You watched him descend down onto one knee, his hand lifting with the single rose, offering it to you. A breath caught in your throat while your stomach twisted and turned out of happiness.

“_____ ______” N said your full name name while his eyes looked up into yours, “Since you like me… and I love you, will you be my girlfriend?”

“Y-You like me t-t-to?” You questioned pointing to yourself, watching him intently, he rose to his feet and nodded softly, moving closer to you, he smiled and took your hand into his.

“I love you” He whispers as he leans in and kisses your cheek, this time you were the one that fell silent, wrapping your arms around him, he wrapped his arms around you giving you time to think.

Finding your answer, you stood on your tippy toes and turned your lips to his ear to whisper, “I would be honored to be your girlfriend”

Pressing your lips against his cheek, you blushed and buried your head into his shoulder as he held you securely in his arms, feeling a new chemistry growing between the two of you, adding another chapter to your friendship.