That Part is the Whole

That Piece You Can't Find

The strangest thing I ever saw in New York was three men holding hands. New York was a new place for me, but I’d gone there to see Shinee in concert, and I was going to accomplish that no matter what. I made my flight a few days early so I could experience the tourist life for a little bit before I saw my Oppas live in concert and died in the process. One stop on that tour of New York was Washington Square Park and it was there that my life changed forever because those three men that I saw were Taemin, Key, and Jonghyun oppas—in the flesh.

Jongin read over the little he’d written for his newest story, nodding in satisfaction at his ability to write convincingly from a female’s perspective. (He purposely overlooked the fact that he usually referred to Shinee as Oppas, too.) He felt more than heard an amused puff of breath at the back of his neck, and looked up to see Chanyeol, his boyfriend, reading over his shoulder.

“You’ve got quite a narrative gift,” Chanyeol commented sarcastically into Jongin's ear.

Jongin huffed in annoyance and told Chanyeol that if he had nothing nice to say, then he shouldn’t say anything at all. Chanyeol kissed his pouting boyfriend to make up for that comment, secretly wondering why Jongin didn’t just date his Shinee oppas—since he liked them so much and all.

“Yeollie…” Jongin said coaxingly, suddenly struck by what he considered one of his best ideas possibly ever.

Chanyeol looked warily down at his boyfriend, more than used to the erratic operations of Jongin's brain and unsure about whatever crazy Jongin's next idea was bound to be. "Yes, baby?" he answered cautiously, pausing in his ministrations to Jongin's neck.

"Wanna be my model?"


Two days later, Jongin stood in the living room of his, Sehun, and Yixing's shared apartment. (All three were dance majors—Yixing was Sehun and Jongin's senior by three years and when he'd offered close housing with cheap rent, the Korean students had jumped at the chance.) Across the room, Chanyeol stood awkwardly in the corner, presenting a stark contrast to the entwined couple seated together on Jongin's couch.

As far as Jongin knew, Kyungsoo and Luhan had been together since Kyungsoo first came from Seoul to attend university in Beijing. Both were Yixing's year and all three were close enough to each other and to Jongin that the latter had no problem asking the couple to join Chanyeol in helping him out.

"Okay!" Jongin exclaimed with an accompanying hand clap. The sound startled Luhan and Kyungsoo out of their impromptu make out session and caused an already nervous Chanyeol to squeak in surprise. "Let's get this show on the road!"

"Ummm," Kyungsoo inquired quietly, finger raised in the air like a nonverbal question, "what exactly are we doing here, Jongin?"

"Great question, Kyungie!" Jongin replied, his voice at near-shrieking level and his use of Kyungsoo's nickname making both his boyfriend and Kyungsoo's glare in jealousy. Jongin pointedly ignored their matching looks and focused on Kyungsoo. "I'm writing a...story," he paused to find the right word so as not to embarrass himself by admitting his fanfiction addiction. "The characters in it are in a relationship and I needed human models so I can better describe the ways they get physical." He waggled his eyebrows suggestively.

Luhan was indignant. "So let me get this straight," he said to Jongin. "You have a perfectly fine boyfriend right here," he gestured to Chanyeol, "and yet you needed me and Soo for something? Why? I could have slept in!" He pouted cutely and Kyungsoo couldn't deny the urge to kiss Luhan's frown upside down—so he didn't.

"Come on, babe," Kyungsoo said encouragingly, "let's try something new for once!" Luhan rolled his eyes in faux annoyance, not mentioning that their shared relationship with Yixing was more than enough new in Luhan's opinion.

"Fine," he agreed, still pouting. "I still don't understand why you needed all three of us though."

Chanyeol crossed his arms over his chest in an attempt to be intimidating. "What?" he asked, curious as to why he needed a reason to hang out in his boyfriend's apartment. "Can't I just spend time with my boyfriend?"

Luhan and Kyungsoo rolled their eyes at the same time, both thinking that Chanyeol had a tendency to take his dramatics a little too far sometimes. "Okay," Kyungsoo interjected, "whatever. I don't care and the sooner we're done here, the better. So," he looked at Jongin for direction, "where do you want us?"

Jongin grinned widely, pleased that Kyungsoo had managed to successfully shut down Chanyeol's discomfort and Luhan's lack of participatory spirit. He pulled out his laptop, opening the lid and turning it on before gesturing to the open area in front of him. "There's usually a coffee table here," he said, still gesturing vaguely, "but I had Sehun help me move it before you guys got here cause I thought we might need the room."

His words sparked further questions in Luhan's mind, but the Chinese boy looked over at the excitement on Kyungsoo's face and didn't have the heart to shut Jongin's operation down. "Ugh," he grumbled petulantly, making his way over to the empty space regardless and pulling Kyungsoo up behind him as he did so.

Jongin stood with his arms crossed in serious contemplation, considering the different positions he wanted from his "models."

"Luhan, I want you facing Kyungsoo with your arms around him, and then Yeollie," he grabbed his boyfriend by the hand and pushed him toward the other two, "put your chin on Kyungsoo's head and pretend you're going to kiss Luhan on the forehead, got it?"

Chanyeol nodded, already aware of the nature of Jongin's story and the reason three people were necessary for Jongin's silly plan. Luhan and Kyungsoo, though, had no clue that they were supposed to be part of a three person relationship and inquired of Jongin just to be sure.

"Yep!" he agreed cheerfully. "See," he explained, "cause Kyungie is Jonghyun, Chan-ah is Taemin, and Luhan, you can be Key because diva. Obviously."

Luhan gaped at Jongin open mouthed, wondering how this person's roommate was one of Luhan's very own boyfriends and yet this side of Jongin—that of a Shinee sasaeng fan—had remained well hidden until that very moment. "He's a weird one," Luhan whispered conspiratorially to Kyungsoo.

"Oh, I don't know," his boyfriend replied skeptically, voice muffled by his current position wrapped in Luhan's arms. "I think it's cute. You know, in an excited puppy kind of way."

Luhan nodded in begrudging agreement before giggling with Kyungsoo over the fact that they were playing two thirds of an OT3 relationship while actually being part of a real one. The two thought it was even funnier that Jongin had orchestrated this whole thing but really had absolutely no idea.

Jongin hovered around Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, and Luhan, making tiny adjustments where necessary until he decided they were exactly where he wanted them. When he sat down to write, though, his fingers were frustrated and his thought processes stalled.

"It's not right!" Jongin shouted out, exasperated that he'd worked so hard to situate them perfectly yet he still couldn't seem to write anything. At that moment, Yixing let himself into the apartment, dropping his keys onto the door side cabinet. His voice carrying into the living room, he questioned loudly, "What's not right?"

Luhan and Kyungsoo grinned instantly at the sound of Yixing's arrival, resisting the urge to run to him and cover him in loving kisses. Kyungsoo was particularly interested in sharing the morning's amusing events, but fear of an angry Jongin kept him in position instead.

As if Jongin could read Kyungsoo's mind, he glared menacingly in the three's general direction, pointing with an accusing finger and saying "Don't you move," before going to welcome Yixing home and explain his earlier outburst. Yixing ahhed as if he understood everything completely—as the final third in Luhan and Kyungsoo's relationship, maybe he did—but Jongin assumed Yixing was merely as blank as usual and stopped speaking half way through, switching instead to a continued contemplation of his positioned "models."

A sudden burst of laughter pulled Jongin from his pensive reverie, and Yixing doubled over, clutching his stomach as he gasped out, "What is even happening? Chanyeol is so tall next to them that the whole thing looks ridiculous!"

"That's it!" Jongin shouted again, though this time in triumph. "Park Chanyeol," he said seriously, using his boyfriend's full name to emphasis the apparent weight of the entire situation. (Chanyeol just thought Jongin was being adorably absurd.) "Move it. You're too tall to be Taemin. That's been the problem all along!"

Chanyeol knew Jongin well enough and loved him enough as well to realize the latter wasn't purposely being offensive and was just too caught up in the situation to realize his words. He put his arms up and shrugged at a curious Yixing, as if to say "what can you do?" before extricating himself from Luhan and Kyungsoo's continued embrace.

"Yixing," Jongin ordered, once Chanyeol had moved far enough away, "you're a dancer—like Taemin oppa—and you're shorter than Yeollie too. It's perfect."

Yixing had been keeping up pretty well until that point, but he sent Chanyeol a look that said he was strongly questioning Jongin's sanity. A pleading pout from Luhan combined with a furrowed brow from Kyungsoo, though, influenced Yixing enough to walk over to his boyfriend's to assume Chanyeol's previous position.

"Spectacular," Jongin said excitedly, clapping his hands in pleasure. He threaded his fingers together to crack his knuckles once. He wrote a few words quickly, glancing up to periodically take in the position of the three men and changing their stances slightly to better suit his story.

After almost half an hour of standing in the same position, Kyungsoo's legs were beginning to get extremely tired. He groaned in pain that soon became pleasure when he noticed Yixing and Luhan had begun to kiss passionately in an attempt to stave off their boredom. They'd never purposely his their three-way relationship—Chanyeol and Sehun knew—but when Jongin looked up again from his computer, he gasped in shock. "Luhan," he screeched, "What are you doing, cheating on Kyungsoo-hyung like that?! You're getting way too into this whole OT3 relationship thing." (Though he readily admitted to himself that he was grateful for their commitment to his project.)

"Don't you know, Jongin-ah?" Kyungsoo asked in barely-concealed amusement. "That Luhan and I are dating but I'm also dating Yixing and Lulu is too?"

Jongin was too dumbfounded to formulate an articulate response and only gurgled at Kyungsoo in surprise. Finally, once he seemed to catch his breath and regather his wits, Jongin's grinned reappeared, even wider than before. "This is great!" He cheered in excitement. "I can already see a prosperous career in fanfiction ahead of me. Those other writers on AFF aren't gonna know what hit them. All the votes!"

Most of what Jongin said was gibberish to everyone else in the room, but Luhan was familiar enough with the jargon to respond drily, "I'm so glad our real life relationship is such a benefit to your hobby, Jongin."

Kyungsoo shut his boyfriend up with a quick kiss and a strong look. "Lu," Yixing added as a quiet background to Jongin's continued chatter, "stop being rude. You can't fault the kid for being excited. We are pretty great together."

"Better than the combination of JongKeyTae?" Kyungsoo wanted to know—for the hell of it, really.

"Doubtful," Jongin interjected snidely before anyone else could respond. "And it's KeyTaeJong, okay? If you're going to "model" for them, you've got to at least get your name right. Jeez."


Thanks for for reading yet another of my EXO OT3s! If you liked it, I'd like to know, so please comment to let me know! I get it, though, the time it takes to comment can be a little much, so upcoming this or any of my other OT3s would be much appreciated also!!