Accelerando

Soundscape to Ardor

Part 1

Accelerando


Music is something that can speak in a way words never will. The tempo, rhythm, intensity, loudness or softness can all convey emotions and thoughts without words ever needing to be said, because music is felt not heard.

Whether beginner or master, amateur or prodigy, everyone has a way of expressing themselves through music and sound.

But if the ability to create music is stripped away suddenly and violently… how would one cope with such a loss? When there is no way to return to how it was before, how would one carry on?

And there are some wounds that not even time can heal.

The screeching pitch of the high C was enough for Jongin to tell that the piano was horribly out of tune.

A polished black grand piano sat upon a stage in an empty auditorium, awaiting it’s time to show its music.

But, of course, it was out of tune.

“Chanyeol, I thought you tuned this when you played it earlier!” Jongin shouted to his friend who had just walked through the auditorium doors.

“They switched the grand I tuned with the one from the practice room! I didn’t have time to tune that one because Baekhyun needed my help with moving the string basses!” Chanyeol shouted back.

Jongin rolled his eyes. “Whatever, I’ll do it myself.”

He pulled out the cushioned bench from the beneath piano and sat on it, slowly bringing his hands up to rest upon the keys. Playing a quick major scale and arpeggio, he placed his right foot on the acoustic grand’s tuning pedal, so when he at last reached the out of tune C, he held the note and used the pedal to correct the pitch. He lifted his foot and pressed the key a few times, satisfied with his work.

“Wow, your ear is as sharp as ever.” Chanyeol, who now stood next to him on the stage, said.

“Would you expect any less from the musical prodigy that is Kim Jongin?” Baekhyun said half playfully as he appeared from backstage.

“What have you been doing this whole time?” Jongin asked. “Chanyeol said that you were moving string basses, why?”

Baekhyun laughed lightly. “So full of questions today, huh?”

His laughter was silenced by the unamused glares both Jongin and Chanyeol leveled on him.

“Professor Steele asked me to move them to the second practice room, but I couldn’t move them all by myself so I asked Chanyeol to help me. When I was on my way back over here after I was done, Junmyeon stopped me in the hall and asked if I could help him with his part in his duet for tonight’s showcase. Me being the nice person that I am, I couldn’t refuse him in his time of need.”

Chanyeol rolled his eyes. “You? Nice? Try annoying, it suits you far better.”

“You know you love me.”

Jongin just listened to their lighthearted banter for a while before they both annoyed him to the point that he wanted to leave. He stood up from the bench saying, “I’ve got to get going. I have to talk to the professor and get ready for tonight.”

Baekhyun and Chanyeol both waved at him as he left the auditorium, saying that they’d see each other again later.

In all actuality, Jongin ended up wandering the campus halls for a bit before he reached the office of Professor Steele, whose door was closed. He knocked on it, entering when he heard a faint “come in” from the other side.

There wasn’t really anything overly special about the room, minus a large mahogany desk and expensive leather computer chair. Paintings of classical composers adorned the walls, and a wooden bookcase filled to the brink with books occupied the entire space behind the desk. A single window was on the wall to Jongin’s right, giving a clear view out to the main courtyard.

Sitting in the chair in front of him was a woman in her mid-twenties, with golden brown hair pulled in a loose ponytail over her left shoulder, slightly rounded black glasses rested on her nose, and a wine red pant suit completed the classy look.

She gazed at Jongin with piercing hazel eyes, “Yes Jongin? Is there something I can help you with?”

“Professor Steele,” he began, “I was wondering if I could perform a solo for the showcase? Kyungsoo caught a cold so he can’t risk straining his vocal chords right now.”

She nodded along to his words. “Ah yes, he called about that earlier. He sounded very under the weather, to say the least. I understand the situation, so I don’t have a problem with you going on as a soloist tonight. Did you already have a song in mind?”

Jongin nodded. “I was going to play one of my self-composed songs.”

Her eyes narrowed for a brief moment before she smiled at him. “Alright, do as you like. I expect it will be astounding, as is everything you perform. A true prodigy like you never fails to impress.”

Jongin left after that.

Prodigy. A word he both admired and abhorred. Being naturally gifted as a musician had gotten him into Prinzen Academy, the most prestigious performing arts institution in the world, at the tender young age of nineteen, the lowest age in the academy’s history for anyone to be admitted.

He was always receiving praise, whether it was for his high level piano skills, master-like violin skills, or both. And while he did appreciate the sentiment, he also had come to loathe all the compliments and attention.

But, somewhere deep down inside him, he was proud of his talent and actually enjoyed all the compliments he received. However, that side was shoved deep down years ago, and he kept it that way. And if he was going to be completely honest with himself, he almost wished he hadn’t been born with the innate ability to easily master the piano and violin. He almost wished he could just be normal, even if it was only wishful thinking.

There were still two hours left before the showcase was set to start, so Jongin decided to pay a visit to Kyungsoo, to see if he was feeling any better.

It didn’t take long for him to reach the dorms across from the main campus, maybe ten minutes at most. 

He had just reached the door to Kyungoo's room and was about to knock when the door opened suddenly, the person who had just walked out almost colliding into him.

"Oh, s-sorry, I-" the person stopped. "Jongin?"

Jongin blinked, not believing what was happening. "Baekhyun? What are you doing here?"

"I uh- that is, I..."

Was he blushing or...? 

"I-I'll see you at the showcase! Later!" Before Jongin could say another word, Baekhyun was already gone.

Jongin shook his head. Weird.

"Kyungsoo!" he said as he entered the dorm room, closing the door behind him. "Kyungsoo, it's me, Jongin."

"I'm in the kitchen," was the slightly raspy response.

Jongin made his way down the narrow hallway to the 'kitchen' that all the dorms had. It was basically just a small room with a mini fridge, a microwave, a small stove, and a sink.

Kyungsoo was standing near the sink with a large steaming mug in his hands, blowing softly on the hot liquid to cool it down. He looked up as Jongin approached, a small smile playing on his face. "Hey," he said, the same raspiness as before coloring his voice, He lifted the mug to his lips and took a quick drink from it.

"Baekhyun just left. Was he here to check up on you? I thought that you didn't get along." Jongin said, curious about the situation.

Kyungsoo paused for a moment, his gaze focused on the mug in his hands, and it seemed as though he was considering his next words. "I don't hate him," he said slowly, gaze finally meeting Jongin's.

"Is there... I mean, are you two, you know, dating?"

Kyungsoo glared at him. "Hell no. Get that thought out of your head right now. There's no way I'd date someone like him." His words were sharp, but the slight redness of his cheeks contradicted them.

"Do you like him?" Jongin asked.

"Stop asking about it before I hit you." He didn't deny it.

"I think he likes you."

Kyungsoo set his mug in the sink, his hands resting on the edge of the counter. "Stop... just stop. I know you're trying to help, but don't." He looked at Jongin. "Besides, you don't know what you're talking about. Chanyeol and Baekhyun are..." his words trailed off, leaving his sentence unfinished. But it was enough. Enough to know what he was implying.

"I'm sorry." Jongin said softly. "I didn't mean to upset you. I actually came here to see if you were feeling better."

"No... I'm not. Please, just... just leave." he brushed past Jongin and went to lay down in bed.

Way to go there, Jongin. Some friend you are.

He left the room.

It was ten minutes before Jongin was set to go on, and he was actually feeling a little nervous. This wouldn't be his first time performing a solo in front of a crowd, but it would be his first time performing an original song, one that he composed himself.

Caught up in his own thoughts, he was surprised to hear his name called.

"Up next we have Kim Jongin, the pride of the musical department. He'll be performing a piano solo that he personally composed, titled 'The Crimson Bow and Arrow'."

Jongin took that as his cue to enter the stage, the audience applauding him. Professor Steele nodded to him, whispering "good luck" as she went backstage.

Jongin in a deep breath, taking a seat on the bench near the keys of the acoustic grand. The audience went completely silent as he brought his hands up and lightly caressed the keys. Once he had gotten a feel for the piano, he settled into starting position.

Here goes nothing.

All thoughts cast aside, he began to play, and the rest of the world disappeared in that instant. Graceful fingers moved across the keys in practiced elegance and skill, the music pouring into the room, the audience in a state of complete and utter awe.

And before he knew it, he was already hitting the final note, the ennding gliss reverberating throughout the auditorium hall. Jongin looked up from the piano, standing to take his bow. When he did, the crowd erupted into cheer, giving him a standing ovation. Jongin smiled at the sight, feeling joyful and proud.

The rest of the night was a blur after that. He celebrated with his friends for most of the night, having a good time. He received endless praise for his solo, and, for the first time, he welcomed it. There were some people who went so far as to say that he had the best performance of the night.

When it started to get close to midnight, he bid farewell to his comrades and departed for the dorms.

The walk wasn't that far, but Chanyeol and Baekhyun offered to go with him since it was so late, but he waved them off, saying that he'd be alright by himself.

It was a walk he'd made so many times before. Nothing ever happened, so he didn't expect anything now.

This time, though, was different.

Not far from the doors of the dorm house, he was ambushed by three guys dressed in all black, with masks covering their faces and steel baseball bats in ther hands.

"You think you're some big shot, huh? You think you're better than everyone?"

Jongin was going to turn and run, but someone grabbed him from behind, forcing him to his knees.

"I think it's time someone taught you a lesson in humility."

Pain flared across his back as he was struck with a bat, knocking the wind out of him.

"W-wait, please-" he was silenced by another hit, stronger this time, the pain blurring his vision.

"Grab his hands," one of the assailants commanded. 

Jongin felt his wrists pulled, and his hands were forced against the pavement.

"You need your hands to play, right? I wonder what would happen if..."

His hands were hit hard by a bat, and he felt his bones crack under the force of the hit. Again and again his hands were struck, and Jongin was in too much shock from the pain to cry out.

"Hey! What are you doing?!"

The attackers stopped at the sudden voice, halting their movements.

"! Come on guys, let's get out of here, we already did what we needed to do."

"Don't run away!" Jongin's saviour shouted, but they were already gone. "Oh my god, are you okay?" The person said as they ran and knelt by Jongin's side. Jongin couldn't see clearly, he could on;y make out dark brown hair and eyes, concern etched deeply into the person's expression. 

"Your... your hands," warmth enveloped Jongin's broken hands, almost distracting him from the pain. "Hold on, I'll call for help."

That was the last thing Jongin heard before he slipped into oblivion.


And there you have it! Part one is done~! (I'm so sorry Jonginnie, I didn't want to do that to you, but it was for the sake of the plot!)

Sorry if it seemed a bit slow at the beginning, but this part was really more of an introduction. Tell me what you think, I love feedback and any guesses as to what will happen next and who it is that came to Jongin's rescue? 

Also, if you want to know the song Jongin played, it was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tp9vow2-O0

Anyway, see you next time!

~AeZSiA