The Team

Misunderstanding

"Sorry, I have something to do after school." Wendy said apologetically.

 

Again. Irene had lost count on how many times Wendy had declined her invitations this month. As for the 'something' Wendy had to do after school, was to go and watch the lacrosse team practice. Irene didn't understand why Wendy would rather watch them practice than to go on a date with Irene. Had Wendy lost interest in Irene? She wasn't sure if she want to hear the truth.

 

Irene believed that there must be a reason for this to be occurring. She had thought about asking Wendy, but it was to blunt and direct for Irene's liking. Irene likes to be secretive, so, she decided to join the team as their manager and observe the team members from inside.

 

Irene became the team manager as soon as she proposed the idea to the team's advisor. The team was getting more popular because of their continuing winning streak, they needed someone to arrange meetings and practices for them. The job wasn't difficult for Irene, however, getting close to the members was harder than she had expected. The members had already known each other since elementary school, their bond was very strong. Irene was sometimes ignored during meetings because the members were busily teasing each other.

 

The only two in the same grade with Irene were Choa and Jimin, and the other members are Irene's juniors. Choa had expressed to Irene that she was a Godsend, because the younger ones didn't dare to intimidate Irene since they weren't close.

 

"The kids tease us because of our height." Choa said darkly.

 

"But your poker face scare them, so please stay this way." Jimin begged.

 

Irene kept her facial expression constant for the first week. She saw how well-behaved the members were. Weirdly, Wendy didn't show up at their practice sessions.

 

*

 

Irene enjoyed spending time with the group a lot, that almost made her forget about her original task. She wanted to find out who was trying to steal Wendy, or whom Wendy had her eyes on. At first, Irene suspected it was Hyejeong, but this idea was later dismissed by Irene.

 

"I love you Hyejeong Unnie!" Seolhyun said.

 

"Love you too." Hyejeong replied.

 

No, Hyejeong won't be the one Wendy would have a fling with. If Hyejeong were to seduce someone, that someone would only be Seolhyun. The couple was too affectionate with each other, they won't even have time to flirt with someone else.

 

The only choices left for Irene were Yuna, Mina, and Chanmi. You asked about Choa and Jimin? You must be new. The eldest couple was well-known within the school. Irene will begin her investigation on Monday again. This time, she will find out what was happening with Wendy.

 

*

 

Over the weekend, Wendy and Irene went on a date. While riding the taxi, Irene noticed that Wendy had one song on repeat. It was common for Wendy when she wanted to learn a song.

 

The whole day, Wendy was attempting to give Irene all of her attention, however, someone was always texting Wendy. When Irene questioned about it, Wendy gave her a vague answer saying that it was a project she was working on with a senior at school.

 

*

 

Monday came along with the person Irene had been searching for.

 

"Sorry, I had to talk to my teammates. Let's go." Yuna said to Wendy.

 

Irene could not believe it was Yuna. The girl was so nice. However, now that Irene reconsidered the situation, Yuna's face resembled a fox.

 

"Fox... My girlfriend is seduced by a fox!" Irene screamed.

 

"Whoa, what is going on?" Choa just came out of the locker room.

 

"Yuna. It was Yuna."

 

*

 

Irene explained the theory she developed to the other members.

 

"I am so confused, and I am not even trying to sing that song here." Jimin said.

 

"Yuna Unnie would never do this." Mina said.

 

"But I saw it! She left with Wendy!"

 

The members sighed.

 

"Did Wendy show any sings that feels like she is, you know, with someone else?" Hyejeong asked.

 

"Except for skipping our dates? Nothing really, she sings a lot still... Oh. My. She was singing the same song."

 

"Which was?"

 

"Yuna-ya."

 

***There is really a song called Yuna-ya.***

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cGPLendaeY

 

*

 

After Irene had left, the remaining members stayed for a short while to discuss the issue.

 

"What do you girls think? Is our Yuna really trying to steal someone else's girlfriend?" Choa questioned.

 

"Unnie, please don't joke about things like this." Mina pouted.

 

"Alright, I'll leave you alone. Should we tell Irene?"

 

"It would be better for her to handle the situation." Hyejeong answered.

 

"Plus, it would be amusing to watch her awkward face." Jimin laughed.

 

"My unnies are evil." Chanmi commented.

 

*

 

Irene chose to go to Wendy's house directly. On her walk to the house, she met Yuna. The fox, as Irene put it, greeted Irene. Didn't want to be rude, Irene replied unemotionally. Yuna was surprised by her cold reaction.

 

"Sorry, I'm in a hurry." Irene said and ran away.

 

"Bye..." Yuna said to the air.

 

*

 

Irene entered Wendy's house and found the girl sitting at her desk, studying the music sheets intently.

 

"Hey." Standing behind Wendy, Irene called softly.

 

Wendy screamed, jumped out of her seat, and finally, fell onto the floor.

 

"Hey, didn't know you were coming over."

 

"You know, we rarely talked this month. You were always busy."

 

"I'm sorry. I have something important to do."

 

"You canceled our date and went to see the lacrosse team practice. What are you trying to do?"

 

"I was waiting for Yuna Unnie."

 

"Did you forget about my existence? I'm your girlfriend! How dare you cheat on me and mention her name to me!"

 

"Wait, cheat on you? We're just practicing for our new musical!"

 

Irene was bewildered, what musical was Wendy talking about?

 

"Yuna Unnie wrote a script for a musical, based off of her own experience, hence the name for the main character, Yuna."

 

"The song you were singing..."

 

"Yea, you heard it, a beautiful song, right?"

 

"For a musical..."

 

Wendy nodded.

 

"Bye." Irene escaped from this embarrassing place.

 

*

 

During the next lacrosse practice, Irene equipped herself with the most intimidating face.

 

"You six knew what was going on."

 

"I thought it was obvious, Yuna Unnie talking about the musical the whole time." Seolhyun said.

 

"I can't believe that you don't know Yunaring..." Mina was disappointed.

 

"Well, excuse me for not following with the trend. I'm old like Choa Unnie."

 

"Don't say that! You're dragging me down with you!" Choa whined.

 

"Stop arguing! You two are old anyway, technology age-wise." Chanmi said.

 

"Anyway, I'm glad that you got the situation resolved. I assume that you are going to quit now that your task has completed?" Jimin said.

 

"I'm staying. I'll get a payback on you kids for hiding the truth from me."

 

*

 

"Hey! Don't touch my food!" Irene roared.

 

This was Irene's revenge on the members.

 

"Yuna can have some."