Goodbye

Graduation Goodbyes

The wind, subtle like the calm sea, brushed past my bangs as I walked through the school gates in this warm, yet slightly chilly morning. In every direction I turned to, I see familiar and unfamiliar faces.

 

Some, I’ve shared classes with. Some, I’ve only seen in the halls. I sighed as I watched my classmates run by with grins on their faces. They were excited for the graduation ceremony, which everyone will be attending later; everyone… except me.

 

I bit my lip and pulled open the school door. Upon entering, I immediately slipped off my outdoor shoes and carried them to my locker. I stopped in front of my number and slowly raised my hand to unlock the locker that held so many memories dear to me.

 

My locker number was number 107. October 7th was the day Dai-chan confessed to me. Having a locker that corresponds to this number is a bit childish. Even Dai-chan thinks so- but he had it last year. This year, he gave me this locker and he took the one right next to mine- 108.

 

I let out a brief muffle as I felt my eyes water with overflowing memories.

 

How long has it exactly been? I remember all the Valentines Days when I was always afraid to give Dai-chan my chocolates. I always had self-confidence when it came to speeches, debates, and presentations. But when it came to Dai-chan, I was just completely hopeless- and I still am!

 

I glanced over at his locker and I smiled. I remember it always being filled on Valentines Day, along with all the other guys in our cheerful group. A small chuckle escaped my lips when I suddenly remembered White Day. Dai-chan had a surprised for me planned. He planned on taking me to the aquarium to see the penguins since I’ve always been obsessed over those adorable birds. He planned on asking me through flowers and a note since he was too embarrassed to ask in person. Rio-chan told me about that in advance. Never trust her with surprises! I didn’t believe her but then I saw some leaves sticking out of his locker. When he opened his locker, the note accidentally fell out and he was forced by those unfortunate events to ask me in person. He stammered a ton but I thought that was super cute. He doesn’t like it when I call him that though. Instead, he calls me cute all the time- Which always throws me off since I’m the student vice president. And you know, vice presidents need to have a strict image- NOT A CUTE ONE *^*

 

After slipping on my indoor slippers, I tugged on my book bag and headed for the stairs. It wasn’t long before I bumped into Hanna and Yabu.

 

“Ohayou!” I greeted with a smile.

 

“Ohayou!” Yabu greeted back.

 

I glanced at Hanna and I noticed her sad expression. It didn’t take a psychologist to realize that she wasn’t herself today.

 

“Hanna-chan?” I tried to grasp her attention.

 

Her sad expression continued and suddenly, she threw herself on me, almost knocking me to the floor. It wasn’t that she was heavy. In fact, she’s the lightest out of all of us. The smallest too, I believe. It just shows that the impact was so strong. She was really emotionally and I hugged her back.

 

“Graduation?” I asked in a soft voice.

 

She nodded back and soon enough, she started crying.

 

I panicked and I glanced at Yabu for help. His reaction made it seem as if this wasn’t the first time she broke down like this and that he had seen her in this state many times.

 

Hanna was much closer to Yabu compared to me so I was shocked that she felt like this. I had always thought Hanna was the super emotionally strong one. That’s when I finally realized that separation today would be difficult and that I’m not the only one experiencing this separation anxiety.

 

Yabu gently pulled her out of my grasp and into his arms. He held her tight and he kissed her hair. I bit my lip and my eyes met his. I deeply tried to convey my apologies and he shook his head trying to tell me that it wasn’t my fault. They were on their way to the back of the school to catch some fresh air.

 

“Don’t worry. We’ll always be together!” I assured Hanna.

 

She gave me a teary smile and I forcefully smiled back even though I, myself, was about to break down into tears. I bit my lip and faced the stairs. We all led busy lives and the only free time we had to see each other was during school hours. Now that school is ending, we won’t be able to see each other for a while… Even Hanna saw through my white lie.

 

I dragged myself up the stairs to the second floor and I peered through several classrooms on my way to visit the library. I saw many groups of students just hanging out before the ceremony. Some of the classrooms had bright atmospheres while the others had rather depressing ones. I saw Keito talking to Yuto in one of the classrooms. I didn’t want to disrupt their conversation but they saw me through the doors and invited me in.

 

“Oi, Amu-chan!” Yuto greeted, jumping off the desk he was previously sitting on to give me a friendly hug. 

 

“Whats up?” Keito greeted in English.

 

I giggled at their optimistic mood and I hugged Yuto back. “Hi guys! Are you two excited for the ceremony?”

 

“We’re happy to be graduating but upset at the same time.” Keito replied. “We wont see each other often but hey… it’s not every day that we get to graduate.”

 

“Un…” I nodded.

 

Yuto nodded his head as well and he gave me a pat on my shoulder. “So Miss Vice President, do you have your speech set?”

 

I froze upon hearing his question but I recovered quickly and nodded my head fast to make up for the time I spent spacing out. “Un! Of course!” I chuckled nervously.

 

“Why do you sound like that? You DO have it set right?” Yuto pressured.

 

“Of course! Of course!” I lied.

 

My heart grew heavy and I bit my lip. Once I realized what I subconsciously just did. I released my lip and I glanced at them, hoping they didn’t catch that. Recently, it’s been a bad habit of mine. Every time I make up a lie, I subconsciously bite my lip. The girls all know about that habit but the guys don’t... Unless they told them- which I highly doubt so.

 

I won’t be able to attend the ceremony later nor be able to give a speech. I wrote one just in case but it isn’t perfect. It wasn’t set. I had a small grain of hope that I would somehow be able to attend the ceremony… But that hope completely vanished yesterday when my father told me that I’ll be moving to New York. He knows I’m graduating with everyone today and hates to take that special event away from me but his hands were tied. Family situations forced us into this situation.

 

I zipped open my school bag and pulled out my folder.

 

“The speech is in here… But you all won’t hear it until later!” I giggled.

 

“See! I told you Amu-chan wouldn’t tell us about it!” Keito pouted.

 

“Don’t be like Chinen, Amu-chan! TELL US!” Yuto pouted alongside his companion.

 

I chuckled as I imagined Chinen running away from those two tall guys with his speech paper. Chinen was my role model. He manages so many extracurricular activities and he’s the Student President of the school. Sometimes I follow and admire him too much to the point that I get Dai-chan jealous. It was unintentional but Dai-chan’s pouting face is too adorable.

 

I glanced at my watch and then back towards them.

 

“Gotta leave soon?” Keito asked.

 

“I still have time but I just wanted to see everyone before the ceremony starts.” I said as if I was asking for permission to leave for a while.

 

“When you say ‘everyone’, you mean Dai-chan, don’t you?” Yuto teased me.

 

I feel myself blushing and I protested against him. “No!!! I still have everyone else I have to see.”

 

I stood there as the two broke into laughter but they finally released me from the “room of trolls”.

 

“See you later, Amu!”

 

“Can’t wait to hear that secret speech of yours!”

 

I nodded and smiled back. I slid close the classroom door behind me and I raised my head to blink away the tears.

 

This is so difficult…

 

I wiped away the excess tears and I took a deep breath before continuing to the library.

 

I knew Kim and Kei were in there. They always were. I opened the door and I was automatically greeted by two sets of arms.

 

“Oh my gosh! You two scared me!!” I exclaimed as they scared me with hugs.

 

“Amu-chan, we saw you cry a bit by the lockers before.” Kim comforted.

 

“Hugs are the best medicine.” Kei explained.

 

“Thank you, the both of you…” I felt myself tear up again.

 

“No! No! No! Don’t cry!” Kim panicked. She dug her hand into her skirt pocket and pulled out a soft white package “Here, some tissues! You don’t want to go up on that stage with puffy red eyes right?”

 

“Thanks!” I giggled. “You came prepared!”

 

“Well, this idiot was crying before too so I had to go out and buy some tissues just in case for later.” Kim explained.

 

I giggled again upon watching Kei pout. “Well if you allowed me to borrow your shoulder then I wouldn’t need tissues.” Kei said, hugging Kim from behind and placing his chin on her head.

 

“More like borrowing my entire body.” Kim boldly protested.

 

I stood awkwardly as I watched those two begin another lover’s quarrel. I’ll definitely miss these dog and cat fights.

 

“Amu-chan!” The two yelled in sync.

 

“HAI!” I immediately replied in surprise.

 

“Who’s right?” Kim asked.

 

“EHH?” I uttered.

 

“Kim is!” A familiar voice called out from behind. “She’s literally on Kei’s right.”

 

I turned around and found Rin and Hikaru standing by the doorway.

 

“No, Kei is.. They asked Amu so Kei would be standing on Amu’s right.” Hikaru debated.

 

“Do you want to start something too mister?” RIn threatened.

 

“SURE. But we’ll need a room first.” Hikaru smirked.

 

“SO UHM!” I blurted, frantically trying to divert the topic into a different direction.

 

“Oh! Amu-chan, don’t worry. We’ll get you a room too.” Hikaru assured.

 

I puffed my cheeks and fixated my gaze on a nearby table.

 

“Amu-chan, you’re really red… awww.. “ Rin exclaimed, hugging me tightly.

 

Upon hearing how red I was, I was pretty sure I grew even redder thinking about that fact. As soon as RIn released me, I slowly made my way to the door as the two couples chuckled at my nervous actions.

 

“Oh and Amu-chan!” Kim yelled out as soon as I opened the door.

 

I turned around and she had her fingers curled up into a fist.

 

“GANBARE!”

 

“Ganbatte Amu-chan!”

 

“Can’t wait to see you up there later!”

 

“You’ll do great!”

 

I bit my lip again and I gave them a firm nod.

 

“Arigatou… Minna…” I uttered before closing the door behind me. That would be the last time I’ll see you guys.

 

Wiping the nth tear away, I continued to the third floor hoping to find everyone else. I haven’t seen Dai-chan yet although he said he’d be early. I flipped open my phone and sent him a quick text asking for his whereabouts. After seeing the “delivered” message, I flipped close my phone and placed it in my skirt pocket.

 

“BOO!”

 

I jumped upon hearing the sudden yell from Yuki, Dai-chan’s younger sister. I was too occupied with my thoughts and she took an advantage of that. I really have to snap out of it *^*

 

“You scared the heck out of me!” I pouted, hugging her. “Where’s Hokuto?”

 

“Yuki, I don’t want to go back in there anymore!” Hokuto whined, coming out from a nearby home eco. Room. “oh, hi Amu-chan!”

 

“Hi…” I greeted back still confused of what was happening in that room.

 

“Here” Hokuto said, giving Yuki what seemed to be a cookie.

 

Yuki jumped in joy and took it in her grasp.

 

“What’s happening in there?” I asked.

 

“The two Yamadas are baking. One of them isn’t doing such a great job at it.” Hokuto replied.

 

I took several steps and peered into the room.

 

“Oh my gosh…” I exclaimed, throwing open the door. A thick burnt smell was present in the classroom and I rushed to turn on the air vent.

 

“I tried…” Rio pouted as she placed the tray of burnt cookies on the counter along side Yama’s perfected ones. I noticed that several from his tray were missing and I automatically assumed it was Yuki’s and Hokuto’s doing.

 

“It’s… uhm, you’re getting better!” I nervously chuckled right before biting my lip.

 

“Amu-chan…” Yuki called my name.

 

I glanced at her and she pointed at her lip. Right as soon I got the signal, I puffed my cheeks and slowly turned my gaze back at Rio who was pouting even more.

 

“I’ll help you guys clean up a bit!” I stated. However, as soon as I took a step forward, Yama stuck his arm out blocking me from proceeding.

 

“You have a speech later. You don’t want to dirty your uniform.” He said.

 

“Oh…” was all I uttered before receiving a warm smile from both of them.

 

“Ganbare, VP!”

 

“I know you’ll do great!”

 

I smiled in gratitude and turned around to face Yuki and Hokuto.

 

“We aren’t allowed to attend it so you have to tell us all about it later, okay?” Yuki stated.

 

“Of course…” I lied. I clenched my fingers into a fist to make sure I don’t bite my lip. I feel so guilty.

 

After they told me where Fai and Yuya were, I said my goodbyes and proceeded to the room next door.

 

I didn’t get a chance to talk to these two because they were having a sentimental moment. Yuya had Fai in his arms and that was a rare sight. Fai is completely against PDA so having moments like these were unusual. Once I realized that these two weren’t going to let each other go anytime soon, I came to a conclusion that I should let them be.

 

I headed back towards the stairs and opened the door to the rooftop. I took several steps onto the roof and pulled out my phone… There was one message and it was from Dai-chan.

 

I opened it with high hopes thinking that he would be at school already but I felt my heart drop when I saw the words “late” and “sorry” being used together in one sentence.

 

I’ll be leaving this school in 5 minutes to catch my flight and I was hoping to spend these last 5 minutes with him.

 

“Amu-chan?”

 

I turned around with a hopeful expression but that disappeared quickly too. What was I thinking? Dai-chan already said that he would be late to the ceremony… and the ceremony isn’t even until 15 minutes.

 

“Gomen… I’m not Daiki.” Chinen apologized, walking towards me.

 

I shook my head trying to tell him that he shouldn’t be the one apologizing. I was choking on my tears and I wasn’t able to utter a single word.

 

“What happened? Is it about graduating?” He asked in worry.

 

“No.. I don’t know.. Sorry..” I found myself blabbering. “I just don’t know what to feel right now.”

 

“Mixed emotions?”

 

I nodded and wiped my tears. The soft wind breeze aided me in the drying process. “I’ll be okay!” I smiled. “What are you doing here?”

 

“What? Can’t a guy spend the last hour as president at a peaceful place?”

 

“No! That’s not what I meant- uhm!” I frantically apologized.

 

Chinen chuckled at me and patted my head. “Go wash up and I’ll meet you here again to hang out a bit before the ceremony starts.”

 

“Okay…” I obeyed. However, after taking a step towards the staircase, I turned back and ran to Chinen for one last hug.

 

“Amu-chan?”

 

“Thanks, Chii…”

 

Slowly, I backed away and gave him one last assuring smile. Right after he smiled back, I proceeded completely down the staircase.

 

I slipped into a nearby bathroom and I changed out of my uniform. My hands were shaking and by this time, I was crying uncontrollably. This would be the last time I’ll be wearing this uniform. I quickly threw on a dress and a light jacket and folded my uniform into my bag.

 

With caution, I stepped out of the stall and then the bathroom in general. I ran to my locker and switched into my outdoor shoe, throwing my indoor ones into a plastic bag and then placing them in my bag.

 

I glanced at Dai-chan’s locker one last time and before I knew it, I was running out of the school doors and out the gates..

 

This was the last time I’ll ever pass these gates.

 

As soon as I made sure I can no longer be spotted by school officials, I slowed my pace down and I sat at a nearby bench to catch my breath.

 

A text was sent to my phone and I opened it.

 

It was from Dai-chan… He said he was on his way to school.

 

But it’s too late… I’ll never be able to see him again…

 

I’ll never be able to say my goodbyes.

 

I pulled out that used tissue Kim gave me and I wiped my tears for the nth time.

 

I have to go..

 

I took a deep breath and headed towards the airport where my flight and luggage were already waiting for me.

 

I thought I would be late but turns out I got there on time. They were calling my row and I handed them my ticket.

 

Soon enough, I was sitting at that window seat. I glanced out the tiny rectangular window hoping that my life was just a drama and that I’ll see Dai-chan soon.

 

But who am I kidding?

 

My phone vibrated again making it almost 50 times for the past 30 minutes. I couldn’t open any of the messages… I was afraid… I was afraid that I would change my mind at the last minute. My gaze never left the window. I stared at the terminal window hoping to catch a familiar face.

The plane began its route to take off and soon enough, the plane had lifted off from the runaway.

 

Goodbye Japan…

 

My tears rolled down my cheeks. I sobbed as I reached into my bag for that tissue. However, it was completely worn out and I frowned in dismay.

 

That was when the passenger on my left offered me a handkerchief.

 

“Oh..” I uttered.

 

I extended my hand out to reach it but I hesitated and then denied.

 

“It’s alright.” I assured. “I might dirty up your handkerchief.”

 

“If you don’t wipe your tears, how would you ever recognize the person sitting next to you?”

 

I froze upon the too familiar voice. My gaze landed every where for an answer except on the face of that passenger.

 

“It can’t be…” I whispered to myself. “Amu… stop daydreaming” I was afraid to look. I was afraid that my hopes would just shatter once more.

 

“You forgot this by the way.” And suddenly, a hand came into my view with the school’s uniform button on top of it.

 

It really can’t be…

 

I finally took that risk and glanced at that passanger.

 

Upon seeing who it was, I broke down completely and threw myself at him.

 

“Dai-chan… How…W-Why?” I cried, hugging him tightly.

 

I felt myself being wrapped in his embrace.

 

“We’re going to have our graduation with you in New York.” Dai-chan said.

 

I blinked my eyes and pulled away. “We’re..?” I asked in confusion. Does that mean someone else isn’t attending the graduation in Tokyo?

 

As soon as the seat belt light came off, I threw it off and stood up to glance about the cabin.

 

I covered my mouth in surprise when I found out that everyone had tagged along.

 

“Dai-chan..” I softly called, sitting back down next to him.

 

“Shhh.. Don’t cry.” He assured, wiping my tears away. “We’re together, and that’s all that matters.”

 

I nodded and right after, he began to kiss the remaining tears. I giggled slightly at the tingling sensation.

 

“I love you Dai-chan..” I boldly stated.

 

A cheeky smile was seen on his face. “I love you too, Amu-chan.”

 

He leaned in once more, but this time, aiming for my lips. I closed my eyes expecting the sensation on my lips but opened them once I heard a loud camera shutter.

 

“Why didn’t you mute that?!” Yama lectured Rio. Dai-chan and I pouted upon catching Rio red-handed with a phone in her hand, obviously with the camera aiming at us.

 

“This is YOUR phone, baka!” Rio protested.

 

Dai-chan and I chuckled upon their cuteness.

 

They’re going to be pushy but they’re my friends..

 

… And they’ll always be no matter where we go.