Handle

On the Right Track

Irene hates trains. She really really hates trains. They’re fast, loud, and unstable, and she already had enough of those adjectives in her life. However, she lost her carpool buddy when Wendy left for a vacation in Canada. Wendy and her maple syrup.

 

 

So here she is waiting in a crowded, dirty train station waiting for board the demon to hell so she wouldn’t miss her 10am class. She almost successes in tuning out all of the 40 year old balding businessmen yelling into their Samsung Galaxys when a thundering roar resounds from the tunnel and a bell chimes to signal the train’s arrivals. Almost unanimously, the men adjust their ties and grab their suitcases before rushing like a flood into the new train. Everyone else enters in a slightly slower speed and Irene joins them.

 

She successfully makes it inside without a lost limb and finds a seat near the door. The businessmen scatters themselves amongst the seats while some kinder ones give up their seats for little children and older grandparents.

 

Irene attempts to calm her racing heartbeat when a meek old grandma boards the train. Irene watches her look around and sees her body deflate at the lack of available seats. The businessman across the doorway from her purposely turns away from the old lady and resumes his oh so important business call.

 

Irene glares daggers into his back before grabbing her bag and getting up. that bald, four-eyed mannerless bastard.

 

She musters up a smile that’s too bright and fake for 9am. Using her sweetest voice, she addresses the cute grandma.

 

“Halmoni, please sit.”

 

The old lady beams at her in appreciation and Irene’s heart warms at the gesture.

 

Then the train jolts and her heart drops as she stumbles a bit.

 

Irene hates trains but she absolutely detests standing on one.


 

Another shaky ripple causes Irene to look up in search of something to hold on to for balance. She spies a dangling handle above her head and reaches for it. It’s just beyond her fingertips but still too high. her genetics.

 

Just then a longer arm grabs on to her handle. She looks over to see a taller girl with both of her arms up -- one hand on the girl’s own handle and the other on Irene’s.

 

This greedy, mocking .

 

Irene was about to verbally rip her to shreds in front of the cute grandma because it was way too early for this bull when the girl removes an earbud.

 

“Hey, grab on.”

 

Another jolt gives Irene the encouragement she needs so she begrudgingly holds onto the stranger’s bicep.

 

Irene takes a good look at the girl. She’s admittedly pretty with light brown hair in a ponytail that reveals her large ears. She kind of reminds Irene of a bear.

 

Irene was about to thank her, but the stranger uses the arm Irene wasn’t holding to reinsert her earbud and resumes tuning out the world.

 

this cute bear.

 

They stand quietly side by side for the rest of the ride. Irene tightens her grip whenever needed and the girl doesn’t seem to mind. The girl had even taken out some notes to review with her free arm.

 

The train pulls into a station 10 minutes later and Irene removes her arm. She bows to the stranger and the grandmother before taking her leave.

 

Stepping onto nice, stable, unmoving ground, Irene sighs. She has 20 minutes before class starts. She’s thinking about possibly getting some breakfast before she notices a familiar girl exiting the train. The girl’s eyes light up in recognition and she walks up to Irene.

 

“Hey you. Looks like we had the same stop. I’m Seulgi. Kang Seulgi. Seoul University. 1st year.”

 

So the girl was only a first year.

 

“Bae Joohyun. But you can call me Irene. 4th year.”

 

Seulgi smiles at her and Irene can’t help but admire her dimples.

 

“Well Unnie, as a repayment for using my arm as a handle, how about some coffee? Are you free right now?”

 

She holds out her arm to Irene jokingly.

 

Irene has to give it to the kid. Seulgi was cheeky. Irene grabs her arm which seems to startle the taller girl for a second before Irene leads her along.


“I’m free for 20 minutes. Ever heard of Coffee Prince?”