Chapter 5 - Shut it, peanut.

The Millionaire Matchmaker

CHAPTER 5 - SHUT IT, PEANUT.

warnings: alcohol and drunkness towards the end. also mild ual themes. nothing graphic at all, but just to be aware for those who may be particularly sensitive :)

Being around Jongin has become easier, Kyungsoo thinks. It has been a little over a month since Jongin and Kyungsoo swapped numbers, and their hesitant friendship of sorts is beginning to feel less intense and business-like. Kyungsoo knows that the friendship is supposed to be business focussed of course, after all he still has a match to find—a job he is supposed to be doing as impersonally as possible.

But it is hard. It’s hard to remain distant when dealing with a family like the Kims. Kim Heechul has the patience of a saint, and no qualms about Kyungsoo taking his time to find a match. He must know that Kyungsoo and his company can find matches in a matter of days, yet he doesn’t complain when Kyungsoo keeps returning to tell him that there has been no success thus far. Since Kyungsoo’s family are living oh so far away on the Korean coastline, it feels reassuring to have a father figure here in Seoul.

The secretary Kim Hyoyeon (whom Kyungsoo learns is actually Heechul’s niece) makes Kyungsoo’s life easy for him, helping him arrange meetings and organising files.

Even the staff that work in Mr Kim’s offices keep him smiling, often raising fists and giving quiet shouts of ‘hwaiting!’ when he looks nervous, or offering him cups of coffee when he looks particularly strained. Some even pop down to Ohranghae’s head offices if Kyungsoo hasn’t stopped by at Super Enterprises for a while. They are usually met with gasps of awe and excitement, plus first class service as Kyungsoo’s staff recognise them by their Super Enterprises labelled name badges. Even the Enterprises’ interns are treated with the celebrity treatment.

But as ever, it is Kim Jongin who commands most of Kyungsoo’s thoughts. They haven’t met in person since Kyungsoo had made the fateful decision to peck him on the cheek after the dance show, and he is somewhat grateful. Kyungsoo is confused, his emotions are everywhere and he honestly has no idea where he stands with Jongin, and doesn’t know how he would act should he see him in person.

They have texted, however. Kyungsoo has a relatively formal approach to texting, having really only used it to contact clients in the past. The only person he texts frequently is Minseok, and that’s only because the older can’t seem to wrap his head around simple applications such as Snapchat or Messenger. Jongin doesn’t use any form of social media, which Kyungsoo can understand. He is hounded by the press, and even completely private accounts are likely to be hacked into in a matter of weeks. Texting is much safer.

Kyungsoo writes in full sentences, with correct capitalisation and considered punctuation use.

Jongin writes with excessive exclamation points and question marks coupled with extensive emoji abuse.

 

Kyungsoo learns from a month of texting Jongin that the younger is generally very enthused with life. Having spent a childhood being trained to take over a company, even small things like balloon animals and pretty butterflies on colourful flowers spark a child like excitement in Jongin. He once spent half an hour texting his excitement to Kyungsoo because a barista had poured chocolate powder on his drink in the shape of a beautiful moon and stars.

Kyungsoo learns that Jongin has 3 dogs, which he commonly refers to as his children. Their names are Jjangu, Monggu and Jjangah, and Jongin has raised them and trained them for around four years now. Kyungsoo learns that Jongin misses them a lot when he has to work but it’s ok because housekeeper Joohyun looks after them. Jongin’s word vomit had continued late into the night, a seemingly never ending access to his thought stream.

Kyungsoo finds it alarmingly cute.

 

 

A few weeks after they begin texting, Jongin is the one who makes the first move into phone calls. Kyungsoo knows as soon as he hears Jongin’s breathy excited voice down the phone for the first time that he is a well and truly lost cause.

It becomes a habit after a while, an unwritten rule, to call in the evenings. They catch up on everyday things, what work was like, what they had for tea, what they were looking forward to tomorrow. These conversations certainly demonstrate the differences but also the similarities between the two.

While Kyungsoo will have tomorrow planned out thoroughly, all written neatly in his schedule, Jongin will have no clue what he’s doing until someone wakes him up and tells him. While Kyungsoo looks forward to Jongdae and Minseok coming over for dinner on Saturday night, Jongin has no idea when he and Sehun will go out and party together. Jongin’s work day is usually spent at his father’s side in meeting with some of the biggest names in international business and finance.

Kyungsoo’s day normally entails a few bits of paperwork and reviewing matches, then gossiping with Taeyeon for an hour when she brings him a cup of tea mid afternoon.

They both eat dinner at precisely 6:30pm. They both sit at their kitchen tables looking out over the city skyline, and they both eat alone. They both enjoy a cup of warm cocoa before bed, but Jongin likes scalding hot showers while Kyungsoo prefers them cooler.

Jongin sleeps on the right side of his bed, while Kyungsoo sleeps on the left. Kyungsoo can only sleep in a t shirt and boxers, whereas Jongin abhors wearing a top to bed so sleeps only in a pair of comfy checked pyjama bottoms or old sweatpants.

They both have overly loud, sassy best friends, and they both dislike noodles before lunch.

It’s an odd mix.

For both, their evening phone calls become a lifeline of sorts. They both express fears and doubts they would never dare say in public or write down in a message, and they both take a break from the outside world when it is just the two of them, curled up in their apartments on opposite sides of Seoul, chattering down the phone.

Kyungsoo will never admit it, but the phone calls and texts make him feel warm and gooey inside. His friends and work colleagues catch him sneaking peeks at his phone during the day, but they do not mention it.

Jongin will never admit it, but the phone calls and texts make him feel happy and normal. He feels his own age when he speaks to Kyungsoo, something he has never really felt before. Joohyun has come in many a morning to find Jongin asleep on the sofa, phone clutched in his hand and a smile on his face. She doesn’t mention it though, closing the door with a fond expression.

***

It is mid October and the day is sunny. The weather is currently one of Kyungsoo’s favourites, where it’s sunny and bright outside but the air is freezing and one needs to wrap up warm if you want to do anything outdoors.

Kyungsoo is still lounging around in a pair of loose trousers and a baggy top, even if it is way past lunchtime. It’s a Saturday, so he doesn’t have to go into work today and he has no intention of braving the cold.

A re-run of Friends is just about to begin on some crappy daytime channel, and Kyungsoo settles down eagerly to watch, uncaring of what a lonely old soul he may seem like. Friends has always been a guilty pleasure of his. Even though he has watched every episode enough times to be able to memorise the script, Kyungsoo loves sitting and watching, still laughing at all the jokes.

He is settled and enjoying his day-- that is until there is a knock on the door. Kyungsoo freezes momentarily. It can’t be Junmyeon or Yixing, because if it was about work they would just ring him. It can’t be Baekhyun, because said man is probably watching the Friends re run too. Chanyeol wouldn’t come on his own and it can’t be Luhan, Jongdae or Minseok because they all know Kyungsoo well enough to understand he is unreachable until at least late afternoon on Saturdays. 

The person knocks again, firmly. Kyungsoo stumbles off the sofa, deciding it’s most likely that Soojung has come up to deliver a parcel or something.

When he opens the door, there is no willowy stern faced girl before him, but a rather tall tanned skinned man. Kyungsoo’s jaw drops and Jongin grins.

“Afternoon, hyung!” Jongin says. His eyes flick down momentarily to Kyungsoo’s attire, and he sighs. “Get dressed come on!” he wails, letting himself into Kyungsoo’s house and pushing him towards the vague area where the bedroom is.

Kyungsoo will find time later to wonder why he is not protesting at him just pushing his way in, but for now he is preoccupied as Jongin throws himself full stretch across the sofa in his living room, long legs tangling and brow forming a line as he reads the Korean subtitles on the television.

“I am dressed...” he mutters, but still fumbles his way into some black jeans and a loose white tee.

 

When Kyungsoo reappears into his own living room, Jongin claps. “Much better, now come on, grab your coat!”

“Why?”

“Because we’re going to watch the gala on the Han River!” Jongin coos excitedly.

Kyungsoo dredges the corners of his mind for details, before eventually understanding that the gala was a charity event involving lots of differently designed small boats and yachts. The boats would sail in convoy down the river, then dock at the side and people could donate money to walk and look at them. The aim was to raise around 1 million won for a nationwide charity helping terminally ill children.

Jongin notices his hesitation and waves his camera enthusiastically. “We have to go hyung, it’ll start soon. Plus, Sehun’s going to be there on one of the boats that his dad sponsored, and you know it would be nice for me to have someone with me.” He singsongs, and Kyungsoo feels his resolve cracking. His hometown used to hold similar galas, and Kyungsoo tells himself the only reason he is picking up his coat and scarf and following Jongin out the door is because he has been hit by a sudden wave of nostalgia and not because chocolate eyes are slowly melting his soul.

He’s a er and he knows it.

***

There is no doubt in Kyungsoo’s mind that Jongin is a 5 year old. He skips between the boats as they are docked on the edge of the river, camera clicking and eyes bright as a squirrel.

When they spy a boat further down the boardwalk decorated like a giant poodle, Jongin grabs Kyungsoo’s arm and shakes it like a child. “Hyung, hyung, hyung, LOOK!”

Kyungsoo wants more than anything to groan and grump and demand to be taken home, but the voice in the back of his head stops him. It’s at times like this when Kyungsoo goes all dramatic American movie and starts thinking about life from a different angle or perspective or whatever the hell it’s supposed to be. He becomes less selfish, certainly, and he seems particularly giving when it comes to Jongin. He knows that Jongin will have to take over a company very shortly. No matter what happens, Jongin will inherit his father’s business, and he has big shoes to fill. Maybe he needs some time to let off a little steam.

Kyungsoo knows he is being silly and over romanticizing. Jongin’s probably never going to see Kyungsoo again after he finds a match for his father, but Kyungsoo has formed such an indescribable attachment to Jongin’s eye smiles that he feels the need to see as many as he can now before the only time he will ever be able to see them will be on the cover of a glossy magazine.

“Soo!” A high pitch squeal comes from the crowd. Kyungsoo pivots on his heel towards the source of the sound, and spies jet black hair standing head and shoulders above the crowd on a sleek yacht.

“Tao!” Kyungsoo replies, jogging his way over to embrace him. Kyungsoo and Tao had become astonishingly close over the past month as well. Tao was constantly on the end of the phone chattering about something or other, or he even turned up at Kyungsoo’s apartment every now and then to talk to Luhan in rapid-fire Mandarin, as that was the one thing he missed about home: being able to speak in his native language.

“Hyung!” an airy voice adds from round the front of the yacht. Sehun swaggers lazily down the deck towards them, glass of expensive champagne in his hand (typical). He is wearing a crisp white shirt (with the top button undone) and khaki trousers, his hair dyed to a slightly more natural looking hazelnut. His sunglasses are perched on the bridge of his nose, and his trademark sloppy grin is plastered on his face. “Long time no see.”

Kyungsoo laughs and tells Sehun he’s been busy with work.

“But you always spend time with Tao,” He pouts, “Ooh! And Jongin-ah of course...” He wiggles his eyebrows devilishly, and Kyungsoo blushes.

He stutters meaninglessly for a few seconds until Sehun cackles and nudges him gently. “I’m kidding, I’m kidding... but speak of the devil—“

“—Kyungsoo! You left me!” Jongin whines, tapping his way onto the boat.

Sehun smirks smugly and throws an arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulders. “Kyungsoo just prefers me to you I think... must be my good looks, good dress sense, amazing—“

Jongin glares and Sehun and pushes him a little too forcefully so he staggers back and his arm drops from Kyungsoo’s shoulders. “Shut it, peanut.”

Sehun’s smirk splits into a grin, and he begins to laugh obnoxiously as Jongin continues to pout. Jongin pushes him again and Sehun is in near hysterics, falling into the side of the yacht and clutching his stomach.

Jongin gives his friend one last glare, and takes Kyungsoo by the arm, leading him off the boat. “Come on hyung we’re leaving now.” He turns over his shoulder. “Just be glad you’ve got your bodyguard to protect you.” He huffs as they leave.

Kyungsoo pretends not to notice Tao’s snigger or Sehun guffaws as he is lead away.

***

Kyungsoo is drunk. Or maybe he’s just tipsy. He can’t remember how many drinks he’s had, but he does know that he is sitting in an empty booth in a Seoul nightclub lecturing a line of empty shot glasses about the Solar System.

“In th’ sky, there—there is a star called Jupiter... wait, Jupiter isn’t a... never mind. But it’s huge. Like MASSIVE!”

After Jongin had dragged him away from Sehun’s yacht, Kyungsoo had made some throwaway comment about him and Sehun being as mature as a pair of seven year old school girls, and another wonder at how they were so frequently pictured with women leaving night clubs when all they seemed to do was bicker and giggle together.

A strange expression had come across Jongin’s face then, a more predatory, tempting look. His voice dropped a little and he breathed out.”Oh Kyungsoo... Looks like I’ll have to show you then.”

With a red face and a thick throat, Kyungsoo had received instructions to get himself to a nightclub in Seoul in the later hours of the evening, where he had met Jongin.

Seeing Jongin in casual clothes had done some interesting things to Kyungsoo’s biology. He’d seen Jongin in casual clothes before, like when they went to the gala, but this was something different. Jongin had looked effortlessly lean and so much bigger than Kyungsoo as he leant on a drainpipe outside the club. His long legs were in tight skinny jeans, and a black shirt was hidden by a sleek leather jacket. He had a black, white and red checked shirt tied round his waist and a black snapback on his head, scruffy brown hair hidden except for a few flicks at the edges. He had wordlessly lead Kyungsoo inside, and ordered them some drinks, a devilish smirk on his face.

“So, proving I’m not a ‘seven year old girl’ then...” he had said smugly. Kyungsoo had nodded his head dumbly, transfixed by the way Jongin’s throat bobbed as he spoke.

What happened in between was still somewhat of a mystery to Kyungsoo, but he knew for definite that the drinks had not stopped flowing, Jongin had disappeared and now he was drunk. Hella drunk.

Kyungsoo decides it’s probably best if he gets up and goes to dance. His shot-glass audience isn’t being particularly responsive, and the flashing strobes and pounding bass are already making him tap his toes even if he isn’t a natural dancer.

The floor is packed already, with strangers writhing in a tangled mass of limbs and glasses of alcohol. Kyungsoo pushes his way into the crowd, and settles for a spot that gives him at least some room. He is by no means a natural dancer, so settles for smoothly swaying his hips to the beat and bobbing his head gently.

He gets into a flow a bit more, waist twisting and feet tapping and before he realises, there is a body pressing into his front.

The man before him is tall and broad, appearing faceless as Kyungsoo cranes to get a better look at him. The man steps around Kyungsoo and presses his chest against Kyungsoo’s back. His hands clutch Kyungsoo’s hips and he rocks them together so they are grinding sloppily.

Kyungsoo is fractionally uncomfortable with the whole situation. He doesn’t feel right grinding so openly, especially not with a stranger. Plus, the man’s grip is becoming a little too tight; the beery breath on the back of Kyungsoo’s neck a little too hot and the leer in the man’s blank eyes is becoming intimidating.

Kyungsoo subtly tries to shuffle away, but the man’s hands slide to his waist and squeeze, yanking him back. Kyungsoo squeaks, half in pain and half in fear, but he tries not to show his fright. “P-please, I need to leave now.” He stutters.

The man gives a cold laugh, and he tightens his grip on Kyungsoo again. “Not so fast sweetie... I’m enjoying our little dance.” He continues to against him and even in his drunken state Kyungsoo knows that this is getting out of hand. The man is a lot bigger and stronger than him, and Kyungsoo briefly wonders if he may be stuck with the man all night. He shudders at the thought.

The man begins to pant uncomfortably loudly in Kyungsoo’s ear, and Kyungsoo is getting scared. He really really does not want this, but the man is not willing to let go.

Hot tears escape his eyes as Kyungsoo looks around frantically, struggling against the hold, but everyone is busy dancing.

Suddenly, the stifling heat from behind him is gone, and it is replaced by a firm grip on his elbows. “Get off him.” A voice hisses.

Kyungsoo gasps and looks up. Jongin has appeared out of nowhere, looking incredibly attractive as his face and collarbones glisten with sweat. Kyungsoo vaguely recalls people cheering and wonders if Jongin had gotten himself into a dance battle or something. If so, he was feeling slightly annoyed to have missed it.

Jongin pulls Kyungsoo towards him again; so that Kyungsoo’s face is nearly crushed into his chest.

“But I want to dance with pretty boy—“ Kyungsoo does not turn to look at the man, but hears his voice and shivers.

Jongin has an arm around his waist that tightens in an instant. Kyungsoo feels someone try to grasp the back of his jacket, but Jongin yanks him inwards and hisses a sharp “Mine.”

Kyungsoo is sure he misheard the younger, but instead of questioning it settles for pressing his ear against Jongin’s chest to listen to his heartbeat and settle his breathing. He looks up to the underside of his jaw and traces the outline, itching to reach up and caress it. He halts when he registers Jongin commanding some security guards to remove the man who was harassing Kyungsoo. Evidently, being heir to a company means you get favours when you’re in clubs.

The man yells drunkenly and protests but he is removed soon enough and Kyungsoo breathes easily again.

 Jongin removes them from the dance floor and huddles them into a corner, standing protectively in front of Kyungsoo and watching over his shoulder as the guards give him a nod, signalling the man is long gone.

He turns back to Kyungsoo and looks down at him softly. “Are you Ok?”

“Y-yeah, just a little shaken.”

Jongin shuffles forwards a little, so his and Kyungsoo’s fronts are almost touching. “I’m sorry. I never should have left you. If I’d been there that guy wouldn’t have been able to—“

“Jongin, please.” Kyungsoo says, pressing a hand to his chest. “It wasn’t anyone’s fault.” He suddenly feels a lot more sober now, as he stands and looks into Jongin’s eyes steadily.

Jongin is still wearing his snapback, expression unreadable. His jaw is clenched, but his eyes seem soft.

Then, hesitantly, almost as if approaching a wild animal, Jongin lifts his hand. Kyungsoo is effectively trapped against the wall, but Jongin has left him enough room to sidestep round and run if he wants to. Kyungsoo doesn’t move though, waiting.

Jongin’s hand rests just along Kyungsoo’s cheekbone. He drags his fingers there lazily, his eyes mapping the way Kyungsoo’s chubby cheek dips under his fingers and a hot flush spreads under his fingertips.

Kyungsoo draws in a shaky breath, and Jongin’s hand lingers. Kyungsoo’s mind flickers back to when Jongin had pressed Kyungsoo to his chest and whispered that oh-so-dangerous “Mine.” He lets out a small whimper at the thought, his eyes fluttering down to gaze at Jongin’s plush lips.

Jongin breathes heavily. The sound of the club is almost drowned out around them; a blur like when you’re underwater and the water fills your ears, muffled and dull.

It is only them and their breathing that fills the space.

Jongin steps forward again, and Kyungsoo’s back is pressed against the wall, Jongin’s chest against his front. His eyes are flickering down to Kyungsoo’s lips, back to his eyes and then flitting across his face before glancing back to his lips again. His hand comes up to cup Kyungsoo’s jaw, thumb caressing his cheek. He looks unsure of something, as if there is something he cannot decide whether to do or not. “You’re so—“

His expression changes when Kyungsoo in a breath, eyelids fluttering as he stares at Jongin’s lips again. Before Kyungsoo can register anything, Jongin is leaning forward.

Their lips meet somewhere in the middle, and Kyungsoo almost moans at the gentleness of it. Jongin’s lips are soft and warm, his hand strong against his cheek. Jongin’s other hand comes up to brace itself on the wall behind Kyungsoo’s head, and Kyungsoo’s own hands come up to tangle in Jongin’s soft hair.

The kiss continues as Jongin’s tongue gently asks for entry against Kyungsoo’s mouth. Kyungsoo opens willingly and his eyes roll back into his head slightly when Jongin’s tongue presses against his and his teeth gently on Kyungsoo’s lower lip. Jongin crowds into Kyungsoo, both his hands now cupping his jaw and pulling him in.

Kyungsoo’s own arms have slid to lock themselves around Jongin’s neck in a hug and Jongin’s knee is pushed in between Kyungsoo’s thighs, holding him up. Jongin’s mouth continues to plough against Kyungsoo’s, like he can’t seem to get enough of Kyungsoo’s taste or touch.

Unlike the man who grinded against Kyungsoo, the almost unbearable heat from his kiss with Jongin was something different entirely. This type of heat sent his stomach squirming with want and fireworks exploding behind his eyelids. There was no fear or need to escape from the press of Jongin’s torso, only the need to huddle closer, hold tighter and receive more, more, more.

Jongin groans lightly as Kyungsoo backs further into the wall, submitting more and letting Jongin take control. Kyungsoo feels like he is about to lose his mind; he wants to continue but doesn’t think he’ll be able to stand the heat.

Jongin pulls back suddenly, their lips breaking with a soft sound. “Beautiful.” Jongin sighs, forehead resting against Kyungsoo’s and eyes closed. His arms are braced on the wall either side of Kyungsoo’s head again, and Kyungsoo can’t resist the power and strength Jongin emits.

Jongin pushes off from the wall and rubs his thumb briefly across Kyungsoo’s swollen and spit-slicked lower lip. He shudders when it pops back into place, and then his lips, eyes hungry.

He takes a step back, and takes one long look at Kyungsoo. He shuts his eyes in an almost pained expression, then turns and walks away swiftly, merging into the dark and vanishing.

Kyungsoo presses a shaky hand on his chest, heart hammering beneath his palm, mouth agape.

I just kissed Kim Jongin. 

 

 

 

 

twitter

curiouscat