Ch 1. What Are You, Park Jimin?

My Manager, Mr. Meanie

 

Seven years into the company and Yoongi had made it to the manager’s position in his team. He remembered his intern days… and they ! He was under the cruel Mr. Park who chewed on people like they were pieces of gum – disposed of as soon as he was done the soul out of them. And when he was promoted and sent to the headquarters, Yoongi felt like it was the best day of his life. But of course, the excitement was short-lived.

 

When Yoongi finally made it into the company as a full-time employee, he was placed in Resource Team #3.

 

‘WELCOME TO HELL’ was written all over the place in invisible ink that only Yoongi’s eyes could detect. But what was new anymore? Yoongi knew this was office life, and earning a salary was and would never be an easy task – not in the capitalist society he lived in.

Of course, Yoongi’s skills were no joke and although it was tough, he made it. From a mere intern, to a full-time employee, to assistant manager and then finally, the manager of Resource Team #3. And since Yoongi could sympathize with the pain of being an intern, he decided not to be an like Mr. Park. That didn’t mean he wasn’t strict, but he just wasn’t a pain in the .

Yoongi was known as all the previous and current interns’ most desired manager to work with if they got hired as a full-time employee. He would never yell, never scream, was always patient and helped out the poor souls with whatever they had problems with.

 

That was the case until the newest intern arrived at their team.

 

“Hello, my name is Park Jimin. I’m here as the new intern. Please take care of me!” the bright haired boy bowed 90 degrees in front of the team.

 

Yoongi looked up from the document he was holding.

 

“Get out!” was the first thing that came out of Yoongi’s mouth. It wasn’t loud but it was loud enough to gather the attention of the Sales Team #2 next to theirs.

 

“Pardon?” Jimin looked wide-eyed at Manager Min who avoided all possible eye contact.

Slamming the files onto his already messy desk, Yoongi sneered at the poor intern. “I said get out!

Are you deaf?”

 

Jimin simply bowed and went to the break room.

 

“Min Manager, what’s wrong with you?” the other team’s Manager, Mr. Kim got up from his own seat and walked over to Yoongi.

Yoongi realized what he had done at that moment. He had let his emotions take over and disrupt his work. What was he thinking? But more importantly, what was that Park Jimin doing as an intern at Yoongi’s company, let alone his team.

 

-

 

“I heard he slacked off after high school and got into the company through connections!” Yoongi overheard the other interns talking amongst each other during break time.

 

“Ms. Kim,” Yoongi called over the assistant manager from his desk. “Tell the new intern to come back and get to work.”

 

“Yes, sir.” She replied, and started punching numbers into her phone.

A few minutes later, intern Jimin came running towards the opening of their team’s section. “Park Jimin, the intern is here, sir.” He bowed once again. Yoongi swallowed the spite in his throat.

 

“Parachute* Jimin,” Yoongi called out to the intern, surprising the male. “I meant, Park Jimin.” He cleared his throat. “Go and buy a pack of cigarettes for me.”

 

Jimin blinked in realization and then quickly responded, “Yes, sir.”

 

(*Parachute: someone who got into the company through connections, the easy way – the term they use in Korea is nak-kha-sa which translates to “parachute”)

 

-

 

Jimin looked at the other interns running back and forth with cups of coffee, piles of files and papers, running to the copier and taking calls at their designated tables. He didn't hope for much, though. All he wanted was something to do. He sat at his chair, next to an empty desk that was clearly meant for the intern. But he wasn't given permission to use it. According for Manager Min, it was off limits. Jimin’s obeyed of course and quietly watched everyone around him, feeling invisible. It was obvious that Manager Min, Yoongi, still disliked him. He just wasn’t sure why. But he didn’t think to question it. Not in his circumstances.

 

“Jimin,” He quickly stood up at the sound of his name. “Can you get me 10 copies of this?”

 

The smile it brought to his face was soon replaced with a dejected look once he heard Manager Min’s voice, “Ms Kim, send someone else to do that.”

 

“Huh?” she blinked and turned to the manager. “But it's Jimin’s jo-”

 

“-I get to decide what his job is. Park Jimin,” Yoongi said without shifting his gaze from the files in his hand.

 

“Yes, sir?” he instantly responded.

 

“Go and clean the washroom.”

 

“Umm…”

 

“Is there a problem?”

 

“N-no, I'll go and do that right away.” Jimin bowed and quickly advanced towards the men’s washroom.

 

-

 

Yoongi made sure to ignore the looks of disapproval he got everytime he put Jimin on a task. Mostly because it had nothing to do with work. If it wasn't making coffee for every single person on their floor, or fetching water for them whenever they needed, then it was running outside errands that involved picking up Yoongi’s dry cleaning or washing another manager’s car.

 

Maybe Yoongi was being cruel and unfair but he just couldn't stand looking at that face. He had to keep Park Jimin out of his sight no matter what.

 

It was strange though, Yoongi thought, that Jimin actually never complained and did as he was told. He didn't look angry or refuse any tasks given to him. Yoongi wondered how far this Park Jimin would be willing to go to protect his position.

 

“But honestly, you're being way too harsh. What has he ever done to you, Manager Min?” asked Manager Kim as the two sat down for coffee on the rooftop.

 

Yoongi took a sip of his cheap instant coffee and scrunched his nose. “People like him think that life is all fun and games. I'm just trying to teach him a valuable life lesson.”

 

Manager Kim clicked his tongue, “You know he's only two years younger than you. You don't need to treat him like a child. Anyways, just don't go too far with it all. He might just crack one day and that would be all on you.”

 

Yoongi smirked. And that's exactly what I'm waiting for.

 

[13 years ago]

 

“He rejected another girl this morning. Should I asked her out?”

 

“idiot, do you think she'll choose you over him?”

 

“I'm so jealous of that pimp. He's not even that great I don't know what they see in that shortie!”

 

Yoongi groaned as he buried his head into his arms. He was tired and it was self study time. His friends were busy gossiping about that guy again. That one guy who apparently all the girls had eyes on. Yoongi couldn't care less though. He had seen the guy once and sure he was cute or whatever but nothing special to him.

 

-

 

“Would you go out with me?” Yoongi dropped the basketball and it rolled all the way to the girl’s feet.

 

! His cover was blown. He wanted to run away but his body froze as soon as the girl and guy turned towards him. He was unsuccessfully hiding behind a tree near the basketball court.

 

It wasn't like he meant to eavesdrop but he just so happened to be passing by when he came across the situation. Yet another girl confessing to the infamous Park Jimin.

 

Yoongi bit his lower lip as he blinked rapidly, trying to come up with a plan make an escape.

 

“I'm really sorry,” Jimin quickly turned to the girl and bowed. “I have someone I like.”

 

Yoongi took this as an opportunity to make a run for it. He ended up back at the court, trying to catch his breath as his heart pounded aggressively.

 

-

 

“I have someone I like.”

 

The image wouldn't leave Yoongi’s mind and it was driving him insane. Why was he so invested in someone’s love life and why did he have to end up in that awkward situation?

 

Yoongi groaned as he shoved another piece of egg roll into his mouth. Lunch time was almost over and he decided he'd rather not spend it in vain over some freshman. He was a junior. He didn't have time for petty things like confessions or dating.

 

-

 

“Sunbae?” Yoongi almost shivered as the familiar voice sent chills down his spine.

 

He turned around and in front of him was Park Jimin, the short boy with black hair and sharp eyes that had a hint of innocence to them. His glasses added to the model student look that girls at their high school swooned over.

 

“Yoongi sunbae?” he asked. His voice was soft and fragile. Yoongi almost felt like it was overwhelming because it sounded too good to waste.

 

Yoongi cleared his throat. “Yeah?”

 

“I came to return this.” Jimin lifted the plastic bag in his hand.

 

“And that is?”

 

“You dropped it that day.”

 

Yoongi took the bag and looked inside. His basketball. I'm the biggest idiot!

 

“Look, I'm sorry about that, it was j-”

 

“Don't worry. I understand.” Jimin smiled and Yoongi’s cheeks suddenly felt incredibly hot. “I'll be leaving now.”

 

“T-thanks…”

 

-

 

“Did you hear?”

 

“About Park Jimin? Yeah man I'm so happy. Now all the girls can finally give it a rest and look at the rest of us.”

 

Yoongi hated gossip but suddenly he was interested in what he was hearing. “What are you guys blabbering about?”

 

“Well, I heard that Jimin is gay. He likes some guy in our grade.” his friend replied.

 

“Who told you that?” Yoongi couldn't believe his ears.

 

“The word goes around. Apparently he told it to the girl who confessed to him recently.”

 

No way…

 

-

 

Yoongi slipped off his indoor shoes, placing them into his locker as he took out his outdoor shoes and an umbrella. His mom was right. It did start raining heavily in the afternoon. Yoongi could have avoided the rain entirely if he went home on time but today was his turn to clean the classroom. It was half past six and school was almost entirely empty. Of course it only took him 30 minutes to clean the classroom but the other hour was spent on his well deserved nap. He hadn't had one during self study that day because he was busy staring out the window, wondering what exactly the infamous Park Jimin’s crush would look like. If the rumor was true and it was a guy from his year, he wondered who it would be. Kim Seokjin from Class A? He did have a lot of male admirers after all. Or maybe Jung Hoseok from Class E? Apparently he was close to Jimin and the were both part of the dance club. Not that Yoongi cared or anything. He was just bored and that's what everyone in his class was talking about, anyway.

 

As he made his way towards the school's front doors, he noticed someone standing under the shade of the building. When Yoongi got closer, he noticed it was Jimin. His heart beat suddenly sped up and he decided to quickly open his umbrella and leave before an awkward encounter arose.

 

He was halfway across the street when he stopped in his tracks. He quickly turned around and ran back to the school building. Jimin was still standing there, leaned against the wall. His body was slightly shivering and Yoongi sighed as he walked over to him.

 

“Are you waiting for someone?” he asked, lowering his umbrella.

 

Jimin shook his head. “Just waiting for the rain to stop…”

 

“No umbrella?”

 

He shook his head again.

 

“Wanna share?” Yoongi asked.

 

Jimin’s eyes suddenly lit up as he looked at him, “if it's not a bother…”

 

“Then let's go.” Yoongi pulled the umbrella back over his head and Jimin slowly walked over.

 

The two began to walk and Yoongi noticed the Jimin’s shoulder was getting wet. He was standing too far. He moved closer to the boy. Jimin flinched slightly as their shoulders pressed against each other.

 

“No point of an umbrella if you get wet anyway,” Yoongi mumbled and Jimin giggled. Yoongi felt his heart skip a beat at that sound.

 

-

 

“He's here, oh my gosh, he's here!”

 

“Oh geez, what now?”

 

“Park Jimin is outside our classroom and all the girls are doing beserk”

 

“What?” Yoongi’s head shot up from his desk as he looked at the bunch of guys talking to each other in front of the classroom door.

 

“Oh he's coming this way.” one of the boys commented.

 

Yoongi reached for his water bottle to grab a drink and calm himself. It probably has nothing to do with me, he assured himself.

 

“Hey, Yoongi,” said the loudest of the group of boys, “Park Jimin is looking for you!”

 

Yoongi choked on his water.

 

-

 

“What do you want?” The words came out harsher than Yoongi had intended. He looked down at the slightly shorter male. Was he pouting? Oh my God…

 

Jimin looked up, “I just wanted to say thank you for the other day, and uh, give you this…” he handed a plastic bag Yoongi, who hesitantly accepted, being under the eye of everyone in the hallway and their classroom since he was standing in the doorway, leaning against the door frame while Jimin stood outside.

 

“What is this?”

 

“it's uh, just, um… I have to go!” Jimin his feet and began to run.

 

Yoongi could only watch with his jaw hanging. What the is wrong with this kid?

 

-

 

Yoongi’s friends wouldn't stop teasing him but that didn't stop him from stuffing his face with the burger Jimin had gotten him. He wasn't entirely sure why Jimin was giving him food but free food was free food so he wasn't complaining, or at least not until his friend opened his mouth again.

 

“You do know you're the one he's gay for, right?”

 

Yoongi almost choked on his last bite. He gave the finger to his friend before going in for his usual lunchtime nap.

 

But he couldn't sleep. His precious sleep had been stolen by Jimin and his actions which lead to his friends’ presumptions, which were now actually beginning to bother him - a lot.

 

-

 

Yoongi didn't need to but he stayed behind anyways. It was raining again and he had his umbrella - his mom should work for the weather forecast he thought. Students left, one by one, until everyone was gone. Then, at the corner of his eye, he spotted the person he had been waiting, no, just happened to see. It's not like I'm waiting for him or anything. Definitely not!

 

And sure enough, Jimin didn't have an umbrella. He stood there, under the shade as he watched the rain. He stretched his arm outwards and spread his tiny palm, feeling the droplets of water fall on his soft skin. Yoongi noticed how cute and tiny his hands were for a guy. Wait, no, not cute!

 

Yoongi waited till he couldn’t see anyone else in sight before walking towards Jimin.

 

“Hey,” Yoongi started, “do you like getting sick?”

 

Jimin almost lost his balance when he suddenly heard Yoongi’s voice. He stood up straight and tried to fix his hair. “Um, I..”

 

“You don't have an umbrella, do you?”

 

Jimin looked up at Yoongi and then down again, shaking his head.

 

Yoongi sighed, but somehow he felt kinda happy too. What the heck?

 

“...do you… wanna share?” Yoongi asked.

 

Jimin’s head shot up, his cheeks rosy and eyes glimmering with hope. He nodded and Yoongi almost had a heart attack that day.

 

-

 

“Thank you, hyung.” Jimin said as they arrived in front of his house. His voice was small and precious and a bit shaky because of the cold.

 

Yoongi looked away from the younger boy and cleared his throat, “I'm only doing this because you got me that burger.”

 

Jimin opened his door and stepped inside hallway before turning around, a timid smile on his face. “Then I guess I should buy you one everyday…”

 

And with that, he ran inside, leaving a dumbfounded Yoongi in the rain.

 

-

 

Maybe it was the weather or maybe it was Jimin’s bright smile as he sought out Yoongi during lunch again, but he felt extremely warm and fuzzy - happy, even.

 

“Your little boyfriend came again?” His friends loved to tease and Yoongi figured it was useless defending himself every single day so he chose to ignore it. Instead, he focused his energy on the good things in life, like the lunches Jimin made or his round cheeks and eyes that disappeared every time he smiled.

 

And today, Jimin had worked up the courage to ask Yoongi to eat lunch together on the rooftop. Yoongi said, “whatever,” to which Jimin just smiled again and went ahead. Now Yoongi was gathering his belongings like his wallet and cellphone, just because he didn’t trust his classmates.

 

When he reached the rooftop, after excitedly climbing a few flights of stairs, he looked around and saw Jimin sitting at the very corner, next to a blonde haired guy. Yoongi felt a pang on his chest. Who the hell is that?

 

Yoongi’s face turned sour at the sight of the blonde male acting a bit too friendly with Jimin, and he could feel heat rising to his face. He cleared his throat as he walked towards the two. Jimin suddenly looked up and smiled. The other guy got up as soon as he noticed Yoongi’s sour expression and patted him on the shoulder before leaving. He was tall, handsome, and Yoongi suddenly felt a bit insecure.

 

“Sit down, hyung.” Jimin patted the ground next to him, and Yoongi just stared at the boy. What are you, Park Jimin?

 

Yoongi hesitantly sat down and Jimin placed a bento on his laps.

 

“I hope you like it…” his voice suddenly became hushed and small. Yoongi wasn’t sure what exactly Jimin was doing but it made him feel strange.

 

-

 

“Are you going out with Park Jimin?”

 

“You crazy?”

 

“Good. I saw him making out with some blonde dude the other day… I think you should stay away from him.”

 

What?

 

-

 

Yoongi’s parents were more than happy to move him to a new school. They had been bothering him about it for the longest time anyway since they didn’t approve of the previous one. Something about the national ranking not being high enough or something. Yoongi could care less though. He just never wanted to face Park Jimin again.

 

-

 

[Present]


 

Yoongi called the entire team of interns together. That also included Park Jimin. He stood there in the corner, his bright red hair standing out in the crowd like crazy and his glasses still giving him the look of a 16 year old. It pissed Yoongi off. He twisted his mouth and looked away from the eyesore. “I want you guys to split into teams of 3. The team with the most sales by the end of the week will get to do their final presentation at the seminar. Are we clear?”

 

“Yes, sir.”

 

“Dismissed.”

 

-

 

Jimin frantically looked around, hoping for some kind soul to let him join the team but no matter where he looked, it was impossible to find anyone who wouldn’t avoid him.

 

He gave up hope when everyone seemed to have paired up with someone. He walked towards the break room, hoping to get his lunch break before he got called again to do some meaningless task again. He opened the fridge and noticed his lunch box missing. Instead, there was a yellow sticky note on the spot he had placed his lunch. He picked it up and read it.

 

“I accidently ate your lunch before realizing it wasn’t mine… It was sooo good though! I owe you a favour now. Here’s my number: 009-12490.

 

Ps. your cooking is amazing!”

 

Jimin didn’t know whether to be angry, or to laugh. It was so ridiculous. He took out his cellphone and called the number. He wanted whatever favour this person could offer before he or she went back on their word.

 

“Management Department, this is Kim Taehyung, how may I help you?”

 

“Um… did you eat my lunch?” Jimin asked into his phone.

 

A small laugh came from the other side, “You guessed it! Can we meet in person? I want to apologize. Where’s your department?”

 

“I’m in Resource team #3… Park Jimin,”

 

“Alright, Jimin-ssi. I’ll see you in a bit. Bye~”

 

“Bye…?”

 

-

 

“Where’s the intern?” Mr. Kim asked Yoongi as he walked over and sat down next to him.

Yoongi groaned, rolling his eyes, “don’t know, don’t care.”

 

“I don’t think he’ll be able to find a team if everyone’s outcasting him like this. He’s your responsibility, you know?” Mr. Kim said.

 

Yoongi scoffed, “whatever. He’ll figure it out. If he can’t even mobilize a team then he’s not suited to work here.”

 

Mr. Kim just shook his head, “you love torturing that poor thing, don’t you?”

 

Yoongi ignored him and got up from his desk.

 

“Where are you going?”

 

“If the useless intern can’t get me some coffee, I have to get it myself, don’t I?” Yoongi responded as he walked towards the break room but halted as soon as Jimin walked in. They both froze and looked at each other. Jimin avoided Yoongi’s gaze and looked down at the ground. Yoongi found this the perfect chance to knock some sense into him. He opened his mouth but was shut down completely when a loud, “Park Jimin-ssi?” rang through the entire floor, garnering everyone’s attention.

 

Yoongi watched wide-eyed as Jimin turned around to face the source of the sound. Yoongi saw a blonde haired male walk up to Jimin and smile like it was nobody’s business. Small gasps could be heard throughout the office as some people seemed to have recognized this person.

 

Suddenly Mr. Kim stood up and rushed over to where Jimin, Yoongi and the loud person were standing. He bowed a full 90 degrees, “Managing Director Kim, what brings you down here?”

 

The so called managing director smiled a box grin before bowing himself, “ah, please, don’t be so formal. I told you to call me Taehyung.”

 

“You’re Kim Taehyung?” Jimin suddenly said, and Taehyung straightened up and nodded, again with a huge grin.

 

“And you must be Park Jimin.” He said, bringing his hand forward. “Thanks for the food.”

 

Yoongi was speechless as he watched the mess unfold and before he knew it, this Kim Taehyung was leading Jimin out of their office section and he could do nothing about it. He felt his blood boiling at that. Park Jimin, what exactly are you?

 


A/N

This has been a work in progress for the longest time... I don't know why it took me so long. Anyways, as always, my originally intended oneshot has once again turned into a chaptered story.

Hopefully you guys enjoy it! Please give this story an "upvote" to show your support. Also, make sure to leave a comment and let me know what you thought of it so far. Fun fact: leaving comments give you, the commenter, karma points too so please dooooo comment. It motivates me to write. Thank you so much everyone. See you in chapter 2!

Until then, author-nim out~