Chapter 1

Light (To My Darkness)

An annoying loud beeping melody blasted in the room. The owner of the room groaned, sleepily reaching out her smartphone under the pillow, tapping the snooze button immediately before smiling to herself and went back to sleep. However, her happiness only lasted a minute as the door to her room slammed open.

“Kim Sehyun! Wake up!”

The girl – Sehyun – groaned sleepily before burying herself deep in the duvet, hopefully tuning out her brother’s annoying voice.

“If you think you can stay in bed longer by ignoring me, think again!” Joonmyun, Sehyun’s elder brother by 4 years, clicked his tongue before pulling the duvet away from his lazy younger sister.

“Oppa!” Sehyun whined, grabbing the duvet and pulled back, resulting in a short tug of war to happen in the pink bedroom.

“I swear to god Kim Sehyun if you don’t wake up this instant I’m going to take away all of your Kai albums and donate them to charity!!” Joonmyun threatened with his strict military voice of his.

“Ok ok I’m awake! I’m awake!” Sehyun groaned for the nth time that morning, sitting up and glared at her brother with her eyes closed (it’s scary how she got the direction right even with her eyes closed).

“Be ready in 10 minutes if you don’t want to be late for school!” with that, Joonmyun left the bedroom.

Joonmyun was currently the man of the house, since their parents are away on their business trip in Hong Kong – specifically Mr Kim, Mrs Kim just tagged along for the fun of it – for 4 months. It was quite annoying, because Joonmyun is more firm and strict than both of their parents combined. Well, Sehyun is the youngest in the family therefore she was the spoiled one, being the only girl and all. Joonmyun on the other hand was disciplined well by their father.

In 10 minutes, Sehyun managed to shower quickly and put on her ironed uniform – white collared blouse with a black cardigan over and green checkered skirt, along with a red ribbon around the collar. It’s just a normal high school in Seoul – Kyunggi High School. She quickly grabbed her bagpack and left her room, before walking out to the dining table for breakfast.

Joonmyun was a decent cook, at least he can cook unlike Sehyun herself. The elder brother had prepared fried eggs, kimchi and fried anchovies. After eating, Sehyun hugged her elder brother goodbye and wore her school shoes and headed out for a day of school.

Sehyun walked to the bus stop with her phone in her hands, sending a kakaotalk message to her best friend. Waiting for the bus, she spotted someone familiar at the bus stop. She took a few steps behind before secretly taking a snap of the person.

Seung Hee 

 

 

 

 

 

 

07:20am Your Oppa

Seung Hee (승희)

OMG

YOU LUCKY BASTARD 07:22am

 

Sehyun giggled to herself. It was no secret that her best friend, Seunghee, has an ultimate crush on Lee Byunghun, Kyunggi High School’s famous student, along with 5 other students more. Well, they are popular because of one thing – good looks. As long as you’re good looking with good social skills, you can become one of the popular students in Kyunggi High.

Sehyun had to admit, Lee Byunghun is kinda cute. However Byunghun’s attitude is far from cute. He was pretty short compared to his classmates and friends with small eyes and a charming smile, however his personality was asking for a smack in the head.

Contradicting to Byunghun’s ‘cute’ physical, he was actually an arrogant twerp. Very cliché, but Byunghun is a son of a rich family. He was very rich, at least richer than most of the students studying in Kyunggi High School, with an arrogant attitude to boot. He doesn’t smile nor acknowledge your existence. Whenever somebody tried to talk to him, he would simply ignore you as if you did not exist. He only talks to his group of friends, and ignores everybody else, including teachers. However the teachers couldn’t do anything as Byunghun’s parents are the main donators of the school so everyone was told to it up.

Sehyun herself have not talked to him before. They were classmates once during freshman year but Sehyun has decided to not even try going closer to the good looking arrogant male. As much as Sehyun sort of despise Byunghun, he was still good looking and pretty intimidating.

As soon as Sehyun reached school, she was immediately attacked by her best friend Seunghee.

“Ay look at you lucky bastard! Being in the same bus as the Byunghun!” Seunghee squealed.

Sehyun rolled her eyes playfully, “I’m probably blessed by the gods now, I hope I have a handsome boyfriend in the future since I was standing next to him earlier.”

Seunghee only replied with another high pitch squeal. Thank god she was her friend or else Sehyun would have judged her badly, squealing like a seal in the middle of the corridors of the school.

Suddenly, hushed whispers surrounded the hallways of the school. Both of Sehyun and Seunghee turned your heads to the direction and Seunghee immediately stared squealing again. Sehyun only rolled her eyes, in annoyance this time.

“Chunji oppa, you look good today!”

“Ricky, here, I made you cookies last night!”

“Changjo, did you grew taller last night?”

“Minsu oppa, did you work out? You’re getting hotter!”

“Daniel, sing for us please~”

“Byunghun, smile to us please!”

Sehyun shook her head in wonder, “These girls act as if they are idols.”

“They might as well be! They are well known as the pretty boys of Gangnam!” Seunghee nodded proudly.

“I don’t think they like being called pretty boys…” Sehyun cringed, but Seunghee ignored her friend and sighed dreamily as the 6 boys walked passed by them.

The both of them walked towards their lockers. Sehyun took out some books that was needed for her lessons later, when suddenly someone bumped into her. The bump was quite harsh, resulting her body to hit the locker in front of her, her head hitting the top part of her locker.

“Ouch!” Sehyun groaned, rubbing her forehead and she could feel a bump.

Fixing on a glare, Sehyun whirled her head around and was slightly surprised to see Byunghun rubbing his arm with a pain expression.

“Hyung, are you ok? You look like you were going to faint!” Ricky gasped, approaching the black haired male.

Byunghun ignored Ricky’s concern and continued walking down the hallway.

“Rude.” Sehyun mumbled.

“You ok? I apologise on his behalf.” Minsu looked genuinely sorry, and Sehyun only nodded in response.

After the boys walked away, Seunghee finally approached her sort-of injured best friend.

“Wow, I think the gods are really blessing you. First, you took the same bus as him and now he bumped into you!”

“Very funny Seunghee.”

▲▼▲▼

 

The clock 7 in the evening. Sehyun stretched and yawned, finally done with her studies of the day. It was her routine to stay after school everyday till 7 to revise and study, so when she reached home she could shower and straight away sleep.

Seunghee on the other hand, had went home earlier. The girl would sometimes join her, but today wasn’t those days. Sehyun took her time to pack her bag and leave the school library.

The school wasn’t entirely empty, some curriculum activities were still going on and there are still students staying in their classes and the library, studying. Sehyun was already at the school gates when she realised she had left her scheduler in her class. Groaning, she forced herself to go back to school and went to the 4th level where her class was.

Passing through the empty classes, she was surprised that one of the classes’ lights were still on and there weren’t anyone in there. It was class 3-A, which was directly next to her own class. A shiver ran down her spine. She clutched onto the straps on her bag and was about to quickly passed the class when something caught her eyes.

Sehyun stopped on her tracks. She slowly turned her head around, and her vision was right, there was a body sprawled on the floor of the classroom.

Sehyun began to tremble, is it a ghost? However, it was quite clear that it was a student, a male student that is. He had black hair, and was pretty short. The guy seems very familiar. Suddenly, she wasn’t afraid anymore. She quickly entered the class and kneeled beside the unconscious boy.

“Hello? Are you ok? Can you hear me?” Sehyun shook the body gently, but he was unresponsive.

“Excuse me? Are you ok?” Sehyun shook with force this time, but to no avail. She went to the other side, where the unconscious boy’s face was facing and Sehyun widened her eyes in surprise.

It was Byunghun.

Byunghun was on the floor, unconscious, face as white as sheet.