Dreams and Memories

Safe Haven
Please log in to read the full chapter

The place was dark…dirty and abandon. The wires, worn out and basically punctured out from the laboratory’s tools and walls, creeping out like tentacles with sparks of electricity that could electrocute her small body. Those men keep on dragging her to the end of the room, where there’s a cell at the end of the room and there was someone inside, a teenage boy. 

His black t-shirt was worn out, torn and cuts all over and his pants also the same, torn and worn out. Dirt, spread all over him, and cuts from fresh and old wounds had stick on his shirt. His left arm was cuffed to the steel bar next to him. His head hung low, indicating that he’s unconscious. Her fear grew at the sight. 

What if they hurt her too? But mommy had promised that they won’t… right? one of them march forward, unlock the lock before he open up the cell’s door, before the other one who was holding her, lead her into the cell, before he just push her in. She cried… she try not to talk. Mommy had told her not to talk to strangers… they are strangers and they had hurt him… the door was closed and locked from outside before those men walk away from the cage and left the old lab with only her and the boy inside. But…this stranger is hurt. He’s harmless… she could feel that he won’t hurt her. She scoots closer. 

He didn’t move from his spot. She moves closer and closer. Her white pajama bottom now stains with the dirt around her as she crawled next to him. Her face grew near to him, and her small hand has slowly crept to his face, softly touching his bruised cheek, before she felt him shift, slowly leaning to her warm palm. She didn’t stop, knowing how much hurt he felt right now, he must have need something or someone to soothe him and for the first time, he open his eyes, aware that he had a new sell mate. Slowly, he titled his head on his right side; try to identify the warmness that he felt before. 

There, his eyes met with those pretty brown orbs that belong to a little girl who was crying in fear as her hand now caressing his bruised cheeks. His eyes widen a little. Now they kidnap a little one too? “Does it hurt?” her voice echoed through the room. 

“No…” he croaked. She could speak English? 

His free hand went up, as he bends down, wiping her tears. He felt it… the sparks. Like it twitch at the end of his fingers as he touched her. She was scared and those feeling had migrated to him, projected his own.

“Did they take you too?” he asked. The girl nods. His heart ached as he learns the truth. The little girl was too young for this. She must be scared, being taken away for that mad man’s experiment. “How old are you?” he asked as he tried to inch closer, trying to bear the pain that he felt on his back. They had taken his blood for sampling, of course after he had trying to fight back. They were too strong for a kid like him. They beat him up half dead for his essence. They had harness his power away from him, weaken him so he won’t have a chance to run. They need him… they need him for those experiments… 

“Five…” Five years old? Have they lost their mind? What power does this five years old girl have? 

She looked at him. His face is pale, like his blood has drawn out from his now thin cheeks. Those bruises and cuts make him look worse, but for her, he’s the most beautiful person that she had ever seen. She didn’t understand why they do this to him. Will they do the same to her? Or to her brothers, will they hurt them too?Her breathe hitched as those familiar ached come back. She held her chest, trying to breathe but the pain stung. He noticed the change and drew closer.

“Little girl… what happen?” he asked, feeling awfully off. 

“M-my chest…it’s hurt…” she mumbled between tears. Her hands were clutching tightly on her pajama. Her body beckoned like a fetus next to the boy. Her breath hitched and becoming narrower the second she tried to breathe in, like someone was chocking her air ways, stopping her from taking another breath. 
The boy looked at her, panic flashed in his eyes. He prays to her pajama, opening the first button. His eyes stop at the familiar mark. Heart surgery? He recognizes the stitches mark on her pale chest. His palm trace on her mark and he could hear the abnormal heart beats. It’s beating oddly inside of her. Impaired… 

Why would they take her as a specimen if she’s not perfect? 

He brings her closer to him, trying to harness his power for the last bit. She needs it. She clutched on his shirt. She was scared, and hurt. Mommy had promised that she won’t feel this again. Her heart is going to get better. They’re going to help her cure her impairment… 

“Hush…it’s going to be ok. I got you…” he could feel that he’s drifting apart, as slowly the last bit of his essence flowed, migrating away from his body. 
No one will hurt you… I promise.

She could feel that her heart slowly beating back to normal. With his soothing voice, she calmed down. The ached slowly leaving, as she closed her eyes, listening to his heart beat. The boy brings her closer to his body, cradling her in his arm. He reminds her of her brothers, hugging her, chasing away her fear. For the first time…she felt safe. 

It felt like days passed. He stays on his spot, and she will scoot closer. He smiled at her, trying to stay conscious as long as he could. His body was weak, and he was left there to starve if it wasn’t because of her. Those men come and bring some bread and water for her. Her only. Rather than eating them by herself, she split the bread in half, giving the half to him. “No… you eat,” he tried to reject it but the girl’s eyes starting to get glassy. 

Sometimes, he wondered why she never once talks about wanting to go home. She looked like she just accepted her fate being here, captive. He wondered too, why those men treat her lot nicer than him. They didn’t hurt her nevertheless lay their finger on her. 

“Please…” that’s all she says. 

After a moment of silence, he bend down, letting her feed him with the bread. She was smiling when she feeds him. “Eat, little girl,” he asked her.
She nods. He beamed at her. She’s adorable. They would talk. More likely he would, even though he himself was quiet at time but the girl like listening to him. It’s like having someone beside her could calm her down. Listening to his voice, his heart beat, relying on him make her feel safe. She’s not alone. He’s here to prot

Please log in to read the full chapter