Prologue

Masked Affections

At School

Kyungsoo plopped down on the chair beside Luhan, with a distressed look on his face as he took out his favourite book and starting to turn the pages for what seemed like the hundredth time. 

"What happened?" Luhan, his best friend, asked, nudging his shoulder.

"What else? Just the usual...of course," Kyungsoo said, not focusing on reading his book as there were too many things on his mind.

"Kim Jongin again? What did he do this time?" asked Luhan irritated, "I'm so going to kill that person."

Kyungsoo sighed inwardly. Luhan tended to be overdramatic and especially overprotective of Kyungsoo at all times. "Calm down,  it's just some of his dumb jokes. Anyway, I'm used to them already."

Ever since Kyungsoo transferred to this school a few months ago, Jongin had been giving him a hard time, playing practical jokes of him, teasing him and most of all, bickering with him for no reason at all. Under the circumstances that they met, a bit of conflict was unavoidable but why was Jongin so unreasonable about it?

 

FLASHBACK

Kyungsoo woke up to the sound of his phone blaring his favourite song beneath his pillow. He groaned and fumbled for it, wondering who is calling him in such an unearthly hour in the morning. He rubbed his eyes and looked at the screen. It was Luhan.

“Hello?” he mumbled sleepily, still unable to fully open his eyes.

“Yah!” Luhan shouted as soon as he heard his best friend’s voice. “Why are you still not here yet? I’ve been waiting at the bus stop for ages?”

“Huh? Bus stop? Now?”

“Are you still not awake yet? We have to be in school in less than half an hour! If you don’t get your sleepy here right now, you’ll be late for school,” scolded Luhan exasperatedly.

Kyungsoo jumped out of bed immediately when he heard this.

”Omg, I forgot all about it. I’m so sorry, I knew I shouldn’t have read until so late last night. You’d better go to school first. I’ll join you later. Gotta go, bye.”

He threw his phone on his bed, rushed to clean his teeth and pulled on a set of clean clothes before he took his schoolbag and ran down the stairs. Then, he rushed out from his house, hoping that he won’t be late on only his second week in his new school.

He glanced at his watch. It was already 7:45am. Why must today be one of the very rare days that he oversleeps and when his parents are both outstation? It is impossible to get to school on time if he goes on foot, and the last bus had already gone. He started to run, praying that he’ll get there before the first bell rings.

Suddenly, he collided with a boy about his age, who also seemed to be late, judging by the way he dashed out of his house and onto the street. Both of them fell into a heap on the road and the paper bag that the boy was clutching so tightly in his hand flew to the side of the pavement. The tinkling sound of breaking glass was heard.

The boy shot a death glare at Kyungsoo, looking lost and as if he was about to cry. Kyungsoo was shocked, and he gaped while wondering what was in it that was so precious to him.

“I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean to….” Kyungsoo stuttered, when the boy interrupted him.

"Who the hell are you and what are you doing here in front of my house?!" the boy shouted furiously, directing all his anger on the doe-eyed boy who had knocked over his most prized possession. 

"M-my name is D-Do K-kkyungsoo, "he stammered nervously, pausing as he saw daggers shooting from the boy's eyes. Suddenly, he recognised the boy, who was very popular at his current school.

"K-kim Jongin? I'm so so sorry, I'll pay you back the money in school tomorrow, o-okay?, Kyungsoo asked, not daring to look directly at Jongin, trying to avoid his constant glaring.

"No, it's not okay! I'll make you pay for this, just you wait!" shouted Jongin and ran off into the school's direction, tears forming in his eyes. Kyungsoo caught up after him, apologizing profusely but was given the cold shoulder.

Later in school, Sehun, who seemed that he never ever left Jongin's side kept giving him a weird look. 'Jongin must have told him about what happened this morning' Kyungsoo thought.

But then, the nightmare had only just begun....

FLASHBACK ENDS

Ever since that incident, Kyungsoo had never had a day of peace. He was also often wondering what the thing in that paper bag was that was so important to Jongin that made him resent him for such a long time. Guilt still filled Kyungsoo whenever he thought about that incident. So, although he wanted Jongin to stop being like this to him, but if being spiteful will make Jongin feel better, he has no complaints.

"Earth to Kyungsoo!" Luhan called for the fifth time, frantically waving both his hands in front of  Kyungsoo's face.

"Hmm?" Kyungsoo asked, finally recovering from his daze and looked at his friend.

Luhan sighed, "Never mind, just tell me if he bullies you again okay? I'll be sure to give him a piece if my mind by then."

 


 

Author's note: Sry for the short prologue. The next chapter will be much longer, i promise. I hope that this is okay for my first time writing a fic. Kindly comment, subscribe and upvote if u like it. I'm sry if there are any mistakes. Thx ;)