I, Among Others

A Pair in the Crowd

 

강남Gangnam. 3:42 PM

In consideration of the Gangnam District's reputation as the "national capital of education", saturation of global and local luxury brands, and panoply of the new fusion cuisines, Ailee was your not-so-average female high school student. Most of them were profligate consumers of everything that was available to them, from clothing to electronics to makeup. In her eyes, it was undoubtedly a dislikable quality, but its prevalence at her school meant feigning indifference. While she was viewed as unordinary by most of her female classmates (because quite frankly, only females view each other so critically), she was just as intelligent as her classmates, maybe even more so, pretty, wore nice clothes, and qualified for the Korean body standards. As a result, she never caught any hate and her idiosyncracies actually made her quite popular among both genders.

To be more specific, Ailee dressed in a fashionable and appealing way. In the luxury stores that she shopped at, rather than the effulgent tops that clearly showed off wealth, she gravitated towards the simpler pieces. Although such preferences seemed to be a definite recipe for bland outfits, she always looked minimalistic and elegant. It turned heads in the halls, and Ailee became an instant fashion icon. Many of the girls - almost all of them, actually - adored her sense of style and vowed to themselves that they would dress like her too. Nobody ever pulled it off. 

In addition, she had a good body figure, which mainly attracted the males. She wasn't stick thin like all the other girls, but not enough so to be called "fat" by any of the highly judgemental females. In the males' eyes, it was actually much more likable than the typical bony female. Outside the Gangnam lens, Ailee had a healthy body.