Final

Comfort Inn

(Song: Jhené Aiko - Comfort Inn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMqEylHQAHc | Trust me, it sets the mood so well.)

 

 

 

Wendy perches herself on a worn-out couch in this awfully dim room. She knows this broken inn, but she has no idea how she ends up here — she only knows it is because of a certain somebody.

 

And she swears she would never forget her name.

 

Colorful lights from the muted TV flickering on her face, she still couldn’t pick herself up from the mess she is in. She knows how bad she looks or maybe smells right now after having driven for nearly a day.

 

She has to run.

 

 

Her eyes turn to the big bag she hastily packed, and she spots the silver piece. The gun is still there.

 

She closes her eyes and images come to her. She remembers the flash, the sound, the cartridge. It took her just one shot but she fired more. She can still see his face. She opens her eyes just to see the blood stain is still here, on her clothes.

 

So she finally stands up and starts doing what she should have done hours ago. Getting rid of the evidence. She should be an expert at this but it takes her a while.

 

Donning a new set of clothes, she is still reluctant to look into the mirror.

 

 

Wendy takes a few hours of rest before daybreak comes. She doesn't forget to reload the gun with a different kind of bullets and fill the car's fuel tank full. She hasn’t even eaten but it is time to hit the road again. She still has a long way to go.

 

She isn’t safe and it isn’t over yet.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

Just a few months ago, in that filthy city of crimes, nothing had been peaceful and no one could be trusted, especially and ironically the cops. So how is a defenseless girl supposed to survive not only for herself but also for her family?

 

She needed money, and she needed it quick. Her parents were already out of money, out of juice, like squashed lemon slices. Thy could not longer afford to pay the bribes and keep them all safe. What made things worse is when her brother got sick. And who was going to pay his medical bills? She just finished school. 

 

She had been thinking of all possible ways. She could not just sell her body, her mother even threatened to kill herself if she ever tried to get money by being a stripper or a hooker. Although there was a terribly huge number of girls taking up these jobs.

 

 

In the end, she dragged her feet to a friend of hers and asked for help. She had been a girl with a strong sense of pride. But that was before everything went down. She wasn’t close to any of her “friends” and she thought she had to beg for a job. Surprisingly, she had her luck and her friend kindly offered a post for her.

 

Seulgi was a schoolmate of Irene who was helping in the bar owned by her family after graduation. And she needed a hand when Irene came to her.

 

 

“So,” The girl behind the bar counter asked the other while wiping a shot glass with a white cloth. “How much more do you need actually?”

 

The girl replied after finishing her makeup, “A lot more. But it’s enough for now. Thank you.”

 

 

“Sometimes they give us a lot of tips.” She muttered as she put the glass under the light. “You know, it depends……”

 

“I know.” She muttered in an even lower voice, fiddling with the hem of her short skirt. “I’m trying.”

 

 

“I wish I could help more.” The taller girl rolled up her sleeves preparing for the night and the other could see her tattoos clearly. “It must be hard for you.”

 

The girl in a tight outfit pursued her red lips. And she turned to look at the other girls who were puffing on their smoke.

 

 

“Most of the customers here are men and you know, ” She paused and smiled. “But men ain't my thing. So good luck.”

 

Irene then finally lifted a smile, a rather flippant one, “Would you pay me handsomely if I sleep with you?”

 

 

“Your mom’s gonna kill me.” Seulgi’s smile turns into a silly grin, as she is visibly amazed by her friend's bluntness. “So no, thanks for the invitation.”

 

“You’re a friend.” She chuckled. “It doesn’t make me a , right?”

 

 

“Still, no. Even when you’re hot.”

 

“Why?”

 

“I’m waiting for someone and I ain’t that desperate.”

 

“Alright then. Thought you were the Casanova type.”

 

 

Irene walked away as customers flooded in. Seulgi began to make the drinks and the rest of the girls began their serving. It was kind of a gathering place for all sorts of people —  the good and the bad, the rich and the poor. No one here really cared, everyone just minded their own business. 

 

The girl quaked a little when one of them touched her the moment she put down the drinks. If he didn’t have those gold chains and the gold watch on his wrist, she would have slammed a bottle on his ugly face without any hesitation. And she recognized him, everyone knew who he was.

 

So she managed to fake a professional smile for him and his gang before retrieving herself from that fume-filled guest room. But his hands were quicker and found their way to her again, pulling her down to his lap while his gang laughed.

 

 

“Hey, care for some company tonight, pretty girl?” The warmth of his fingers caressed her skin and it somehow disgusted her.

 

“My work calls.” Calmly, she pulls herself away. “May I be excused for now?”

 

“I can wait until your shift ends.” He grinned and tried to kiss her.  

 

She stood up in time but he gave a solid smack on her rear, “E-excuse me, my job awaits.”

 

 

“You’re cute. I’d wait.” He shouted as she dashed out of the room. She could hear his people cheer and clap, celebrating the smell of decay. 

 

That man — he would come nearly every weekend since and he actually wasn’t that bad. Perhaps. She just had to endure a little and he didn’t force her to do more or sleep with him. At the end of the day, he got a hot girl accompanying him and she got her extra money. It wasn’t much but both were happy.

 

And life went on.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

There was a night, a special night. Irene went to the washroom in the middle of her shift, feeling disgusted by herself in the mirror when she was washing her hands at the sink. She washed harder and harder as if it could really cleanse her from head to toe. She just wanted to get all the money and left once and for all.

 

She had changed a lot. She started smoking and drinking. She laughed and cried at the same time. Seulgi had to deal with the ugliest side of her whenever the shop was closed and she hated herself for that.

 

Even she herself started to carry the stench of decay.

 

 

Someone came in and stood beside her, who just stood there and switched off her tap. Irene looked up and recognized the girl almost instantly. She was with the man, every time she would just sit in the corner or drink a bottle of beer too sometimes. She had been curious about this girl for quite a long time, who didn’t seem to fit in among those wicked predators.

 

 

“So, why?” The girl spoke up first. Her words sharp but her voice soft. “Money?”

 

Gracefully, Irene fixed her hair not sparing another glance at the curious stranger. “Got a problem?”

 

 

The girl just softly smiled and stepped back from the sink, “No. But I figure you must be a good girl because he still hasn’t scored.….. He complains all the time when he’s with us.”

 

“So say, ” She turned and boldly eyed her up a bit. She was nearly the same size as herself but she seemed more toned. “You actually want me to sleep with him or not?”

 

 

The girl snickered and to be honest her smirk was quite attractive. “Are you asking for my advice? If so, it's a no. He on bed.”

 

Irene raised an eyebrow feeling intrigued by the conversation they were having, “What, you tried?”

 

 

“No, I just heard.” The girl widened her eyes a little and her round eyes spoke of emotions that Irene had not seen from other people for a long time. Then she lifted her jacket slightly revealing a gun holstered on her waist, “I have a different job.”

 

“Oh.” She whistled. “Then you’re his bodyguard? Like a 'butcher'?” Yeah, she definitely had overheard Seulgi talking about a butcher with someone at the counter before, and she definitely was not referring to those big sweaty men at the market.

 

 

“A cleaner, if I shall name it.” 

 

“So you would put a bullet in my head if I slap him or something?”

 

 

It got the girl thinking but then she just shrugged, “I would probably just laugh.”

 

So Irene laughed too, “So why would you take this job? Money too?”

 

The girl’s face then fell back to solemnity as she stepped out from the small washroom, “Maybe. I'm good at what I am doing.”

 

 

It was the first time Irene talked to Wendy. They would meet up and chat a little in that washroom when they have the time. And there was a time Wendy offered her a job for quick money. It was easy for Irene she just had to deliver a briefcase from one room to another. Irene didn’t care what was in there, she just knew Wendy gave her a huge sum of money in reward so that her brother could finally have the big surgery.

 

Irene would see Wendy talk to Seulgi sometimes. And later she found out from Seulgi that they knew each other by visiting the same tattoo shop. She didn’t know if Seulgi didn’t tell her since Wendy always wore long-sleeved.

 

And some other times, Wendy would leave the room quietly when Irene came by. Maybe she got a “cleaning” job but Irene knew it wasn’t the case for most of the time. Because she would find her at the Seulgi's counter afterwards.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

Irene was completely shocked when someone trashed the bar one night. But she was glad at the same time. Those people barged in and started shooting at them shortly after his hand reached the top of her thigh.

 

She thought she was dead but she lived.

 

 

“Don’t you know how to ing dodge?” It’s Wendy who grabbed her arm and pulled her out from the room. They were barely out from the rain of bullets hiding under a table.

 

“I am..... scared.” She covered her ears from the gunshots booming everywhere.

 

 

Wendy managed to shoot a few men down before checking on Irene, “I didn't know you're so stupid.”

 

“It’s not the time to scold me.” Irene had to admit that she was a little angry. She thought Wendy would be different.

 

 

“Go to find Seulgi.” Wendy turned away and coldly ordered. “I’ll cover you and you just run until you see her counter, okay?”

 

“How about you?” Irene had to shout because Wendy was pulling the trigger again.

 

“Why do you have to worry about me?” Wendy shouted back as she reloaded. “, there’s too many of them. How did they find us?”

 

 

“Do you want to die?” Irene yanked her arm and yelled louder. She certainly didn't want her to die.

 

“Just go, please.” Wendy’s expression softened for a second and she pushed Irene out of their cover after firing a few rounds.

 

 

Irene did run for her life and she daren’t to look back. It was her first time witnessing a gunfight this close. She thought she was deaf. She jumped behind the counter and Seulgi was really there.

 

“Thank god, you’re in one piece.” The tall girl also had her gun ready. “The other girls were hiding upstairs.”

 

Irene's hands had never stopped trembling, “What should we do now? Leave?”

 

 

“Wait it out? I don’t think we can get to my car without having a few holes on us.”

 

“.”

 

 

It felt like an hour had passed for them being trapped in guns and smokes, and someone knocked on the wooden counter, signaling them to come out.

 

“It’s me.” That soft voice.

 

 

The two girls came to the front and saw Wendy covered in blood, holding a bloody knife. “It’s over. He got onto the car and they’re all dead.”

 

“Are you okay?” Seulgi dropped her gun to the side and checked on her friend.

 

“Whose blood is that?” Irene almost fainted seeing all the red on the tiles, on the walls, on the tables, on the chairs, on those dead bodies and on Wendy.

 

 

Wendy wanted to speak but suddenly threw her knife right through the other two girls. It landed on a man’s chest. “Now, they’re all dead-” But then she dropped to her knees.

 

Seulgi placed her down on a chair and took off her jacket, “, , , it’s her blood.” Irene finally saw the tattoos inked on Wendy’s arms since the latter only had her tank top on. She got less tattoos than the bartender.

 

Irene looked at Wendy’s left shoulder in horror,  “You got shot.”

 

 

“Well, you smartass.” Wendy gritted her teeth trying not to groan in pain as Seulgi bandaged the wound and stopped the bleeding.

 

“Should I get you to somewhere?” Seulgi wiped her hands and asked. "Not hospital, I guess."

 

“There’s a cheap inn at the far end of the town.” Irene suggested. “I know someone there and they have the things to treat her.”

 

 

Weakly smiled Wendy as she looked up, “I know it. You’re actually a smart girl.”

 

“Just cut the crap.” Seulgi threw Irene her keys. “Drive her there. I gotta get the girls to somewhere safe.”

 

“Okay.” Irene meekly nodded. There ain't other choices.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

Wendy fainted on the way and Irene successfully drove her to the said place despite deep panic she was in. Like what should she do if she died?

 

She greeted her friends and they immediately brought the injured girl into a room. When Irene saw her again, the wound of her left shoulder was properly dressed and she was lying peacefully on the bed.

 

 

Irene sat on the edge and took her time staring at the sleeping girl. It was when she realized that Wendy indeed didn’t have to risk her life to save her, or to offer her a job. Her eyes traced to her inked skin and she got curious. Some were alien words to Irene and some were strange patterns. A raven and an arrow on the inner side of her right arm. She wondered what that means to her, what the story is behind that.

 

She didn’t leave. She didn’t really know much about Wendy but she stayed. She cleaned the blood stain on her and her face. It was Irene’s first time taking a good look at her face. Wendy was always so cold to look at.

 

Wendy looked rather cute for a girl who lived that kind of life. And Irene noticed those little scars on her skin —  from her forehead, her jaw, her forearm, her abdomen…. What kind of person she really was?

 

She woke up the next day as Wendy patted her head. She seemed a lot better so Irene helped her up.

 

 

“Thank you.” Wendy smiled at her whilst putting on her jacket in a haste.

 

“You saved me.” Irene too put on a nice smile. “Why?”

 

“I couldn’t just leave you there, right?” But Wendy’s smile faded soon, just like last time.

 

“Who are you? Really?” Irene just couldn’t help but probed further. Those scars and tattoos, those accurate shots, those dark eyes — they all told their own stories.

 

 

“You shouldn’t bother to know.” Shaking her head, Wendy brushed her off and paced to the door. “Anyway, thank you again. And see you at the bar.”

 

Irene was left alone again as the door was slammed shut. She did not understand.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

The bar reopened a week after the gunfight. Irene soon resumed working and so did Wendy. But the waitress didn’t expect that until she saw Wendy sitting there glaring at her the moment she stepped in. She didn’t know a gunshot wound could recover that fast. And she didn’t realize her eyes were so intimidating that she was actually scared. 

 

The hitman got up from her seat after a phone call and left the room. The man was not in the mood that night as well but he still gave Irene her tips. When her shift ended, Wendy was already there leaning on the bar counter casually chatting with their bartender, again. 

 

 

“I thought you are busy.” Irene butted in, displeased by the situation.

 

“She wants her knife back.” Seulgi chirped and handed the polished object back to its rightful owner.

 

“Thanks, Seul. I owe you one.” Wendy gently patted Seulgi by the arm while leaving the waitress hanging by herself.

 

“Hey.” Irene decided she had enough. “What’s up with you?”

 

 

Wendy was nonchalant as she always was. “I'm busy. I just killed another man today and I don’t think you should get onto my nerves right now.”

 

“Let her be.” Seulgi tried to break them off. “Both of you.”

 

 

“How’s your shoulder?” Irene tried again as Wendy was ready to go.

 

“Good.” And still, she left without another word. But at least she answered her question.

 

 

“So now what?” Watching the professional killer disappear from her sight, Seulgi calmly lighted her blunt. “You’re interested in her now? You two screwed that night?”

 

“No.” Irene threatened to choke the tall girl with her hands. “And hell no.”

 

“Mabye it’s a yes and no.”

 

“Just lend me your lighter.” She circled her fingers around a smoke.

 

 

Seulgi clicked her lighter, “Don’t tell me you'll really do it only for money.”

 

“I am not a hoe.”

 

“I know.” She giggled. “She isn’t the type to sleep around too. But I’ve known her for too long to know that she’s not into any humans. I don’t even know if she likes boys or girls.” 

 

“You talk too much tonight.” Irene breathed in those nerve-numbing breaths.

 

 

Seulgi kept smiling as Irene kept smoking.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

“What’s wrong with you?” Irene was screaming her lungs out in the same old washroom. She lost track counting how many times Wendy had closed the door on her.

 

“How’s it your business, miss?” Wendy sighed as she threw Irene’s cigarette away. She couldn’t explain how much she hated the smell of it. 

 

She just could not sit there and watch as if they were testing her limits. The many times she was about to pull her gun out to shoot his balls or her knife to cut his hands. It still was not the time, that’s what Wendy told herself.

 

 

“We haven’t talked for god knows how many days.” She swore there were legit tears forming in her eyes.

 

But Wendy must be too cold to see them. “Oh, so we are friends now? Do you wanna do our nails together? Huh?”

 

 

“Could you just shut the up?” Irene gave one last good scream before she went to kiss the girl.

 

Wendy was totally caught off guard when a pair of hands cupped her face with a pair of lips on her own. She could handle a gun fight but she couldn’t handle her. And she could feel there’s something inside her, that had been buried deep, was then ablaze. Clumsily, she wrapped her arms around her and deepened the kiss. She could feel Irene smiling against her lips. She had been imagining doing this. But Irene wasn’t so gentle when she’s with her.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

Instincts brought them back to the same inn, and it might even be the same room. Wendy was literally thrown to the bed and she quivered because of the pain in her shoulder, leaving the other girl frozen at her spot.

 

 

“I thought you said it’s good.” Irene pulled down the jacket and there was still a dressing glued on that milky left shoulder. 

 

“It has closed up.” Wendy lightly swept her hands away from her shoulder. “Who knows someone would push me onto a bed?"

 

“I’m sorry.” She apologetically planted a kiss on the wound.

 

She chuckled. “You confused me much, you know that?”

 

 

She caught the look in her eyes and stayed quiet while her hands began their work ing her jeans and removing the fabrics gently. And there was a genuine smile on Wendy's face as she watched her undressing her, then herself.

 

 

“Really, we had the perfect end,

That night we shared at the Comfort Inn.”

 

 

In fact, Irene had imagined doing what she was doing at that night she got shot. She found that unreasonable since the other girl was probably unconscious that time. But at this moment she was here, beneath her, conscious and healthy. So she didn’t hold back this time. 

 

She brought her hands and lips to every inch of her skin, exploring, bare, inked, scarred. She couldn’t stop and she had no intention to stop. She wanted her and she needed her. She knew the consequence of that. And she gave herself to her. She didn’t even mind she wasn’t Wendy’s first, and she was hers.

 

At the back of Irene’s mind, she knew it might worth a lot but she chose to give it to someone who worth it. She was glad Wendy was able to kiss the pain away. She kissed her one last time as they slept, as she hugged her close. It was the first night when Wendy was able to sleep in peace.

 

 

That night turned into every weekend. 

 

She watched her wound turned into another scar. And every time she would not forget to kiss it, which very much amazed Wendy, who gradually convinced Irene to quit smoking bit by bit.

 

 

He might have probably found something fishy about them but he couldn’t connect the dots and link the two together. Wendy’s time was coming anyway.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

“My brother died.” Wendy had never seen Irene cried.

 

“I’m here.” All she could offer was a warm embrace, and a warm shoulder.

 

 

“It all went to waste.” She was devasted but she felt safe, with her.

 

“You did your best.” She planted a kiss on the crown of her head.

 

“I could give him a proper burial. But I still need more money for my parents.”

 

“How much?” 

 

 

Irene looked into Wendy’s eyes, “Don’t.”

 

“If it wasn’t too much.”  

 

“I owe you so much already.” 

 

“Just a bullet?” She smiled. She smiled a lot at that time.

 

 

Wendy's joke earned a slap on her arm.

 

They both laughed and kissed again. 

 

 

“If either of us had admitted,

We were in love.”

 

 

Wendy was there whenever Irene needed her. 

 

 

She told her another night when they were lying there, limbs tangled. “My parents could start all over. But in a new place.”

 

So she turned and caressed her face, trying to map the contours of her face, “You’re leaving?”

 

 

“I don’t know.” Irene placed her palm over the one on her face. “But I'll quit and stay away from him.”

 

“I can’t yet.” She interlaced their fingers slowly. “My job isn’t done.”

 

“Do you think he would hunt me down?”

 

“He might.” She took a deep breath, closing her eyes. 

 

 

“He would kill you if he finds out about us.” Wanting to lighten the mood, Irene joked. 

 

But clearly it wasn't appreciated when Wendy sat up, “Then you should just go.”

 

 

“I was weak then and you knew it,

I was so weak then and you proved it.”

 

 

“So I should just go and leave you?” 

 

“We can't be together like this for long.”

 

 

Irene picked up her clothes. Wendy didn’t stop her.

 

 

“So you told me to leave.”

 

“Who am I to tell you not to? You have a family. You don't need me.”

 

 

That time was Irene who closed the door on Wendy.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

Irene broke the news to Seulgi and the girl kindly showed her support even though she was fully acknowledged what was going on between the two of her friends.

 

That was supposed to her last shift and no one was supposed to know about it except herself and Seulgi. But somehow Wendy was able to figure it out when Irene served them drinks. And of course, she did not tell her boss.

 

 

“Leaving tonight?” Wendy was there waiting for her outside the bar.

 

Irene clutched on the strap of her bag as the night was cold, “Here to say goodbye?”

 

“Just leave.” She looked around to see if anyone was there. “It’s getting dangerous.”

 

“So you’re just sending me away? Just like this?”

 

 

Wendy was colder than the night, “I have no choice.”

 

“Do I mean anything to you?” Irene tried one last time. 

 

The hitman's intimidating glare returned. “You got the money. Leave.”

 

“So to you, I am that kind of person?” The waitress who was finally out of that seductive outfit slapped her in the face.

 

 

“And I was not only one who was hurting,

And you were not the only one with the burdens.”

 

 

“What more do you want from me?” Wendy didn't fight back, just casting her eyes on the concrete floor. “Please, I beg you, leave.”

 

“Fine. Consider your wish granted.” Holding back her tears back, Irene refused to make herself even more miserable and left Wendy alone on the empty street.

 

 

Irene did not know it would end like this but Wendy did.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

Irene did not know how she would end up in that room. Someone just grabbed and shoved her onto a van when she was shopping for groceries for her family's road trip leaving town. They knocked her out and she woke up in a grand room, someone’s bedroom. 

 

And it was her turn to be slapped. It was him.

 

 

“You’re a .” He was on top of her.

 

“Wh-”

 

 

There he slapped her again, so hard that he didn't seem to care if her face would bruise. It made Irene regret a little doing the same thing to Wendy. “I gave you all the money and you wanna just run away like that? Haven't you promised me something? Shouldn’t you repay me first?”

 

“I- ” She wasn’t given a chance and he started ripping her clothes apart. 

 

 

The girl prayed that it was just a nightmare, a man trying to force himself on her. He was too strong, almost beastly that there was no way she could have any strength against him.

 

She was almost stripped bare when sounds of shooting interrupted. He didn’t seem to know what happen and he tried to continue anyway. It grew silent and the door was kicked open.

 

 

Wendy wasted no time and pointed the gun at his head but was shocked to see them on a bed in ambiguous positions. Nearly , clothes on the floor. They were just as shocked as they both had no idea why Wendy did what she did. They just knew that she was fumingly furious, smoke coming out from her head type of mad. It only took her a few seconds to recover from the shock and went back to her usual cold snickering.

 

 

“I'm so stupid.” She had her finger on the trigger. “I should just kill you both.”

 

“Wendy, listen to me-”

 

“Wendy, why did you-”

 

“Shut up, both of you.” Wendy held her gun firm and tight. Yes, she could only point it at one of them but everyone knew she could shoot both right in the head in a blink of an eye. “I know you're an but I didn’t know you’re one too. How could you….. Is it a revenge?”

 

 

“But if we're nothing, 

Why would you call this love when you knew that it wasn’t ?”

 

 

Irene knew Wendy must have misunderstood something but it was too late. She choked him with one arm, dragging him down to the floor and out of the room. An unstoppable rage. And she almost threw up when she finally had a peek of the bodies outside. She was right when she first called Wendy a butcher.

 

 

“Please…. Wendy…. Don’t-” And she could hear him scream from afar. 

 

“I wanted to kill you both but I can’t. I can’t put a bullet in her ing face,” Then she heard Wendy talking again. “But I certainly can beat the out of you, slice your fat meat, and finally rip your damn hollow heart out.”

 

“Why would you do this? You've been my sidekick for two years now.” He begged. “If you want her, You can just say it and I'll give her to you. Wh-”

 

“It isn’t just her. I was meant to kill you.”

 

 

“I thought you-” Another bang and he didn't talk anymore. It was followed by another round of merciless shots. She must have shot a whole clip on him.

 

Irene had no time to retrieve her scattered clothes when Wendy emerged from the door again, so ever ghostly. She stood there and she sat there, looking at each other. Blood tainted on Wendy’s fair face and she was still holding the gun. Irene was smart enough to know there were no bullets left but she also knew Wendy could just murder her with her bare hands. 

 

 

“I told you to leave. Don't let me see you ever again.” 

 

That’s all Wendy said and she took off running, leaving Irene alone with those lifeless bodies. 

 

 

And Irene still didn’t understand. Why would it end up like this?

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

Irene is now stuck in the town with her parents and she surely isn’t safe. Seulgi told her his friends are searching for her. 

 

Her parents haven’t asked a thing about the she’s going through. For she has done more than enough.

 

 

She has been listening to the news and there's nothing about the suspect of his death. Even Seulgi doesn’t know why Wendy has to murder everyone that night.

 

She wants to find her but she might kill her too. She can’t forget the look in Wendy's eyes. Afire, burning with something like a mix of pain and sorrow.

 

 

Irene thought she doesn’t care anymore. 

 

Maybe everything would end soon. Maybe Wendy has left town, or maybe they would find her.

 

 

Yes, Irene can’t live with the look of her eyes in her head for the rest of her life. She must find her first.

 

She borrows Seulgi’s car and heads off to a place where Wendy might have been hiding in.

 

She needs a closure.

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

Wendy drives day and night ever since she has left the inn. She has to get there before anyone else traces her. No time to waste, no time to worry about Irene.

 

Oh, Irene. Her body aches even with the thought of her. 

 

 

When she finally reaches the grey compound, she is about to collapse and people in uniforms rush out to pick her up.

 

She is safe and her job is done. She turns in all the information she collected in the past two years.

 

 

“You’ve done well.” A well-suited man greets her when she’s having a check-up in a medical room. “Agent Son.”

 

“You’re welcome, sir.” 

 

“It must have been tough.” He nods and shows a fatherly smile. “But you didn’t let us down. I know you’re the best candidate since you were in the navy.”

 

“It’s my job, sir.”

 

 

He can see a brighter future for the city. “You deserve a promotion and a good rest.”

 

Wendy blinks as she stares at the white bedsheets, “There’s still something left undone, sir.”

 

 

“Really? Just tell me, Wendy.”

 

“We have to wipe them clean.”

  

“Good.” He fixes his collar. “Very good. You’ll take the lead in the mission then.”

 

“Thank you, sir.” She salutes as he exits the room. 

 

 

In few hours time, she is already back in the control room which is still familiar to her. It's her life.

 

Her friends from the same squad cannot be happier to greet her again. They all know being an undercover could be a one-way trip and she has gone for two years. 

 

But it is still not the time to celebrate.

 

To be perfectly honest, Wendy just knew she had to eliminate him after gathering all those intelligence and records. She didn’t know she would see Irene there, under him, barely dressed. 

 

It ruined everything. She thought it was really love. She had warned her about the killing that night and told her to leave town. But still, she was with him. She wants to know why. Is she wrong about Irene?

 

 

She stares deep into her reflection in the mirror when she gears up with that operation suit.

 

She finally finds herself. It is who she really is.

 

 

After a quick research with the help of all the information Wendy got from him, they are ready to hunt every corrupted soul down and cleanse the city. 

 

As they get in the vehicle, her teammate Joy informs her with something unusual that puts Wendy in deep thoughts. 

 

 

“Just put on the silencers.”

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

Once again, Irene is locked up. It seems she had used all her luck. The inn is no longer safe and her friends are tied up in another room.

 

They have found her. But at least, she knows they didn’t get Wendy.

 

 

She overheard that they would kill her after they have found this traitor too. So she might be able to see her one last time before they both die. Oh, it sounds like a badly-scripted tragedy.

 

She is beaten up again but she doesn’t feel the pain this time. Perhaps they just want her dead instead of or humiliating her. She can hardly open her eyes with no food and the injuries all over her. The room is awfully dark. She can’t see, can’t hear, can’t speak. She doesn’t even know if she is soaked with her sweat, her tears, or her blood.

 

They would pour a bucket of cold water over her body when she is about to pass out so that she would suffer more as they interrogate her. 

 

 

But today they haven’t come yet. It is quiet. 

 

Irene uses all her might to stay awake.

 

 

There are footsteps, heavier and hastier. Closer and stronger by second.

 

A light blinds her when the door is open. The man who pours her water is here and looks frightened. His partner in crime follows and they are arguing what to do.  Hearing more gunshots, he runs out and his friend raises his gun. 

 

She thought she would be dead but then she lives. Again.

 

 

That guy is down, with a bullet went from the back of his head and out between his eyes.

 

She is untied and carried to the worn mattress in the room. 

 

 

“I’m sorry, Irene. I'm so sorry,” That voice, ever so warm, brings her back from hell to life. “I’m here to see you now.” 

 

 

“Son.” Another voice comes in. “The floor is cleared. Found three hostages on the second floor, all secured.”

 

“We got one more here.” She hears her loud and clear. “She would need medical attention. I’ll get her out. You go first.”

 

 

And when her eyes slowly adjust to the brightness, she sees Wendy kneeling next to her looking different, very different. 

 

"Hey, I see you again." She brings her hand to the face she's longing to see. “So that's what you were hiding from me.” 

 

 

“I’m so sorry.” And she closes in to kiss her.

 

“You really have no choice.” She lifts a smile but her face hurts.

 

Wendy shakes her head then lifts Irene up again. “I should have brought you with me that day. Irene, could you forgive me?”

 

“Of course I can..... Where are we going now?” 

 

 

“Somewhere peaceful and safe.” She smiles and walks. “Your parents are safe too. The whole city is safe now.”

 

“Wendy, thank you.” She leans onto her enjoying her warmth and craving more.

 

 

They are at the front entrance and it is quiet again. It’s over. 

 

Wendy brings her to the ambulance and the last thing Irene sees before the door closes is the signboard of the inn, shinning bright despite the night changes.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


So it's my first legit first one-shot.

Hope you'll like it. (if you do, upvote, subscribe or comment!)

Check the song out too, it's cool B)

p.s. You can also find me on twitter.

xo