How we met

What does 'love' mean

The door was opened by the tall boy not much older than MyunHae. He shook hands with him right away.

"Hi. Jung MyunHae? I'm Song WonHwan and I'm the prefect. That means that I'm the person who takes care of orderliness in here" he said as he was smiling wormly. 

Of course MyunHae was talking with this guy the day before by the phone. 

"Yes, I'm MyunHae"

"That's strange name." He answered and started to relentlessly talk about... basically everything. WonHwan was obviously too talkative.

He showed me around the beautiful building with three storeys that was about to be my new house. He  knew there were living three guys, and one more room was empty, ready for him to move in. He wandered how will it be. Seven guys living under the same roof. At least every room had its own bathroom. There was one kitchen though. His room was said to be on the highest floor and penultimate on the corridor. They had also the huge living room next to the kitchen on the bottom floor. WonHwan helped him to carry his luggage to his room and gave him the keys. The room was quite big. There was huge bed on the right side, the desk in the front, next to the window with green shutter, and doors to the bathroom on the left side. MyunHae started to unpack his own stuff while WonHwan was tirelessly babbling. MyunHae was listening only because of his kindness. He wouldn't like to have  a quarrel in his first day of moving in with probably the most important person in the dorm. Through the torpor caused by this talking MyunHae reminded himself the question he had. 

"Can I have a pet in here?"

"What kind of pet do you have?"

"Well... I don't have one yet. I was just wandering if I can adopt one."

"It is prohibited to have an exotic pets like snakes, spiders or lizards. But if you want a cat, dog or anything like this it won't be a problem. I must warn you though, that HyunMin, the boy that lives in the room on your right side has a dog. The dog is well trained so it shouldn't be agressive towards new pet living in your room." Normal person would end the topic at this point. Not WonHwan hovewer. He was continuing long enough that Myun already started to regret even asking. He mastered amazing skill to transist from one topic to another. Myun was afraid to look at the clock. The subtle suggestions were totaly undiscovered by the prefect. In the critical point, in which MyunHae as about to kick WonHwan out from his room, the help has come. Someone knocked to the door and a second after a person showed up. He was much taller than both men in the room, had wavy hair, pierced ears with couple of  earrings ang a tatoo  that was prominent slightly under the sleeves of his t-shirt and collar. It was some branches, probably ivy. 

"I don't want to interrupt but HyoRi just came to you. She's furious." He said. 

WonHwan immidiately ran out the room. Shocked MyunHae looked at the man. 

"Don't ever give him a reason to talk. It will be over. Only if you have no other choice. It'll save your time. I'm Hwang JaeHyun. I'm living next to you."

When he left the room, finally, there was an blessed silence. MyunHae ended unpacking his books and generally giving his character to the new space. Without WonHwan it was quick. Now he wondered if there is any animal shelter nearby. Easiest solve would be to google it. And that was the problem. What was the internet password? Cursing in his mind that he need to talk with WonHwan again he went down the stairs. OK. Now he didn't know  WonHwans room number so he went to the common room. There he found JaeHyun watching TV.

"Excuse me... Do you happen to know where WonHwan is? I need a internet password."

"Oh... He lives in roon number one. But I think it will be easier if I'll tell you the password. It's '1013'" He answered calmly but not giving him much of his attention. 

"Thanks..." Not having any answer from the other man Myun just left him alone.

There was an animal shelter. 20 minutes away by foot. Unfortunately it was closed today. It was friday evening so in the next two days it was also closed. MyunHae suddenly felt alone. He really needed some friendly creature by his side. Something was telling him that he won't have near relationship with WonHwan and JaeHyun felt just... coldly distanced even if he seemed to be nice. Myun spended the rest of his day reading books. He had no motivation to do anything else. And he had still one month to start his university life. He didn't even realised that he fell asleep reading. MyunHae was awakened by the loud barking.  Sleepy, he looked at his wristwatch. It was 6 am. He peeked through the door and he saw very cheerfull man, a bit smaller than himself with a chocolate labrador on a leash.  This had to be HyunMin. 

"Oh, hi!" HyunMin said when he saw MyunHae. "I hope we didn't wake you up. I'll try to make him to be quieter next time. I'm Choi HyunMin."

"I'm Jung MyunHae. Well I don't mind that. "

"It's always nice to see someone new in here. What are you studying?" 

"Computer graphic. And you?"

"I'm on the second year of biochemistry. Not really looking foreward to begin new academic year but you must be very excited, don't you?"

"Hay! Can you shut up?! I am trying to sleep you moron" Said JaeHyun stepping from his own room and looking directly on HyunMin. 

"Hello sunshine"  HyunMin embraced JaeHyun not minding his deadly glare. "Did you know that he is on the same major as you?"

"Yes, yes. That's interesting as hell. I'd love to chatt about that with but unfortunately I want to sleep." He said coldly and went back to his room slamming the door. 

"Don't be terrified. He's always querulous when someone is waking him up or when he's hungry. But he's really cool guy. You can rely on him. Really. Did you meet anyone else?"

"Only WonHwan"

"Yeah... He is... special. We will be having one more person in a few months. Now there is KwangSoo, first year of painting, he moved in last weeek and HyongJin third year of physiotherapy."

"That sounds... seriously. And I thaught that six people are living here."

"One person moved out few days ago." 

 

After meeting HyunMin MyunHae felt way better. There is someone normal in here after all. MyunHae was about taking a shower and going back to the reading but WonHwan came again saing that everyone are playing PS and I should come over. He started to talk something about integration but Myun already knew that if he won't go he'll die tortured.

So the game started. It was some shooter game which he have never seen before. The play was one on one.  Myun had his first fight against KwangSoo, the tiny boy thet looked way younger than he was. MyunHae won to his suprise more because of luck than skills but everyone gave him huge applause.

"Beginners luck!" Complained KwangSoo.

"We'll see about that" replied JaeHyun with a smirk taking place of the loser. It took 20 seconds for MyunHae to lose dramatically. JaeHyun was smug. Too smug. WonHwan started to complain about lack of mercy. But I was already replaced by HyunMin. The people living in this dormitory started to seem less hopless. In the next days MyunHae started to avoid the prefect. He spened most of his time alone in his room sometimes going for a walk with HyunMin and his dog Nabi. And Sometimes JaeHyun was with them. MyunHae always felt like he was a few miles away while talkig with him. 

And so passed the month and the day of inauguration of the academic year finally came. MyunHae had to take a bus to the university. JaeHyun who was studying same major but the second year was going with him as all students of this major had the inauguration together. MyunHae decided to follow JaeHyun as the man knew where the assembly hall was. Unfortunately in one moment of inattention he lost him from his sight. MyunHae started to go further on hoping to see JaeHyun somewhere and stopped as a stong arm grabbed his.

"This way" he said simply. MyunHae wasn't sure if there was a bit of amusement on the others face. 

Inauguration ended quickly. Myun wanted to ask JaeHyun if he's going back with him but the man was already occupied by his class mates. Going back home Myun bought some food for the next days and some stationery stuff that he might need in a few days. When he got back home, he started to do his favourite activity. He was reading  again.

This might be confusing why isn't he calling anyone. Why isn't he sharing his new expeiences with someone. Well, the truth is that he didn't like anyone that much to care for calling. He lived before in  Seoul with his parents so he didn't change the city but he couldn't care less to inform any of his previous friends about what he's doing now. His parents on the other hand were enormously busy with their work. His mother was an architect and the father was very respectable surgeon. They didn't have time to look after their son. He also had sister. She was five years older than him and they were not that close to each other. Lately they had little skirmish. 

To stop being so dependent to his parents, MyunHae started looking for a job. KwangSoo happily informed him that in the cafe he was working, they are looking for someone as a waiter. Myun always loved cooking, so taking a job that is somehow connected to gastronomy made him agree immediately. And he knew one person that will be working with him which was a good thing.

The classes and work started so he didn't have time to go looking for a pet. He always could spend time with Nabi, but it just wasn't it. Nabi wasn't his dog. MyunHae always thaught that only pets are capable of selfless love. Humans are far from that. 

In the meantime he started to feel really wierd about JaeHyun. He had to be very popular because everytime Myun was seeing him at university he was with diffrent people. Of course they were talking but... JaeHyun had this strange habit of appearing every time MyunHae had problems, couldn't do something or didn't knew how to solve the problem. It wouldn't be disturbing if it was just one or two times. But he was ALWAYS there. And it was suprising that he was kind and cold at the same time. MyunHae can't open a jar of jam? No problem. JaeHyun appears and does that casually. He can't find the class number 311? Oh, it's all right, he'll show MyunHae where it is cause he was just passing by. And everytime he had this stupid sparkle in his eye, like he knows everything. The only person JaeHyun wasn't treating with such distance was HyunMin. It seemed they know each other for a couple of years. But the real problem for MyunHae started with the beginning of october when JaeHyun visited cafe where he and KwangSoo were working.