One

All We Need Is Luck
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Footsteps and whispers decorated the usually loud school hallway. They watch as a familiar figure walked her way to the class.

“Look its Han Jieun! The new outcast in class 2-A” .Outcast?

“She still dared to step foot here?” .Dared?

Jina had her sight fixed in front of class 2-A. This is the class. As expected, all eyes were on her.

Why is everyone staring at me? She discovered a pair of eyes staring at her in an odd manner. The tall and dark boy stood from his chair and approached Jina. Without any hesitation, he grabbed tightly onto her collar, leaving Jina in confusion.

“I’ve warned you haven’t I? Stay away from Hyerin or transfer to another goddamn school! Why are you still here?!” he shouted. Jina swallowed her saliva nervously, not having a clue about what was happening.

“Answer me Han Jieun!”. Jina’s mind snapped back to reality.

That’s right…this isn’t a dream…Disguising as my twin sister….

Jina stared into the boy’s eyes, lightly challenging him with her stares.  

 

I may be a twin but I am one of a kind.

 

“YAH! Are you deaf?!” said the boy impatiently, tugging harder onto her collar. His spits covered Jina’s flawless face, annoying her.

 

I may look like Jieun but I’m nothing like her.

 

Finally, Jina spoke.

 

“I have some unfinished business here. If you would excuse me, I need to get to my seat now before the teacher comes in”. Those words came out of Jina’s mouth eloquently despite her ‘Konglish’ accent hiding. Hope no one notices me.

 

“Unnie, where are we going? This place stinks” I said holding tightly onto my older twin’s hand. Her fingers intertwined tightly with mine, not wanting to let me go. She had a wide smile on her face, showing her happiness. I smiled back since I knew too well that she was happy that I was with her. That doesn’t changed the fact that the stench of the morning market was killing my sense of smell and the crowd and people shoving each other was disturbing my sight.

“It’s your last day in Korea and I want to make your favourite tteokbeokki before you leave. AHH, here it is” said Jieun, rushing over to a rice cake stall. I chuckled silently watching my older twin negotiating with the old lady for a cheaper price. She looked exactly like an ‘ahjumma’. I was sure that she would be the first to get married between the two of us. 

“Aishh Ahjumma, surely you could let me off today. My dongsaeng is leaving tomorrow and I promised to make her tteokbeokki” said Jieun using her ‘aegyo’ to persuade the ahjumma. As expected it was a success and the two of us happily carried bags filled with food in our hands.

“Unnie, don’t forget to Skype with me every night the moment I step foot iton my house. I’ll be waiting to see that ugly face of yours.” I teased.

“Yah, looking at you is like staring in the mirror. Anyways I’m going to miss you too….”. We laughed and joked like it was our last day together, not know what the future awaits for the two of us. Fate was cruel to the two of us. All we needed was luck and hope and each other.  

“Do you remember when we first moved in this neighbourhood? You used to love showing me off as your twin sister. Haish I sure miss those days. I was like some kind of celebrity in your school” I muttered as we enjoyed the view of the sunset.

“You sure are an old soul. Anyways, I still love showing you off! I’m going to tell everyone that my sister will be a model someday and she looks exactly like me” she said while crinkling her nose. The thing she does when she is excited.

“If only you could come…” I said quietly. Jieun shook her head before patting the crown of my head.

“Let’ eat and shed some tears alright?” she said knowing that I could not stand spicy food. I called her a cry baby silently but it turned out that I was the one with tears and snot all over my face.

 

The doorbell to the cramped up apartment rang, signalling that it was time for me to leave.

“Ms.Jina, your mother had instructed me to take you to the airport now” said one of mother’s minions. I let out a frustrated sigh. She had changed the flight earlier, wanting me in America ASAP. That . Behind him, our father stood with a sad smile.

“But I requested for an early morning flight tomorrow-“

“Jina-ah, I think it’s best if you follow your mother’s order. You know what she’s like when she’s mad” said my father with a concern look on his face. I turn to my sister who agreed with my father.

 

“But it’s our birthday tomorrow” I muttered, trying hard to not cry. Jieun held me in a tight hug.

“We’ll wish each other once you get there. Right now, yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter