The Chapter Where They Realise They're Screwed

Written

The Chapter Where They Realise They're Screwed

 

 

Making his way to the dreaded classroom, Do Kyungsoo hums a small tune to himself, hands grasping the box that contained the code. looking around he notes how the fellow students of his high school were doing the same thing; some carrying boxes like himself, others holding vials and bottles whilst a few were holding a small bag.

 

It was no surprise that everyone was holding the items as if it was the most precious thing on earth - cause it was.

 

For centuries, humanity has lived the life prophesized by the code. Albeit it didn't exactly tell the individual what their whole life was heading for but it gave a rough idea on what to expect or what to face. With his box on his table, Kyungsoo dusts off any traces of pretty much anything on his box; looking around he ensures that the majority of his classmates were here.

 

Cause today, Do Kyungsoo gets to open his box; he gets to finally read the code that's been waiting for him.

 

"Kyungsoo-yah!"

 

Turning around he grins when he sees Baekhyun taking his seat beside him, noting the bottle that he placed on his table. With a small nod he asks, "What's up hyung?"

 

"What's up? The code is what's up Soo! I can't wait to get my hands on it," his hyung replies with a laugh following after his sentence.

 

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes with a small chuckle, "You're only saying that cause you want to know if the code mentions you being filthy rich and getting married to a dark, mysterious stranger of the night."

 

"True. Though who wouldn't? Sounds like a delightful future. Besides, you get money and the looks too."

 

"Point taken."

 

Flashing cheeky grins at each other, they both took a seat as their teacher rushes in with a briefcase under his arm, only for it to be placed on the large desk in front of the class. With a small cough he claps his hand before saying the sentence "Settle down, settle down!" a few times.

 

"As you all know, it's that time of your lifetime where you have to experience the code. As taught in your classes, decoding the code will be a difficult and different task to all of you. Hence - as you all know - the exams have been postponed until the second half of the school year so that you can take your time to analyze your code."

 

At this rate, the black-haired male wanted to throw a shoe at his teacher and tell him to hurry up.

 

For seventeen years he had to wait to open his code. It was an intuitive feeling that everyone experienced upon reaching the age of five or six - at that age you were old enough to understand very little on what the code was.

 

In addition, one couldn't exactly avoid the topic. The code was touched upon in many subjects such as psychology, biology and as well as history for instance. Moreover it was pretty hard to not catch a snippet of the said code in everyday life with society now. It was a very important stepping stone in perceiving one's code; thus the government worldwide legalized for third years exam to be held halfway through the school year during their senior year which proved to be very difficult indeed.

 

"Therefore I ask all of you to use these upcoming two months and the summer holiday to understand your code. It can be very helpful for your future and may help you in your upcoming exams in the next year. The library is free if you wish to use but be very quiet as there classes and students there as well. With that said, you may open your codes and good luck."

 

Frantic hands rummaging was heard whilst others were looking at each other nervously. Nodding to each other, Kyungsoo and Baekhyun took a deep breath before proceeding to unveiling their code.

 

At seventeen, not only did they experience the adrenaline feeling of being so close to being able to open the code, but they also felt the unbearable fear of not being able to perceive it within the given time.

 

At age seventeen, not only did Kyungsoo ache to reach for his box and open the god damn sheet but he could have sworn he felt sparks upon touching the box.

 

Yet at age seventeen, Kyungsoo thought he could finally get his life sorted upon interpreting his code.

 

With the thin sheet held in between his hands, Kyungsoo's brows furrows at the sight of his code.

 

'What on earth is this?'

 

Although he understood clearly that the code can confusing at first glance, he could have sworn he was seeing Egyptian hieroglyphics.

 

Lying on his sheet were arrays and arrays of lines, so many lines: both straight and curved. He notes the occasional dots every now and then but other than that, Do Kyungsoo wanted to give up there and then.

 

Glancing at Baekhyun, both their eyes meet and they knew exactly what the other's thinking.

 

"We're so screwed." 

 


Neverlander1997: First chapter up - hopefully it wasn't too boring but it did give a background of the history of the code in general. I'm going to try update with chapters that won't aren't too long aha. Please comment your thoughts on this and see you in the next chapter!