That Reality

Wrist Writting

She never thought much on the things that everyone else talked about constantly. To [Full Name] it wasn't that interesting. Then again, she never showed much interest in anything other than her earphones and the ever mysterious music that she listened to during and out of class. Her only real interest was music.

Many of the other students thought her weird, she didn't pay attention to anything other than the music blasting through her headset, and yet she still managed to get perfect grades and have friends. She rarely spoke, and on the occasions which she did, her voice was monotonous and cold. She was the perfect ice princess, in the aspect that she ignored those she didn't benefit from, her friends treated her like royalty, and she was a spoilt, pampered girl. Well, the last part was an exaggeration.

[Name] didn't like to talk about the subject of soulmates and her inked wrist, in fact she even covered it up by wearing bracelets. Most people would think that she hates her soulmate, or doesn't believe in it perhaps even when it's happened to those around her. But the truth of it is, the words on her wrist embarrass her. 

When [Name] was younger she was teased and laughed at for the words that inked her wrist. It scared her into thinking her soulmate was maybe abusive or mean, so when she covered it up and made it unreadable, she felt like it wouldn't be true. The words in pretty, black, cursive writing, ‘I'll seriously be pissed if you keep approaching me.’.

It didn't seem like much now that she was older, but the habit of covering the words for years wouldn't go away. If she forced herself not to wear the bracelets, she'd end up scribbling on them anyway. The bracelets just seemed like a better idea than scribbles. And her cold and detached attitude had stuck through with it.

She decided to break her habit little by little, starting with her bracelets. Every week she'd take one off and lock it in a box with the rest of her spare bracelets. It was working well, and by the end of six weeks [Name] was comfortable enough to go out in public without anything to cover her inked wrist.  School was still the same though, since no one other than her friends spoke to her anyway. But she had decided to change her classmates view of her, and so she was determined to do that. 

At the end of the day when students were heading home, she had overheard a girl in the front complaining about being late to her job because the teacher asked her to stay behind to drop off a box to the storage room next to the faculty office. Thinking it was a good enough place to start, [Name] had pulled an earbud out and approached the girl. 

She tapped her on the shoulder, and the girl turned with a start. “Oh, hi, can I help you...?” She looked uncomfortable and a little irritated, but it didn't stop her. [Name] pointed to the box on her desk, “If you want, I'll take that for you. You have work right?”

The other girl looked genuinely surprised that the ice princess had a toned voice and wasn't listening to her hanging earbuds, and the shock was soon replaced with relief. “You'd do that for me? Thanks, it'd help a lot!” She smiled gratefully and moved to the side. The [colour] haired girl gave a soft smile of her own and picked up the box, “You can leave now, I'll take this to the storage room.” The classmate thanked her again and left quickly.

[Name] sighed and internally praised herself on a good job. She placed one earbud in her ear before leaving the classroom, shutting the door behind her. 

She didn't get to walk that far from the classroom before she had jumped and dropped the box from complete shock, when a booming voice had shouted closely to her face. It took her a moment to actually realise there was a person in front of her, staring down at her with a confused expression. And then the words they said had processed shortly afterwards.

“I'll seriously be pissed if you keep approaching me!” 

[Name] stared dumbfounded at the boy who towered over her. He was scowling slightly, and his whole face had changed from angry to confused in seconds.

“... You're kidding me, right?” 

She had muttered with a scowl of her own, eyes narrowed slightly as she glared. She knew who the boy was, Oh Sehun, best friends with her best friends boyfriend and soulmate. She never spoke to him though, had hardly even met him, but she knew he was quite popular and very handsome. They sometimes saw each other in the halls, exchanging nods and eye contact, but that was it beyond their interactions. 

[Name] shook her head with a sigh and picked up the box which had landed dangerously close to her foot, feeling too irritated to say much else to him. Well, he probably didn't care anyway. She continued to walk down the hall, brushing past a thoroughly confused Sehun. 

“Hang on, wait!” Sehun grabbed her shoulder with wide eyes and she faced him with raised eyebrows. “I'm sorry, that outburst wasn't directed towards you just now. I was just dealing with a very annoying person, and I heard footsteps behind me and assumed they were following me.” 

“That doesn't give you the right to yell at me. Please let go, I'm in the middle of something right now.” Sehun glanced at the box and then back at her, a desperate look in his eyes.

“Then to show you I'm seriously sorry let me help you out.  That box needs to go to the storage room, right? And by the way it sounded when it dropped, it's heavy isn't it?” Lips pulling into a frown and eyes narrowing, she spoke. “It wouldn't have made a sound if it didn't drop in the first place.” Her cold monotone was back, and it sent shivers down Sehun's spine. But seeing as he wasn't backing down the girl sighed and conceded, handing him the box.

With her wrists upturned he could easily see and read the words tattooed to her skin. A smile tugged at his lips as he took the box, wedging his fingers between hers to lift it out of her hands smoothly, making sure to keep his wrists visible as well. His tactic seemed to have worked, since when he glanced down at her she had a concentrated look on her face as she stared at his left wrist. The words written in the same colour and same cursive writing as her own, You're kidding me, right?’

And she had to wonder, was he living with the same kind of thinking as she was? Worrying about a soulmate who possibly wouldn't even care about them. And suddenly she felt like a terrible person.

“You probably already know me, but I'm Oh Sehun. You're [Full Name], right?”

She looked at him, really looked at him, and stared at his deep brown eyes. She had no idea what came over her when she said it, but when she did, it somehow felt really nice.

“No, I'm your soulmate.”