Chapter One

Which do you choose?

“Yoona-ya, can you get the rest of the boxes in the truck?” Mother called out from the master bedroom. We just moved into our new house in Seoul.  And yeah… that also means new school for me.

I’m Im Yoona, a soon to be 16 year old teenage girl who is single and lives with my beloved family which consists of my mum, dad and also my twin brother, Yonghwa.

“Nae, omma!” I replied before stopping what I was doing and headed out to the truck and got another box inside. “Here we go” I said as I place the box down in front of her. “Aigoo, I’m sorry for making you do this when you have to get ready for school tomorrow… I wonder where in the world did your Dad and Yonghwa went… they didn’t even help...” Mother pouted.

I couldn’t help but giggle at her childishness. Despite being a lady in her 40’s she still acts like a teenage girl… especially when dad is around. I’ve never seen them fight before and I’m sure it’s almost like me and Yonghwa being the parents instead when their inner childishness comes out.

“It’s alright, omma. I’m supposed to do this as your daughter, nae? Oh, let me help you with that” I said as I grab the bed cover she was holding and put it on the mattress.

“Thank you, Yoona-yah… by the way, when you were busy earlier, a young man came over and gave us a welcome gift. He seemed to be in your age. Aigoo, I should have ask where he studied… he was such a handsome man…”

“Again? Omma! I’m not even sixteen yet and you want me to date already? At least wait until I’m more then eighteen or after my study ends…” I said pouting. Mum lightly laughs at my pout and pulled my cheek. “Keep bloating you cheek, and you’ll get chubbier” she said as she did so before standing up from the bed.

“Anyways, I think it’s time for us to have lunch. Come on, I’ll make sure the guys will regret running away from cleaning up with delicious pizzas and chicken” she said as she grabbed her phone to order. I gave out a sigh with a smile on my face. “I’m going outside at the meantime, okay?” I said and received a yes.


“Wow… I can’t believe we’re living here… it’s so close to the beach too…” I said to myself as I watch the waves rolling in. “Excuse me?” I heard someone called out.

I turned to find an unfamiliar person smiling down at me. Well, he is taller than me.  “Oh, um… hello there” I greeted awkwardly,

“You’re the neighbour who just moved in right? I’m Kwon Ji Yong… but you can call me GD instead” he said stretching out his hand to shake mine.

“I’m Im Yoona. Call me Yoona. Yeah… I just moved in today. Are you one of the residents nearby?” I asked shaking his hand. “Ah, nae… actually I live next door. Sorry for not properly welcoming you earlier but I talked to your mother earlier”

“A young man came over and gave us a welcome gift. He seemed to be in your age. Aigoo, I should have ask where he studied… he was such a handsome man…”

Ah… so mum was talking about him… “Ah yeah.. I heard from her… she said you gave a welcome gift. Thanks for the warm welcome, GD-shii” I said with a smile.

“It was nothing… um… by the way, are you going to the Art School nearby? I heard that there was going to be a new student attending there” he said.

“I think so… I’ll be going to school tomorrow… are you attending there too?” I ask in curiosity. I realized that he kept looking at his watch and frowned. “Yes, I am… I think I have to go now… I’ll see you again tomorrow, Yoona-shi” he said quickly leaving so suddenly.

‘Hm? What was that about… does he have some sort or curfew or something? And why was his name GD? That is so weird… I could’ve just called him Jiyong or something…’

Realizing how long I was out, I decided to head back home.

As soon as I opened the door, the smell of fried chicken and pizza greets me warmly. “Woah, this is a lot… are you going to feed the whole town or something” I said moving to sit beside mum who was munching on a chicken piece.

“Aish, just eat already… you and your mouth. Always saying mean things to me who bought everything for you…” she tsked moving aside for me to eat. “Hehe, mianhe omma… thanks for the food” I said grabbing a piece of pizza and started munching on it.

“Oh, What is this? No fair! I want some too!” Yonghwa shout made the two of us turn our head with food in our mouth. “Go buy your own food” Mum plainly said sticking out her tongue to dad who just stood and stared at us.

But as usual, in the end, all of us got to eat after dad made his infamous puppy eyes which always melts mum’s pouting heart.


After lunch we all continued unpacking and finished by midnight. I just had a bath when I sat on the bed in my new room. ‘Hm… I wonder if it’s alright after all…’ I thought.

I actually had a huge rejection of moving away from my birthplace in Jeju. All my friends were there and I really loved them. But knowing mum and dad’s work… I can’t do anything since they have to come to Seoul a lot. You see, mum works as a business woman and dad works as an officer and always had to go on duty at the busy town. Which… really made him spend less time with us who had to live far away.

I don’t mind at all… I just hope that I can get new friends and get comfy with everyone as soon as possible.

I looked out of the window and saw the guy from earlier. “Oh, he actually did live next door…” I said to myself. I realized that he saw me and made a ‘go away’ gesture. Huh! Rude…

I decided to turn in for the day and went into deep sleep.