One

My Answer Before the Dawn [Hiatus]

In the town of Ramune, the population is at somewhere-give or take-around 3,000 people. The town has more males than females and two of the best detectives.

Kim Sunggyu, the grandpa, and Kim Jongdae, the grandson.


Sunggyu met the cold cement below him with his side after having taken a knee to the gut.

Howon pulled his leg back behind his torso before ejecting it into the center of Sunggyu's face.

"How do you like that, Detective?" Howon mocked, as blood began flowing out Sunggyu's nose.

Sunggyu tried to stay observant, noticing two silhouettes tower behind Howon's build.

"Huh? How do you like that, Filthy Trash?" Howon mocked, before spitting down onto Sunggyu's face. "Come on, guys. Let's go." Howon urged the two shadows about his height along with him.

Sunggyu, covered in saliva now, waited for Howon and his backup to leave before crawling his way to the phone he had dropped earlier.

He weakly muttered Jongdae's name.


Jongdae pushed his way through crowds of dancing clubers.

The music blasted, pounding into the depths of Jongdae's ears as he poured drinks on men with cute girls.

"Oops! Sorry about that! Clumsy me!" Jongdae shouted as he s past his victims.

Jongdae suddenly felt a strong invisible force pulling the hairs on his back upward as if someone had said his name.

Jongdae was distracted when he heard a familiar tone coming from his front pocket.

He hurried to a less populated area and pulled out his phone. He checked the caller ID.

"Oh! It's Chief!"

Jongdae answered.

"Sup, Chief!"

"Yah, Jongdae! Where are you guys?! Why isn't Sunggyu answering his phone?!"

"Uhhh...."

The music blasted in the back.

"And...why is it so noisy!? You little rats! Why-"

"Sunggyu and I are loosening up, Chief!"

"I told you-"

"Sorry, Chief! I can't hear you! I guess I'll just have to call you later!"

"Jong-"

Jongdae hung up.

"Where is Grandpa?" Jongdae asked himself, before deciding to call Sunggyu. "Hey, Grandpa-"

"Help~ Me~ Jongdae~"

Jongdae swore he was on line with the grudge.

"Grandpa? Is that you? Are you in the senior home already?" 

"Help~ Me...."

"Yah, Grandpa."

"...."

"Grandpa. Sunggyu! Hyung! Hyung!"


THE VERY NEXT MORNING

In an office where Jongdae was present, a man in white spinned around in his chair before Jongdae, lights flickering above them.

In the stranger's hands, a clipboard rested there with a few pages of printed paper.

At the heart of the man's white coat, a golden badge shined in the light.

The badge spelt out DR. LEE SUNGYEOL.

"So...you are Kim Sunggyu's partner?"

The lights flickered again.

Sungyeol looked up at the lights then back down at a nervous Jongdae.

"Sorry about the lights." Sungyeol said, clearing his throat. "Anyway, your partner's on his way to recovery. He should be fine in a couple days."

Jongdae sighed in relief, a smile spreading across his face. 

"Also...do you by any chance know of any past or present health conditions your partner may have or has had?"

Jongdae's relief faded with his smile.

"No. Not that I know of." Jongdae answered, dumbfounded.

Sungyeol pursed his lips as he diverted his attention away from the detective and flipped through the papers.

"Really? Because your partner is constantly asking for the hospital to do further testing on him. In every category from mentality to eye sight to CAT scans." Sungyeol stated.

"I...I...I wasn't aware of this." Was all Jongdae could muster.

"Oh, is that so?" Sungyeol said calmly, before standing and making his way to the door.

Sungyeol took hold of the knob and opened the door, gesturing that they were to exit.

"Shall we go give Mr. Kim a visit?"


Sunggyu switched through the maximum of five channels the hospital had.

"Why couldn't they have chosen a better hospital for me?" Sunggyu complained as the door to his room opened.

"Mr. Kim, right?" Sungyeol said, making his way to Sunggyu's bedside with Jongdae behind him. 

"Yes, I would think so." Sunggyu said in a heavy Busan accent.

Jongdae frowned.

"I am Dr. Lee, your doctor for today. Tell me, how are you feeling?" Sungyeol asked, taking a seat a few feet from Sunggyu.

Sunggyu coughed.

"I don't know. You're the doctor, you tell me." Sunggyu said, not losing his accent.

Sungyeol nodded.

"So I will tell you. I am the doctor." Sungyeol said, taking a breath and standing upright again. "Mr. Kim, you are not sick, therefore, you will be discharged tomorrow for the minor injuries gained today." Sungyeol looked to Jongdae. "Detective Kim." Sungyeol said, bowing slightly, before taking his leave.

Once Sungyeol left, Jongdae raised a brow.

"I don't know if I'm sick. I need a doctor to tell me." Jongdae said in a Busan accent, mocking Sunggyu as he took over Sungyeol's chair.

Sunggyu huffed.

"Shut up-"

"Yah. Why did you go after those guys by yourself anyway? I told you we'd go together in the morning." Jongdae said.

Sunggyu furrowed his brows and shook his head.

"No. If you won't do your job when you're supposed to, I'm not going to wait for you even if it means I get beat up in the process." Sunggyu stated.

Jongdae sighed and shrugged.

"Oh well then. Nothing I can do about you, Grandpa. Just be careful or try to be patient next time." Jongdae suggested.

Sunggyu groaned as he sat up.

"Sure thing, Grandson. I'll make sure to keep that in my head." Sunggyu said sarcastically.

"What were you doing anyway? How did you get beat up so badly, Grandpa?" Jongdae asked, ignoring Sunggyu's sarcasm.

Sunggyu put a hand to his bandaged nose, gaining a pushed laugh from the latter.

"I was tracking Lee Howon and-"

"You got caught. How rusty are you?"

"No. He wasn't alone. Turns out the guy has buddies. Two to be specific. I tried to get a look at their faces but with that Howon bastard swinging at me, it was impossible." Sunggyu said.

Jongdae stuck out his lips in thought.

"So...where do you think they went?" Jongdae asked.

Sunggyu shrugged.

"I don't know." Sunggyu answered.

Jongdae clapped his hands together.

"Okay then. Do you want to tell the Chief what happened? Cause I don't." Jongdae said.

"Yeah-yeah. I'll tell him." 

"Good." Jongdae said, getting to his feet. "Well, I need some sleep so...you wait here for a better tomorrow." Jongdae said. "And hey! Don't think you can get out of this by pretending you're sick." Jongdae said.

"Hey, you don't know if I'm sick or not. You're not a doctor, Grandson." Sunggyu said.

Jongdae bobbed his head.

"Got it. I'll be going then." Jongdae replied in a british accent as he made his was to the door.

"Wait! Grandson!" Sunggyu called.

Jongdae turned around.

"What?" Jongdae questioned with a heavy tone. 

"Next time, get me a better hospital or you're dead." Sunggyu said under a dangerous tone. 

Jongdae flap his arms in midair recklessly and left the room.