Twenty-Two

Winter in a Cardboard Box
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I think it's amazing how you stayed with me."

"What do you mean?"

"Back then, when I was just beginning to recover, I wanted to be left alone. I pushed everyone away. Except you."

"What makes me so special?"

"You?..I don't know... I just figured having you in my life would make it a little better."

"Do you still feel that way?"

"You mean, do I still want to be left alone?"

"Yeah, does it bother you that I'm here?"

"I'm glad you're here with me."

"Me too."

"Alright, I'm off."

"Wait. You forgot to kiss and hug me."

"..You sound like a little kid."

"Don't just stand there. Kiss and hug me."

"Fine."

"Thank you."

"What was that about?"

"What do you mean?"

"Why are you suddenly so..clingy?"

"I just wanted to make sure my last words with you were something good."

"...Why does it sound like you're going to disappear?"

"I'm not going to. Well, I don't know. You know how I don't like planning ahead.."

"Yeah...?"

"Because I find it strange. Why do we plan ahead when we don't know what's going to happen in the future? You're going to work. I'm going to stay here. But what if something happens? I had a friend in the military one time, I told him I'd tell him a joke when he came back, and well, I never got to tell him the joke. I wish I had said something better instead. So every time I don't see you..every time you leave.. I want to say something before it's too late. Because you'll never know what will happen."

X X X

Despite the hot fire the Eve

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter