The Story

The Little Sunflower’s Ray of Sunshine
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s late afternoon in Seoul with the sun’s steady yellow gaze grazing over the city, it’s Jeon Jeongguk’s last class and he’s starting to lose every bit of focus that he has inside of him. No matter how much he wills himself to absorb the facts that his professor is relaying to him and his classmates, it just goes in inside one ear and out the other. He tries staring intently at the middle-aged man in the center of the room but there’s no improvement, his words still sound like gibberish. He clenches his fist in agitation because he should be listening right now but how could he when Kim Taehyung, his boyfriend, sits next to him and chooses this inappropriate time to share about the happenings of the videogame night he had with Jimin.

“So I was winning already but then Jimin elbowed me in the stomach which made me let go of my controller and then his car zoomed past mine!” Taehyung complains in a whisper like manner. Before that he was narrating how they were playing Super Smash Brothers but since he was constantly beating Jimin in the game they switched it to F1.

“You should have expected that since Jimin-hyung hates losing” Jeongguk replies quickly. He knows better than to ignore Taehyung because if he does then the brunette would just annoy the heck out of him until he gives a proper response. The raven haired boy tries to regain his thoughts about the lesson even though he knows that it’s too late now, but that doesn’t stop him.

“I’m going to get him back for that, what do you think should I do Kookie?”

Jeongguk thinks. “I don’t know, maybe prank hi—“

“Jeon Jeongguk” A voice from in front calls him.

. The younger thinks. He rises from his seat and faces his professor slowly who is looking at him with a tint of anger on his face.

He found out you weren’t listening this is just great Jeon Jeongguk. Way too add more stress to your day.

“So Jeongguk what is the answer?”

The raven’s eyes flit around nervously. What was the question? Could anyone help him? His fingers slowly thrum on the desk he’s using.

At the corner of his eye he sees Taehyung scribble something on a strip of paper and gives him a thumbs up gesture. He reads it quickly and he does not know what comes over him but he decides to recite the answer his seatmate provides him.

“Elephant heart, sir”

The whole classroom erupts into fits of laughter and Jeongguk feels intense humiliation creep up on him. Besides that he is furious, for being so stupid, for letting his classmates make a joke out of him. But mostly he is furious at Taehyung who just had to talk to him and give him the wrong answer, who is guffawing besides him as if he did nothing wrong.

He sits down wordlessly as the professor silences everyone.

“For those of you who didn’t listen, my question was: Human blood pressure data, such as 120/82, provides which of the following kinds of information? And the answer is blood pressure against the walls of the arteries” After that he continues the lesson, ranting about heart ailments and crap.

Jeongguk spends the rest of the period seething.

 

 

As soon as class ends Jeongguk fixes his things hastily, stuffing everything in his bag in a messy manner. He’d take care of that later, what he needed now was to get away from Taehyung. Zipping his back pack he quickly runs outside.

“Jeongguk!” Taehyung yells out after him but he lets the voice fade away as he distances from the room.

He couldn’t go back to his shared dorm with Taehyung so he finally decides that he’ll crash at Hoseok’s place for a while.

His shoes makes imprints on the dusty ground as he walks by the university’s fountain that isn’t working. It was supposed to be fixed a few months ago but it seemed that the maintenance team forgot about it. He thought that it’d be impossible for Taehyung to find him at this moment because one, he didn’t see where Jeongguk went to and two, not a lot of people passed by this spot.

He assumed wrong.

“Kook!—Jeongguk-ah!” A breathless voice calls him and he identifies that it belongs to Taehyung. His slow paced walk is replaced by a sprint and he holds his bag firmly to prevent it from becoming a nuisance.

His efforts, he finds out, are in vain when Taehyung catches up to him gripping his arm in vice-like way.

“Ya! Why didn’t—you—wait for me?” The elder asks while catching his breath. Jeongguk does not give an answer, instead he removes his arm from the hold Taehyung has on it.

“Is this because of what happened in class a while ago?”

Taehyung is still met with silence.

“Jeongguk, just tell—“

“Yes okay?! It’s because of what you did in class! I couldn’t concentrate on the lesson because you kept on talking! And finals are coming up Taehyung!” The elder stares at him in shock because Jeongguk rarely screams, never actually.

But the younger continues. “You even embarrassed me Taehyung! Talk about adding insult to injury. And this isn’t even the first time! And it’s just so tiring how I have to ing take in all the embarrassment because…” He points at Taehyung’s chest in an intimidating way. “You joke around always!”

The brunette bites his lip and stares at the ground. “I—I didn’t mean—“ He starts but then he is rudely cut off.

“You didn’t mean to?! Is that it? How could you say that when you were fully aware of what you were doing?!” Jeongguk’s eyes lit up with rage. Taehyung draws a blank when he tries to come up with a proper explanation because clearly he is in the wrong here.

“I just I don’t know any more Taehyung” Jeongguk sighs, the whole day has been really tiring for him that’s why he’s bursting right now. “And to think, you’re the older one between us. You’re supposed to be 22” He turns his back so that he can leave.

Tears flow on Taehyung’s face as the words that Jeongguk said register in his mind. His fists start shak

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter