o1

Flight

     YoonGi sighed as he leaned against the window, quietly listening to his managers talk loudly together while the other members began to drift to sleep. He quickly slipped out his phone and plugged in his earphones, playing a soft song to help ease his anxiety. They were going back to America and there was only one thought on his mind. More like one person.

 

one year ago

 

 YoonGi inwardly sighed as he began tapping his fingers against his armrest restlessly. There had been an error with his ticket and seating and instead of sitting near first-class where the other boys were, he was moved into the back of the plane, alone. At least there weren’t any babies.

    The last of people were boarding the plane, finding leftover spots in the cabins above to store their carry-ons. As the flight attendants helped the remaining people, YoonGi decided he’d try to get some work in at least, considering that he was wide awake now and couldn’t fall back asleep. He quickly pulled out his notebook and pen from his bag, using the  armrest as a desk instead of the tray-table since they’d be leaving soon. As soon as he began writing though, a shadow fell over him as another passenger stopped in his aisle. He bit back a sigh, wishing that they’d be sitting on the other side since he was sitting alone at the moment.

    “Excuse me, I’m sorry to ask, but would you mind if we switched seats? And I sit by the window instead?” YoonGi heard a soft voice say before looking up to see a girl staring at him questioningly. Aside from the confusion that he felt at that moment, he felt a shock go through him as he stared at the girl. Time seemed to slow down as his mouth fell open and tried not to stumble over his words. Her voice though, he just wanted to hear it again.

    “Sorry… Um, no English,” he decided to finally say as a light blush rose on his cheeks. He should have listened to NamJoon some more whenever he tried to teach him English.

    “Are you Korean?” She cautiously asked in Korean before YoonGi nodded with a sigh of relief. A bubble erupting within him. “Ah, I was wondering if you would mind switching spots with me?”

    YoonGi looked out the window quickly counting the number of times he’d seen the view of the city as they lifted off the ground before turning back to the girl.

    “Sure, no problem,” he simply replied, grabbing his bag and moving out to let her in.

    Once she replaced his seat, he began to panic, wondering if he should take the seat next to her or the seat next to the aisle. He didn’t want to seem rude, but he didn’t exactly want to socialize at the moment either. But then what if she thought he did mind? Before he could take any longer to debate with himself, a man reached their aisle, standing behind him quietly.

    Figuring that he’d be sitting in the same row, YoonGi moved in quickly into the middle seat, slipping his bag under the seat in front of him. When the man turned to the other seats instead, YoonGi mentally face-palmed wondering why he was so nervous in the first place. It was most certainly the girl approaching him in English. That had to be it.

    “So, I’m guessing that you were just visiting? The U.S. that is,” the girl asked as she exhaled shakily. She obviously didn’t know who he was, he immediately picked up. He wasn’t sure if that was a good or bad thing though. Or she could have just been pretending to not know him. Or pretending to be calm about it since she didn’t want to be crazy about meeting him.

    YoonGi bit his lip, holding back a snappy remark that was threatening to escape. His eyes widened in surprise at himself; maybe he should pay more attention to the snarky things he said to the members. It’d gotten so bad that it began a habit; he didn’t even realize that.

    He inhaled deeply before politely saying back, “Uh, yeah.”

    Silence quickly filled the air between the two of them with YoonGi’s short answer. Before he knew what he was doing though, he felt the urge to talk bubbling inside of him before his mouth opened, words tumbling out without his control.

    “Is it your first time flying?” He asked noticing that her shaking had stopped.

    She looked up at him for the first time and his breath was taken away as he looked into her eyes. It was as if he were falling down an endless abyss, shades of pink and purple surrounding him in calm manner as he waited to see if there could ever be an end to the endlessness. With a small gulp, he tilted his head towards her more, hoping that would encourage her to talk instead of letting him continue to fall.

    She smiled and his heart nearly jumped out of his mouth as she said, “Is it that obvious?”

    He cracked a grin before chuckling lightly, she was cute. Most of all, she was totally his type.

    “Aside from the shaking and tense shoulders, no. It’s not,” he while she joined in his laughter.

    “It’s my first time flying,” she quickly explained before adding, “I was already nervous enough but my parents added on more after exclaiming about how it was an eleven hour flight.”

    "It helps to look at the clouds," it slipped out without him realizing, but to his luck, she returned the gesture with the soft whisper of a thanks.

    YoonGi nodded and sighed, feeling more relaxed although he couldn’t get rid of the erratic beating of his heart. His mind was swimming in thoughts and all the ill and bitter feelings he had had twenty minutes ago about sitting alone in the back were washed away. As if he did this everyday, he continued the conversation with her, and for the first time ever he pushed his notebook to the side, slipping the pen into the metal spiral.

///

    He woke up with a jolt, seeing her standing next to him.

    “Sorry, I just need to go to the bathroom,” she apologized quietly.

    YoonGi nodded understandingly as he unclipped himself from his seat and got into the aisle. He glanced outside the window and realized it was night time now, hence the darkness throughout the airplane as other passengers slept with the exception of a few lights . He quickly slipped back into his seat and noticed that his notebook was on the floor. It had probably fallen from his lap when he fell asleep after talking with her. Reaching over, he took it back and flipped to the page he had been working on, scanning over the lyrics he had. Exhaling, he flipped the page to a clean one and began writing a new set of lyrics, his heart beating softly against his chest as his hand swiftly wrote the words across the page.

    His thought process was suddenly cut off when she returned, apologizing for getting in his way again. They quickly got into their seats and YoonGi returned to his writing, stopping when he felt a curious gaze burning a hole through him. Protectively, he shielded his writing with one arm before looking up at her.

    “What are you writing? If you don’t mind me asking. It’s just that you seem so into it,” she smiled nicely. YoonGi felt another shock throughout his body and cleared his throat, bashfully scratching the back of his head.

    “It’s just some lyrics for a new song,” he simply explained as he opened the book and flipped through the other pages for her to see.

    “Really? Are you in a band?” She innocently asked making him chuckle to himself.

    “Actually, yeah,” he nodded and smiled widely.

    “Can I read them?” She cautiously asked, trying a small push at it.

    YoonGi sighed before shaking his head, “They’re not done yet.”

    “Alright,” she nodded respectfully before she began asking him more about his band. YoonGi couldn’t help let his gaze drift to the front of the plane as he began telling her about the genres of music they wrote and sang. Then it got to the members and he couldn’t resist but tell her everything he knew once he heard her laugh as he told her a story about TaeHyung. In any other given situation, YoonGi swore he wouldn’t have let himself go like that. However, with this, he felts as if if he didn’t, there’d be a part of him that would always regret it all.

///

    YoonGi grumbled quietly as he felt a hand shake him firmly, bringing him out of the second long slumber he had had during that flight. Before he could comprehend what was going on, he was pulled out of his seat by his manager, ushering him towards the exit.

    "Wait, my bag," YoonGi turned back to grab but his manager pushed him forward again, muttering that he would get it. They were already running late as if. The only thought that was running through YoonGi's mind after that moment was that he hadn't gotten the chance to say goodbye to her. In fact, he didn't even see her.

    "Did you have fun sitting in the back?" JiMin teased as YoonGi joined the group again.

    "It actually wasn't that bad," YoonGi shrugged as he stretched his arms with a loud yawn.

    They all brushed it off before their managers began dragging them away again, trying to get them to the studios to get their hair and makeup done. YoonGi continued to look around cluelessly, trying to catch a glimpse of her in the crowd, although that seemed impossible enough. Luckily, the had arrived without announcement and the boys were able to relax as they hurried to their car, hoping that they would be able to get out before being bombarded by their fans.

    "Here, your stuff," YoonGi heard his manager say as his bag and notebook were pushed into his hands in their hurry.

    "Thanks," YoonGi exhaled as they finally reached the exit. The members quickly filed into the van, YoonGi last to get in. Why he finally got into his seat, his manager immediately shut the door and he breathed a sigh of relief. As much as he enjoyed America, it was nice to finally be home. Before he could get caught up in his thoughts about the girl again, he quickly pulled out his notebook and flipped to the last set of lyrics he had been working on.

    His brow quirked up in interest when he saw a small scribbled message in the corner of the paper. A smile made its way onto his lips as he realized what it was, with a set of numbers listed below it.

    I'm going to be here for a month. Maybe we can meet up sometime before I leave. Or if you ever drop by the U.S. Again, give me a call. xxx-xxx-xxxx.

   He couldn't really believe that he had gotten her number. Especially since a part of him had been dying to get it, but he knew better. Socializing with her that much was already too much. If his managers found out he had gotten a stranger's number, who knows what would have gone down. With their fan base still growing, it wouldn't have been a pretty blow. But now, he wouldn't, couldn't, do anything about it. She had given him her number and he simply had it. Nothing more, nothing less.

 

present

 

    The eleven hour flight ended faster than YoonGi expected, knowing that the entire time he couldn't stop thinking about her. It worried him more that he had become delusional and really believed in having a chance at anything. He was an idol, and with that status, any mentions of a relationship were bound for backlash no matter how many fans claimed their undying and loving support. In extreme cases, it'd most likely get as bad as getting threats from fans.

   He quickly shook the thoughts from his mind as he looked at his phone to check the time. The plane was landing now and YoonGi couldn't wait to get out. Before the flight, he had made sure to send a text letting her know that he'd be coming back to the U.S. for promotions. It had been about twelve hours since he sent that message and she still hadn't replied. He never messaged her much, to be safe, and was hoping that she hadn't gotten a new phone. The one thing that scared him the most though was the thought that she had found someone else already, knowing well that the two would never really have a chance after finding out that he was in a famous boy band in South Korea. So when he stepped off the plane and followed his managers to the exit, he was surprised to see it.

    Standing in the crowd amongst the fans, he spotted a sign saying

enjoy the clouds?

    His lips upturned into a smile as his eyes met with hers for the briefest of moments, before he was ushered out the doors and into a van where the members immediately went back to sleep. All fears from before were automatically washed away. It was enough, that she had come just to see him, and the fact that she was just as satisfied to see him. Yup. He confirmed it. She was totally his type.