I even had a dream and you were there

Always remember

{Always remember}

 

Jinki found himself in a forest, walking along a path less covered by fallen leaves from the surrounding trees. The place was quiet, save from the few twittering of birds up in the high branches and the sound of dried leaves crunching underfoot as he continued on his destination. He had no idea of where he was going but he walked on anyway.

 

Out of nowhere, a bunny appeared, blocking his way. It was snowy white and seemed to glow so that the surroundings looked dull and faded. He looked at the bunny curiously because it was so beautiful but it only blinked back at him. Then it hopped forward, seeming to lead the way. Jinki followed it.

 

At the end of the path was perhaps the largest tree in that forest. A small wooden door was at its base. The bunny pushed the door ajar and went inside.

 

"Hey, where're you—"

 

He squeezed himself into the door too small for his body, traces of the white bunny gone. Jinki expected the room on the other side of the door to be the inside of a hollowed tree but, looking around, it was as if he was transported into another place. He even checked outside the door to see if he was still in the forest, and he saw that the path he walked on was there, yet the inside looked so different.

 

It was a spacious ballroom. There was a platform where instruments of different variations sat, their musicians gone. There was also a small banquet of delicious foods, their smell wafting enticingly. Few tables and chairs were against the wall. A grand chandelier hung from the ceiling.

 

Directly below the chandelier was Sunyoung, wearing a periwinkle gown and a silver tiara upon her curled short hair. She looked glittery and simply stunning. She was smiling at him.

 

It was only then that Jinki realized he was wearing a tuxedo, with a deep purple necktie to match Sunyoung's gown, his hair styled. He can't remember what he wore when he was walking in the forest.

 

"Wait, what..."

 

He approached Sunyoung. "What's all this?" he said. "Am I dreaming?"

 

"I don't know," Sunyoung replied. "But don't you like this place? This was exactly like our wedding party, right?"

 

"Yeah," Jinki smiled. "Yeah, exactly."

 

Jinki decided that he would just enjoy this time with Sunyoung. Everything was so extravagant to ignore. He took her hand and put the other on his shoulder. He then placed his right hand on her small waist.

 

Slow music played despite the absence of musicians. They swayed from side to side in time with the beat. Jinki was watching Sunyoung's expression and she seemed so happy and contented. Jinki's heart swelled inside his chest. He pulled her closer and closed his eyes.

 

"But," Jinki whispered, "Where is everyone?"

 

"Does it matter?" Sunyoung asked. "Maybe they all wanted to give us time together. This, after all, is our wedding night, isn't it?"

 

"Well, yeah. But I'd appreciate it more if our friends would be here to celebrate with us."

 

"I like having you all to myself," Sunyoung said.

 

At that, Jinki held her tighter and kissed her forehead gently.

 

"I love you, Sunyoung."

 

"I love you too, Jinki."

 

They stayed like that, swaying to the slow music, until everything faded around them. The food, the instruments, the tables, even the walls, they all faded into gold dusts, until the only thing remaining was the chandelier overhead and Sunyoung upon his chest. His senses dimmed until he could no longer see. He could only feel Sunyoung's hands until even she disappeared—

 

Darkness.

 

 

 

 

 

Slowly, Jinki opened his eyes. It had been dark because his eyes were closed. But then he woke up from that dream and found himself in the bedroom he shared with his wife. The room was bright, Sunyoung had made sure that everything would be nice in their small house, and it was especially brighter today because of the sunlight pouring in from the open window. The light pink curtain was quietly billowing with the wind.

 

The door opened and in came Sunyoung.

 

"Good morning, love!" she greeted him happily. "Did you sleep well?"

 

"Yeah," he replied. "I even had a dream and you were there."

 

"Really?"

 

She gently pulled him out of bed and led him to the dining area where she prepared breakfast. There were eggs and bacons, a loaf of bread, a slice of melon for each of them, and fresh milk.

 

"Wow, everything looks so delicious!" Jinki pecked Sunyoung's nose with a small kiss and she scrunched her face adorably.

 

"So, what was your dream all about?" Sunyoung inquired as they sat and began to eat.

 

Jinki munched on a slice of bread. "Hmm, I was walking in a forest and a rabbit came to lead the way to a huge tree with a small door. I entered and found a roomy hall. In the middle of the room was you, looking extra-beautiful than usual," he smiled and Sunyoung giggled.

 

"And then?" Sunyoung prompted.

 

"It was like the party on the night of our wedding, except that the place was more spacious and there were no other person in the room but the two of us," Jinki described. "We danced a bit and talked. And then I said 'I love you' and you replied that you love me too."

 

"But I do love you!" Sunyoung emphasized.

 

"Yes, my queen, I know that," Jinki laughed, "And I love you too!"

 

They smiled at each other like fools in love, and Jinki pulled Sunyoung in for a sweet kiss. He caressed her face gently afterwards.

 

"Always remember that I love you," Sunyoung reiterated. "I want you to be safe and happy all the time. Always smile. You know how much I love your smile."

 

Jinki nodded, feeling overwhelmed with emotions too strong for his lovely wife.

 

Sunyoung continued, "Whenever you're upset, just think of me. Think of all the good memories we've had. I'm always here for you, okay? Whatever happens, I'm with you."

 

Jinki furrowed his eyebrows. "Of course, my love, but why are you saying all these things? You're so weird."

 

"Because I want to," Sunyoung said simply. "Lastly, take care of our baby. Raise her well, pour her all your love and support, keep her happy, and protect her at all costs. She's our treasure, your princess. Remind her that I love her and that I'm also always with her."

 

"But we don't have..." Jinki was confused.

 

Sunyoung only smiled. "I love both of you. Always remember that."

 

 

 

 

 

Jinki seemed to emerge from deep water. His eyes hurt and his chest hurt even more. He felt groggy. Minho was there, it was he who woke his hyung with worried expression on his face.

 

"What— Where's—"

 

"Sorry to wake you up, I know you needed rest." Minho talked in a very solemn voice. "Soojung was crying earlier; she's with your mother now. You should eat dinner."

 

He shook his head awake, trying to keep everything in his head. He must not let anything slip past his memory. He must remember everything. He replayed it all in his mind silently.

 

Jinki was wearing a black suit and a black-and-white armband. When he exited the small chamber where he fell asleep, he saw Mr. and Mrs. Park sitting on the floor with his father, in front of the wall of white flowers with Sunyoung's large photograph in its center. His mother is nowhere to be seen. His gaze did not linger too long at Jinyoung; she looked so much like her sister, and it hurt him more.

 

There were many people outside in the hallway. Everyone was wearing black. As they saw him pass, they muttered their condolences. He only bowed at them slightly in reply.

 

Minho led him into another room and handed him a lunch box. "Victoria dropped by earlier and she was looking for you. However, she saw that you were sleeping. She just told me to impart her condolences for her."

 

Jinki merely nodded, not even bothering to touch the lunch box that Minho offered. He stared at the floor but not really seeing it. He felt so tired.

 

"Hyung..." Minho hugged him and patted his back. "Everything will be okay."

 

"Yeah..." he sighed and broke the hug to eat his dinner.

 

He wanted nothing but to go back to sleep, only to be with Sunyoung again.

 

 

 

 

 

It was a dream-come-true when Sunyoung finally had their first child. Jinki was overjoyed and excited. Sunyoung had three miscarriages prior so her pregnancy was really sensitive. Jinki took the time to look after her wife so she could deliver their baby well.

 

But what they thought of as a very beautiful dream coming into life became an ugly nightmare. There had been complications on the night of Sunyoung's delivery and it was a choice between her and their child.

 

Jinki insisted that Sunyoung must survive but Sunyoung wanted their baby to live. She gave her life for their child.

 

 

 

 

 

With Soojung, Sunyoung lived on.

 

 

 

 

 

Jinki wanted to spite the baby, Soojung, because she took her mother's life. But Sunyoung asked him to take care of her, he does not want his wife to die in vain, and she was their daughter no matter what. Now he pledged his life to protect this child who looked so much like her mother, Sunyoung's total replica. He cannot despise this child, his only remaining treasure.

 

"Dad, why is mom's death anniversary the same as my birthday?" Soojung wondered as they lay roses on Sunyoung's grave. She turned five today and it was also Sunyoung's fifth year death anniversary.

 

"Because your mom died while bringing you into this world."

 

Little Soojung's face fell. "I...caused her death?" There were tears forming in her eyes.

 

"No. Don't think of it that way," Jinki said gently. "She loved you so much she was more than willing to sacrifice her life for you. Because she wanted you to live," he explained. "And so you must live well."

 

Soojung pouted still.

 

Jinki smiled at her. "Smile, Soojung. Your mom wanted you to be happy always, she told me that.

 

"She's always with us, your mom is. She promised that she'll look after us," Jinki said.

 

"But she's under the ground now," Soojung replied.

 

"No, Soojung," Jinki chuckled at his daughter. Why is it that kids always tell the absolute truth of things? "Your mom is there," Jinki said, pointing at his daughter's heart. "Your mom's physical self is under the ground, yes, but her memories and her love, they are all in there. And also in here," he added, pointing at his own heart.

 

At that, Soojung tilted her head to the side. Indeed, she was still too young to grasp everything. But someday, she will understand.

 

"Enough of that, cupcake." Jinki lifted her up. "Where do you want to go? Zoo? Mall? Restaurant?"

 

Soojung put her finger on her forehead as she contemplated her choices. "Um..."

 

"Ah, how about we go to the amusement park?"

 

Soojung's face lit up, as bright as her mother's had been. She inherited her mother’s sunny attitude, thank the heavens. "Yeah!" she shouted excitedly.

 

"Let's say our farewells then. Goodbye, mom!" Jinki said, and Soojung copied her. "I love you mom!" Soojung added.

 

"We love you!"

 

 

 

 

 

Author’s note:

Hello! How was it?

I wrote this after experiencing false awakening (AKA dream within a dream) for about four times already and it’s only this last time that I thought of making a fanfic out of it.

I would really appreciate it if you leave a comment and extra happy if you subscribe! ^^

Also, you may reach me through my Ask.fm account at http://ask.fm/jysong0228.

I hope you liked this. Please check my other Lunew stories.

Thank you for reading!

 

-TDLIH