His Fear

A CHOICE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

It was late Saturday evening and Gimpo Airport was as loud and chaotic as always. Children screaming, pushing their parents, stressed from traveling hassles, into screaming themselves. Women argued with employees at check-in over the size and number of bags that were allowed as carry on.

 

But near the airport’s main entrance, all noises turned to excited whispers and pointing of fingers as a young brunette woman approximately age twenty six, walked through the door. Rolling behind her a Louis Vuitton Monogram Idylle suitcase, the matching duffle hooked on her left arm. Her heels clacked on the marble floors and she neglected to remove the oversized sunglasses on her face even while indoors, already claiming a celebrity sighting.

 

 

 

Some of the more seasoned locals who held their share of “run-ins” with the rich and famous managed to stifle any sort of reaction. A few clueless people glanced around helplessly, at a loss for why one woman had managed to draw so much attention to her merely by existing. But quickly they caught on to the clear message being conveyed: She is definitely somebody.

 

Unfortunately, the plane heading from Seoul to Busan was a packed flight. First class was completely booked, and the brunette woman, clearly a celebrity, who was often used to private flights or at least a separate section found herself situated in a window seat, on a three seated aisle. A middle aged woman directly beside her, with her, a little girl to the furthest left.

 

“Omo!” The woman said, once she had fully adjusted herself and the little girl in their seats. “What are the odds I’d end up on a flight seated beside a famous actress? It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

 

The brunette woman, who had removed her sunglasses during security, smiled courteously and nodded.

 

“My granddaughter watches that drama of yours all the time. The one about producers…” The woman shook her head, unable to think of the title.

 

“It’s my favorite!” The little girl leaned over and grinned.

 

At this point, the brunette’s smile turned genuine and she too leaned across to be face to face with child.

 

“Annyeong!” She beamed. “What’s your name?”

 

“Na Eun.” The little girl replied. Her hair was twisted into two braids, and she shyly played with one of them when she spoke.

 

“That’s a beautiful name. You’re very pretty.” The actress replied.

 

“Thank you.” The girl giggled, and grabbed on to her grandmother’s sweater bashfully.

 

 

 

The woman smiled, but then sighed. The shade of brown of the little girl’s eyes flooded with troubled and she suddenly had no desire to interact with anyone. She leaned fully back in her seat, staring straight ahead trying to meditate and relax her mind.

 

 

After deciding she wanted to be left alone, she had assumed her wish to be automatically granted but apparently, she hadn’t played her dues in the way of small talk. For a moment she appeared to be formulating an answer and then she carefully replied, “Family ties.”

 

“Oh! Are you from Busan?” The woman appeared to take delight in this, smiling fully her top lip revealing her gums.

 

“Yes. I lived there my whole childhood actually.”

 

“So did I! I moved to Hongdae when I was in my twenties and had my family there. But my eldest recently took a job back in Busan and now that she’s settled in her new home, I’m flying out there with her little girl.” She patted Na Eun’s leg and smiled. “My name’s Hayoung by the way.”

 

 

 

The captain began talking to the flight passengers through speakers causing everyone to fall hush. The safety precautions were reviewed as the flight began preparing for take-off. The warning to put away all electronic devices was issued but the blonde reached under her seat into her bag and withdrew her iPad anyways. The stewardess stared at her and the brunette raised her eyebrows daring for her to say something.

 

The stewardess did not; and even shook her head, as if to answer no to the woman’s challenge. For the rest of the flight, the celebrity on board had a diversion and did not speak another word to any of the passengers.

 

 

~

 

 

“I was watching TV today and I saw a commercial.” Yeonna stated.

 

Yonghwa in a deep breath and glanced over at his four year old, seated in the passenger seat staring straight ahead as they drove to the movie house.

 

He scoffed. There were times when Yeonna brought up commercials, merely because she wanted a toy being advertised just like any other child. But when she spoke in that placid tone, not turning to look at Yonghwa for even a moment, he knew she was being serious and he knew why.

 

“It was a trailer for something new.” She continued.

 

“Oh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter