Study Habits

Study Habits - Barom

Raking your hand through your hair for the millionth time, you sighed and closed your eyes allowing your body to lean back against the base of Barom’s favorite chair. Not knowing what to do next with your studies, you let your brain digest the pages that you were trying to memorize for your finals.

Sitting with his legs over the arm of his favorite chair, he glanced over at you for a moment before returning his chocolate eyes to his phone. Feeling his chair gently shift from you sitting up from leaning against his chair, you let out a soft sigh while your fingers tucked your hair behind your ear then pulled all of your hair over one shoulder.

Organizing your papers gently, you stacked the current pile of papers covered with subject matter you were trying to memorize and cram into your brain. Thinking that this was a good time as ever to change your focus, you pulled out another text book and turned to the earliest chapter that was going to be on the final.

“I can do this” You whispered to yourself, reading a few paragraphs, you let your head rest against the pages of the book. Barom’s eyes turned from his phone once again as he saw your shoulders rounded but slightly move with each breath you inhaled.

“Why don’t you take a break?” Barom inquired, watching you for the past three hours sigh, lean back, get frustrated and run your fingers through your hair. He knew that your brain must be getting exhausted from all of the information, not even to mention the pressure and stress you must be feeling.

“I can’t” You replied simply, picking up your head from the pages of the book.

“Why not?” Barom adjusted slightly in his chair to lean his head against the back cushion.

“If I take a break then I am wasting time, time that could be spent preparing myself for the finals I have to take” You explained as your eyes slowly followed the printed words on the page.

“Why don’t you try and listen to a certain song while you study a subject, when you hear the song again you will remember all of the information that you were studying” Barom recalled from his phone, as he was reading up on how to help you, knowing just how important your studies were to you.

“Do you think that it will work?” You turned around and looked at him with wide, perky eyes

“That is what Google said” He chuckled, shifting his eyes from his phone to your eyes.

“I guess it couldn’t hurt” You mumbled to yourself while turning back around slowly. “What kind of music did it say to listen to?”

“Orchestra versions, something without a lot of words to confuse your brain” He regurgitated from the previously read article. With a nod of your head, you pulled your phone over and started to play some songs without any lyrics.

Psyching yourself up, you focused harder than ever on your books and notes that you tried to memorize. Changing subjects after an hour or two, you found yourself in another lull, resting back on Barom’s chair, you leaned your head back and rested it against his thigh.

Opening his tired eyes, he glanced over at you, seeing your head against his leg.

“Everything going okay?” He mumbled in his slightly sleepy voice.

“No…” You hummed letting your head rock from side to side.

“Did the music help?” He questioned, rubbing his eyes with his free hand.

“Not as far as I can tell… it just annoyed me more” Your voice slightly tapered off, not wanting to offend your boyfriend for trying to help you.

“Maybe you should take a break” Barom yawned, yawning after him, you shook your head.

“I shouldn’t, I am so close to being done for the night” You relaxed against his chair while you took a few deep breaths. His fingertips gently played with your hair, twirling and twisting it around his fingers, careful not to knot it or pull your hair to cause you pain.

“If you won’t take a break… why don’t you change scenery?” Barom offered

“What do you mean?” Your head tilted back to look up into his brown eyes softly gazing down at you.

“Why don’t you come and sit somewhere else and study?” He pet your head slowly, letting his eyes slowly wonder your tired face.

“Where did you have in mind?” You questioned, lifting your hand up to play with his bracelet dangling from around his wrist.

“Grab the book you want to study and stand in front of me” He says with a smile, gently removing his hand from your soft, silky hair.

Nodding your head, you sat up and grabbed your English textbook before you stood in front of him just like he wanted you to. Once you stood in front of him, he sat up and rested his hands on your hips and gently turned you around so your back was facing him. Pulling your hips gently towards him, you bent your knees as he guided you onto his lap.

“There you are~” He sings as his arms snake around your waist as he reclines against the chair.

“How is this supposed to help me?” You question looking at him, his head gently pressed against the leather.

“It helps you relax” He smiled and rubs your back as he allows you to adjust before you lay against his chest, your back pressing against his chest, you opened your book and allowed your legs to tangle with his.

Barom’s clasped hands gently rested over your stomach, his thumb gently brushed over your stomach once and a while. Reading over your shoulder, he pulled a blanket from the back of the chair and laid it over your lap while keeping your chilled legs warm with his. 

Kissing your cheek, he slowly moved his kisses down along your neck as you couldn’t help but smile and bite your bottom lip. Happily being distracted by your boyfriend, you leaned into him and hummed softly.

“I have to study if I am going to sit here” You reminded quietly, with a gentle nod of his head, he sighed and settled down in the chair with you on his lap.

Sliding his eyes closed to rest, Barom continued to hold you in his arms while you read the chapters that you needed to refresh yourself on. Letting time pass, your eyes got heavy with exhaustion, slowly closing your eyes, your head lulled to the side as Barom woke up slightly from your head tapping his chin. Bringing his hand up to your hair, he pet it gently to see your hands start to fall limp against the pages of the book.

Marking your place, he carefully slid the book from your grasp then let it down on the floor with a quiet thump. A hum spilled from your lips before your body gently shifted then relaxed against his, slowly moving his hands, he pulled the blanket up on you higher then reaching up behind him and pulling the chain on the lamp that was giving off a comforting yellow glow throughout the room.

“You’ll rock these tests” His soft yet kind and loving voice slowly spilled over your ears. “But no matter if you pass or fail… I will still love you” He placed a kiss on your temple.

“I will also take you out for ice cream after your last test, just as long as you dream of me.” With a soft chuckle lining his words, he carefully tightened his arms around you before allowing his eyes to close pulling you into dream land with him.