Seat Belt

Eco Drive Love

 

Just knowing you’re there makes me feel secure…

 

Seat Belt

 

Coming in with a nervous heart after passing the first part of the series of exams and test, Bae Joohyun, or mostly known as Irene by everyone, fidgets in front of the office window as she waited, having told that the schedule for her driving license road test would also be today, which she totally forgot to get prepared at if it weren’t for her evil siblings bothering reminding her.

 

“Ms. Bae Joohyun”

 

Called the person behind the window after some time, announcing her name through the speakers.

 

“YES!”

 

She said stiff while waiting on her place, walking like a robot when she was gestured to come forward. Good thing it was just a short distance or else she’d look like fool. But then again, the title was rightfully claimed by her best friend so she shouldn’t worry much about it.

 

Getting the number that the bearded guy handed, she then read a big “43” on it, somewhat smiling at how the numbers seems to be in her favor. Not to mention she had a good feeling because of it.

 

When the words of the talking announcer on the speaker eluded her ears, the next thing she knew, her fellow applicants are now on their way to the road test location.

 

“Ok~ Irene hwaiting!”

 

She then told herself in a loud cheer, getting hyped up as she also got moving along.

 

*****
 

“Number 42”

 

Standing up with confidence as the male applicant went onto the driving range, the ever nervous girl behind him who is now clutching the piece of paper who held her number looks at the place feeling more tensed than ever. Though some say it was almost the same as the previous course test, the addition of personal presence of someone else made her feel uneasy at the idea.

 

“Aish…where is everyone when you need them…”

 

She told herself, looking for any kind of moral support. Since there was no one to grab or hold on to, she then held the hem of her clothes to remove the anxiety that was fast growing inside her.

 

Though she was not really that prepared for this occasion, she did try her best to look presentable while sporting a pink hair tip, coupled with her simple gray one piece that had a cute suspender-like designs.

 

“Oh my…I’m next…”

 

Standing up because of the pressure that is rushing inside her, she then did a little bouncing motion, as if she was feeling the cold breeze that was biting her exposed skin.

 

To her surprise however, a certain someone draped something soft on her shoulders.

 

When she turned to see what and who it was, furrowed eyebrows welcomed her that was followed by its cute owner.

 

“Don’t be nervous. You can do it”

 

Said a rather low tone.

 

The what turned out to be a padded jacket while the who appears to be a shorter girl.

 

“T-Thanks…”

 

She then said, not knowing what else to say. She’s shy around strangers so she can’t even look at the other in the eyes, but because she needed to say her gratitude, she managed to relay the simple word.

 

Standing beside her, the other nodded in acknowledgement.

 

“No problem. Besides, I work here. You can have that at least until it’s your turn”

 

Pointing at the black colored item, it left Irene astounded, not because of the kind gesture but with what the other had said. It may be rude to do so but she scanned the other from head to toe.

 

“Seriously she’s a working girl? But she seems like a high schooler though”

 

Not wanting to assume because she might be proven wrong, a part of her expression gave her unspoken thoughts away. Besides, she’s not the one to talk anyway.

 

“I’m already 21 in case you’re wondering”

 

Is what the other stated when she felt the other checking her out, rather literally.

 

Blushing madly at the words, the pretty damsel lowered her head as to hide her burning cheeks, not knowing what to do as she was too embarrassed at the current situation.

 

“Haha, I get that a lot don’t worry. I mean the usual assumption”

 

Remaining silent as it was the typical her, something about the words made Irene feel like talking more, wanting to engage in a decent conversation. She didn’t want the other to feel like she had judged her.

 

But sadly though, she didn’t have the courage to do so. In the end, she remained her lips sealed.

 

When the gentle being noticed this, she then laughed, making the older girl looks up to see a very genuine smile.

 

It had this kind and approachable feel to it and it made her want to know more of the friendly person. Her disarming presence also added to the growing desire of gaining the other’s friendship.

 

And while she was thinking of the best way to convey her intention, in her longer staring, the other flashed a wide grin before a soft tune was heard.

 

It was a cell phone alarm.

 

“Oh, sorry I must go, my break is almost over”

 

The stranger then said.

 

When the disappointment was seen as if she was a kid that was told she can’t have candy after eating a meal, it was when the smaller girl giggled at the reverse charms.

 

“You’re rather interesting Ms. Bae, I know you’ll pass your test, hwaiting~!”

 

She then said before leaving, waving a small goodbye and a cheer of encouragement.

 

By the time the older girl remembered what she came for, the announcer who had began to change tone made her body shivered with its threatening voice.

 

“Last call on number 43, please enter the driving lane number 1”

 

Nodding even though she knew it was rather late and she was definitely not listening at all, she then smiled awkwardly as she took baby steps forwards the assigned place, where the gate was opened and she was allowed to enter.

 

Seeing the looks of the strangers around, she then sported her dismay at the attention she got. Oh well, at least she’s not that nervous anymore. Good thing the jacket was able to hide her somehow.

 

And while she entered her assigned vehicle, the appearance of her instructor made her wide eye with what she saw.

 

*****
 

Going inside as she opened the door to the seat beside the driver’s, a girl sporting blue hair tips enter the test car with a small file on one hand, while the other waved a small gesture of hello.

 

“Hi~ good to see you again Ms. Bae”

 

She then greeted. It was none other than the stranger from before.

 

Immediately pouting when realization took place, the older girl looked at her in a failed threatening manner.

 

“You didn’t tell me that you’re an examiner…my examiner never the less”

 

She then stated.

 

Feeling like she had seen the most adorable expression in the world, the driving instructor just smiled, before extending her hand in introduction.

 

“Haha, I did said I work here didn’t I? Wendy Son at your service”

 

She said with a wide grin.

 

Reaching for her hand, the other shook it lightly.

 

It was actually normal at some point until a tingle of something made her retrieve her hand back.

 

“W-What on earth…”

 

If she was not mistaken, it was like an electric shock? She then shook her head to erase the strange thought. It’s not possible that she felt something remotely similar to spark or electricity now did she?

 

And while she was left to wonder what it was, she then diverted her attention and chose to be the professional she is.

 

“S-So, let’s get started shall we?”

 

She then said, un-expecting her stuttered words.

 

And with the other agreeing, they formally started the test drive, going into their examiner-applicant mode as the older girl started the 4-wheeled vehicle.

 

When the engine geared up, it was Wendy’s cue to formally start the exam.

 

“Ok, so what is the first and foremost thing before running a car?”

 

Getting out her file and pen as she side glances the applicant, she then saw the other thinking in manner she had not seen before.

 

Batting out her girly eyelashes, the other then made an impression as if a light bulb lit up and then she pointed at the black thing that is attached beside her, located a little bit above her shoulder line.

 

“Seat Belt!”

 

She then said, just like a 5 year old would.

 

Laughing at the cuteness, it made the olaf nicknamed girl feel proud like a mother would.

 

“Right~”

 

Getting each their own, they soon began buckling up.

 

When soft ticks and a locking sound was heard, it made the younger girl shift her body as she gently patted the other’s shoulders with her two hands for a job well done.

 

With their close proximity, it made their cheeks have this pinkish color to it as the other retrieved her hand and faked a cough.

 

“I’m sorry…so anyway, moving on…”

 

The instructor apologized.

 

And while she felt stupid at the unnecessary action, she then moved on and marked the file as she proceeded on the next question.

 

A little while after the older girl cleared the inquiry one by one, they carry on the manual driving.

 

“Ok, since you seem good to go, then let’s get rolling!”

 

Laughing at the English accent that she added at the last part, the awkwardness was finally forgotten and the comfortable atmosphere started to blossom.

 

All the while at the ride, the older girl showed outstanding performance despite being a first timer.

 

Though at some point the other made her heart pound for various reasons, the overall was satisfactory especially coming from a beginner.

 

Of course, not wanting to give a grade because she was influenced by something else (not that she would admit), the other gave a fair verdict.

 

“Well, Ms. Bae…”

 

Prolonging the killing suspense as she furrowed her eyebrows, the anxiety is almost killing the other as she griped the nearest item she was able to grab, which was none other than the seat belt attached to her.

 

Laughing because she can’t contain her feelings due to the applicant’s cuteness, the examiner stretched her hand as if to reach something, smiling her widest.

 

“But before I give my verdict, I suggest you loosen up a bit? If the seat belt is alive, you are now choking it…”

 

Saying those words as she pointed at the maltreated object, the other jumped on her spot as she was too surprised, almost having a mini heart attack.

 

She then stared at the teasing girl with a big pout, as if she was prank by someone behind her back.

 

“Haha, sorry sorry…But really, I promise I won’t bite so don’t be so nervous”

 

Nodding a little as she was still recovering at her initial shock, the other didn’t prolong the good news anymore as she clapped her hands in excitement.

 

“Congratulations! You actually did great!”

 

She then happily announced.

 

Looking at the other with her now wide eyes, the girl having pink hair tip was so surprised that she was not sure if she heard just right.

 

“Really?”

 

She then said in disbelief.

 

“Yup~”

 

Wendy said in a sing sang voice.

 

It took a little while before the other got to process the whole happening as it seems like she was rather a slow one.

 

“Ah! Thank you!”

 

Said the pretty damsel in bliss.

 

Laughing again because of the charming personality, it was the first for the known olaf to feel just like her nickname when she felt like melting, seeing how the other smiled like the sunshine that was slowly dissolving her.

 

In all honesty, it was by chance that the examiner was assigned to the future driver, so she was thankful to have met such innocent and cute girl who is unbelievably older than her by few years.

 

Bowing her head as to hide her blushing face, it was when she felt like turning into puddle for real when warmth started to envelop her body.

 

It’s within that small moment when she felt something inside of her moved in synchronized rhythm.

 

*****
 

In the midst of realizing she had passed the exam, the pretty daughter of Daegu suddenly felt like she was currently on cloud nine when her body moved on its own, unable to stop the rush of emotions.

 

When the next happening took place, it made both individuals surprised when arms were wrapped on one another, the gap they had before turned into nothing with the warm embrace they shared.

 

It was already late before they get to realize the current situation they are in, all thanks to the loud sound coming from the announcer speaker that disrupted their moment.

 

“A-Ah! I think that’s our cue? Congratulations again Ms. Bae”

 

It was the girl having blue hair tip to break the awkwardness.

 

Lowering her head to hide her red face, Irene was brought back to reality as she tried to unbuckle the strap, clearly shaking a little due to the fact that she just hugged a complete stranger as if they are long time friends.

 

“H-Here, let me help you”

 

When the examiner helped the applicant remove the black colored thing, soft hands overlapped, along with something else that it made them both stay still.

 

And as if on cue, when they removed their hands, the soft tick from the seat belt was forgotten as their faces were painted a very vibrant red color.

 

It was so much later that both will get to realize what their flushed faces meant.

 

*****

 

“Joohyun ah…aren’t you forgetting something?”

 

Pouting her lips as she crossed her arms while taking her seat beside the driver’s, the girl who formerly had blue tip hair is now looking expectantly at the girl beside her, with the other sporting a confused face.

 

“Eh? Like what?”

 

She then said with her innocent look, making Wendy let out a sigh.

 

“And I really thought you were too good to be a beginner back then. Where did that girl I used to know go? I should have failed you that day…”

 

She then said dramatically.

 

Earning a slap on her shoulders, the older one who used to sport a pink hair tip made a threatening glare.

 

“Yah! Son Seungwan! It’s your duty to keep me safe! After you declared something like that…”

 

Irene then said, starting what seems like a usual monologue.

 

After hearing the line of words, the other blushed at the memory almost instantly, not knowing how and why she had said those finger curling cheesiness back then.

 

If only she could, she would definitely convey her feelings some other way round.

 

Few days after the incident at the driving range, Irene found herself getting back at the Drivers License Agency office once more, having been notified that her license is now complete is more than ready for release.

 

Though it was true that she will go back again to obtain the ID she needed, there’s a more personal reason as to why she wanted to return at the place again, having a heart that is more anxious than her actual driving exam.

 

And while she waited in front of the usual window that will announce her name, she then scanned the place in high hopes, clearly knowing that the employee she was looking for would be aware of her presence that very day.

 

When the familiar bearded guy called for her name and announced the claiming window, the next thing she knew, she already got her license on hand, finding everything happening in fast motion as her body moved on its own despite how her brain is clearly preoccupied with something else. Or more exactly, someone else.

 

Frowning at the image of the card, she then heaved a sigh. Now that she got what she needed, there should be no reason for her to stay on that place anymore now is there?

 

And while she leaves the office with a heavy heart, a loud honk-like sound made her jump on her spot in pure shock, turning to glare at whoever rude individual that person might be.

 

Letting down the window on the driver’s seat, the owner of the blue sports car smiled at her, the toothy grin the other gave seems to turn her blind with its brightness.

 

To her surprise, it was the girl she was hoping to see all along.

 

“Irene shii! Good to see you again~”

 

Said the examiner she knew very well, waving enthusiastically at her direction.

 

When she lowered her head in acknowledgement to the other’s presence, she then batted her eyelashes in a girly manner.

 

“Wendy shii, it’s nice to see you too”

 

She then said. Well, more like she was hoping to see the other in the first place any way.

 

When they finished their short greeting all thanks to the other’s bashful nod, a small silence followed suit.

 

They actually stayed in that moment of tranquility when the older girl decided to break the ice this time around.

 

“Uhhh…”

 

But then again, she didn’t really know what to say so she just made a gesture as if she had forgotten what she wanted to say.

 

“Well, actually…”

 

Fidgeting around the steering wheel, the other inhaled deeply before she got the courage she had summoned from deep within.

 

“If you’re not doing anything…can we like…go out? For a cup of coffee or something…”

 

Is what the shorter girl said, smiling shyly after scratching her head.

 

Of course, her final answer was a timid “I would love to”.

 

And with that said, Irene got onto the waiting ride where the other even got out of her car so that she could open the door to where the older girl would be sitting.

 

Thanking the other for gentleman like act, when both had settled inside, the vehicle got a move on and off it goes to the nearest cafeteria.

 

And while the two are on their way to where a friend of Irene works for, the red light indicating the stop mode came and the examiner followed the rules of the traffic light as the professional she is.

 

And while they were waiting, it was in that spur of the moment where the younger girl blurted out her true feelings.

 

“You know, I’d never been so envious of a seat belt before…”

 

Were her starting words, almost startling the other despite of taking glances of the cool driver from time to time.

 

“Eh?”

 

Of course the older one was confused more than anything else.

 

“I don’t know if you’d believe me or what but when we were conducting the road test, all I think about is how I wanted to be the one keeping you safe instead, and how I wanted to be the one who would protect you from harm”

 

With those honest words escaping her lips, Wendy knew that it was now or never.

 

“I know we just met and all...and it’s pretty ridiculous of me to say, but I think…”

 

Turning her head to finally give a proper gaze, the younger girl summoned the last once of courage she needs to say those 3 words.

 

“I like you”

 

And just like that, everything seemed to stop and all the noise was zoomed out and they felt like there were being trapped inside a void.

 

“I like you”

 

With those words echoing over and over again, silence filled the small space before the traffic light turned green and all the cars behind them began buzzing loudly, just like how reality came crashing down onto them.

 

And while the older girl was still recovering from the shock, the follow up question is what made her feel like she would faint anytime.

 

The words “Will you let me be your seat belt?” were the ones that made her almost have a heart attack that very moment.

 

Smiling wide as she recalled about that time, the older girl made a teasing look at her companion who began to grow uncomfortable in her seat, somehow having a look that she wanted to strangle her or something, so that she would stop talking about the embarrassing past.

 

“Who would have thought that someone would be able to confess that way? I certainly didn’t expect that kind of confession”

 

She then said, having full understanding that the other meant to ask her something more along the lines of “Will you be my girlfriend?” instead of the strange use of words.

 

“No…please don’t remind me…”

 

Covering both her ears as she didn’t want to be reminded of that time, Wendy shook her head as she tried to block as much of the story as possible, not wanting to remember such while the older girl laughed at her usual reaction, almost effectively making her shut whenever the other tried to nag her about the rules and whatnot she sometimes tend to forget.

 

Though in actuality, the very first rule is what she remembered most, but purposely skips it out to serve as a reminder of the time the younger girl confessed her feelings for her.

 

“But really…I was glad you told me your feelings back then Seungwan ah. Thank you”

 

Irene then said after, having seen how the other removed her hands as soon as she remained her lips after her story telling. Or more like, past reminiscing.

 

Turning to look at her, the older girl smiled some more as she started the ride, not forgetting to buckle up the seat belt that served as a special ritual for her, leaving the other dumbfounded.

 

She then did the honors of doing the other side since the other was still staring at her in disbelief.

 

“Don’t worry, I won’t forget. Thank you for being my seat belt Wan ah~”

 

She then said before giving a quick peck on the other’s cheeks.

 

“Hyun ah…you’re so mean at times”

 

Pouting at the amount of tease she got that day, the olaf nicknamed girl made the older girl smiled at the sight.

 

“But you still love me for it~”

 

She then said, making the other submit in pure defeat.

 

When Irene finally got the car rolling, the issue was forgotten and they were back to their usual selves.

 

Taking a glance at the other from time to time, it made the pretty damsel curve her lips upward, as she decides to keep the next words unsaid.

 

“Like a seat belt, just knowing you’re there makes me feel secure…”

 

She then thought, making her smile wide.

 

And with those words engraved deep in her heart, she knew that she wouldn’t want anything else. That no amount of other things will give her the happiness she desires.

 

For all she needs is right there beside her, buckled up and will always be with her. Her very own seat belt, a girl named Son Seungwan.

 

 

- THE END -

 

Yay! WenRene story done and posted! Took me some time to finally post it. XP

Anyway, I'm sorry to all my ChicBears, I promise the next update would be a JoyGi one. >_<

Stay tuned and see you next time~ Hwaiting~! XD

 

Jya neh~ ^_^