The Lonliest Day

When He Was Heard

        The light from the moon shone bright, illuminating the silent room, this night, like every other night being cold and lonely, only a sleeping cat to keep the boy company. The time on the digital clock changes, getting the boys attention. It was already one a.m., the black haired boy unable to fall into the sandman’s comforting arms.

        The boy, unable to get even a moment of rest sits up, letting out a sad sigh. After a moment he reaches out to the grey tabby by his side, hoping that he can get some comfort from the small creature. At his touch, the cat lifts its head, moving into the boys hand and begins to purr, the simple vibrations bringing up a sadness that was hidden deep within him. His large hand the small head of the cat, his fingers moving to rub the delicate creatures chin. I remember how much you like this. A sad smile graces his features. I’m so sorry I’ve changed… He leans his head down, tears threatening to spill. As if knowing what the boy was thinking, the cat opens its eyes, the beautiful green orbs staring up at him while letting out a beautiful meow, a meow that went unheard…

        That night, the boy cried himself to sleep, his sobs drowned out by the never ending silence.

 

 

 

 

 

        With the morning light came the tall black haired boys wake up call, the grey tabby batting at his nose and cheeks. With a sigh he rolls over, reaching up and rubbing the cat’s head softly, feeling the comforting vibrations as he moves down the creatures back. Is it breakfast time already? Breathing out slowly, the boy sits up and checks the time. 7:15 the clock on the dresser read, breakfast time coming fifteen minutes late today. Come on boy, it’s time to get up. He moves the blanket aside, getting out of bed slowly.

        Going to the kitchen, the tall boy opens the cupboard, reaching in and pulling out his cat’s favorite food. “Ryoko!” he calls out, silence greeting him and burying itself in the depths of his mind. Did he even speak? Was his call only in his head or did it really come out? How would he even know when he heard nothing but silence? Pouring the food into Ryoko’s dish, the boy feels his heart aching, tears threatening to fall as the simple task that once annoyed him goes on in silence. How much he missed the loud clank of the dry food pouring into the small tin bowl, no one would be able to understand.

        Looking to the stereo, a smile graces his features, music always cheered him up and energized him for the day ahead of him. He moves toward the stereo, his fingers gliding over the surface until they gently press the on button, anticipation for the song he knew would play eating at him; but nothing comes, no song, no sound, just silence. Moving toward his bedroom, he drags his feet, looking at the photos on the wall as he passes them, wondering how his mother and father have been and wanting to talk to them so badly, needing the comfort that he knew they could provide. Every morning the boy would call his mother, missing her dearly and telling her about the previous day then asking about hers, listening to her beautiful voice ask him when he’ll be returning to China and responding with an ‘I’ll be there soon mom.’ As he looked at her smiling face, his heart sunk, longing to hear her comforting voice telling him that it’s going to be alright, that he’ll get past this as if it was something simple; but he knew he couldn’t and that he wouldn’t ever be able to.

 

 

        The white towel brushes over his face, the boy running it through his hair in an attempt to dry the damp locks, finding comfort in the familiar feeling. The soft fabric tickles his skin as it moves across his neck, making the boy shiver. He pulls the towel to his cheek and closes his eyes, remembering when he was a child, his mother yelling at him to get out of the pool as his grandmother finished making dinner. "Huang Zitao! Get out for dinner!" Her beautiful voice sounded across the yard, the twelve year old boy looking up to see her standing there holding a towel with open arms. "I'm coming mom!" He yelled back and climbed out, getting scolded for climbing over the side and not taking the stairs. "Zitao! How many times do I have to tell you not to get out like that?" She would shake her head and throw the towel over his head before rubbing it in his hair and over his face, the boy protesting the entire time, saying he could do it himself only to be ignored. He knew his mother only did it for his own good, eventually giving up doing it and letting her continue. He smiles at the memory before looking to the old photo once more, missing his mother dearly. I'll go see you soon mom...

 

 

 

        Red and orange paint his vision as the boy walks down the street, the evening sky filling him with a sense of adoration, a smile gracing his features as he looks on into the sun set. He takes a long breath in, his mind clearing, pushing aside all of his pain and admiring the beauty that lay before him. He had always loved watching the sun set, doing so with his mother and father ever since he was a child, loving how one day the sky would be red and orange then the next, it could be purple and pink, the colors mending together in the most natural, perfect way. As day turns to night and the sun retreats, the tall boy is content, making his way back home to where he would find himself just a little bit happier, even if that happiness only lasts momentarily.

 

 

 


So, how was it? I know it took a long time, I'm sorry to keep you all waiting! I hope you liked and if you did, please comment, subscribe, and upvote~~~ Thank you so much for reading! <3