Five Times

When You Say Nothing At All

Taehyung first saw it when they were first introduced to each other.

It was a rather normal school day and Taehyung was hanging out with his friends at the cafeteria.

"Hey, there's a newly opened burger joint just a few blocks from school," Jimin said in between mouthful of corn chips. "Why don't we check it out?"

Yoongi, the person sitting next to Jimin shook his head. "Really, Chimchim? Is food all you could think of?"

"You better stop eating before you turn into a pig," Hoseok piped in, doing a hive-five with the red head.

Jimin just blinked at them before shrugging and lifting the edge of his uniform, casually exposing his six-pack at them. "Nah, I don't think so."

The pair frowned at the younger boy before Yoongi slapped Jimin playfully on the head. "Show-off."

Taehyung watched his friends goof around as he silently eat his sandwich.

"Hey, Namjoon," they were interrupted when two girls approached their table. "We actually need your help with buying the materials for our class' booth decoration and stuff. You know, for the upcoming school fest."

"Oh, yeah, sure, Eunhi" Namjoon agreed right away, being the naturally helpful boy he is. "Just message me the time and place."

Taehyung's gaze fell on the other girl who hadn't said a single word since they arrived. She looked so timid but pretty, nonetheless.

"Thanks, Joon, you're the best!" Eunhi beamed before slapping the blonde boy on the shoulder. They were about to walk away when she turned back at them like she forgot something. Taehyung noticed that the quiet girl suddenly clung to Eunhi's arm like she's stopping her from doing something.

"By the way," Eunhi had a sly grin on her face while her friend was already flushing red. "Can you introduce our dear Yoonmi here to your friend?"

Namjoon perked up at that and slowly, a same sly grin formed on his lips. "Oh, who among them, Yoonmi-yah?"

It was obvious that the two were teasing the shy girl and Taehyung can't help but secretly smile at her cute blushing face.

"E-Eunhi, w-what are you doing?!" Yoonmi stuttered in a small shy voice and Taehyung found it endearing.

"Aww, she's cute," Jin chimed in making the girl blush harder.

"Stop teasing her Namjoon hyung, Jin hyung," Jungkook playfully chided the older boys. "She looks like a tomato already."

Okay, looks like Taehyung isn't the only one.

Eunhi chuckled at her friend and answered for her instead. "It's---," she was cut off when Yoonmi clamped a hand on .

And Taehyung found himself waiting for her to continue.

"Kim Taehyung!" Eunhi blurted when she finally managed to escape her friend's grasp.

The said boy's eyes widened and his heart skipped a tiny beat. He had to bite the inside of cheek to prevent his smile from showing.

Their table erupted in teasings and cheerings like some group of highschool girls, attracting the attention of other students.

"Nice one, Taehyunggie," Jimin nudged his friend with a teasing smile.

Taehyung's gaze flicked over to Yoonmi and he found her covering her red face with both of her hands as she hid behind her friend.

He chuckled inwardly at her cuteness before standing from his seat. His friends were surprised when he did so and were even more surprised when he stood in front of the unknowing girl.

"Hi."

Yoonmi froze when she heard that deep voice. She slowly brought her hands down to make sure if she was hearing things right.

She was greeted by a pair of warm brown eyes and an equally warm smile, making her blush intensify

"I'm Kim Taehyung," he introduced himself as he stood up straight and Yoonmi realized how tall he really was. The boy extended a hand to her and she internally panicked.

She was tongue-tied and can't even move until her friend nudged her back to life.

"Ah, y-yes, I-I am Park Yoonmi," she mentally cursed herself for stuttering yet again before reaching out to shake his hand.

"It's nice to meet you," Taehyung said with a gentle smile as he squeezed her soft hand ever so slightly.

Seeing him smile like that, Yoonmi can't help but smile genuinely back at him, cheeks still adorned with a pretty shade of pink. "It's nice to meet you, too."

Taehyung felt a sudden swarm of butterflies invade his stomach when her lips curve to that beautiful smile.

And that was the first time...

 

***

 

The second time he saw it was when his Namjoon hyung dragged him to the mall with him.

"What are we doing here, hyung?" Taehyung asked the older boy as they entered a coffee shop in the mall.

"To get some coffee?" Namjoon answered him half-teasingly.

The younger boy can't help but roll his eyes. "Yeah, right."

Namjoon only chuckled at his friend before waving over to someone at the corner of the shop. "You'll thank me later for this, brat."

Taehyung raised a brow at his hyung. "What do you mean?"

He was answered when he heard the familiar voice of Eunhi. He whipped his head towards their table and his eyes met hers.

"Damn, kid," Namjoon whispered to the boy as they walked over to the two girls. "Can't you at least hide that smile of yours?" Then he snickered. "Play a little hard-to-get, man."

Taehyung tugged the brim of his snapback lower to hide the blush creeping his cheeks because of embarrassment. He cleared his throat, putting on his poker face, but he can't deny the weird fluttering feeling in his chest.

"Yo, Eunhi, Yoonmi" Namjoon greeted as he slid on the chair in front of Eunhi and leaving Taehyung to sit across Yoonmi.

"Hi, guys," Eunhi cheerfully greeted back. "So, I see you brought some reinforcement."

Namjoon chuckled as he swung an arm around Taehyung's shoulder. "Of course, might as well put this rascal to good use."

All the younger boy could do was to grumble about how his hyung had tricked him into helping them.

On the other hand, Yoonmi was just silently observing her companions but was paying particular attention to the dark haired boy. She found it cute how the boy pouts and complains to Namjoon.

"Here's the list of what we have to buy," Eunhi passed a piece of paper to Namjoon.

"Good," the boy nodded to himself. "I know just where to buy this things.

"Great!" Eunhi grabbed her bag before she stood up. "Let's get going then."

They left the cafe and went to the nearest handicraft supply store.

"Okay, find these things," Eunhi said as she handed a list to Yoonmi. "While we find these," she grinned as she held her own list up.

"It'll be faster if we're going to split up, so, you---," Namjoon pointed to Yoonmi "and you---," he pointed to Taehyung. "Will be teamed up."

Before any of them could even protest, Namjoon and Eunhi went off.

The pair was suddenly engulfed in an awkward silence until Taehyung decided to break it. "So...what's the first thing on the list?"

The girl looked at the paper in her hand, refusing to meet him in the eye. "Uhm, styro balls."

They walked together in another silence towards the particular isle. Taehyung was lagging a few feet while having a debate with himself on how to approach the shy girl. He was normally a chatterbox and can make small talks even with strangers but when it comes to her, everything becomes awkward.

When they arrived at their destination, the girl scanned the racks for the correct size of the styro balls they needed. Her eyes lit up when she saw what she was looking for but it was seated at the top most layer of the tall rack.

With a determined look on her face, she stood on the tip of her toes and tried to reach for the styrofoams.

All this while, Taehyung was just watching her cute attempts of reaching for the balls. When he finally can't take it anymore, he went to her and patted her head.

"It's cute seeing you try so hard but you can also ask for my help, you know?" he told her while sporting his rectangular grin.

Yoonmi instantly blushed at the contact before carefully moving out of the way. He's right, with her height, she won't be able to reach it without a ladder or something but at least she tried. She bit her lip as she watched his tall form from behind. Yoonmi was never used to having someone help her because she grew up to be an independent girl. 

"I'm sorry," Taehyung was startled when he heard her soft voice spoke to him. " It's just that, I'm not used to asking for someone's help but thank you, anyway."

He secretly smiled to himself for reason's unknown to him. He peaked at her from behind his shoulders and that's when his hands slipped, knocking the other styro balls on the process and making a domino effect.

Yoonmi gasped when styro balls rained on Taehyung. She watched as the boy tried to dodge the balls and shield himself, finding the scene actually funny. Yoonmi suddenly burst into soft giggles and it rang pleasantly into Taehyung's ear.

The boy thought that things like this only happen in the movies but, heck, all he could hear right now was her melodious laughter and he could only gape at her.

Taehyung felt the familiar swarm of butterflies in his stomach when Yoonmi's laughter gradually ceased to a bright amused smile. Her cheeks were tinted in pink and she really looked pretty with her lips curved upwards.

"I'm sorry but you really looked funny back there," she apologized as she tried to bit back her smile.

Before he knew it, his lips tugged into a smile, too.

 

And that was the second time...

 

***

 

The third time Taehyung saw it was when he was having a massive headache.

It was the third day of their week-long school festival and Taehyung was having a not-so-good-day. He slept in late the previous night because he needed to finish the props that will be used for their booth at the last day of the festival and it took its toll on him.

"Ah, I'm finally free from booth duties!" Jungkook sighed in relief as he stretched out his limbs.

It was already four in the afternoon and the school day was almost coming to an end.

"Why don't we visit Namjoon's booth?" Jin suggested to his friends seeing that the said boy was the only one missing from their group.

"Good idea, hyung," Jungkook grinned at the older boy, his cute bunny teeth showing.

Yoongi let out a low whistle as he looked at his two friends with a teasing smile. "I'm betting my pinky that it's not Joonie you wanted to see."

Taehyung, who's being unusually quiet because of his growing headache, raised a brow at what the red head said.

"Exactly my thoughts, Yoongi hyung," Hoseok grinned slyly as he did a high-five with the boy.

"Hey, Tae, you okay?" Jimin asked the silent boy walking beside him. His brows furrowed at the sight of the boy's crumpled face.

Taehyung blinked and quickly slipped his poker face on before answering his friend. "Yeah, just a little headache."

Not long after, they arrived at their friend's booth and Taehyung's eyes unconsciously searched for a certain brown-haired girl. He immediately spotted her but his friends were already flocking the front of the booth and she didn't seem to notice him. He can't help but took note on how Jungkook is getting extra playful with Yoonmi. The maknae isn't usually paying attention to any girls in their school and seeing the way he interact with Yoonmi made Taehyung's headache worsen.

"What flavor do you want, Taehyunggie?" Hoseok asked him, snapping him out of his thoughts.

"Uh, I think I'll pass," he muttered. "I'll just wait for you guys at the soccer field. The noise here is making my head pound." He didn't wait for Hoseok's reply before walking away.

However, what he said was only half the truth. As much as he try to deny it, seeing his friends being close to the girl is what really get into him. He can't explain why he's feeling this way; why he was so irked when he saw his Jin hyung ruffle Yoonmi's hair or when Jungkook is trying his aegyos on her. Thinking hard for reasons was making his head throb more so he decided to just walk away from there.

Taehyung sat on one of the benches and let the silence of the now empty field wash over his confused mind. He propped both of his elbows on top of his knees before burying his face on his hands.

"Are you okay?" came a soft voice that he could recognize in a heart beat.

He looked up and saw her sitting beside him with two cones of icecream on her hands.

He straightened himself before he nodded. "Uh, yes, I'm okay."

Taehyung don't know why but his headache seemed to went away the moment he saw her there looking all coy and cute as she fidgeted with the cones.

Yoonmi silently extended one of the icecream cones to him, a pretty blush dusting her cheeks.

"For me?" he asked with wide eyes.

"It's one o-of our bestsellers," she stuttered her eyes looking everywhere but him. "And it can make y-your headache go away."

"How did you know I have headache?" he inquired as he reached for the cone, their fingers brushing softly against each other.

Yoonmi looked down at her own cone before answering, "I...I just noticed."

Taehyung's eyes softened and he suddenly felt light-headed. For the first time since his day started, he felt relaxed and happy.

"Thank you," he said sincerely and started the sweet treat.

Yoonmi glanced at him and said, "I should be the one thanking you for helping us last time."

Taehyung turned to her and smiled his adorable rectangular smile. "You can ask for my help anytime."

Yoonmi's heart skipped a beat and her cheeks turned beet red.

They ate in a comfortable silence and Taehyung was grinning like an idiot all the while. He realized that he liked being with her; she was like a breath of fresh air. He liked the peaceful ambiance whenever she was with him and he seemed to can't get enough of her cute blushes and endearing stutters.

"Hey, Yoonmi," he called out to her and it made the girl look up at him. "Would you---," 

Taehyung was cut off when she suddenly giggled. He didn't have time to react when the girl fished for a handkerchief from her skirt pocket and gently wiped the sides of his lips.

"You eat like a kid," she commented with an affectionate smile and just like before, butterflies fluttered around his tummy.

 

And that was the third time.

 

***

 

The fourth time Taehyung saw it was when a rainbow decorated the sky.

He was on his way to buy something from the convenient store that one rainy Saturday when he saw her walking down the road under a red umbrella.

The boy suddenly found himself following Yoonmi until she abruptly stopped in front of a waiting shed. His brows furrowed when he saw her remove her purple jacket and picked up something from the ground.

From where he stood, he can't see what she held on her arms until she closed her umbrella and took cover on the shed.

A...puppy?

His eyes softened when she wrapped her jacket around the shaking creature. And before he knew it, he was walking towards her.

"Hi, Yoonmi," he greeted as he, too, closed his umbrella and stood beside her under the shed.

Yoonmi was pleasantly surprised when she saw Taehyung there. "Oh, w-why are you here?"

The boy grinned at her. "Why are you here?"

Yoonmi blinked at his question before her eyes travelled to the puppy cradled in her arms. "Well, I saw t-this puppy and he's f-freezing so I t-thought that I should h-help him while we wait f-for his owner."

Taehyung smiled at her fondly with a hint of pride. She's too kind and cute for her own good. "That's the longest line you said to me since we met."

The girl looked up at him with a blush and she don't know what to say.

"How are you so sure that his owner will come and get him?" Taehyung asked with genuine curiosity.

"Well, he's got a collar and his name is Monggu," she started explaning. "A leash is a-attached to his collar so I assumed t-that he just got lost and his owner w-will come looking for him."

"I see," he nodded with understanding. "Then let's wait together."

Yoonmi's eyes widened at what he said. "You don't have to."

"But I want to," he smiled widely before ruffling her hair.

They stood in silence with the sound of the rain drops as their background. Taehyung would glance at her from time to time to see her smiling down softly at the brown puppy in her arms. It was such a warm sight and Taehyung found himself drawn to the girl even more.

The rain gradually turned into a drizzle but Taehyung didn't seem to notice because all of his attention was focused to Yoonmi.

Not long after, a boy around their age came running by. He almost went pass them if he hadn't noticed the brown fur snuggled comfortably in the girl's arm.

He jogged towards the pair before his eyes lit up in recognition, relief and happiness. "Monggu!"

Yoonmi was startled for a moment before she realized that the boy must be the puppy's owner.

"Are you his owner?" Yoonmi asked in that gentle voice of her.

The boy nodded eagerly as he stood in front of the girl. He stretched out both arms as he reached for his pet and Yoonmi happily let the puppy go. She was glad that Monggu finally reunited with his master.

"I don't know how to thank you for finding Monggu," the boy said with a grateful smile.

"It's okay," she smiled. "I'm glad to be of help."

"I'm Kim Jongin," the boy extended a hand to her.

"Park Y-yoonmi," she took his hand and shook it while Taehyung watched from the side with hawk-eyes.

"Please, let me thank you properly, Yoonmi-ssi," Jongin said. "Would you, perhaps, let me treat you to coffee some other time? I also wanted to buy you a new jacket." Then he gestured to her jacket wrapped around his puppy.

Yoonmi was about to decline his offer but Taehyung beat her to it. "It's okay, pal, your thanks was enough and I could buy her a new jacket.

Jongin blinked and that's when it hit him. "Oh, okay." He smiled sheepishly at the pair. "Thank you so much, Yoonmi-ssi and it's really nice meeting you." Jongin gave a nod to Taehyung before walking away.

Yoonmi shot Taehyung a confused look. "Why would you buy me a new jacket?"

Taehyung chuckled at her cute reaction. "Do I really have to answer that?

"You're w-weird," she said as she grabbed her umbrella.

"I've been told," he shrugged. "And you're talking a lot more today. Does it have something to do with the rain?"

Yoonmi blushed and fiddled with her umbrella. "I...uh...I..."

Taehyung patted her on the head. "Aigoo, what should I do with you?"

Yoonmi was left staring at him when he stepped out into the streets with a wide grin. The rain had completely stopped and the ground was glistening with puddles of water

"Yoonmi, come here, quick!" Taehyung excitedly called out to her. "You've got to see this!"

She clumsily made her way to his side and her eyes widened at the sight of a beautiful rainbow decorating the sky.

"Wow, it's so beautiful," she said in awe.

Taehyung watched Yoonmi as her eyes twinkled in amazement and her lips curved into an enchanting smile.

"Yes," he breathe. "It's so beautiful."

By now, Taehyung finally knew why the butterflies in his stomach flutter like crazy everytime he saw her smile like that.

 

And that was the fourth time...

 

***

 

The fifth time Taehyung saw it, he realized that he never wanted to take his eyes away from it again.

It was just a normal school day for every student except for a few boys who seemed to be preparing for something. They were currently in the middle of the soccer field and setting up the instruments they'll be using.

"Have you already told Eunhi, Namjoon hyung?" Jungkook asked as he tune the guitar in his hands.

"Yeah, I called her a while ago and she said that they're on their way," the blonde boy answered as he secured the strap of his bass guitar.

"Is everything ready?" Yoongi asked from his seat behind the drum set.

"We're ready but our vocalist seemed like having a mini heart attack," Hoseok commented as he played random notes on the keyboard.

His remark made the others burst into boisterous laughter.

"I can always take your place, hyung," Jungkook teased which earned him a smack on the head from Jin.

"Don't make him jealous, brat," Jin chided as he took out his violin from its case.

The maknae grinned cheekily. "But if noona doesn't like him, I can always take over."

"Did you hear that?" Jimin nudged Taehyung with the head of his electric guitar. "You better not mess this up, Taehyung, or else that sassy maknae will steal her from you."

"In his dreams," Taehyung scoffed as he adjusted the mic stand. He prepared for this and he can't afford to mess this up.

After a few minutes, students started crowding the field.

"Woah, who called all this people?" Yoongi asked, twirling the sticks in his hands.

"Well, I thought it would be much better if there would be audiences," Hoseok shrugged which earned him a glare from Taehyung.

Good thing it's already dismissal or else they're all dead. They even have to beg the principal to allow them to do this with the condition that it will not disturb any classes. Thank goodness for the perks of being the school's resident band.

"Yah, yah!" Namjoon called all of his bandmates attention. "I see them already. Let's get this started."

Yoongi tapped his drumsticks against each other three times before Jungkook, the lead guitarist, started plucking the first few chords of the song.

Taehyung's eyes locked with hers before he took a deep breath and started singing.

 

It's amazing how you can speak right through my heart

Without saying a word, you can light up the dark

Try as I may I can never explain

What I hear when you don't say a thing.

 

Yoonmi was blushing so hard as Taehyung gazed intently at her. Her heart was beating so fast but she can't seem to take her eyes away from him, too. He looked so handsome as he sang there in the middle of the field.

 As Taehyung reached the chorus, the other students started singing with him which made him smile and relax, gaining more confidence. Sure, he was used to singing in front of many people but not in front of the girl he likes the most. Taehyung was admittedly nervous at the moment.

 

The smile on your face lets me know that you need me

There's a truth in your eyes saying you'll never leave me

The touch of your hand says you'll catch me whenever I fall

You say it best when you say nothing at all.

 

He smiled at her like she was the only person he can see at the moment and he sang each word of the song with all of his heart.

 

All day long I can hear people talking aloud

But when you hold me near, you drown out the crowd

Try as they may they could never define what's been said between your heart and mine.

 

He took the mic off the stand and walked over to her when he reached the final chorus. The students parted and made way for him. They started cheering and squealing when he held her hand and put his forehead against hers. It was such a sweet gesture and Yoonmi can't help but swoon while madly blushing.

 

The smile on your face lets me know that you need me

There's a truth in your eyes saying you'll never leave me

The touch of your hand says you'll catch me whenever I fall

You say it best when you say nothing at all

 

The song ended but they stayed in that same position. The crowd grew quiet, as if waiting for Taehyung to say whatever he wanted to say.

"Park Yoonmi," he softly whispered, eyes lovingly gazing at hers. "I...I really, really, like you," Taehyung took a deep before asking, "Do you feel the same way too?"

"Yes! She freaking likes you, too!" someone from the crowd squealed and it won't take a genius to know that it was Eunhi.

Taehyung softly chuckled before asking another question that rocked Yoonmi's heart.

"If that's the case...then would you let me have the honor and pleasure of being your boyfriend?"

Yoonmi's heart was pounding in her ears and butterflies were wildly fluttering in her stomach. She can't think straight and his cool mint breath fanning across her face wasn't helping at all.

Taehyung started to get nervous when she didn't answer. He pulled away and stared at her until her pretty face broke out into the most beautiful smile Taehyung had ever seen.

Yoonmi nodded and even without words, Taehyung perfectly knew that he got his most awaited answer. He kissed her forehead and pulled her into a warm hug. The crowd, his friends and Eunhi cheered for the two.

"You're so darn cheesy, Kim Taehyung!" one of his friends yelled, making the crowd erupt in laughter. Taehyung could've joined them but he couldn't careless about anything else except for the girl in his arms and the overflowing happiness in his chest.

You say it best, when you say nothing at all...

 

That was the fifth time...And Taehyung swore he fell so hard in love.

 

FIN.

 

A/N:  aww...so cheesy! lmao! okay, I'm outta here!