A Stranger Appears

Paws The Music!

Loila’s POV

I walked to the park with my head down so I wasn’t noticed. I kept staring at the picture of me and the mysterious man. “Who is he?” I asked myself. I walked towards the drinking tap and decided it would be a good spot. I didn’t know what I was hoping to find but I knew it was important. I felt like I was being watched but I ignored that feeling and looked around me. A man who was dressed nicely came up to me and bowed. He looked like my Dad so I assumed he was the person in the picture. “Hello. My name is Rodney Robinson, your Dad asked me to meet you.” He said in English.

“Robinson? Does that mean-”

“I’m Brian’s brother, Uncle Rod!” He smiled a warm smile.

“Nice to meet you, Rod.” I held out my hand which he shook fiercely.

“I told you to call me Uncle Rod!” He pouted.

“I’m sorry this is just taking me a while to understand.”

“I assume Brian gave you that picture. May I?” I gave him the picture and he held it up high. “Yep, that’s you and I, you’re quite smart to realise that this wasn’t the same park in the picture.”

“This park is very important to me.” I smiled remembering all the things that happened here; I met MBLAQ, Hy playing on the playground and squealing because she got dirty, and Kimchi being buried. I wondered if I could still find his grave. I was on the verge of tears so I decided to change the topic. “You look so like my Dad!”

“We’re twins, although I always had a rounder face!” He pinched his own cheeks which surprised me because he had such a thin face. I heard a bin being knocked over behind us but when I turned around to look, no one was there.

“Animals?” I asked myself. Rod shrugged and continued.

“You sure have grown up since I last saw you.” He started to walk away so I followed behind him, while he continued to talk. “This picture was taken a few days before I left for Sydney.”

“You live in Sydney? I was there a week ago.”

“Yes, Brian told me that you worked in a CD store.”

“Yes, I just left.”

 

We had left the park and had stopped out the front of a small café. “Would you like to eat?” I nodded and we sat at a small table in the back, the café was almost empty except for a man with a black beard, hat and a newspaper. Rod ordered us a few drinks and the waiter left with our menus. I gave him a look of surprise and he laughed. “Where do you think Brian learnt how to speak Korean?”

“You speak Korean?”

“I taught your Dad, although he’s probably forgotten all of it by now.”

“No, he speaks to me in Korean.”

“Wow! That’s something I didn’t expect. He was always the lazy one…”

“So, what brings you to Korea?” I asked in Korean, trying to make conversation so it wasn’t awkward. I took a sip of my tea while I waited for an answer.

“Well, to be honest, you.” He replied in Korean. I choked on my drink and Rod got up from his seat and patted my back.

“Are you okay?”

“Yes, I just got a little surprised. Sorry Rod.” I felt weird calling him Uncle, considering we just met.

“A little surprised? I thought you stopped breathing!” He sat back in his chair and took a sip of his coffee, he instantly looked calm.

“Why did you come to Korea to meet me? I don’t even know you.”

“We used to be the best of friends when you were younger!” He didn’t look hurt because he was smiling. “Your Dad wanted me to talk to you.”

“Really? He’s worried about me?”

“I don’t know what Brian thinks. It’s good that you speak Korean,” He pointed out suddenly. “I actually prefer speaking in another language. Korean is one of my favourites.”

“You speak more than one language?” I felt like I was asking too many questions.

“French, Italian, Korean and of course English. It comes in handy for overseas jobs.”

“Wow!” My mouth dropped.

“Do you remember what my job was?” He raised an eyebrow. It seems like everyone can do that, except for me.

“I’m sorry, before today I didn’t even know I had an Uncle.” The man with the hat and beard gasped and when I turned around to face him, he violently opened the newspaper and covered his face.

“Don’t be sorry. I personally blame myself for not being able to see you.” He took another sip of coffee. “I’m a chef; I own my own restaurant in Sydney. Do you still want to be one?”

“How did you know that?”

“You used to help me in the kitchen. Why else did you think you wanted to be a chef?” He laughed. “You used to tell me every day that you would grow up to be just like me!”

“I did?” My brain was having a hard time collecting all this information.

“Every day. I miss those days; you looked so cute in that pink apron!””

“I don’t remember.” I said sadly, I wish I had fond memories of back then but I had no recollection.

“You were one of the only kids I knew which could cook a cake by themselves at the age of three.”

“I actually started private cooking classes a few weeks ago.”

“That’s great! I assume you have all the basic skills, yes?”

“I think so.” I didn’t know where this was going.

“Do you like working at that CD store?”

“It pays well and I got to meet some very important people because of it.”

“I see. Would you leave if a better job came up?”

“Depends on the job.” I answered honestly.

“What I’m trying to say is, would you like to work with me?” The other man gasped loudly again. I saw his face and noticed that he looked familiar.

 

 

G.O’s POV

Mir ran off to get closer and I had no choice but to follow. “I thought you would be against eavesdropping.” I whispered to Mir while facing away from Sky.

“I’m protecting Loila. Who is that guy?” Mir asked with a pout.

“Don’t tell me you’re already jealous, especially ofhim.”

“I’m not jealous!” He waved his arms and knocked over one of the bins. Before it crashed to the ground I covered Mir’s mouth with my hand and ducked behind a bush.

“MIR DON’T MAKE NOISE!”  I yelled as I picked up the bin, luckily none of the rubbish fell out.

“You’re the loud one; I’m surprised she hasn’t found out yet.”

“Do you want to be noticed?”

“He doesn’t seem dangerous, so I don’t see why not.” Mir grimaced. “Look they’re leaving!”

“Stay here. You’re too loud.” I left Mir at the park and went into the café where Sky and the man were in.  The more I listened to their conversation, the more I got interested. “So the man is Sky’s Uncle.” I whispered while pretending to read the newspaper.

“I’m sorry, before today I didn’t even know I had an Uncle.” Sky said. I gasped and quickly covered my face with the newspaper. “How did she not know about her Uncle?” I thought. The conversation continued.

“What I’m trying to say is, would you like to work with me?” Her Uncle named Rod asked. I gasped again and quickly regretted it because I wasn’t quick enough to cover my face and Sky and I locked eyes for a short moment.

“She’s going to know it’s me. I have to get away!”I left some money on the table and left the café with the newspaper covering my face. “Let’s go Mir!”

“That wasn’t obvious at all!” Mir said with sarcasm as we ran down to the street.

 

 

Loila’s POV

“I’m sorry; I barely know you and I love my job so-”

“I understand. I’ll give you my card; call me if you want to talk about anything. I would really like to get to know you, now that you’re older. It was nice meeting you, again.” Rod handed me some money and left. I used his money to pay for the drinks and decided to walk home. I knew I looked like an idiot the whole way home because I was smiling but for once, I didn’t care. I had an Uncle, who was very cool and even though I had just met him, he seemed to understand me.

 

“I’m home!” I called as in unlocked the front door. Hy and Bae both came running up to me. Hy grabbed my leg and whined.

“Play with me! We’re having a picnic!” I tried to shake her off my leg but since her cast had been removed it was almost impossible. Bae grabbed my arm.

“Save me! We’re having a picnic!” I laughed and patted Bae on the shoulder.

“You’re on your own.” I moved my hand closer to Hy’s hair which made her instantly jump off my leg.

“Don’t wreck my hair!” She ran off and pulled Bae with her.

“I’ll make it up to you later Bae, I promise!” I called as he looked back at me with an expression of true betrayal. I laughed and changed into my pyjamas, I had been in my uncomfortable work clothes all day and I needed to have a nap. I took off Kimchi’s collar and put it on the table, something was different though; there was a hand written note.